• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3958 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Lodista

Order of the Golden Banana... who's member on Midnight? [Monkey Boat]

I've been testing the monkey boat during exactly 6 months, I abandoned the hunt for the last trophy for a moment and recently resumed it, trying (usually in vain) nearly every possible thing to trigger them more often. The worst day of all was yesterday when the pirates I jobbed and I got the monkeys 3 times only for 27 attempts: 6 hours wasted. I've "PvPed" within crew, between "crews", with other crews and also within crews created for that purpose, using several pairs of ships... I had to get that last trophy and END IT eventually.

Now I'm glad it's over because I'll be able to work on my Bnav stats again. Less headaches ahead. More interesting things to do...

I want to thank every single pirate on Midnight (sooo many) who helped me to reach that 100th victory against the Monkey Boat.

Also, I would like to know (curiosity) if someone else is member of the "Order of the Golden Banana" on Midnight.

PS: If you decide to follow this path, I want to warn you: my latest hunts showed me that (now) maxing monkeys is a VERY BAD idea. Want to know why? Just give it a try :-P
----------------------------------------
Average PvPer's motto:
Since we are real life losers
The easier the better
Challenges are for the others.
[Sep 4, 2009 5:23:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Re: Order of the Golden Banana... who's member on Midnight? [Monkey Boat]

We tried for 2 hours a few weeks back; something like 9 engagements and no monkeys. Sadness.

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Sep 4, 2009 9:54:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacqueline23

Congrats Lodista,

I have been on a couple of monkey trips with you.
And know how frustrating it is at times LOL

But also had a lot of fun fighting the monkeys.

Been on the ocean quite a while but I dont know anyone who got the golden banana...
So I am very curious too...
Jacqie
Captain of the crew Blue Dolphins

"Gaunt Rona says, "Avast! We've been beaten by a rag tag band of fleshy land lubbers. Mother will be furious...""

[Sep 4, 2009 11:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    piratejacqie [Link]  Go to top 
Lodista

Deborah wrote: 
We tried for 2 hours a few weeks back; something like 9 engagements and no monkeys. Sadness.

Awww :-(
Well, try harder; but honestly and probably due to complaining PvPers (and failure from the developers to keep everyone happy), Monkey Boat hunts have become a huge waste of time, and also it now pays crap.

Jacqueline23 wrote: 
Congrats Lodista,

I have been on a couple of monkey trips with you.
And know how frustrating it is at times LOL

But also had a lot of fun fighting the monkeys.

Thanks mate :-)
Aye, fighting monkeys used to be fun; but as I wrote above: not anymore, unfortunately...
Average PvPer's motto:
The easier the better
[Sep 14, 2009 9:42:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mrgaz1980

Nice going mate, next time you;re out i'd like to come along, as i've never even encountered any monkeys'. (Not that i've been trying or anything). But i am now curious to take up a few monkey battles and learn how and when they spawn etc... any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Devill, capt of Mutiny,
Former Bitch of DI.
[Sep 15, 2009 2:59:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lodista

OK mate, I think I owe you that after all the PoE making sinking flots you've led last year :-)

Related link: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Monkey_boat

* Let's start with this:

<< OK, this is a monkey ship hunt... we may find it every 4 times (or more) we will get attacked by my alt (PvP). Please be patient, there are trophies and PoE to win :-) >>

This is what I had to copy/paste every time a jobber came on board.

- It means that there will be failed attempts (in fact: many).
- It means that we need very patient pirates to do this.
- It doesn't mean that you will actually find them within every 4 attempts, let's say it's rather a "positive attitude"-related lie.
- It doesn't mean that you need pirates with elite stats to run these hunts. Basic carp and bilge skills are enough, you might want good sailors and gunner(s) though.

* Basically, you need 2 ships:

- 1 attacker (any kind of ship): empty hold, with a single subscribed alt on board.

- 1 to fight the monkeys: 5 (minimum) - 7 pirates on board (if using a Sloop), hold filled with commodities (I used fruits). You may need a gunner and carp & bilge must be covered at all time; but I personally prefer to put my sailors on sails when I get the monkeys (to preserve their stats); in fact, usually I let most of my people laze as long as we don't get the monkeys.

- When ready, I sail both ships at the same time and, as soon as possible (I always stay close to an Island), I engage (PvP) my fully staffed ship using the empty single manned one (doing the contrary would be asking for troubles with the Black ship). Be careful with PvPers: these guys love to target single manned & defenseless ships: stay in an area with little traffic or you might have your hunt delayed due to your attacking ship being PvPed by a third party pirate.

- In case of a failed attempt to trigger the monkeys, I Bnav on my 2 accounts at the same time and manage to quickly grapple (so I don't have to wait 10 turns); I usually don't need my sailors for this. Once grappled, my alt on the attacking ship quickly straightlines. Doing this saves your crew's (and your) valuable time, but your Bnav standing will soon go down back to Able.

- After a failed attempt, both ships come back to the Island's league point (avoid porting: it wouldn't look like you're on a regular dual floating trip). And wait about 2 minutes (till weariness is over) before repeating the action.

- In case of a successful attempt ask everyone on board to station!!! You will soon notice that Monkey boats have all the moves they need at all time, even when maxed. They have very... interesting Bnav skills! Don't max the Monkey boat!!! Try to hit it more or as much as it hits you. And be glad when/if it grapples you or when you grapple it within a few turns (aye, I know: another Bnav stat killer). Monkeys are weak rumblers: you can afford taking few hits more than them, especially if your ship is fully staffed. I've probably lost 5 battles in 100 encounters, mostly due to people leaving my ship at the wrong time.

- When you've defeated the monkeys, go back to the island's league point and after 2 minutes, make another attempt: monkeys often (not always) appear twice in a row.

* Monkeys rarely appear more than 2 - 3 times when using the same pair of ships (that's what I've noticed), which is why I used 2 till 3 pairs of ships (half attackers and half defenders) to carry on a hunt after 2 or 3 first monkey encounters.

- So, you've defeated monkeys 2 - 3 times with a pair of ships... tell your crew it's time to swap ships; prepare your 2 new ships and continue the hunt.

* All the above is (was) true by September, 5th 2009 when I got the last trophy. Stealth releases have had several effects on the monkey business over the time and I'm sure it's not over yet... the "do not max the Monkey boat" matter is probably the most interesting part of it I'd say! But, hey: surprise!!!

* Here are some things that aren't true (anymore):

- Waiting after reboot (like for BKs) for more opportunities to trigger the monkeys.

- Kraken blood everyday with the monkeys! Now, you get few fruits, stock and crap PoE.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :-)
Average PvPer's motto:
The easier the better
[Sep 15, 2009 9:05:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mrgaz1980

thanks for the helpful advice i shall venture into the seas and get me some monkies. =)
Devill, capt of Mutiny,
Former Bitch of DI.
[Sep 16, 2009 1:05:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates