• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4948 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Justinmickey

Wicked Weekend: ROMS: Viridian

Wicked Weekend Events, Anchovia, and I present ROMS: Viridian!

ROMS (short for Rogue OM Squad) is a game played in Shore Leave. It's pretty popular among folks there, and we've decided that it's time to make a large, live version of it on Viridian. If you've played there, you'll have some experience here.

A condensed version of the Y!PPedia explanation of ROMS can be found below:
Condensed version wrote: 
Rogue OM Squad, or ROMS as it is known in short, is a forum role-playing game, based on the popular game Mafia.

It consists of a town of around 30 players (although this number varies per game). Most of these players are innocent. However, a select group of them are the Rogue OMs, or Rogues for short. The Rogues know each others' identities, while each innocent knows only their own status. The innocent townspeople must discover who the Rogues are.

Over the course of the game, the innocent players are trying to lynch all the Rogues, whereas the Rogues are trying to lynch or ban all of the innocents.

Each round consists of a lynching period (Day) and a banning period (Night), the length of which vary. In some games, no player posting is permitted during the Night.

During each lynching period, all players have the opportunity to vote for someone who they think is a Rogue. Players comb each others' posts and voting patterns for evidence to decide whom they are most suspicious of and would like to lynch. The rogues, however, attempt to mislead the town and lynch innocents while protecting their own from suspicion. They want to give the appearance of being helpful townies. Exact voting rules depend on the game, but generally whoever has received the most votes at the end of a specified period is considered lynched, and their status as innocent or rogue is revealed (along with any roles).

Once the lynching period is over, the banning period begins. One Rogue, either through an anonymous rogue account or through the game's moderator, announces the name of the player who is banned. The banned player has no further participation in the game, and the next round begins with another lynching period.

Lynched players reveal their status in a death scene immediately after they are voted out. Banned players may also post a death scene, but they may not reveal their status.

If at any time the number of innocent players is equal to the number of Rogues, the game ends in a rogue victory. If all of the rogues eliminated, then the game ends in a town victory.

For a more in-depth look at the culture and history of the ROMS games, visit the New Player's Guide to ROMS.

There are different versions of ROMS. There are "vanilla" games, where no roles are involved, and there are "role" games. We'll be having both a vanilla and a role game (role starting first).

Role games are exactly like ROMS, except players will have a special ability that will not be known until the game has started and each player has recieved a tell from a moderator (Anchovia or I).

Each day will last 10 minutes, and each night will last for 5 minutes. Night role abilities must be sent in a /tell to Justinmickey, or that ability will not be used. Bans must be sent in a /tell to Justinmickey from the Rogue Captain. (We will make sure you know who the Rogue Captain of each team is, if you're a rogue)

This is how we're going to set up the game:

On Saturday, October 30, at 11:30 A.M. G.T. (do /info in game to find out game time), Anchovia's mansion on Prolix Purlieu will be open to invites. You can send tells to Anchovia or Justinmickey to enter. The first 20 will be accepted into ROMS games, and the first 10 will be accepted into the role ROMS game. For any reason if 1 of the first 20 members leaves, we will be selecting the next person in line. (We'll keep a list.)

Prizes! Prizes! Prizes!
The prizes that will be awarded in ROMS: Viridian are the following:
- The winning team will recieve a white or black looped ribbon (depending on if you're an innocent or not).
- The winning team will also be placed in a portrait with the moderators.
- Prizes were funded by the Viridian Idol 2.

You are only submitted on the winning team IF you are alive at the very end of the game.

Examples:
- Rogues win. Anchovia and Anubiss are the last two remaining rogues. Martobain was a rogue, however he was lynched. Therefore, the people that win prizes are Anchovia and Anubiss.
- Townies win. Justinmickey and Monlizzy are the last two remaining players, and are innocents. Aethonx and Evilduck are innocents, however they were banned/lynched. Therefore, the winners of the team are Justinmickey and Monlizzy.

*Note: Anchovia and I will be practicing ROMS at random times on Viridian, so feel free to hit one of us up with a tell as to when we'll be doing another ROMS exercise.

Questions? Reply!
----------------------------------------
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Justinmickey at Oct 6, 2010 5:30:30 PM]
[Oct 6, 2010 4:57:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ac1789

Re: ROMS: Viridian

Event endorsedddd. Also ahwww poor Martencakes :( I'd share my prize with you babes, don't worry! Cause you know, I actually won and all. <3
Anubiss Follower of Whiterose
The best member of the Justice League
Looking in mirrors to see who's in them
Great Avatar by DarkFaery;Tab picked up by Alekto<3

[Oct 6, 2010 5:16:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ichlet8

Can I opposite of-endorse this? I'd gladly pay to rid Viridian of this fad. :/

...There's no...puzzles...or creativity...involved. It seems like more of a real life type game. Sorry, but I don't see the merit.
~Ichigokuro, Viridian

It's disgusting how little that you try;
the existential equivalent of pink eye.
[Oct 6, 2010 5:54:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

As a ROMs pro and overall winner I feel extremely insulted, you guys didn't use me on the example :(.
Roseh

[Edit 1 times, last edit by MimiLinda at Oct 6, 2010 6:08:04 PM]
[Oct 6, 2010 6:07:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tanabear

As a ROMs pro and overall winner I feel extremely insulted, you guys didn't use me on the example :(.

QFT

As a twice rogue winner, I am completely appauled.
Tanabear on the Meridian Ocean
SO of GTLDubstep
[Oct 6, 2010 6:18:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

...There's no...puzzles...or creativity...involved. It seems like more of a real life type game. Sorry, but I don't see the merit.
I don't understand the point of this post. If you don't care about it, then you don't have to participate. Thrashing an event because you don't like it is just in poor taste. I think quite a few people disagree with you. Go to Shore Leave, and go to the billion of practices that we do with these games.

Next time, don't post unless you have a question or helpful comment to add.

Thanks.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Oct 6, 2010 6:53:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ichlet8

This is another post that doesn't have a question or helpfulitalicized comment to add.

i hoep dis dun maek u mad lolll /endtroll
~Ichigokuro, Viridian

[Oct 6, 2010 9:11:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

Well, not to feed the troll, but dude, you're wrong. You say there's no creativity involved, but never having played ( obviously, from the comment), you don't know what you're talking about.

There is a great deal of creativity used to convince people either (A) you aren't a rogue; and/ or (B) this other person is one... and to do so in 10 minutes would be rather challenging.

However, as was said, you don't like the idea then by all means don't play. But don't come in here trying to ruin the fun of others. That's just... pathetic, really.

I've never played it live. I might just join this one to try it out. :) Just have to try to get there nice and early so I can get in on the role game! :P
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[Oct 6, 2010 10:14:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ichlet8

I've played. It's lame. There's no creativity in randomly typing names out, and hoping you're right. As I said, if this were real life, and you could play off verbal cues or body language, there might be some merit. Sadly, you're taking shots in the dark when you try to guess which pixel person is the assigned "rogue."

I don't like the idea, and I won't play, but I'm not sure how I'm ruining the fun for others. You can still play. The event can still take place. I was voicing my opinion for the "game," in general. This is a forum, right? We can have opinions. As it stands now, I think I probably have more right to post considering I've played it and you haven't. :S But, by all means, continue to blindly suck up to random events personnel. It's precious++.
~Ichigokuro, Viridian

[Oct 7, 2010 12:21:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wehe

Re: Wicked Weekend: ROMS: Viridian

A game of Mafia on Puzzle Pirates? You sir just made my day.

I must say I don't agree that this game takes 0 creativity. Deception, and perception will get you far in this game, especially if it's with people you know(Reverse psychology working is awesome!). Of course it sucks when they vote you off first turn as a safety net. :(. But, like many other games, takes a good deal of luck.

Count me in =)
Wehe on all oceans.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wehe at Oct 7, 2010 5:14:06 AM]
[Oct 7, 2010 5:04:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Endorsed!
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Oct 7, 2010 9:47:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

Isn't the merit to... have fun? I'm sorry but since when did I leave a GAME and go into some merit nonsense...
Antheanian forever, no matter what tries to stop me!

Apollo tells ye, "Where would be the fun giving a warning? That would spoil MY fun!"
[Oct 7, 2010 10:13:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

Isn't the merit to... have fun? I'm sorry but since when did I leave a GAME and go into some merit nonsense...

2D pirating is serious biz.
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Oct 7, 2010 11:27:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Maybe not the way you play it. And bear in mind the only game(s) you've seen have used a large number of inexperienced players. They were practice runs. ROMS isn't a case of randomly naming names and hoping you're right.

And it doesn't have to be a RL game, given there have been a lot of forum versions of the game in SL that are always successful.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Oct 7, 2010 12:08:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

A reminder that the weekend before Halloween, there will be smaller ROMS games too.

Justinmickey and I will be coordinating the organisation of that; I'll get a group on voice chat, but those who prefer not to use voice will play purely on Viridian.

Note that where my plan is for (multiple?) games of 10, with up to 5 roles pre-assigned, in addition to an elected mayor, these Wicked games may well use even moar roles.

My event on the 23rd will be fairly simple, but open to all without committing to multiple hours - the emphasis will be on fast and fun play - but this should be even better, with 20+ players!

Finally, Justin and I have discussed perhaps having a tour of the oceans with this. Or more ;)
[Oct 7, 2010 12:49:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tanabear

Maybe not the way you play it. And bear in mind the only game(s) you've seen have used a large number of inexperienced players. They were practice runs. ROMS isn't a case of randomly naming names and hoping you're right.

And it doesn't have to be a RL game, given there have been a lot of forum versions of the game in SL that are always successful.

VOTE: Evilduck for looking at me funny :(
Tanabear on the Meridian Ocean
SO of GTLDubstep
[Oct 7, 2010 7:14:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBCPlamondon

I had fun at the trial until they lynched me LOL. Tanabear was just too smart for my own good :P
Diamond on Meridian Ocean

*It's a game...it's supposed to be fun.

Lovely avatar by Evilduck
[Oct 8, 2010 9:51:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

I actually hate you

-----
This looks like a lot of fun! :D Never played it before but i look forward to it

just one request
more prizesss :D
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Oct 9, 2010 4:18:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amburwashere

Yay, this is fun! Count me and Riss in :)
Ambur
Hunter and Viridian Ocean
Banned on 9-29-11
[Oct 14, 2010 9:51:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    amburPP@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

Just a reminder, this is taking place this weekend. I've had some people ask to do some practice ones in-game and apologies for not doing some. Work and traipsing around Europe can interfere sometimes. >_>

Anyway, in the event that there is a blockade at the same time* we'll change the time.

*If there is, pay better be 8k a seg >_>
Anchovia
[Oct 27, 2010 9:23:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Just a note to everyone:
This event WILL be tomorrow. I understand that I haven't been on in a while, but I'll still be able to attend. So remember, first 10 people is a role game, and the 11-20 section is the vanilla game.

What side are you on? :D
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Oct 29, 2010 1:48:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Due to problems with timing, we'll be doing it at 11:30 GT AM tomorrow, Sunday, October 31.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Oct 30, 2010 10:04:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rissarissa13

-____- So i clear up my work schedule for this and now this is even worse cause I'm working tomorrow around the same time.. Awesomesauce. Anyways, now I'm not sure if I can make this.. Good Luck.
Riss -Sweet Surrender -Princess of Imperial Coalition - Meridian

But, even when our hopes give way to reality and we finally have to surrender to the truth, it just means we've lost today battle. Not tomorrows war. - Grey's Anatomy

[Oct 30, 2010 11:27:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

We rearranged the time, yet again. :D

It's right after the familiar tournaments, which is basically at 12:30 PM GT. (30 minutes!)

See you guys there!
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Oct 30, 2010 12:17:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Results!

Role ROMS - Rogues win! The theme was Scream.
*note - Don't read the whited out part if you haven't seen the Scream movies.
Rogue #1 - Billy Loomis - Anubiss
Rogue #2 - Stu Macher - Geologist - Lynched
Rogue #3 - Mickey - Whiterose
Role #1 - Pyromaniac - Mercaidia - Lynched
Role #2 - Doctor - Vsmeifudare - Lynched
Role #3 - Medium - Rissarissa
Townie #1 - Oinky
Townie #2 - Dragonblade - Lynched
Townie #3 - Babehun - Banned
Townie #4 - Krull - Banned
Townie #5 - Ambur - Burst into flames (Role attack)

Portrait - HERE

Vanilla ROMS - Townies win! The theme was Halloween.
Townie #1 - Rissarissa
Townie #2 - Anubiss

Townie #3 - Whiterose - Mod-lynched (logged off during game)
Townie #4 - Geologist - Banned
Rogue #1 - Michael Myers - Dragonblade - Lynched

Portrait - HERE

Anubiss was the only person to win a game twice.
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Justinmickey at Oct 30, 2010 4:28:51 PM]
[Oct 30, 2010 4:16:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates