• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 305
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22932 times and has 304 replies Next Thread
54x

Re: Cnossos Blockade - Now has nothing to do with Cookiemonstr

RobertDonald wrote: 
It's arrogant to assume the entire ocean is on your side. Did you ask them first?

I believe that was exactly what he was doing, although part of the question may have been aimed at whether you intend to drop another warchest next week.
----------------------------------------
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 30, 2004 2:44:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
raabitias

I never *said* we hated you. Implied, yes. Though I did recieve many tells asking for job which they knew they were not going to be paid for....
Spelling Nazi.

NinjaGuy wrote: 
Well, that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Congrats.

Avatar done by the extremely talented Kanawinkie.
[Oct 30, 2004 3:00:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    raabitias    Eight Flame [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Wow, you really, really want another warchest dropped.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Oct 30, 2004 3:37:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

RobertDonald wrote: 

Is that really your only way of dealing with people?
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

54x wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 

You mean deal with pirates?
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

54x wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 

He deals with me quite often, and as of yet hasnt dropped anything on me, including a warchest. I really wish you people would stop generalising so god dam much (yes I did that on purpose).
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Oct 30, 2004 6:21:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
1Famine

54x wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 

Aha, venerable diamondblade.

Let us suppose a dichotomy of good and evil, not to ascribe any traditional or even wholly definitive values to either of the two, or even to say that one is preferable to the other, but merely to ascertain causation, relation, or difference.

Good: Doing to others as you would have done to yourself.

And thereby doing good to others, it is paid forward.

Evil: Doing to others as they have enjoyed doing to you at your expense.

And thereby doing evil to others, it is paid forward.

I'm not saying anything that has been done to or said about Robertdonald has particularly hurt him as a person, however I am saying that within the context of his interactions with a large number of specific people and the level to which he can honestly expect them to interact with him, it's obviously more expedient to just give people the finger.

In otherwords, if you only want to interact with someone in a single way, don't consider their responses as uncertain merely because they are in the future.
Famine, of the Mercenary Squadron
[Oct 30, 2004 6:28:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

1Famine wrote: 
I'm not saying anything that has been done to or said about Robertdonald has particularly hurt him as a person, however I am saying that within the context of his interactions with a large number of specific people and the level to which he can honestly expect them to interact with him, it's obviously more expedient to just give people the finger.

Well...

So one must always take the course of action that is more expedient?

And does that not imply that a person who commits evil is thus compelled to commit more evil, simply because it is more expedient for him to do so?

Does that not follow that evil is a slippery slope? And good, an ascending pinnacle?

In otherwords, if you only want to interact with someone in a single way, don't consider their responses as uncertain merely because they are in the future.

Perhaps if he had no choice in his actions.

Can he choose what he does next? Certainly, it would be far easier for him to continue the way he has.

But is the easier course, and perhaps the expedient course (though one could argue that to continue an evil act is not as expedient as, say, stopping) truly the one that benefits you in the future?
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Oct 30, 2004 7:44:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

My attitude: blockades are fun. Especially when they involve sinking large numbers of ships. And getting paid.
[Oct 31, 2004 12:20:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Yay peanut gallery!

Tee_Beard wrote: 
Does that not follow that evil is a slippery slope? And good, an ascending pinnacle?

More like a convenient excuse. Thesis, I think I love you, man.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Oct 31, 2004 1:41:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
1Famine

Expediency is preferred because it's a game, and the vast majority of people Robertdonald is blockading have "boycotted" him in a sense. There's no point in talking when the time for words has passed or one of two parties doesn't trust the other as an honest broker of negotiations.

Would you tell Charlie Brown to kick the football Lucy is holding up? Of course not. Although Lucy's action is in the future, it would be silly to regard it as uncertain. Between the two options of letting Charlie Brown kick the football or to pull the ball away, we know her preference is for the latter.

Yes, it would follow, except my simple model is not ment to ascribe good and evil to any particular action but to assert that those actions have roots in the past.

In so far as asking whether future benefits help you in the future, the answer, I think, is irrelevant. Firstly, this is a game, the purpose of which is to have fun, and decisions about what kind of expediency is acceptable are based on that for everyone. I did not say that Robertdonald was taking the most expedient action; in fact, he is not. The most expedient action would obviously be to concede to the demands of others and quit the game.

The action most beneficial over the long run would of course be to play the game, to provide jobbers between six rounds spread over however many blockades essentially the cash for a first ship, and to continue dropping warchests on the individuals who seem so intent in egging him on to do so. It's really no different from calling someones bluff in poker, and in so far as Cnossos goes, it's not as if Black Sails has people to inconvenience. It's just all of these other people show up, presumably to have a good time.
Famine, of the Mercenary Squadron
[Oct 31, 2004 2:01:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

1Famine wrote: 
Expediency is preferred because it's a game

You lost the minute you mentioned this.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Oct 31, 2004 3:20:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

1Famine wrote: 
54x wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 

Aha, venerable diamondblade.

Let us suppose a dichotomy of good and evil, not to ascribe any traditional or even wholly definitive values to either of the two, or even to say that one is preferable to the other, but merely to ascertain causation, relation, or difference.

Good: Doing to others as you would have done to yourself.

And thereby doing good to others, it is paid forward.

Evil: Doing to others as they have enjoyed doing to you at your expense.

And thereby doing evil to others, it is paid forward.

I'm giving him the benefit of being treated exactly like anyone else. Thus, I assume he has normal motivations and does not want to do "just one thing." It could well be he has decided that playing the blockade game in the stunted way he has thus far is exactly what he wants to do. I don't know. I always find talking to be a refreshing change.
from Midnight.
[Oct 31, 2004 3:58:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

wait...im hung up on the fact that RD had the nerve to call someone else arrogant....wow

and i personally thing the devs should put an end to RD's blockading abilities, hes made the game "un-fun" for everyone due to the fact that he himself doesnt even want blockades to be fun, he wants them to be malicious and that simply isnt good for the game

so RD...in general i implore you to stop acting like a jackass
[Oct 31, 2004 5:41:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
raabitias

CrazyMorg wrote: 
.....i personally thing the devs should put an end to RD's blockading abilities....

Cheers.
Spelling Nazi.

NinjaGuy wrote: 

[Oct 31, 2004 6:07:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    raabitias    Eight Flame [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

CrazyMorg wrote: 
wait...im hung up on the fact that RD had the nerve to call someone else arrogant....wow

and i personally thing the devs should put an end to RD's blockading abilities, hes made the game "un-fun" for everyone due to the fact that he himself doesnt even want blockades to be fun, he wants them to be malicious and that simply isnt good for the game

I have fun in RD's blockades and it seems quite a few people who job with him do so too.

So stop generalizing.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 31, 2004 6:41:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Everything he's done has been within the rules of the game. I see no need for OM intervention.

By owning an island, you consent to be blockaded as much as any player is willing to put up warchests.
[Oct 31, 2004 6:41:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

ToS wrote: 
6. Restrictions. You agree not to do any of the following prohibited actions:

14. engage in any behaviour that is contrary to the 'spirit of the game' as defined by Three Rings in its sole discretion. This includes the use of multiple characters or accounts to undermine or spy on competing parties, or to otherwise manipulate the game environment.

It may not be against the "rules", but if blockading islands over and over, typically to put up a minimal fight, is determined to be griefing, it is most certainly contrary to the 'spirit of the game.' That's not our decision to make, though.
[Oct 31, 2004 6:50:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Akumu wrote: 
ToS wrote: 
6. Restrictions. You agree not to do any of the following prohibited actions:

14. engage in any behaviour that is contrary to the 'spirit of the game' as defined by Three Rings in its sole discretion. This includes the use of multiple characters or accounts to undermine or spy on competing parties, or to otherwise manipulate the game environment.

It may not be against the "rules", but if blockading islands over and over, typically to put up a minimal fight, is determined to be griefing, it is most certainly contrary to the 'spirit of the game.' That's not our decision to make, though.

My interpretation of that section of the TOS is that you shouldn't use and alt to spy on an enemy flag and steal their supplies, sell of their rum and shot etc.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 31, 2004 6:56:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
FireMonkey

Repeatedly blockading is not griefing in my opinion.
As has been mentioned, it is often considered 'fun' to partake in a blockade, any blockade, and even more so when youre a new player being paid 2k just to play your favourite puzzle without interruptions. It is perhaps an inconvenience to a minority, such is the price of an island.
[Oct 31, 2004 7:01:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

You want griefing? Its when you have greenies sitting through blockades without getting paid.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 31, 2004 7:05:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

xagoloth wrote: 

My interpretation of that section of the TOS is that you shouldn't use and alt to spy on an enemy flag and steal their supplies, sell of their rum and shot etc.

Your interpretation of that section is very limited and misses the whole "as defined by Three Rings in its sole discretion. " part.
[Oct 31, 2004 7:26:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Rubby wrote: 
xagoloth wrote: 

Your interpretation of that section is very limited and misses the whole "as defined by Three Rings in its sole discretion. " part.

Did I say Three Rings don't have the final say? I just interpreted the second half of that section.

Look at the original context of where it was used as an argument. It no way suggest its against the spirit of the game.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 31, 2004 7:34:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

xagoloth wrote: 
Rubby wrote: 
xagoloth wrote: 

Did I say Three Rings don't have the final say? I just interpreted the second half of that section.

Look at the original context of where it was used as an argument. It no way suggest its against the spirit of the game.

I'm fairly certain that griefing is against the spirit of the game. Multiple blockades to annoy someone into giving you something may or may not be griefing, though. I don't know.

Edit:
Thinking better of it, this could also be seen as harassment.
Also in section 6,
6.10: "stalk" or otherwise harass another; or
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Akumu at Oct 31, 2004 7:45:12 AM]
[Oct 31, 2004 7:45:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
PinkkBeard

xagoloth wrote: 
You want griefing? Its when you have greenies sitting through blockades without getting paid.

No... they can leave any time they want and damned well know it.

Blockading someone over and over again just because you have no friends and poe to waste is griefing because if the defenders want to keep their hard won island, they have to show up for at least 6 hours at each one of those blockades. That's a whole lotta life down the drain.
Homullus wrote: 
There are still myriad varieties of sucking that you can do

Thusnelda wrote: 
Pinkkbeard gets a gold star.

[size=9]Azure: Where'd everyone go?
[Oct 31, 2004 7:47:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Sugar coat or make it 1 hour blockades but whenever someone tries to take something from somoene else they are not going to be happy about it.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 31, 2004 7:54:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
FireMonkey

I must agree with the fact that jobbing greenies, who probably dont even know what a blockade is, and not paying is exploiting them.
True, they could leave. I imagine greenies who have just been told to use the noticeboard to get a job and earn money will not have a clue they arent earning anything.
[Oct 31, 2004 7:58:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
raabitias

I was there for over half the blockade. I never once saw a jobbing offer up or a greeny aboard a Black Sail ship.
Spelling Nazi.

NinjaGuy wrote: 

[Oct 31, 2004 8:02:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    raabitias    Eight Flame [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

FireMonkey wrote: 
I must agree with the fact that jobbing greenies, who probably dont even know what a blockade is, and not paying is exploiting them.
True, they could leave. I imagine greenies who have just been told to use the noticeboard to get a job and earn money will not have a clue they arent earning anything.

Trial players do not count toward ship influence in blockades.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Oct 31, 2004 8:04:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

raabitias wrote: 
I was there for over half the blockade. I never once saw a jobbing offer up or a greeny aboard a Black Sail ship.

You do realize there have been other blockades in the ocean?
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 31, 2004 8:04:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates