• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7909 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Jander

Friends list or sommat? Reply to this Post

I don't know if this has been addressed afore... I know the /who command isn't going to be as complete as it is now when the game expands---natch, no one wants to see where a thousand-odd players are---but what if yer lookin' for some one who perhaps en't on yer island? Will we be able to have a friends list of some sort? I love knowing instantly when me crewmates are logged on, but what about me mates on other crews? I'd like to be aware when they're about.

Also, will there be any way to send a note to an offline player? A post office or sommat, or just a part of the interface? Sometimes I want to drop a mate a note private like, but they en't about, and I dunno their name here on the boards.
----------------------------------------
---Jander
As dastardly a dragon as there ever was!
[Mar 31, 2003 2:59:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

Re: Friends list or sommat? Reply to this Post

I think a "post office or sommat" would be a good idea as i have also wanted to tell people something when they arent online.

Wildeyedjack
[Mar 31, 2003 3:03:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AshDarkness

Message in a bottle
- Ashlen
[Mar 31, 2003 8:05:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jander

Ha! That's the stuff!
---Jander
As dastardly a dragon as there ever was!
[Mar 31, 2003 8:06:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Friends and Mesgs Reply to this Post

Hrm. Well a 'Mateys' list is still in the original design, but has largely fallen out of the list because we weren't sure if it would be necessary. If there's substantial demand then I can make an attempt to persuade the underpants-laden engineers to have a crack at it... Certainly with /who changing... although you will be able to /who <player> and find out if they're online or not.

Private messaging would be nice but is really something of a fiasco to implement. Perhaps later down the list -- after things like Crew forums and so forth.
[Mar 31, 2003 9:59:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
RedCandy

what about some kind of chat room where you can invite other players? cause you can only talk in 1 screen 2 gether
would be nice tough since the game blocks off every other thing i am doing 0_<

~Zylon
Zylon (The Z) (Zy) from Zylonia
[Mar 31, 2003 5:15:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

I don't like the idea of private chatrooms. If you want to chat private you need to go where people aren't. There are many places on the islands where people don't go and hang out.

I think if you add chatrooms, it just becomes another IRC or IM service.

Blackdeath
[Apr 1, 2003 12:49:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Privacy Reply to this Post

As Blackdeath says, for privacy in Y!PP, you go where a pirate would go:
His house
His ship
A room at the inn
A secluded area

You have/will have plenty of opportunity for questionable conversing in clandestine corners.
[Apr 1, 2003 2:04:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

private chatrooms Reply to this Post

Well, the social/chat aspect is an important part of the game, and you don't always want just anyone to hear what you're saying. /tell is fine for one-to-one, but for a larger group, maybe not a private room, but perhaps a table in a tavern where you can agree/refuse to let people sit with you while you chat? This might allow for some amusement with eavesdropping, too...
[Apr 1, 2003 2:32:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I will second (or third or twelfth) the "message in a bottle" or post board notion. There are reasons for individual messages, as well as the "post a job opening" things. Maybe a designated palm tree in the square or something should have stuff tacked on it.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Apr 1, 2003 2:47:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

You know, Ultima Online had both of those things (ability to send offline messages and a public notice board) and no one ever used them. IM clients, IRC, and out of game message boards were already the accessible standard, and no one ever really shifted to the others.

However, time spent on a friends list would probably be to the benefit of all.
[Apr 1, 2003 3:01:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

(I know it's an old thread, but figured I'd reply in it, instead of starting a new one, to help avoid getting hit over the head with a Booch-by-4.)

I just wanted to add my support for some sort of offline messaging system, if and when it can be worked on. (Whenever that may be.) This past weekend, there were a couple of people I needed to talk to about various things, but somehow managed to not be on when they were. And I didn't know their usernames to PM them here on the boards (assuming they even read the boards that often). So, even being able to leave a brief (say, 2 or 3 line) note with "Need to ask you a question about such-and-such" would've been helpful.

I realize that The List is mighty, and this probably isn't even in the first half, as it's much more of a than convenience than anything else. So, I'm *not* asking that it bumped up in priority. Having said that, however, the focus of Y!PP is to engender a social atmosphere, almost as if one were playing this from the games.yahoo.com (or wherever) site. I could imagine a lot of people wanting to coordinate a time to go "drinking" or "battling" with their pals. (And yes, I realize people can just swap email addresses or whatever, but I'm imagining tons of "Why can't I do this?" posts. With a corresponding stronger throb from the blood vessel in Hom's forehead.)

Unfortunately, I just realized that there could be a rather irritating effect of this, mostly in the form of "y r noton now I want to ownz ur a$$ in swording !!!! LOL!!!!" messages from random people. Perhaps this isn't such a good idea, after all. ;)
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Aug 26, 2003 3:46:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Detonator

I like the "Matey's List" idea, since there are a bunch of pirates that I know, and I want to see if they're online without /who-ing every one of them. It would make things a lot more convenient, and you could have a list of them in your "crew" tab.
-Detonator
Captain of the Legitimate Businessmen of Opulence
Owner of "Apothecary Now" at Namath Island
All around Super Guy
[Aug 26, 2003 5:04:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

joedigriz wrote: 
Unfortunately, I just realized that there could be a rather irritating effect of this, mostly in the form of "y r noton now I want to ownz ur a$$ in swording !!!! LOL!!!!" messages from random people. Perhaps this isn't such a good idea, after all. ;)

Hehe; I can imagine the tons of messages I'll get from people with a pair of stripy trousers to sell... ;-)
[Aug 26, 2003 5:27:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wolfger

joedigriz wrote: 
Unfortunately, I just realized that there could be a rather irritating effect of this (message in a bottle), mostly in the form of "y r noton now I want to ownz ur a$$ in swording !!!! LOL!!!!" messages from random people. Perhaps this isn't such a good idea, after all. ;)

Detonator wrote: 
I like the "Matey's List" idea, since there are a bunch of pirates that I know, and I want to see if they're online without /who-ing every one of them. It would make things a lot more convenient, and you could have a list of them in your "crew" tab.

A combination of the two ideas would be great! Message in a bottle is a fantastic idea, but Joe's concern is a valid one... So add a Mateys List, and make the Message in a Bottle so that you can only send to people who are in your crew, or who have you on their Mateys List. That way the only people who could spam us with annoying messages would be our friends and crew members.
Wolfger
SO of the Diamond Dogs
Lord of the flag No Homers
[Aug 26, 2003 6:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.wolfger.com    wolfgersilberbaer    wolf4coyot [Link]  Go to top 
Ramus

Re: Friends and Mesgs Reply to this Post

A friends list, is definately needed. Especially in this type of game. How can you not have one in a social based game? I find it very annoying that everytime I want to see if a friend of another crew is online, I have to /who "name", and it definately limits my out-of-crew social life. It's alot harder to make friends out of your crew(or enemies) when you cant slap em on your friends list.
Ramus, Co-Founder of The Crows Nest. The largest and greatest Puzzle Pirate fan community!

Wench of Le Freccette
[Aug 26, 2003 7:24:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

I know Cleaver and/or Nemo has stated in other threads that the Mateys List is something they are going to implement. (Enough requests have popped up between the original timeframe of this thread and now that's it obviously a very wanted feature.) *When* it gets put in, though, is a different question. There are obviously still some AI bugs and economy issues that they're addressing. And I have a feeling that "Mateys" may require some non-trivial tweaks to the UI in order to squeeze it in. (Is it a separate menu, like "Crew"? Is it part of the "Crew" menu? Is it a button on the "Ye" menu? Where do you put the Radial button when you click on a player? etc)
[Aug 26, 2003 10:18:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Moonripple

Re: Reply to this Post

I come from the MOO universe, so my opinion is a bit biased, but I'd like to see the following commands implemented:

/addpal <player>
Add's a player to your pals list.

/rmpal <player>
Remove's a pal from your pals list.

/whopals
Gives you a who on every pal on your list.
[Aug 26, 2003 10:24:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

with the friends list you would have to for example /addpal <name>
then this would ask the other person if u wanted to be added to that friends list abit like msn right?

wildeyedjack
[Aug 27, 2003 3:07:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

this would ask the other person if u wanted to be added to that friends list

That might be complex, and in fact is probably unnecessary. The reason MSN (among other instant-message protocols) does that is because being a "friend" or "buddy" means that there are several new options available between the parties. They can see which each other is online, can talk when one or the other is invisible to everyone else, can send files or pictures to one another, etc.

Here, the Mateys List is more for convenience than anything else. Right now, you can see anyone online at anytime if you know their name ("/who pirate"). You can /tell them, talk to them, run into them on an island or boat, etc. The Matey's List just puts all of this in a central place so you wouldn't have to do it by hand, and so you don't have to check every few minutes to see if your pal logged on. (I'm assuming you'd get told that "Pal1 has logged on/off", the same way the crew notifications work.) I doubt very much this would be attached to, say, a "Mateys" channel, where you can broadcast messages to everyone on your Mateys list at the same time. Far too much potential for abuse with that.
[Aug 27, 2003 3:33:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I would certainly recommend adding a two-way acceptance. Try and ask some of the shopkeepers if they want to be on 1000 peoples buddy list.

For by far most people this wouldn't be a problem but for a bunch it would be a disaster causing them to use alts instead.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Aug 27, 2003 3:55:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Either two-way acceptance or the overall "invisible" mode would be good.
[Aug 27, 2003 4:01:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Aye, true, fergot the shopkeepers tend to want to keep a low profile a'times. Even here at me "real job", I hate it when people bombard me with questions and problems 30 seconds after walking in the door. Yer right, having several hundred "Where's me stuff?" /tells pop up as soon as ye log in would only be amusing once.

Still think it might be a bit more complex to put in, although I suppose it could use similiar code to the "invite to crew/job" dialogs. But prolly necessary now that ye mention it.
[Aug 27, 2003 4:09:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

I only thought that the two way acceptance would be a good idea because
you could get 100's unwanted tells from people who wouldnt normaly /who you but would if they knew you were on, and you would have to feel sorry for shopkeepers cause they would get 1000+ tells sayin

were be my order!
or
how long will my order take?
or
why cant I buy <add item here>
etc
and not one single "Ahoy Matey! How r u today?"

wildeyedjack
[Aug 27, 2003 4:10:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ramus

Or you can simply add a /anon and you wont show up on buddy lists. Problem solved.
Ramus, Co-Founder of The Crows Nest. The largest and greatest Puzzle Pirate fan community!

Wench of Le Freccette
[Aug 27, 2003 8:57:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Anon - not so simple... Reply to this Post

Not necessarily - I would still want to hear from people on MY friends list, but not receive general tells. (Much like having a private e-mail address for people close to you, but having a different address for general use, so that you can choose when to check it.)
[Aug 27, 2003 12:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates