• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 208
Posts: 208   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16770 times and has 207 replies Next Thread
Markoman

Re: Current list of short-cut translations Reply to this Post

Peghead wrote: 

The old ones: brb, gg, wtf, lol, lmao, a/s/l, rofl, smilies

New ones: ur, ne1, m8, omfg, n00b, stfu, afk

Did I miss what this is beeing remaped to?

Or are we just going to have to wait?
----------------------------------------
Markozeta
[Sep 15, 2004 3:15:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Re: [suggestion] Piratify the scuppering d3wdspeak Reply to this Post

Is OMG currently translated? If not, will it be, along with OMFG?

Markoman wrote: 
Or are we just going to have to wait?

I want to be surprised!
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Sep 15, 2004 3:23:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

/me wants to try a/s/l to see what it turns into
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Sep 15, 2004 5:24:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FireMonkey

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
/me wants to try a/s/l to see what it turns into

Try it then...
[Sep 15, 2004 6:35:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

Peghead wrote: 
New ones: ur, ne1, m8, omfg, n00b, stfu, afk

I'm with Bifnot on this one -- I'd like to see the filter deal with common shortcuts (like afk) as well as things that are offensive (like stfu), but not disguise how people are actually typing.

I'm all for "omfg" and "stfu" to be appropriately piratified (like a/s/l is clearly the result of the filter and not anything anyone would likely naturally type).

Having "afk" expand to "away from keyboard" or some other appropriate idle-indicator seems reasonable enough, too. I will plea for it to be short and very clear, though -- short and very clear is less difficult to miss in spam, and if a mate of mine is temporarily AFK during a voyage, I want to make sure I see that.

The rest of the new ones, though, ought to be left alone, IMHO (except possibly 'm8', which is sort of a cute abbreviation, but why bother, really?). I like to know when I'm talking to someone semi-literate, and the "ur" and "ne1" are a great clue for that.
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Sep 15, 2004 8:10:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

AFK = (Pirate name)is suffering from scurvy.
Putting live chickens in my enemy's underwear since December '03!
Avvy by Sancha!
Sloganizer says: "Crooktooth Prevents That Sinking Feeling."
[Sep 15, 2004 8:59:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

How about plz and thx?
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Sep 15, 2004 9:21:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
zedex

Amberyl wrote: 
I like to know when I'm talking to someone semi-literate, and the "ur" and "ne1" are a great clue for that.

I understand your and Bifnot's point, but seeing those letter combinations affects the enjoyment of other people in the game. It's hard to feel like a pirate when you see that kind of talk around you.

As for knowing when someone is using it, not everything will be filtered (like 'u', or excessive exclamation marks) so I suspect you'll still be able to tell. Besides, you can still judge the quality of their character by what they have to say, which is at least as important as how they say it.
Greetings from VUX! The last word in life form destruction!
To gain an intimate knowledge of our engines of war,
simply place both hands over your eyes and count to three.

(I post as Blackguard now.)
[Sep 15, 2004 11:04:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    zedexguy [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

zedex wrote: 
Amberyl wrote: 
I like to know when I'm talking to someone semi-literate, and the "ur" and "ne1" are a great clue for that.

I understand your and Bifnot's point, but seeing those letter combinations affects the enjoyment of other people in the game. It's hard to feel like a pirate when you see that kind of talk around you.

As for knowing when someone is using it, not everything will be filtered (like 'u', or excessive exclamation marks) so I suspect you'll still be able to tell. Besides, you can still judge the quality of their character by what they have to say, which is at least as important as how they say it.

If it is implemented, then having the option of "[ ] toggle d00dspeak filter" would probably be to everyone's advantage. I will admit, my eyes burn when I read too much d00dspeak, especially when I just want to zone out on the puzzles or tart on the docks. But for sensitive issues like business, diplomacy, etc., I want to see others for what they are. No putting wolves in sheeps' clothing.
Bifnot, second king of The Jolly Company
First Governor of the Midnight Ocean
[Sep 15, 2004 12:49:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhodes

How about "any1"? I've seen that quite a bit recently.
Rhodes
SO of the Marine Knights
[Sep 15, 2004 2:22:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://se.lot42.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

i always wanted to see gl -> May the gods smile upon you! or somesuch.

also, commonly used:

afaik
bbl
btw
cu
iirc
np
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Sep 27, 2004 10:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

This makes me sad.

I had just started prefacing any in-game speech directed at OMs with "OMG". Soon, I won't be able to. :(

I'll get over it, though.
[Sep 27, 2004 11:18:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

homullus wrote: 
I had just started prefacing any in-game speech directed at OMs with "OMG". Soon, I won't be able to. :(

Type "OM G" to get around the upcoming filter.
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Sep 28, 2004 1:37:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zedex

Oi, I lubs the Captain Haddock filter! I got teary-eyed when I saw that for the first time.

OMG => Billions of blistering blue barnacles!

Logically, shouldn't this lead us to...?

OMFG => Billions of blistering blue barnacles in a thundering typhoon!

Or would that be going too far?

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    zedexguy [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

We're nerfing those archaeologists' playstyle!

Ur: It's not just for Ziggurat Entheusiasts Anymore.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stik

Bran wrote: 
Though it hasn't been quite as much of a problem in this game as in some others I've played, I wouldn't mind seeing the word "rape" replaced with something more appropriately piratey.

They did that in Lineage 2. I did run into problems while telling a friend about the new drapes (d-rape-s) we'd bought for our apartment though. Admittedly not a very in-character sort of conversation, but it made for some funny results nonetheless. But maybe the YPP matching is only whole words. Then you of course you need rapes, raping, raped as well.
McMuttons, Senior Officer of the Half-Baked Pierates
"The supreme irony in life is that no one gets out alive."
- Robert Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice
[Oct 23, 2004 5:25:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://abildsoe.com/manga [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

The most extremely inappropriate words, like "rape" or racial slurs, we deliberately don't filter. We want to know this person is potentially offensive immediately. We don't want people thinking we encourage the use of the word in a translated form. Slurs shouldn't be used at all and rape is a very serious issue that would be mocked by having it changed to some pirate word.
[Oct 25, 2004 3:53:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Nemo wrote: 
U will not be translated.

I'd hope not. I'd hate to be translated. I'm perfectly happy where I am.

Anyway, I try to stay away from making outright complaints about the game, but I hate hate hate hate hate the fact that I can't turn this filter off. There are several reasons for it. One is that if I'm going to say something in d00dspeak, there's probably a reason for it (I'm making a joke, I'm trying to relate a literal translation of something). Another is that (as has been mentioned) I like to know exactly what is being said to and around me, not have IQ points added to people because they seem to be talking smarter than they really are. The funny thing is, if I had the option, I would probably leave the optional filter on and turn off the ond that can't be turned off.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Oct 25, 2004 4:09:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chemicalgirl

Phwibbles wrote: 
If someone says "does ne1 want 2 trade me ur poe 4 a brand-new, just-delivered skull dagger?" then I want to know that's what they said. If the game translates that to "Does anyone want to trade me your poe for a brand-new, just delivered skull dagger?", then you've just robbed me of my greatest defense in-game: the ability to discriminate between those I think I can trust and associate with, and those I think I can not. In short, if someone is acting like an idiot right in front of me, then I want to know about it for my own protection, and so I can disassociate myself from them.

I just agree with this so much I had to quote it. I turn off all censors, and not just because I don't believe in censorship of any form. I want to know exactly what someone said. I also cuss a lot myself, and don't have much tolerance for people who believe a word society has randomly labeled as 'bad' can really be all that naughty.
But Nemo, I hate the OMG= billions of Blistering Barnacles or whatever. Of course, I hate OMG also, so maybe this will kill the OMG users.
Silk

Stuyvesant flag officer chats, "You remember that whole "Midnight is better than Everything" phase?"
Silk flag officer chats, "phase...?"
Current Avatar by Falmari
[Oct 25, 2004 9:07:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Silk_Princess1978    Sylkprincess [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Rastigi wrote: 
One is that if I'm going to say something in d00dspeak, there's probably a reason for it (I'm making a joke, I'm trying to relate a literal translation of something).

Yes.

[Oct 25, 2004 9:11:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monix

How about translating dunno, prolly and btw (but make it optional)?
[Oct 25, 2004 3:11:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stik

chemicalgirl wrote: 
But Nemo, I hate the OMG= billions of Blistering Barnacles or whatever. Of course, I hate OMG also, so maybe this will kill the OMG users.

I, on the other hand, love the Billions of Blistering Barnacles conversion. Captain Haddock rocks my boat. :D

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with the translations. I love it when new ones are added and think it's kind of fun to try different things to see what they are. The one for asl is hilarious as well, I think. In my eyes, they do nothing to hinder casual communication among us pirates.

However, an option to turn it off would be nice. Everyone should have a choice of what they want to see.
[Oct 25, 2004 10:07:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://abildsoe.com/manga [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

stik wrote: 

However, an option to turn it off would be nice. Everyone should have a choice of what they want to see.

There is an option to shut it off. Just both the speaker and the listener have to have it set.

I think it's good that we force greens into saying piratey things. It means that the ones who don't want to put forth any effort in their literacy will leave if they don't like it.

I just wish there was some way to do it like KoL does... Not really possible in a social game, though. (They make you type out a sentence with perfect grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation that says something like, "I am a literate person, and I will conduct myself in that way.")
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Oct 26, 2004 1:05:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

Dunno is used in real life, and if 'prolly' is short for 'probably', I'd guess it's got a real life origin too. The only purpose of the filter is to annoy people like me who have valid uses for abbreviations and leetspeak, not to annoy people who don't speak the Queen's English.
[Oct 26, 2004 1:20:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stik

Lallaria wrote: 
There is an option to shut it off. Just both the speaker and the listener have to have it set.

I see. I was under the impression that there were some that could be shut off and others that didn't. Then maybe it'd be better if the messages were filtered by the client and that the messages themselves were transferred unaltered between them. That way, you can choose to see everything raw, or everything translated.
[Oct 26, 2004 2:29:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://abildsoe.com/manga [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

stik wrote: 
Lallaria wrote: 

I see. I was under the impression that there were some that could be shut off and others that didn't.

And now, for your edification and entertainment, Peghead presents...

The Old Pirate's Guide to Curses, Filters, and Tripping Over the Bilge Bucket

1. Curse Filter
The curse filter looks for coarse words in all chat and substitutes piratey or comicy replacements. The curse filter is two-way, it filters all your outgoing chat as well as any incoming chat that may have not been filtered by the original speaker. The curse filter may be turned off.

The intent of the curse filter is to make the game a little more family-friendly, as well as raise the level of discourse a bit. A lot of people (myself included) sometimes fail to express themselves as creatively as they should, falling back on the old Saxon 4-letter words that seem to go so well with almost anything. By substituting a piratey replacement, we make the game more interesting for everyone and more comfortable for people who have limited these words in their daily vocabulary.

Note that we don't try to over-filter or go out of our way to prevent you from typing something if you put spaces between each letter. After all, you can always turn your filter off.

2. The mogrification filter
This filter actually has two parts, one changes the mode of your chatting, such that typing "lol" results in "/emote laughs", and the other just looks for other common internet slang and shortcuts and fills them out.

Both of these are intended to improve the fun of the game by improving communication. I have a long history of hatred for "LOL", and in Yohoho we have the ability to emote, and it's so much more pleasing. Same with the smilies.

As for the changing of "ne1" to "anyone" or "gg" to "good game"- my opinion again is that it raises the level of discourse in the game. Some people have argued that they *want* to see when a user types like that so that they can ignore them. I disagree completely. I don't want to see anyone type like that, I definitely don't want to see five pirates sitting around the docks talking like that, and most of all I don't want a new player to see other people talking like that. It provides a better experience for everyone, and the downsides of doing this are far outweighed by the gains.

3. The Capitalization Filter
This tries to capitalize what you type. We are considering adding the option to turn this off, but I think that overall it is a good thing.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Peghead at Oct 26, 2004 3:10:05 AM]
[Oct 26, 2004 3:10:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverkitty

The capitalization filter is evil incarnate. It will destroy the entire game and I am likely to quit because of it.

I am, of course, indulging in hyperbole, but the capitalization filter is making me appear to have poor grammar skills in a number of places.

e.g.:

Silver says, "Foo." // That is incorrect grammar, it's not a new sentence.

Silver Giggles. // That, too, incorrect grammar, now even more obvious with the quotes removed.

Silver says, "So Piratex told me, "blah blah ... Blah blah blah."" // Whoops, that was not a new sentence, either. I was eliding a quote.

Silver says, "I can actually capitalize my sentences correctly, but the developers have made me look like a scuppering idiot by overusing String.ReplaceAll()." // NoSuchMethodException

Silver says, "There are other places it is wrong which are less often used, i.E. This meta example."

I also have a court document signed by a judge in Travis County which changed my name back in 1992 to "silver Harloe," with a lower-case 's'. I did not sneak that by, either. The judge was observant and asked me if I was sure I wanted my middle name to be lower-cased and I said, "yes, Your Honor." So mote it be. However, since you also mutilate "MacLeod" into "Macleod" and other such perverse, mis-corrections of peoples names, I have come to some terms with the name thing.
[size=9]Avatar by Peter Pan
[Edit 1 times, last edit by silverkitty at Oct 26, 2004 3:29:01 AM]
[Oct 26, 2004 3:29:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

The thing I hate about it is that it makes me feel as if I don't have control over what i'm saying. Espically the capitalization filter. It'd be nice if using the actual /commands like /say and /crew allowed you to get around those filters, since newbies aren't aware of being able to do that. It ticks me off enough that i've taken to starting everything I say with a special character in order to have control over it.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Oct 26, 2004 3:30:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Peghead wrote: 

3. The Capitalization Filter
This tries to capitalize what you type. We are considering adding the option to turn this off, but I think that overall it is a good thing.

Why is this a good thing? When did this become Microsoft Puzzle Pirates?
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Oct 26, 2004 3:35:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zedex

The Captain Haddock filter is brilliant. A bit verbose for OMG, and it's said in anger while OMG is an exclamation, but the humour of it trumps all nitpicks. If anything, it probably discourages people from using OMG and, to be honest, I like that.

The capitalisation thing will take some getting used to, but I like the idea in general. I think it is most glaring when it capitalises after an ellipsis; tweak that behaviour and you will likely satisfy a lot of the naysayers.

[Oct 26, 2004 4:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    zedexguy [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 208   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates