• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8506 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Cieve

Treasure Haul Guide - Share the Wealth! Reply to this Post

If this can help many improve their scoring, everyone wins out with more poe. I will be assuming that the reader has a good idea of what Treasure Haul is and how it's done, also I'll be using the abbreviation TH and referring to the gems according to their colour.

Scoring

Since scoring is based accumulated coins against time taken on the puzzle session, the aim is to score quickly and high as you can. With limited variety of tools at your disposal, we can only maximise the efficiency of the following ways (which will be explained in detail later).

Cascade chain reactions
    Altenating sides
    Gem combinations - pairs of green and red
    Watching the timer (shipwreck expeditions not included)

Even if you can click fast without any seconds wasted, without a cascade or two, you're likely to score a good more than an excellent even with gems assisting.

Cascades

Caused by coins falling straight into 3's onto the board, very convenient and almost instantaneous where it saves you several pauses to look then click. These are generally are your main bulk of scoring and good opportunities to ready your next click by looking over the still coins not caught in the chain reaction.

Aside from making moves at the top half of the board, generally it's ideal to make instant 3x3s and bingos if you spot them straight away than a single 3 move. They don't have much better weight in scoring, but their greater value comes from more pieces being shifted under afterwards.

A single move will just either shift 3-5 columns up by 1, or shift a single column by 3. You're not going to have a good chance of any extra coins being scored unless you already have spotted an arrangement that will benefit from the move. With 3x3 and bingos however, you'll have some columns shifting rows in the combinations of:

1 and 2 rows
    1 and 3 rows
    1 and 4 rows
    1 and 6 rows
    6 rows

Besides from the varying shuffling of the rows, more coins are moved in one go, increasing the chances of 3s being lined up.

Alternating Sides

Perhaps unusual to mention, but here's some examples to why:

As you can see, it's a lovely mess. But the coins flies upwards and in the way with all the sparkly goodness to try and make your next move. I should point out that the cascade scores always show in the center and seems to be multiplied as shown with the increasingly large text which can be distracting.

The other reason alternating sides is useful is to give yourself more time to look for the next move to click on that won't be shifted about from the previous move. Also you're less likely to blind yourself if you trigger a cascade and it'd be focused on one side like this:

Gem Combinations

The more gems, the better isn't quite true. For example, setting off 2 green gems that are placed in opposite corners is worst than setting off a green on it's own. There doesn't seem to be an increased bonus for setting off multiple gems either other than generally more coins scored.

Red gem
Straight forward piece to use, clears the entire row and column it's on. Not preferable to use on it's own though, it only shifts 7 columns up by 1 and the last filled in randomly. But it is very useful for dislodging chests.

Green gem
Clears 2 lines diagonally from where it's positioned. It'll clear less if sitting at the edge of the board, more nearer to the center. It can be useful on it's own but it doesn't clear as many as the red gem does. Mainly it can clear varying lines to shift different pieces of the same rows by 1s and 2s.

First looking into same coloured pairs of gems, lets look at the benefits, lines in red means an overlap from another gem:

A solid 20 coins cleared in any position of the board. But as I mentioned before with red gems, they don't shuffle the board much to give a good chance of cascades happening.

6-18 coins can be cleared depending on the gems' positions. Quite useful to help refresh a stagnant board considering the diagonals will clear a couple of the top half the board.

So far 1 line is wasted from doing red --> red and green --> green. Here's some pictures of red --> green and green --> red:

No entire lines have been overlapped with 22 and 20 cleared. This is consistently a better outcome than doing green-green and red-red, also more pieces are moved about by 1,2,3,8 rows.

Sometimes, many gems comes through quickly and setting off several in one go is tempting. But is it worth it?

From this example, 36 coins were cleared, but the 5th gem didn't gain much benefit since one of it's lines overlaps the 4th gem. Without the 5th gem the coin clearing would had been 33. It should noted that 13 of the coins are overlapped so a small proportion has been wasted there.

Below I've put together a little comparison to show the minimum and maximum possible benefit the more gems you use. The pure green and red's minimum has overlapping lines considered, the alternating ones doesn't but I'm pretty sure it even with the possibility of some gems overlapping each other, it can't be any worse.

Looking at the numbers, it's apparent that the gain per gem drops significantly and at some point even does a U turn as more gems than needed starts to take up a slot more than it's worth. I haven't looked beyond 5 gems for the alternating gem combination though, since you're more likely to overlap somewhere and it's likely to follow the trend. Also it was too much effort.

I hope this shows clearly that green and red pairs are the most economical combination, with green --> red being consistently more than vice versa by one.

Timing

Relevant mainly for flotillas, sea monster hunts and blockades. However during shipwrecks the timing is the same, just not visible.

It is possible to remain treasure hauling a little longer after it has ended, only by having a move drag out longer and not yet completed by the last move finishing. The overall time spent on the puzzle still clocks on, as proven by getting a booch if you TH sit with an empty puzzle, but a cascade will likely pull your overall score up and more coins hauled as an extra benefit.

So always keep an eye out on the timer in sea battle panel, if you have some gems still on the board, be ready to set them off just before the turn ends if you're not certain there may be another turn worth of TH'ing. The last thing worth noting is normally you gain an extra turn worth of TH if the puzzle is still up during the break, you can tell if you're on the break by seeing the sea battle panel momentarily disappear for a minute.

Chests

Doesn't really add anything to your scoring but to the booty.

It's usually prudent to save a red gem at the top when a chest enters the board off center to dislodge the last unmatching coins. Having a chest stuck at the side will take up 3x3 part of the board in best case scenario, 4x8 at worst (if you ever decide to maroon yourself by setting off a red gem with pieces still on the other side).

Sometimes you have to simply wait for a gem to enter the board to get a stubborn chest out and carry on doing your moves. If a green gem comes in, you have to be careful to not miss positioning the piece to where it needs to be. For a red though, it usually needs to be at the top and doesn't require much care.

I hope any part of this is useful for some of you.
Grab those poe!
----------------------------------------
Reichi
[Dec 2, 2009 5:04:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: Treasure Haul Guide - Share the Wealth! Reply to this Post

I likes. I normally don't think too much about TH - just clicka-clicka-clicka - but your alternating sides idea is a good one. Some other interesting points too.
[Dec 2, 2009 5:40:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Agentjay

Thanks man! Good guide :) I've always thought that there was something more to TH than luck and fastest clicking :P
[Dec 2, 2009 7:24:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

The alternating sides is something I definitely started doing myself to prevent myself from being blocked by the animations.

Do you have any hard data to back up your claims about scoring being based purely on coins sent up or are you just making that assumption? Combos might not be worth as much but is it the case that a 3x3 is just two normal 3s? I find it hard to believe that this is the case even if it isn't as big of a difference as bilge.

Another point worth mentioning is that right now nobody will find this guide as soon as this thread dies so either edit a link at the bottom of the th wiki page which gives a tiny bit of attention. Alternatively if you want to turn it into a video or make it a bit more complete I'll happily host it on my website.
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 3, 2009 4:54:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cieve

Most of this in essence I wrote a year ago mainly with the method in focus but dregging up old stuff heres a text comparison of some of the moves except donkey and vegas:

The first bingo is 3x3x3, the second 3x3x5. If the generally principle of scoring is reflected by text size, there is definetly something there in difference of values, but it's certainly small compared to the 'Ching! Cha-ching!' text there appear in droves.

I'll take up your suggestion and link it onto the wiki thanks, I don't plann to make a video since I don't have a recorder, editor nor the drive to learn to fiddle with them hehehe.

I would had been quite interested in doing a batch sample on a sloop hauling wreck focusing on 3s only and another set on bigger moves, although I don't really have that luxury...
Reichi
[Dec 3, 2009 5:53:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

I don't log anymore and gave everything away except for centimental things but I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to fund some experiments. When I did it for fun it cost me a sloop + 80k for two people to TH for 30 minutes. 40k I believe was recouped.
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 3, 2009 6:41:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ngamerocks

Ironically, I've managed to get incredible in TH.

I was always *click* *click* to get 3x3 or a combo like that and click on any green or red gem.

WHAM!

Incredible.

There's a strategy?! Cool... time to get a higher incredible.
[Dec 4, 2009 6:38:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pteriana

Same happened to me. I was on TH for about 5 seconds before we moved from the TH spot, and it just went FWEE YOU GOT THE INCREDIBLE TH TROPHY. I was all 'lolwut?'
Pteri on Emerald, officer in the crew Silver Storm and cap'n of the sloop Hard Clownfish.
Formerly of Sage

I job, therefore I am.
[Dec 4, 2009 9:08:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ecrvtbyn

this is a great guide, i'll try follow it, hope i'll get to Ultimate lol xD
Ecrvtbyn on the Viridian ocean.
[Dec 4, 2009 9:32:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.youtube.com/user/ecrvtbyn    ons_disorder34    Don't have    Nah, don't have [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates