• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7013 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
abacadafa

10 Boggling OOO WTFails Reply to this Post

Everyone makes mistaeks eventually. Um, mistakes. Some mistakes are easy to explain--oversight, human error, etc. Other mistakes, like the ones on this list, just leave one wondering, "What the frack were they thinking!?"

Here are 10 things that put the OOO in OOOps.

• No news is actually bad news
    http://www.threerings.net/news/ hasn't been updated since 2008. Ouch!

• Adding positive integers is really, really hard.
    OOO's Facebook game Bite Me has a PVP mini-game. If you win, you're told that you've won, say, +1105 Turf Points. A casual observer would think that this means that the player has won a bit more than one thousand Turf Points. They would be wrong.

The player has probably won over ten thousand additional Turf Points. As an added math-torturing bonus, a player's score on the Friend's Covens and Top Coven's list will have two different values for the player's score if that player has just won a PVP. Yes, Bite Me is a mathematical Twilight Zone where X does not have to equal X if it doesn't feel like it.

• Puzzle Pirates Progress Quest
    http://apps.facebook.com/pptreasure/ is YPP in Facebook form--minus other pirates, minus most of the puzzles, minus pretty much all of the fun...

It's amazing how awful this game is. There's two puzzles, and neither one really keeps score. Both foraging (sans boxes/baskets/crates/jars/special power pieces/entertainment value...) and rigging are available and both puzzles are "winnable" by matching enough items. There's no apparent time limit, no way to keep score other than filling up a progress bar, no report on how well you did, no way to play the puzzles except in short bursts that suddenly end, etc.

It's not every day that you see a video game get ripped off this badly by the same company that made the original game in the first place.

• To tell the truth, Hot Pirate on Pirate action isn't a priority after all
    The Monkey Boat is, at least, a creative idea for stopping the fruit-floating problem. It's a huge shame that the monkeys feel the need to crash legitimate PVP fights, even ones between ships that aren't carrying any cargo beyond that needed to do a PVP fight.

• Hard Coded Variables
    It was revealed in http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=151821 that, although the ratio of types of puzzle stations on ships vary, OOO decided to take the lazy road and use a fixed ratio when it comes to dividing Atlantis booty. This ratio has meant that Atlantis carpenters were shortchanged during the prizes prize divvy for the past few years.

• Hi, New Player. Welcome to Loading Screen Hell!
    It's hard not to like the concept behind Puzzle Pirate Adventures. Instead of forcing new players to download all of the main game, why not let them try out a smaller demo? Unfortunately, PPA had so many features--and so many loading screens--that it failed at the very task it was supposed to fix.

• These boots weren't made for walking
    Puzzle Pirates's art is, for the most part, great and an integral part of the game. Clothes sell quite a bit of doubloons. Injuries are desired so much that people sink ships deliberately to get them. The only problem issue is that our pirates are rather slow in the walking department.

Fortunately, that's not an issue...except when you're trying to get your pirate to @&*(&$ move around the @*@#$ deck of the @*#&( ship trying to find a @&*(& open puzzle station and the @#$(*& lego pirate @*&$# refuses to move faster than a @#&*($ sloth.

#$*& that, I'm (s...l...o...w...l...y) moving to the next item.

• For sale: No shirts, no shoes
    Considering how many doubloons are spent on fancy clothes in YPP, one would think that OOO would have fancy custom clothes for Real Money prices in all of their games. One would be wrong--all clothes in Bite Me are purchasable in in-game money and you can't even pay to change your hair style/hair color/skin color like you do in YPP (or at least not yet). It's like OOO doesn't want to make easy money from their fans in this game.

• Pay $2.50 for Permanent PVP Annoyance
    Bite Me lets you spend 10 Sanga Credits (roughly $2.50) to get 2 Minions. These function as level 1 fighters in PVP fights who can never level up. With the level cap at 20 and rising, buying minions is is like bringing a spork to a gun fight.

Minions are good for a few things. They can soak up 10 points of damage and give you a higher energy pool to work with. They're awful at attacking, though. If you send out, say, 6 attackers, you hope that the minions aren't picked as they'll noticeably nerf any attack that they happen to participate in. Once you spend your credits, it's Bring Your Crappy Permanent Ally to PVP Day, every day.

• Hide and Go Scream
    There is a respectable market for casual wargames--just look at the number of Advance Wars cartridges out there. OOO's entry in this market, Bang Howdy!, had a cartoony style (yay!), 3d graphics (okay...), fast paced turn-based action (sounds interesting), and opaque buildings that could conceal even friendly units until the player spent valuable time rotating the map (Ouch.).

Edit: One apostrophe (in a place where there should never be an apostrophe) removed.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by abacadafa at Mar 25, 2010 6:39:55 AM]
[Mar 25, 2010 6:37:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Re: 10 Boggling OOO WTFails Reply to this Post

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
War General/Princess/Old/Not Also Cynestria
[Mar 25, 2010 8:38:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

I like Puzzle Pirates Treasure. It's not a game with an objective, to me. Just a fun mini-game to spend some time.
Besides that, it's in Beta.

I know my mom likes to play it on Facebook, too. She probably wouldn't ever be interested in the full version of Puzzle Pirates with all the intricacies therein and social networking and whatnot.
But a simple game like that works for her.

And it remind me a lot of Treasure Madness, which I love, although I've learned that the mini games there aren't about getting the highest combos you can, generally, but about completing them as quickly as you can.

All depends on your expectations, I suppose.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Mar 25, 2010 9:21:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

Most areas aren't big enough for you to have to spend more than a few seconds walking, anywhere. The only time I've been annoyed about it was when I was trying to find skeletons on an overbuilt island, where there was no room to walk even from one row of buildings to another.

Still, some fair points. I wouldn't say that all of these should be considered failures, and I wouldn't say that these are the company's only (or even most prominent) shortcomings. But you're here playing the game, so why not take your complaints to Game Design? I'm sure many of these already have dedicated threads, and you can offer your input as to how they can be improved.
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Mar 25, 2010 9:46:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I just want to say...

Here are 10 things that put the OOO in OOOps.

Genius wording.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 25, 2010 10:01:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Some of the supposed 'failures' you've listed seem pretty funny.

Puzzle Pirates Progress Quest

Facebook games appeal to large amounts of people looking for mindless point and click games, that take little to no time. You only have to look at the success of Zynga to see that in action . This company has made a decent profit on nothing more than point and click games. Let's take Farmville for an example; you open it up, plough your field, plant your crops and wait the time for them to grow. Once grown, you harvest said crops and start all over again. People don't want detailed gameplay while they're drinking their coffee at 7am half asleep still.

For sale: No shirts, no shoes

Due to the audiences and game set up differing from MMORPG's the way the games make money vary too. You can't expect OOO's to use the same basis in every game they make just to please existing customers. God knows if they did that'd would more than likely make your 'failures' list too.

Pay $2.50 for Permanent PVP Annoyance

While I haven't played Bite Me this sounds like a set up a lot of Facebook games use for PvPing parts of the game. You're able to boost your crew/mob/clan numbers with computer players. As I've said before this isn't very different from any other game. In a lot of other facebook games you pay for nothing more than a number, at least with Bite Me it sounds like you have some control over when and where you can use these little guys.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Mar 25, 2010 10:47:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

For sale: No shirts, no shoes

Due to the audiences and game set up differing from MMORPG's the way the games make money vary too. You can't expect OOO's to use the same basis in every game they make just to please existing customers. God knows if they did that'd would more than likely make your 'failures' list too.

Indeed. For example: in Bang! Howdy, selling clothes didn't really convince anyone to pitch real money into the system, because while actually playing, the avatar was a static picture the size of a postage stamp.

While it's easy to criticize, it'd be interesting to see what your proposed fixes are for these problems, and why you think your way would produce a better, more balanced game that you'd want to play.
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Mar 25, 2010 11:57:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Facebook :

The official site (a blog link repost fan club i think) is closing.The parrott logo..
The new site .. PP updater first page logo pic// app is dated 2001-2009. I would not try to click after reading others could not get it to work.
Nothing seems to work on the site...for me..
It states is NOT an official PP site.

Never heard of Bite Me.

I inderstand PP developing a mini static type game where ye can go and just play the puzzles.

They need to either stand alone and be rated.. for your efforts .. and perhaps show others top scores. or be in some kind of environment.

However.. No matter what.. It must be updated all the time.. supervised and monitored and somehow interactive ,, like being able to send someone an invitational challenge.

Somehow.. I am not getting results from facbook search for Puzzle pirates that ye all seem to have found.

Somewhat of a let down I would say.. The perfect opportunity to funnel in freshness. Seems to have gone stale before it happened.

Probably extracurricular that someone volunteered for.
This is kind of like a runnning -around- with -your- pants -down unprofessional representation with , probably the most personally interconnected network or people around the globe.

I have found.. and been found by several close heartys on here. So I know the parrot site works.. somehow.
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Mar 25, 2010 12:37:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

If you're that upset about it, the door is --> thataway.

You're welcome to use it.

However, that said - yeah, there've been some booches. Of course there have. No company is perfect, and for a company that started with like three people, they're doing pretty well, given how many spinning plates they have.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Mar 25, 2010 2:52:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Let's take Farmville for an example; you open it up, plough your field, plant your crops and wait the time for them to grow. Once grown, you harvest said crops and start all over again. People don't want detailed gameplay while they're drinking their coffee at 7am half asleep still.

If Farmville was in a vacuum where none of your friends ever interacted with you or your farm then there'd be many less people playing.

The thing about Farmville is not really that it's a good game. Zynga seems to be incompetent at game design compared to Three Rings. It's that it's a simple mini game that all your real life friends play, which is much easier to get into than a pay to play, downloaded, MMORPG that none of your friends play.
Cire
Good Omens, Riot

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Mar 25, 2010 3:16:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Cire Arodum [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Those boggle? You must have never developed anything.

Daniel (when introducing himself): Whirled is at $300K revenue, $5M invested. Abject failure.

OOO is still a very small and young company. They make mistakes. They can't do everything. They make great games. Some are popular, some less so.
[Mar 25, 2010 3:29:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CKShinrai

I love Progress Quest, GTFO.
Cronk wrote: 
I make it a point to always agree with Llama when it comes to bacon.

[Mar 25, 2010 3:48:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

Whirled is at $300K revenue, $5M invested. Abject failure.

...Whoa. That's an upsetting number, especially in a quote from the CEO. Are these losses ongoing, or are the profits just small compared to the initial outlay? There's nothing in the linked article, but Cleaver does like to present solid numbers in his own talks. If anyone has a link to that, I'd be interested.

EDIT for below: I did see the quote, but I was looking for other numbers besides that- more detail, basically.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Pauling at Mar 25, 2010 5:08:19 PM]
[Mar 25, 2010 4:41:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CKShinrai

...Whoa. That's an upsetting number, especially in a quote from the CEO. Are these losses ongoing, or are the profits just small compared to the initial outlay? There's nothing in the linked article, but Cleaver does like to present solid numbers in his own talks. If anyone has a link to that, I'd be interested.

It's at the VEEEEEEEERY beginning of the linked article, after the list of participants. I missed it at first, too.
Cronk wrote: 
I make it a point to always agree with Llama when it comes to bacon.

[Mar 25, 2010 4:51:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

Just a quick comment on the "abject failure" quote. As Cleaver pointed out over here, that's been taken a wee bit out of context:

Although the quote is correct, it's a little out of context. I was speaking about the financial aspects. As a creative platform and community Whirled has been quite successful.

[Mar 25, 2010 9:45:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Those are very approximate total investment in the project and total *revenue* to date. There are no profits. Whirled is wonderful in many ways, but its financial results are not yet good. We remain committed to trying to change that.

Regarding some of the OP's original points;

- PP Treasure is indeed a very simple game compared to Puzzle Pirates. Three Rings is good at making complicated games, and Facebook seems to reward simplicity. For example, we tested the Foraging puzzle in PPT with a chest and a time-limit vs. the current simple 'match three ten times' version. A significantly larger number of players completed the more simple puzzle and came back for another game later (a crude but useful measure of 'did the player have fun?') If we want to succeed on Facebook and not have more abject failures then it behoves us to listen to clear signals from the audience like this, even if it means making a much simpler game than we would normally gravitate towards.

Put another way, we spent 3-4 years, $5M and much blood and sweat making a very complicated thing, Whirled, whilst other companies were busy making ridiculously simple things (by comparison) and printing hundreds of millions of dollars. I'd rather not repeat that boggling fail.

- Bite Me has a number of idiosyncrasies and is very much not a complete, polished game but a work in progress. Again, to succeed on Facebook it's necessary to adopt this 'develop in public' approach. I'll alert the team to their mathematical challenges, and we may well sell clothes etc. in the future. We'll see.

- We are going to update the ooo site soon and get rid of the outdated news. It is indeed a fail right now. We don't even link to our FB games! I guess we've been busy making games instead of updating our corporate web pages.

yours,

- Cleaver
[Mar 25, 2010 10:20:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

I love it when the People In Charge comment on little things.

Makes them seem not quite so... far away?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Mar 26, 2010 12:00:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Oh look, a Cleaver!

I would like to comment on something that I like about CEOs who take the time to address these sort of things. The CEO of my company, who I see every other week walking on the production floor, he has no idea of the things that are going on, or seems that he doesn't have an idea, since he makes it look like he care less.

I understand that CEO-ing is not a walk in the park and they don't have 20 hours of spare time a day, but being *there* where stuff happens is something that should be done. So yay for Cleaver passing by.

By the way, Cleaver, you have the most amazing people OMing. They all deserve a raise. Except Hera. She didn't want to have my Babies. :(
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 26, 2010 9:44:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Oh SNAP.

Cleaver came to the party?! Over this whining?

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
War General/Princess/Old/Not Also Cynestria
[Mar 26, 2010 11:02:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

1 Boggling OP Failure:

OP has never created anything in his or her life other than this bizarre, semi-vitriolic post, the context of which actually contradicts his entire commentary, because he has played the products he is critiquing which basically makes them more of a success than whatever his piddling contribution to the world has been.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Mar 27, 2010 11:02:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

More importantly,

Daniel: We continue to do a lot of things - probably too many things. We have an MMO that will launch this year, possibly on Steam.

Info plz.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Mar 27, 2010 12:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Puzzle Ninjas.
[Mar 27, 2010 12:33:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

because he has played the products he is critiquing which basically makes them more of a success
You really think that number of people who play something is the only determinant of success?
People don't always need qualifications to criticize things, although I personally wouldn't call most of the post 'boggling failure' so much as 'minor flaws' in the products of a great company. Still.
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Mar 27, 2010 1:53:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

More importantly,

Daniel: We continue to do a lot of things - probably too many things. We have an MMO that will launch this year, possibly on Steam.

Info plz.

Spiral Knights had a very brief public beta, during which I found my computer was too weak to play it.
Senior officer, Dynamite Residue.
Governor emeritus of Amity Island.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Mar 27, 2010 3:06:17 PM]
[Mar 27, 2010 2:59:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

More importantly,

Info plz.

Spiral Knights had a very brief public beta, during which I found my computer was too weak to play it.

I had those problems too, but only in multiplayer. In single-person mode, it ran fine... hopefully they'll fix the issues with network performance, since a single-person online game is a tad pointless.
[Mar 27, 2010 3:34:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Please, not steam:

Last I heard, it could not support macintosh at all.
It could not support any non-subscription game, at all.

I still will not spend any money on sony products (my beef isn't the whole sony music rootkit, but rather the non-response to it that sony came back with), and that includes blue ray or anything else. I thought sony now owned valve (and steam).
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

The political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com/

[quote]Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily availabl
[Mar 27, 2010 9:13:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
OdorOfFrodo

Valve is not owned by Sony. It took me two minutes to double-check myself.

Really, man?
Ecavatar by Ecastasy!
Talisker wrote: 
Obviously this calls for dressing up as Karl Marx.

[Mar 27, 2010 10:36:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

What the hell is Steam? I wiki'd it and I don't get it. It's like a 3rd party site you download games from? Why not just have it downloaded from its own site like Y!PP is?
Cire
Good Omens, Riot

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Mar 27, 2010 10:56:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Cire Arodum [Link]  Go to top 
fliparend

Please, not steam:

Last I heard, it could not support macintosh at all.
It could not support any non-subscription game, at all.

I still will not spend any money on sony products (my beef isn't the whole sony music rootkit, but rather the non-response to it that sony came back with), and that includes blue ray or anything else. I thought sony now owned valve (and steam).

Steam to MAC
Pirate on Sage: Nineteen
Rather lucky than good @ carpentry
[Mar 28, 2010 4:22:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

Steam allows you to purchase digital copies of games, and download them from their servers, without the need for CD's. Very few of the games sold through Steam require a monthly subscription.

Pros:

-No scratched discs.
-Occasional sales and special offers (A US$30 game for $2 over the weekend? Oh, yes).
-Access to games that you may not be able to find in local stores, and games available exclusively through Steam.
-No lost CD keys. Everything is tied to your account, and can be accessed from any computer by logging in.

Cons:

-No ban-pleas. If you're believed to be cheating, your account will be banned from all secured servers for certain games. (Note, that you can still play on servers without this hack protection, and this only applies to games whose servers are accessed directly through Steam.)
-Some games will still be sold at full price, while you could get it for less money from a store/website.
-Occasional software updates can cause issues with games, or the Steam client. These usually don't take longer to repair than a bug in any game.
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Mar 28, 2010 5:08:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates