• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 107
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14975 times and has 106 replies Next Thread
Jessy71

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (Deadline February 21st 2010) Reply to this Post

Hello and sorry but my question might be a bit irrelevant. It's the first time I would like to participate in such a competition and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a free tool that I might be able to use in order to make the trinket. Thank ye very much.
----------------------------------------
Antonella
Meridian Ocean

"Antonella peeks under Vargas' skirt and sees her snake staring back at her..."
[Feb 15, 2010 10:45:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (Deadline February 21st 2010) Reply to this Post

Question: (That I don't recall seeing before, but I could be wrong)
Are we allowed to make trinkets that have two colors that change? Can they both be from the same palette? (Or should it be one olympic, one enamel, for example?)
Aye, that's fine.
[Feb 16, 2010 4:33:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Hello and sorry but my question might be a bit irrelevant. It's the first time I would like to participate in such a competition and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a free tool that I might be able to use in order to make the trinket. Thank ye very much.

Well, I used MS Paint.. :)

It doesn't matter that my Cloverfly doesn't exist, does it? (Looking at the Homunculus)
Pirate: Wasbeer
Ocean: Viridian
[Feb 18, 2010 8:38:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

I think the Cloverfly is quite cute, personally. Tough call about the wings. I think I prefer the fully separated wings, but you can always leave both up, unless you're working on another design.

Or, even compromise between the two, and bring the line within one or two pixels of the body.
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ddraigeneth at Feb 18, 2010 3:00:36 PM]
[Feb 18, 2010 2:58:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Yeah, I think 2 pixels would be the best. Thank you for your reply.
[Feb 18, 2010 3:38:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Question: (That I don't recall seeing before, but I could be wrong)
Are we allowed to make trinkets that have two colors that change? Can they both be from the same palette? (Or should it be one olympic, one enamel, for example?)
Aye, that's fine.

What about 3 colours that change (like how medals have 3 colours)? =D
Adrielle (retired) / @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter
[Feb 19, 2010 2:17:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

I've got a problem. When I upload my trinket on the hosting site (photobucket), the colors change. What could I do about it?

LINK
(Left shows the one I made and right shows the one I get after uploading)

Even the colors of the picure which shows the colorchange change.. :S
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Knorps at Feb 19, 2010 4:25:37 AM]
[Feb 19, 2010 3:38:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

What format are you saving it in before you upload it? Photobucket changes some file types (eg. .bmp if you are using MS Paint) to .jpg which might be what is changing the colours. Try saving the file as a .png file type and then uploading it to see if it makes a difference =D

By the way, I love that trinket! =D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Feb 19, 2010 4:02:40 AM]
[Feb 19, 2010 4:01:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Weehee, it works!<Hugs Adrielle> Thanks :)
[Feb 19, 2010 4:17:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

What about 3 colours that change (like how medals have 3 colours)? =D
I think you're ok to do that, but it could be that you need one of them not to be a cloth color (so two cloth choices, one metal choice is ok)
[Feb 19, 2010 7:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.
Is my Cloverfly 'ready to go into the game' (except the fact that the background isn't transparent)?
[Feb 20, 2010 7:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Just in case anyone finds this helpful, I thought I would share! =D

----------

To get a transparent background, I used Photo editor (which you can download for free using the instructions below, or it is part of older versions of Windows).

1. Make your trinket's background a colour that isn't used anywhere in your design, and open it with Photo editor. Eg: I made my background white, as white isn't used in my lovely face design

2. Select the "Set transparent color tool" (At the top, next to the little icon that looks like a sun).

3. Click your background colour (Use the mouse wheel to zoom in if you need to). In the box that comes up, make sure it is set to "Color similarity: Exact" and "Transparency 100%", then click "Ok".

It should make the background transparent (shown as grey and white squares), but leave the rest of the image normal =D

----------

* Download/install instructions for Windows:

1. Download the self-extracting zip file
2. Double click it
3. Click "Run", and unpack it somewhere on your computer where you will be able to find it again! (All the files have to be in the same place for the program to run, so if you move it later, make sure you move all of it, lol)
4. Click the colourful PHOTOED icon to start the program =D
[Feb 20, 2010 3:16:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Well, thank you :)
[Feb 20, 2010 3:59:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (IN JUDGING) Reply to this Post

And that's the deadline - thanks, everyone!
[Feb 22, 2010 1:58:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (IN JUDGING) Reply to this Post

When do we know if our trinket will be used? When Puzzle Pirates releases them or earlier? Great entries btw guys!!
[Feb 22, 2010 2:59:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Because I like to look at entries all together and thought others might like to also...Here they all are.
I did not check to see if they met the guidelines, and I suspect there are some that do not, but I will leave that up to the judges.
When a choice of colors was posted, I only took the first one, (the cardinal and bluejay were separate entries so I included both.)

Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2010 8:56:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

When do we know if our trinket will be used? When Puzzle Pirates releases them or earlier? Great entries btw guys!!

Results will be posted in this thread.
[Feb 22, 2010 10:03:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Because I like to look at entries all together and thought others might like to also...Here they all are.
I did not check to see if they met the guidelines, and I suspect there are some that do not, but I will leave that up to the judges.
When a choice of colors was posted, I only took the first one, (the cardinal and bluejay were separate entries so I included both.)

They all look so pretty arranged like that! =D
[Feb 22, 2010 1:39:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jippeh14

Lol Pletoo you are awesome ^_^
Jippy of Meridian
[Feb 22, 2010 11:21:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED) Reply to this Post

The winners!

Dexla's Ladybug (linky)
Gillz's Butterfly (linky)
Whitenose's Snowdrop (linky)
Merethif's Chick (linky)
Greylady's Spring Bouquet with card (linky)
Pishkirlin's Foliate Head (linky)
Agomicc's Sprouting Bean (linky)
Phillite's Feather Duster (linky)
Wannita's Shamrock (linky)
Raystingray's Pipes O'Pan (linky)
Damayi's Equinox (linky)

Congratulations, all! I'll deliver the pirate flags now, and the trinkets as they become available in the game.

Note that the arrrtists may make tweaks to your designs before they go in - particularly in terms of color choice (e.g. one color choice instead of two, or recoloring a part that you didn't mark to be recolored). They will also make the final decision on trinket names.
I don't know yet whether these will be available for a whole "season" or only for particular dates. We'll wait and see!

The judges also commented that there were several really good designs that got cut out at the last stage of judging, so you're encouraged to re-enter designs next year if you want to!

Great work. :D
[Feb 23, 2010 3:43:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED) Reply to this Post

Congrats guys!

I'm trying to ignore my disappointment and started to create a summer trinket already. It's going to be a peacock feather with eyepatch. :D

And I can always enter my Cloverfly with Valentine's day when I paint it red and remove the C. ;)
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Knorps at Feb 23, 2010 4:34:12 AM]
[Feb 23, 2010 4:14:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

thank you <3

Congratulation to all the other Winners.

I will now have to save lots of money *lol*
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Feb 23, 2010 4:39:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Congratulations everyone!
Many thanks to the judges for a speedy result - I'm extrememly honored to be selected :D There were SO many terrific trinkets and I'm going to be SO broke when they're released!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Feb 23, 2010 5:34:45 AM]
[Feb 23, 2010 5:25:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Thanks and congratulations to the winners and to the other participants too. My first thought goes in fact to those who didn't win, because I can imagine how much effort they put into their designs: they all look great.
Apollo wrote: 
The judges also commented that there were several really good designs that got cut out at the last stage of judging, so you're encouraged to re-enter designs next year if you want to!

Don't give up, guys! We are all looking forward to seeing the beautiful entries with which you can come up for the summer edition!
Pishkirlin
[Feb 23, 2010 5:25:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Agomic

Yay! First time I win an art contest! Thank you for the result and congratulate to all the winners
All the entries are so great!
Agomicc on Meridian

[Feb 23, 2010 6:08:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nh_agomic_disorder12 [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Well, congrats to the winners, there were some very nice pieces of work there. Well done all! :)

Is there any chance of seeking out a little feedback? What can I do to improve?
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 23, 2010 6:23:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wannita

So happy to have my shamrock selected from all those lovely designs, now I'm off to design some eggs.

Congrats everyone!
Wannita,
Captain of the crew Ocean Warriors, on the Viridian Ocean
[Feb 23, 2010 6:35:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oshngirl

yarr! I'm shocked and honored to win! There were sooo many amazing entries! Me first Arrrrrrt contest win! Thank ye Apollo and all the judges :)
Gillz of the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer of the crew White Rose
Lady of the flag Blood and Roses
[Feb 23, 2010 8:37:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
merethif

Congratulations everyone and thanks for the event. I had a great time watching all the entries and I'm looking forward summer edition :-D
As always I'm a bit sad not seeing some of my favorites, but I'm also glad to see my other favorites ;-) Anyway if all winning entries will be introduced in game (and I understand this is the case) there's going to be lot of new trinkets to enjoy sometime soon.
Merethif of Viridian Ocean
Novice/Able at Poker and proud of it!
Vacation avatar by Empanado
[Feb 23, 2010 9:32:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Damayi

Great! I'm so happy that almost all my favorites won. Congrats to the winners!

xD my first trinket!!!
The pirate in me.
Damayi from Jade.
[Feb 23, 2010 9:37:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates