• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20029 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
henryrules10

Foraging scoring glitch? Reply to this Post

I started foraging on Cobalt a few minutes ago, and I did what I usually do. Each clear I made was three crates at a time, and they looked like they were pretty high-scoring, so that should be an Incredible, right? The game apparently didn't think so, since it gave me Booched. I exited the puzzle and restarted, doing the same thing I did before, and what would've gotten me an Incredible got me a Poor. Seriously, is

For the first one I started with 9 bananas, then the second one I started with 8 bananas.

For proof that I got full clears each time, and that they were fast enough (or should've been at least), here's the chat logs. In the first one I asked my friend if she wanted to forage with me about 30 seconds before I started.

First one

[19:14:21] Whitecluster says, "wanna forage with me? o:"

[19:15:58] Ye found an empty basket!

[19:16:28] Ye found an empty basket!

[19:16:58] Ye found an empty basket!

Second one

[19:17:11] Whitecluster says, "um, i think this game is broken"
[19:17:13] Whitecluster says, "i got booched -.-"
[19:17:14] Whitecluster says, "What in the seven seas"

[19:18:05] Ye found an empty basket!

[19:18:36] Ye found an empty basket!

[19:19:04] Ye found an empty basket!
[19:19:04] Ye found an empty basket!

I averaged about 30 seconds per multi-crate clear, so why am I getting low scores? There has to be a glitch here, because I don't see why something that almost always gets me Incredibles gets me a Booched or a Poor.
----------------------------------------
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Jan 14, 2009 5:25:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

Re: Foraging scoring glitch? Reply to this Post

I averaged about 30 seconds per multi-crate clear, so why am I getting low scores? There has to be a glitch here, because I don't see why something that almost always gets me Incredibles gets me a Booched or a Poor.

There is some discussion on how foraging is actually scored at this thread over in Tips & Tricks. The gerneral opinion seems to be that time doesn't matter, but move efficency probably does. So hard to say if the scoring is broken, if we don't know how it should score.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alfwyn at Jan 15, 2009 2:27:39 AM]
[Jan 15, 2009 2:27:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
geminiladi

Since Thursday I too, have been getting odd scoring.

I was legendary, dropped to renowned in about 4 games, which is not normal for me. I know im not doing anything differently. So I log onto a different pirate. And Try again.

Renowned in the beginning, went up to grand master with an incredible. Then dropped to renowned again with an excellent. Then went back up again with a good. I also have not been getting as many incredibles/excellents as I was before.

I know my playing skills have not changed.
Daydream on Cobalt
Geminiladi on Midnight
[Jan 19, 2009 11:38:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

Earlier tonight I had a very fast game. I had a lot of 5 piece single move drop downs, the ants were in my favor, and had a shovel clear three of the single whatevers. The session? POOR. Is it because I was using the special pieces to maximum advantage? Was that triple clear invisible because the shovel was several spaces above the top whatever?

Its wrong.
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Jan 19, 2009 11:46:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
scm621

There recently was an update to the foraging scoring. It's unclear what they updated, but it might not be quite the same as it used to be.
Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
Currently unaffiliated
[Jan 20, 2009 8:41:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

There recently was an update to the foraging scoring. It's unclear what they updated, but it might not be quite the same as it used to be.

Ice Update 1/21/09

Fix bug with foraging scores in puzzle competitions

From my understading of this and other OM comments it seems there was a change in how competitions are scored, not the actual scoring of the foraging puzzle itself. I forage every few days, usually when I'm bored, and haven't noticed a difference in scores. I've been able to keep myself consistently in the top 3 of Malachite for the past few month. Of course that is a smaller ocean, so *shrugs*
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[Jan 20, 2009 10:24:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LadyIscandar

To throw my own experience into this, I just foraged a double crate, and an extra mango, at once... and BOOCHED. Big bright shiny "Double Crate!" letters, and BOOCHED. Eh?

I was toward the end of my labor, so I could only forage 3 units (instead of the 6 I would have been able to), but should that count against me?

I don't understand.
[Jan 21, 2009 7:47:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GilZuker

i have seen this bug a few times too... (i am on sage tho) from about when the forage trophies came out, i also submitted a bug report too every time it happened to me.
i used to be a #1 forager and i had many incredible sessions scoring fines and booched just like you i even took two scrennies to show:

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r423/GilZuker/booched.jpg
this one according to my logs was no longer then 4 mins and the amounts of moves i made was about average i had two 3 simultaneous clear of chests both were 1 med crate and 2 small crates
and last 1 small crate that was cleared in 4 moves.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r423/GilZuker/PuzzlePiratesTsuker1-1.png
in this one i did again two 3 simultaneous clears of 3 small chests i didn't check (but also no more then 5 -6 mins) the time but the amount of moves i did was almost the minimum required to get the chests in the correct combo.
(i can put my logs too but i think the images are better)

i foraged alot and i had many sessions that were almost identical to the ones i just mention and they scored nothing lower then exellent
[Jan 23, 2009 4:02:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

Major bumpage.

I have found the problem with foraging scoring.

If a move that clears crates causes a cascade of pieces to be broken, then the move scores as it should. If it doesn't, then the move looks to score as much as a 1x1 crate or (more likely) no points at all. I've bug reported this, but nothing seems to have been done about it yet.

[Aug 25, 2009 3:21:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thorntona

Interesting.
For what it's worth, I foraged today and the scoring seemed flakey. I thought it was just me, so didn't research in any detail.
Biscuithead
[Aug 25, 2009 3:50:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Technician

Working fine on Viridian. Usual thing with the rolling oceanwide averages effecting whats what, such as an incredible one day might only be an excellent the next, but certainly far from being turning things on its head and game dishing out booched for a decent puzzle.
Rover of Viridian
VOTE FOR ME HERE!
[Aug 27, 2009 4:46:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

If a move that clears crates causes a cascade of pieces to be broken, then the move scores as it should. If it doesn't, then the move looks to score as much as a 1x1 crate or (more likely) no points at all. I've bug reported this, but nothing seems to have been done about it yet.

If this is what's going on, then awesome catch! Foraging is the only puzzle that I can never seem to effectively predict the outcome I get, and it's most definitely the only puzzle where I can keep around Legendary-Ultimate and still have no clue why I get the DRs I get on it.
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Aug 27, 2009 7:39:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Could someone rephrase the bug description for me? I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that if any number of chests are cleared in one move, say by a single twist or a machete, they need to be followed by at least a simple 1x3 pattern match in order to score properly? So even dropping a shovel above a 1x1 box at the very top of the screen won't score properly unless there's a followup combo of some sort?

What happens if one crate is followed by a combo from board tiles which then clears a second crate and stops with no followup clears?

Forage scoring is hard to predict. Something along these lines is entirely possible and easy to overlook. Great catch if you're right about this.
On hiatus. :(
[Aug 30, 2009 10:44:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

What happens if one crate is followed by a combo from board tiles which then clears a second crate and stops with no followup clears?

I just pulled one of those (thanks a lot you piece of barnacle game, giving me damn 1x1s on each edge) and didn't get a followup clear, and it scored like it should have.

[Sep 4, 2009 9:09:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Bump. This is still a problem (I /bugged it on Ice just a bit ago). Double-cleared 2 2x2 crates and got a nice big Booched as the result.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Mar 5, 2010 12:23:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Please make sure you submit a bug report with those logs.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Mar 5, 2010 12:26:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Please make sure you submit a bug report with those logs.

Thunderbird wrote: 
Bump. This is still a problem (I /bugged it on Ice just a bit ago). Double-cleared 2 2x2 crates and got a nice big Booched as the result.

Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Mar 5, 2010 12:30:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

An interesting thought came to mind while I was researching this. Every time I triggered the condition for the bug as stated in this thread...the clearing sound that normally plays was not heard. But if I got a cascading clear after it, the sound did play (provided it was not immediately after a special piece use, every time I used one of those to clear a crate, I did not hear the sound).

I only got a clear cut bug behavior once (triple clear, 2x2 on bottom, 1x1 in middle, 2x2 on top yet still got a Fine), so that's the only time I was able to /bug it. I've reproduced the issue several times according to conditions, but most times I ended up doing poorly later on so probably deserved the rating I got.

One other note: I tend to multiclient. Does this cause issues with bug reports?
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Mar 16, 2010 11:34:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elvensailor

I've noticed something wrong in the forage puzzle as well.
I did few good plays (excellent and incredible).
Suddenly, I make a mistake (can't clear a chest for a long time, usually happens when there are two 2x2s side to side) and I get an excellent.
I exit the game to notice my standing actually went up.

Then I enter the game again. Play a bad game, getting a good. I do the next one as incredible as it could be, but it's still good. Standing goes down. I exit the game and start again: incredible.

It seems that if you keep on going playing the score is the first one you got? This was weird. Could be wrong conclusions, too. Thought it was only a problem of mine until I saw this thread.

I had some weird problem with forage, somehow I managed to go from GM to respected in a matter of few games. I'm definitely not that bad, I used to be Ult.

Either something's wrong or I suck! :P
Elve,

Something of the crew something,
I pwn in Hunter.
The quote of truth: "I fear in Hunter Parley, instead of kindness and help, all you find is venom and hatred."
Thanks Crabcake for the avatar.
[Mar 17, 2010 1:58:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Bumpy.

Is this scoring glitch still present?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 12, 2010 8:40:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

No i dont think it is. I used a alt to try and got to leg forage(ocean) then did a board with no clear at the end after the crate fell and scored normally. I THINK its been fixed. But ofcourse more will need to test it.
Lesgreg
[Oct 12, 2010 12:12:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

Bump. Fix the frigging glitch already -.-

[Jan 14, 2011 2:18:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

The end clear glitch seems to still be there. Ignoring my other post. I have also had problems where if you get the glitch causing you to have a booched score, every other forage after that will have a messed up score too, until you dismiss the puzzle and retake it. Just me?
Lesgreg
[Jan 17, 2011 6:17:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
queenamanra

I had this too. First few games: Excellents, one incredible and a good. I restart the game to see if my stats increased, which didn't.
When I restarted I got a 'fine' instead of a good. I cleared the boxes with not much moves and combo'd them too. After that I started to get poors only (for some 4 games more before I stopped). The rating just wouldn't increase, no matter how fast and good I did the puzzle.
I dropped from half legendary to distinguished...
I think the rating keeps re-using the previous end results.
Anasia - Viridian
[Jul 30, 2011 12:20:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

This glitch is still present, I'm fairly certain.

I'm also of the opinion that whatever you score on one session has an impact on the score of the next session if you don't dismiss between sessions.
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Mar 20, 2012 9:03:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

Bump. Fix scoring! And ironically enough yesterday in the forage puzzle comp, clearing everything in a single scored higher than comboing anything in the excellent department. Logic? I think not.
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jul 29, 2012 10:40:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Someone better explain to me in depth how foraging scoring really works. When I say really, I mean REALLY.

Also, does anyone else experience chest spawning stopping completely, in the middle of a board? I know sometimes you need to click few times just as you need to when you start a new board, to make them appear (apparently you're ahead of the chest spawn line in this case?) but when you click, clear, click, wait, hum, wait and nothing is showing up. Yes, I have /bug reported it but it also could be just me.

Edit: Okay. Doing couple of session paying much more attention to getting something breaking after clearing the crates (pretty much whatever combo or single one), I'm back getting better reports. Which is annoying, because I can't see the reason for that 'feature'.

If it can't be fixed (it is beyond fixable or whatever the reason), would be fantastic if the devs could just tell us that...you know, so that we can stop getting frustrated, hehe.

Elaborating on my 'chest spawn stopping' - new chests just wouldn't show up on my board. No matter how much I clicked around, cleared the pieces and so on (to get pass of the spawn queue as I see it).
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Jul 31, 2012 5:37:40 PM]
[Jul 31, 2012 3:59:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

I also get the problem Sizzly has described....no more chests coming, no matter how much I click things around.

I get this every now and then, it happened to me in the comp the other day.

The only way out is to dismiss....otherwise it would go on forever.
Zapa of Emerald
[Aug 7, 2012 4:39:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

Bump. Fix the frigging glitch already -.-

This glitch is still present, I'm fairly certain.

Please fix this bug. I'll help bump this thread up untill this bug gets removed from the game completely!
Shadowie on Obsidian
[Aug 8, 2012 1:16:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I also get the problem Sizzly has described....no more chests coming, no matter how much I click things around.

I get this every now and then, it happened to me in the comp the other day.

The only way out is to dismiss....otherwise it would go on forever.

I vaguely remember bumping into this couple of times, not sure if it was CI or an expo. The one in my post above happened when I was just doing some foraging one Tuesday, in my own ship (pulling the empty crates as I didn't have a labor badge).

And yeah, leaving the puzzle is the only way to get rid of it - should try to remember to try hitting Esc when and if that happens again.

About the other bug, has anyone tried, if the amount of pieces broken after the crates have cleared has any effect on your scoring? For example, breaking more increases it?
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Aug 8, 2012 1:32:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates