• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 58
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16913 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
taelia

Re: Design Brigand King Eggs for the game! [Deadline 28th September 2009] Reply to this Post

Decided it looks like an open green jacket over a brown/white bodice. Ok onwards!
----------------------------------------
Ryanne.

Buying:

Kraken Blood 11k, anywhere on the Midnight side of Cerulean.
Furniture in LE colors (spring green, ice blue, wine, banana, plum etc) - 10k each unless its a large piece of furniture, send me a tell.
Black CI trink
[Sep 25, 2009 9:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Re: Design Brigand King Eggs for the game! [Deadline 28th September 2009] Reply to this Post

-- Your design MUST be able to 'wrap' - the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side.

I have just realized that my entries do not comply with this... suggestion? rule? cause I have designed them for the front side.
Take a look at my Barnabas' entry , for instance.

Is this a strict requirement or it was just a designing tip?
Please let me know, I could change Azarbad back to the original entry, as for Barnabas if so I'm just screwed.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Sep 27, 2009 3:05:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

As long as the pixels at the two edges match up, there will be no seaming and thus your egg is fine.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Sep 27, 2009 3:14:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelia

I believe your barnabas meets the requirements because its on that navy background and that's down both sides. It just can not be shown at a different view because the current view is the only bit you've decorated.
Ryanne.

Buying:

Furniture in LE colors (spring green, ice blue, wine, banana, plum etc) - 10k each unless its a large piece of furniture, send me a tell.
Black CI trink
[Sep 27, 2009 5:24:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

You can always check if a design is seemless by setting the pic as your desktop background (tiled) =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Sep 27, 2009 6:04:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I hope someone will do my pending renders.....pretty please???
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Sep 27, 2009 8:01:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Rendered the last eggs on the waiting list.
Thank you all for your answers, I have fixed Azarbad and Vargas, as for Barny I'm glad its design is ok, otherwise I would have just wasted hours of work.

Good luck everyone! There are a lot of nice entries both in the entry thread and in the render!
Congratulations to all artists whatever the final results will be.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cgg1305 at Sep 27, 2009 10:01:57 PM]
[Sep 27, 2009 9:59:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I have been trying to get renders done but I still don't have my computer back (I know! It has been like AGES =() and El has a report to write so I can't borrow hers as much at the moment :S

Three of mine aren't seemless too... lol hope I get time to fix that!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Sep 28, 2009 2:20:53 AM]
[Sep 28, 2009 2:19:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Wow! I can't believe its over already! There are some great entries and for the first time, I feel okay going up against Rhodin!

Ok so for me, I think the hardest one for me to get was either Gretchen or Widow Queen. Every time I went back to look at them, I noticed something wasn't right on my version! There are probably lots of little things I could tweak still, but then again, are most artists ever satisfied?

Which one was hardest for you?

And since I already had the free trial on the egg shape, thought I'd make one for Atropos and Clotho as well since they seem to be the only ringers without one!!

The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Sep 29, 2009 6:47:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

And since I already had the free trial on the egg shape, thought I'd make one for Atropos and Clotho as well since they seem to be the only ringers without one!!

Hey, don't look at me, I've had the eggshells drawn for months.

Admiral Finius was the hardest. For some reason, it took forever to get that bicorne right, and I'm pretty sure it's only decent from one angle.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 29, 2009 7:00:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Design Brigand King Eggs for the game! [Judging in progress!] Reply to this Post

This event is now in judging - thank you to all the entrants, and many thanks to everyone who helped with test rendering eggs!
[Sep 29, 2009 7:29:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Azarbad. Both because I have made a lot of experiments trying to render his turban shape at the best and because it was the first one (as well as my first egg skin ever): if I look back at his first skin I have posted in the render I can't help laughing. Vargas has been the easiest and Barnabas still easy despite having worked a lot of him, but I already had acquired some sort of technique and style at that point.

Anyway, the worst part was making 3D Studio Max work on my PC. First I had some problems with its installation (getting error 1603 or something), then with .NET Framework. I have spent a whole Saturday trying to make it work. Honestly I don't know how the average player could find enough motivation to undertake such a challenge... no wonder there are so many quality entries (guys, I really don't know how the judge could pick only a winner among all those awesome Finius entries): you either were highly motivated or you weren't at all.

By the way, when I wasn't able to run 3DS, I downloaded a freeware software called Anima8or (less than 1Mb). I didn't manage to understand how to render properly a skin, but I believe it would be way easier to use that software for future events rather than such a heavy 30-days trial like 3DS is.
Can anyone make it work and share?
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by cgg1305 at Sep 30, 2009 5:43:14 AM]
[Sep 30, 2009 5:38:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Make what work? The Max3DS or the anim8tor one?

I downloaded 3DS and it said it wouldn't work. Gave me errors, etc. Then I rebooted my computer and voila! it worked.

SilverRansom's original tutorial helped me through it all. I got lost in the short cut version of his tutorial so I went to the full tutorial and it was very easy from there on out. Needless to say all I can render is the egg. :p
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Sep 30, 2009 8:07:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Synful wrote: 
Make what work? The Max3DS or the anim8tor one?

Anim8or. It's light and freeware, so everyone could use it. I don't see the point in using a professional tool such as 3DS for rendering a simple egg.

I downloaded 3DS and it said it wouldn't work. Gave me errors, etc. Then I rebooted my computer and voila! it worked.

Oh, you have been lucky then! After having searched the internet for days, I have found a solution on a French forum , where someone was suggesting to edit the an entry in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry. The explaination was quite clear, but it took me several minutes to realize that the "Demarrer" thingy was actually the Windows "Start" button.
Oh, and then I had to install the newest .NET Framework version. So basically I have downloaded several hundreds of Megabytes in software in order to render an egg for a 60 Mb game.
And of course when I was rendering my eggs they were way too small, so I changed the camera resolution and they ended up being freaking huge. So again, needed to resize them in Photoshop.

There must be a simpler way to render a bloody egg.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Sep 30, 2009 9:16:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ocelotspot

I found Gretchen the hardest, by far. I'm still not happy with my final egg but ran out of time. There was just something about the hair/bandanna combination and the gold eyes and mouth that didn't contrast much with her face that I couldn't get right.

Anim8or. It's light and freeware, so everyone could use it. I don't see the point in using a professional tool such as 3DS for rendering a simple egg.

Earlier in this thread Silveransom said:

And I'm still working on a Blender version, I just keep getting sidetracked. I seem to remember the UVs being blasted to the four winds last time I tried, so I need to take another stab at it. If I can get a Blender or Wings version behaving, nobody need bother with the time-limited expensive programs, at least not for quick testing (Blender and Wings are free 3D programs). (Renderers will still need Max.)

I believe the eggs are rendered with max for the game, so the original egg file was for that program and eggs rendered with it are equivalent to how they would look in game. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.) Other 3D programs could be used, at least for testing the designs, but someone who knows how to use each program needs to come up with a different version of the egg file for each one. And then explain to people like me exactly which buttons to push to make it work.
Sallymae of Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ocelotspot at Sep 30, 2009 11:27:50 AM]
[Sep 30, 2009 11:00:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Yep yep =D If we had a egg file and a tutorial showing us how to make eggs with a free program it would be awesome!
[Sep 30, 2009 9:05:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Working on it. I'll check out Anim8tor when I get a minute.

The .NET framework thing is baffling, though. I've installed Max on several computers, and I've never run into that error. For as expensive as these 3D programs are, I'd think they would handle stuff like that better.

(Don't get me started on the poor UI design of the dang thing. Blender is even worse.)
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Oct 4, 2009 9:04:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I would just like to say that I am sooooooooo glad I'm not judging this contest, there were so so so many fabulous entries, very impressive all!!!
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Oct 8, 2009 8:50:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Design Brigand King Eggs for the game! [WINNERS POSTED] Reply to this Post

I have the winners!

Admiral Finius - Bismarck of Viridian (linky)

Azarbad the Great: Rhodin of Viridian (linky)

Barnabas the Pale: Pishkirlin of Sage (linky)

Brynhild Skullsplitter- Pishkirlin of Sage (linky)

Gretchen Goldfang - Ryanne of Midnight (linky)

Vargas the Mad - Pishkirlin of Sage (linky)

Widow Queen - Rhodin of Viridian (linky)

Bismarck and Ryanne win a mug!
Rhodin wins a double prize package!
Pishkirlin wins a triple prize package!
And of course, you will all get a copy of your winning egg(s) in the game once they're available.

Please would you all PM me with your real name and a full mailing address. If you do not wish to be sent the real-life prize, just let me know so that I'm not waiting for ye! Thanks.

Congratulations all!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Oct 14, 2009 4:43:07 AM]
[Oct 14, 2009 3:23:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Wooohoooo! Thank you very much, Apollo and congratulations to all the winners!

Now speaking of my real-life prizes, if possible I would like to renounce to one of them in favour of Greylady. In fact when I have posted one of the first versions of my entries she has sent me a PM warning me about the fact that some of them were not seamless. I have really appreciated her kindness and sportmanship, not to mention that I like her entries as well and I consider her as a moral winner of the contest for her nice gesture.

I hope both Apollo and her agree.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Oct 14, 2009 7:10:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelia

Thank you very much. I look forward to seeing them all in game!
Ryanne.

Buying:

Black CI trink
[Oct 14, 2009 9:01:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

I wrote: 
if possible I would like to renounce to one of them in favour of Greylady.

Bad news. Apparently that is not possible. Greylady, I owe you an in-game present. ;-)
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Oct 14, 2009 1:04:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OttoBismarck

I was surprised to win. Thanks for the great contest and congratulations to everyone! There were many great entries.
[Oct 14, 2009 1:36:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Now speaking of my real-life prizes, if possible I would like to renounce to one of them in favour of Greylady. In fact when I have posted one of the first versions of my entries she has sent me a PM warning me about the fact that some of them were not seamless. I have really appreciated her kindness and sportmanship, not to mention that I like her entries as well and I consider her as a moral winner of the contest for her nice gesture. I hope both Apollo and her agree.

Bad news. Apparently that is not possible. Greylady, I owe you an in-game present. ;-)

Your kind words are reward enough mate, no need for any other! I'm so glad your entries won - they are just fantastic (especially Vargas' teeth! perfect!!)

Congrats to all of the winners on their great entries. :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Oct 14, 2009 2:35:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DanD17

>.>

<.<

No one else has said it....

But, eggcellent work all.

Here we go:

1, 2, 3 *collective groan*
Daudy

Discocow!

Cremate says, "skmpns"
[Oct 16, 2009 3:24:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

When I picked up my mail yesterday, I received a Current Homepage Design Mug and a One of Nemo's Old Avatars Tote. I'm not sure what day it actually came, so I'm sure everyone else's prizes are arriving soon.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Oct 30, 2009 5:12:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
taelia

Bump! To request deliver of the copy of the winning eggs =D
Ryanne.

Buying:

Black CI trink
[Jan 20, 2010 2:59:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Aye. No need for the bump.
[Jan 21, 2010 1:47:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates