• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9628 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Winklecat

A Crimson Forum Event: Suggest a Song

It occurred to me one day, when I had to log on to Sage to talk about a song with Antolivi, that one of Crimson's inherent difficulties due to the chat filter is that it is a lot harder for us to get to know each other by those benign conversations about music and various other non-piratey things that pirates talk about. These things help us to find common ground, and shared experiences or likes and dislikes are always good for making pirates feel more like a cohesive group.

Then I saw Apollo's blog on the letter M for music...which gave me an idea!

I live in a coastal city, and I work near a large river. At lunch I often walk along the nearby river dyke across from the airport. I enjoy watching airplanes take off for hopefully exciting places, and I also enjoy the wildlife I see along the river. Yesterday a bald eagle fishing, today a seal and a great blue heron, as well as the usual seagulls and ducks...When I walk, I listen to music, as it helps me walk faster. (At my age, I need to get my heartbeat up on a regular basis!)

My playlist needs to be updated. So, with Apollo's inspiration to give me a bit of courage, here is a modest forum event to help expand my playlist.

Suggest a song (or several!) for my playlist.
You could suggest a song for a pirate lass longing to get back out to sea...
Or, if you know me, or would like me to get to know you, suggest a song that will remind me of you when I listen to it.
Or a song that you love to walk/run/dance to.

Please give reasons, a description, or a little story to go with your suggestion.
This is a totally subjective event! But some of the criteria I will consider may include:
1. Does your explanation or description make me smile/laugh out loud?
2. How well does it fit the category you are submitting it for?
3. Is it a song I add to my playlist?
4. Is it a completely new song for me?

Prizes: A sloop, and some wrapped badges (the number and type of which I have not decided, and it will depend a bit on how many prizes I want to give out). I may also be able to dig up a trinket or two.

As this is my first forum event, it is probably full of flaws, for which I apologize in advance. I have to start somewhere.

Some other things: english is my first language, but I also understand french to a modest degree. If you wish to submit a song in another language, a translation into english would be great! If you are good at links, feel free; as this is Crimson, no X-rated ones please!
If it isn't available on ITunes or youtube, you will definitely need to give me a link, if you want me to consider more than the title and your description.
Deadline for entries: Midnight Game Time on November 5, 2010.
Please use this thread for questions and to post your suggestions.
All prizes will be awarded on Crimson. After all, my goal is to get more pirates playing there, more often!

Winklecat,
Captain of Dark Guardians on Crimson,
SO of The Bootleggers on Sage
----------------------------------------
Winklecat
SO of The Bootleggers on Emerald
Royal and occasional monarch of The End
[Oct 14, 2010 6:15:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

Re: A Crimson Forum Event: Suggest a Song

Title of Song : Tu es comme ca
Singer : Marilou & Garou
Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWIVZ93zlkc&feature=related
Reason : This song is a mix of me and wink ... and I love listening it!

French song btw!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by etieti at Oct 23, 2010 10:00:52 AM]
[Oct 21, 2010 5:24:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

A Song that Reminds me of Winklecat: Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiw'Ole.
Not so much for the lyrics, but for the positive upbeat feel of the song. Whenever I am down it makes me smile, as does Wink in Y!PP.

A Song that I Love: Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon.
I think the wacky lyrics and funny howling is too much to resist, and I can never hit skip when it comes on.

A Song that I Run, (and drive too fast to): Hotel California by The Eagles.
Something about the lyrics and the end with the seemingly never ending guitar solo makes this probably my favorite song.

Edit: If I should win a prize, please pass it along to the next person, I play on Crimson far too little to enjoy it. Which is something I should fix. :)
Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Edit 1 times, last edit by lightmaster7 at Oct 22, 2010 10:34:57 PM]
[Oct 22, 2010 10:06:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Feet Don't Fail Me Now
Buckwheat zydeco..

That'll get ye heart rate up.. and ye booty bouncing!

buckwheat zydeco.com.
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Oct 25, 2010 6:40:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flamefire1

Ok, I have a few songs to post. I hope you like them, and I have had a lot of fun with these songs, so I hope that you do too. Just to let you know, these songs were not all popular songs, but they are better than a lot of songs being played on the radio nowadays. (I don't mean the country songs, they are still awesome.) If you are going to put these songs on your playlist, they are all available on itunes. :) Have fun!

First one: Sadie Hawkins Dance by Relient K
I like this song because it tells a funny story of a guy trying to get a date to the Sadie Hawkins Dance. I also like how the music sounds with the guitar, and my friends and I have been known to sing/scream this song while dancing around.

Second one: I'm Only Me When I'm With You by Taylor Swift
I really like this song because it has a nice fast beat, and the lyrics really get to me. I like how in this song Taylor expresses how she gets happy, and to me this song is a symbol of friendship between my friends and me.

Third one: Smile by Uncle Kracker
I like this song, because it reminds me of all the things in my life that makes me smile, and I get this warm fuzzy feeling inside :) I also think that Uncle Kracker did a good job singing this song, and I enjoy listening to this song.

Fourth one: I Want You by Kelly Clarkson
This song is one that i would listen to nonstop for hours on end. I've always been a Kelly Clarkson fan, and this is one of her better songs that has a good beat to it. I like how this song is so catchy, and fun to dance to. One of my friends and I would go crazy listening to this song. I like how in this song, it states that she (Kelly) wants someone, and she isn't afraid to let people know.

Fifth one: Check Yes Juliet by We Three Kings
I like this song because it has a fun beat, and during volleyball practice this song would be playing to get us all excited and smiling. I have heard this song even before the other volleyball girls, as I have listened to a wide range of music, not just the songs that are always being played on the radio. I can't help but smile when I hear this song. I don't really know why though. :)

Sixth one: All In by Lifehouse
I really like this song for its lyrics, it has a strong feeling/meaning to it. Its of a guy who is all in to be with a girl for the rest of his live, or, if you believe in God like I do, it is about someone who is meeting God, and wants to be with him forever, no matter what it takes to be with him. I don't know what you will get out of this song, but this is what I get out of it.

Seventh one: I Won't Apologize by Selena Gomez
This song is about how Selena has been used by a guy so that he can get another girl jealous. It is also about how she really liked him, and thought that he liked her, and she won't apologize for who she is.

Eighth one: High Of '75 by Relient K
I like this song for it's exciting beat and funny lyrics. It is about how feelings and how they relate to the weather, because they always change. It is also about how they are happy with a high of '75. I like this song also because it is just a really fun song. I have had a lot of fun dancing to this song in the yard with all of my pets looking a me like I'm weird. (I don't blame them) :)

Thanks, Flamefire1
Flamefire on Crimson
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Flamefire1 at Oct 29, 2010 9:15:32 PM]
[Oct 29, 2010 9:03:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Winklecat

Thanks to Antolivi, Sxygrl, Wildsrose and Flamefire for participating.
I really enjoyed all your suggestions, and have added several to my playlists.
Now for prizes.
Flamefire: a sloop
All of your songs are great. I really liked your descriptions. The Sadie Hawkins one made me chuckle.
Antolivi, Wildsrose and Sxygrl: a trinket and a wrapped labour badge each.
Flamefire, send me a pm about when we can get together on Crimson so I can give you your prize. If you log on and see Emerlaus/Antolivi or Laura, they can often find me or pass on a message.
Thanks to all of you for making my first forum contest a fun experience, and for expanding my musical horizons!
Winklecat
Captain of Dark Guardians on Crimson
SO of The Bootleggers on Sage
Winklecat
SO of The Bootleggers on Emerald
Royal and occasional monarch of The End
[Nov 10, 2010 9:18:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

Thanks for the fun event! I spent a good 2 hours listening to my whole I-tunes library and ended up picking the 3 songs I had thought of before I started. smile

Was also a lot of fun listening to the other entries, some good songs I had never heard before.
Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Nov 10, 2010 11:15:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates