• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4334 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
atteSmythe

Re: What Happens to Property When Player No Longer Pays? Reply to this Post

That's what I get for editing my sentences instead of retyping 'em. I was writing about creating an alt for testing blah blah blah, and switch me sentence around when I realized I already have a suitable alt.

atteSmythe,
who created said alt yesterday so he could double-check some greenie-specific messages
----------------------------------------

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 27, 2004 3:06:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Obie

Re: OMness Reply to this Post

xagoloth wrote: 
Cleaver wrote: 
Basically the solution right now is to ask an OM (or Nemo and I) to fix whatever is causing the problem. If needs be I can login as awol people and give away their stuff, although I'd need a good reason! Shop deeds in limbo is certainly a good reason (although maintainence fees would take care of the worst case of these).

EEEEEP ! You can login as us ?!

I can see a rummed-up, really bored Cleaver logging in on 2 separate clients, one with Thanos, and one with Penn, and having them talk smack to each other on the docks for an hour or so...at least I think that'd be hillarious!

Obie,
who is reminded of this
Obie
Argonaut wrote: 
I'm glad brown will become easier to get. I think it's very important to wear brown pants while sailing in Ruby.

[Feb 27, 2004 4:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

xagoloth wrote: 
Cleaver wrote: 
Basically the solution right now is to ask an OM (or Nemo and I) to fix whatever is causing the problem. If needs be I can login as awol people and give away their stuff, although I'd need a good reason! Shop deeds in limbo is certainly a good reason (although maintainence fees would take care of the worst case of these).

Well...they're gods after all! They created our universe and they can manipulate it at will!
[Feb 27, 2004 4:54:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

xagoloth wrote: 

I dunno about the logging in as people part, but access to all accounts is actually a pretty common power. Administrators need to have full access to everything for debugging and, well, administration purposes. One of the responsibilities of being an administrator, then, is that you don't use your powers for evil*.

This is also why you should never, ever, EVER give your password to anyone who asks for it, even if it's a dev. If they're really whom they claim to be, they don't *need* your password to access and/or manipulate your account.

* Well, except when you're administrating for an evil company or something.
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Feb 27, 2004 6:15:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bladen

What would happen if, say, you deleted an alt, but then (perhaps the next day, while you were sitting at work, musing about the past evenings' fun, unable to log in and checkthings like this) you realise that that alt was still holding something (say, I don't know, a skull dagger) when you deleted him.

Would there be any way to retrieve that? Would it, perhaps, just fall into the hands of the main (or first) character in the account?
[Mar 4, 2004 3:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

It's gone.
[Mar 4, 2004 3:04:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bladen

Nemo wrote: 
It's gone.

Well, at least (hypothetically speaking, of course) it was very old, and probably close to crumbling.

But that brings up a question for me. Why not have it so that when an alt is deleted, as long as it's not the last alt in an account, all property and poe gets transfered to another alt on the account?

Is it just a matter of 'if you're too dumb to move it yourself, you deserve to lose it'? Or is there other reasoning behind it? Would it be much to implement in the game?

Edit: That feature could also save some "my sister/brother deleted one of my characters and I lost allmy stuff" complaints

P.S. Thanks for such a quick response, by the way, Nemo!
[Mar 4, 2004 3:15:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Bladen wrote: 
Is it just a matter of 'if you're too dumb to move it yourself, you deserve to lose it'?

Though I wouldn't say it like that, this is a big part of the reason.
In general, we avoid "help you not be dumb" programming, since you'd probably prefer "help you have fun" programming.

Especially in this case, who's to say you want this junk transferred to your alt? Also, destroying unused finished goods is good for the economy.
[Mar 4, 2004 3:25:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Bladen wrote: 
Why not have it so that when an alt is deleted, as long as it's not the last alt in an account, all property and poe gets transfered to another alt on the account?

Not to take anything away from the "you deserve to lose it" line of thought (which is near and dear to my own black heart), this also seems like an ideal way to give your main pirate 100 poe, a foil, and some cheap clothes every couple of minutes. Create, delete. Create, delete.

Fixable? Sure. Worth the trouble? Doubt it.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Mar 4, 2004 6:12:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Not to mention that that money would be whisked.
[Mar 4, 2004 6:22:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goldblood

Nemo wrote: 
Not to mention that that money would be whisked.

That was my first thought, but wouldn't it actually just get buried or transferred into local bank accounts? That said, I'm all for leaving it how it is now. Serves you bloody right, frankly.
Goldblood
Captain, Double or Nothing!
[Mar 4, 2004 7:12:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://vector.chocorisu.com/    chocorisu [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Transfering funds between alts? Reply to this Post

How do you transfer stuff between alts?

As far as I know, you need both characters in a trade to be logged in at the same time to swap. So how can you tranfer stuff between an alt and a main?

What is this greenie missing?

Long John Grey.

(Other than a trusted 3rd party)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 15, 2004 1:05:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I really like this idea of having Thanos and Penn talking it up on the docks.

Do it!

DO IT!
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Mar 15, 2004 1:12:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

atteSmythe wrote: 
I'm intolerably curious about what might happen to a ship when the player holding the deed is deleted. I think I'm going to

Tested. Nothing exciting. Thanks though, for the help, nameless OM!

Next money sink idea:
The literal money sink! Let's get two flags at war, throw a couple mil on a sloop, and send it down to meet Davey Jones!

atteSmythe,
who thinks he'd have trouble getting contributors

[Edit 1 times, last edit by atteSmythe at Mar 15, 2004 2:11:52 PM]
[Mar 15, 2004 2:11:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Ian_Rhodes

was someone not ment to be on the ship when you deleted your alt holding it?
so you saw what happened to them?
Hypnos Score: 4.
[Mar 15, 2004 7:56:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Re: Transfering funds between alts? Reply to this Post

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
How do you transfer stuff between alts?

(Other than a trusted 3rd party)

if they are both officers in the same crew you can use a ships coffers to do it.
Glub (again)
[Mar 16, 2004 12:24:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starblaze

HELP! Captain Missing Reply to this Post

This problem is very current for us as our Captain left in October, very angry at the booches in the game and said he was going to play ATITD instead. He said he would be back occasionally, but he has not. We sure wish he would as we really respect and love him as our founder and trainer--but no log-ons, and no answers to the yahoo email we have for him.

He has the deeds to our all our market ships,
He has sets of maps that we purchased and now can't use.
He left with a set of maps borrowed from a hearty.
We also can't get the ships charted since we don't have the deeds.
He has 6 distillery stalls that are going to go dark at some point when they run out of poe.
There are some things we won't be able to do crew wise without him, although I am not sure what they are since the problems have not occurred yet.

Question--what happens to these ships if he just stays off line?
Question--How do we know when and if his sub will run out and what will happen to all the ships then? (I thought I read somewhere that the deed would appear on the ship, is that correct)

Question? Is there any way an OM might make one of the crew a manager of the stalls so that they could be salvaged? Or are they just a lost cause?

Question? Is it possible to transfer a stall to another owner?

Question? How long can someone stay an absentee Captain without losing the position?

Question? How would we know if he does not pay and thereby loses the subscription and character and what would happen to our crew?
Thanks for your help!
Star is ULTIMATE in the economic game!

For great service and prices-- visit Star's stalls on Spring; Furnishing, Distilling, IM; her distilling stall on Tinga, her IM on Xi, and the apoth she runs with Mirror on Spring, The Colored Coil.
[Nov 12, 2004 6:39:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Talk to the OM on duty in game and ask them all these things. They can help you in a variety of ways but the answers are very dependent on the specifics of the situation, and we'd basically be just speculating on what an OM might be willing to do.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Nov 12, 2004 6:46:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
elderp

atteSmythe wrote: 
atteSmythe wrote: 
I'm intolerably curious about what might happen to a ship when the player holding the deed is deleted. I think I'm going to

Tested. Nothing exciting. Thanks though, for the help, nameless OM!

Next money sink idea:
The literal money sink! Let's get two flags at war, throw a couple mil on a sloop, and send it down to meet Davey Jones!

atteSmythe,
who thinks he'd have trouble getting contributors

Was someone on the ship when you deleted the alt holding the deed? If so what happened to the person on the ship (or the ship itself for that matter)? I am curious but not curious enough to waste a sloop over it though.
[Nov 12, 2004 7:19:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

That post is obsolete. Now, when a character is deleted, the deed goes on the bid table and can be picked up by any officer of the ship's crew.

atteSmythe,
figuring the specifics of those questions are probably moot now

[Nov 12, 2004 7:25:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

atteSmythe wrote: 
That post is obsolete. Now, when a character is deleted, the deed goes on the bid table and can be picked up by any officer of the ship's crew.

atteSmythe,
figuring the specifics of those questions are probably moot now

Has this code ever been invoked aside from players inttentionaly deleting their characters? Once you are a subscriber and your subscription finishes, is your character ever deleted as part of a clean up? If the answer to that last one is 'no', then the only time you can have a deed show up on the ship is when a non-subscriber (and thus non-officer) buys a ship, and gets it delivered before the end of the trial and then dissapears to later be cleaned up.
[Nov 12, 2004 8:36:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

shagie wrote: 
Has this code ever been invoked aside from players inttentionaly deleting their characters? Once you are a subscriber and your subscription finishes, is your character ever deleted as part of a clean up? If the answer to that last one is 'no', then the only time you can have a deed show up on the ship is when a non-subscriber (and thus non-officer) buys a ship, and gets it delivered before the end of the trial and then dissapears to later be cleaned up.

The answer to the first question, thus far, is 'no.'

And you're missing a case - subscribed players who delete a deed-carrying alt without checking that alt's inventory first.

atteSmythe,
not sure on the greenie purges

[Nov 12, 2004 9:13:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates