• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 66
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 60206 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
BlackBeth

Pirates with Disabilities Reply to this Post

An interesting case came up on greeter chat today. A new pirate who interfaces with his computer via a mouthstick was getting help in setting up controls and shortkeys so that he can navigate the game.

The greeter helping him asked if there was a forum thread that she could refer the greenie to for hints or tips from other pirates with disabilities. She was hoping someone might have tips about about any settings/tools/etc that he could use to help him play.

I searched and couldn't find such a thread. So I am creating one.

If you are a pirate with a disability and are looking for help with something specific, post here. If you have any tips, same thing.

I can start with the obvious:
Colorblind pirates who have trouble differentiating puzzle pieces should check out this thread which has some alternate graphics available.
----------------------------------------
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Apr 18, 2009 3:30:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Re: Pirates with Disabilities Reply to this Post

I'm temporarily stickying this to give it a chance to be seen.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Apr 27, 2009 4:57:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Colorblind pirates who have trouble differentiating puzzle pieces should check out this thread which has some alternate graphics available.

You must remember though to petition and ask for OM approval before you alter any in-game graphics.
Kadazzle
[Apr 28, 2009 5:42:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ParsaAkbari

I think its great that people with disabilities are being given the chance to play the game.

However there is only so much the players can do, its up to the developers to make PP compatible so evreybody can play!
Yey!
[Apr 28, 2009 1:13:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

You must remember though to petition and ask for OM approval before you alter any in-game graphics.

My understanding was that this change has been approved for that purpose. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Apr 29, 2009 10:28:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Correct, there is an approved color "mod" thread. Nemo's got posts here and there within it.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Apr 30, 2009 9:09:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivalice

And anyway,if even the people with disabilities play this game the PP gets more clients(and especially money :P)
soooo,sup?

Main:Ivalice on Sage
-----------------------------------------------------------
Secondary:Teutonik on Sage
-----------------------------------------------------------
Third:Spammaster on Sage
--------------------------------------
[May 14, 2009 8:15:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

Good idea with this thread, I think it'll be easier for the pirate's with disabilities and greeters (well anyone) could link this page to them.

=)

~Terrify
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Jun 12, 2009 12:25:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

My understanding was that this change has been approved for that purpose. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

There are some touchy things in that thread though, like changing Bludgeons, changing sprinkle colours, and editing other things.

You should always petition and ask OM approval before you do any in-game edits.
Kadazzle
[Jun 18, 2009 4:17:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tryn2behave

I wish that I had seen this thread sooner. First of all, if there is anyone that has limited or no arms/hands/fingers movement ... please send me a PM. I have several suggestions that will help with using the keyboard to play the puzzles.

Now, may I point something out to non-disabled players, OMS, designers and anyone else involved in Puzzle Pirates ... having a disability usually prevents a person from being able to puzzle as well as a non-disabled player. This can create a huge disadvantage when it comes to familiar tournaments, SMH/CI runs, etc. So many players focus on stats. Imagine watching the NB every day hoping someone will take you along on a CI trip but knowing that your disability prevents you from being hired by "stat tarts".

Put a long stick in your mouth and try to SF or rumble or even try typing. I hope it will help you to appreciate the courage and determination that disabled people exhibit every day of their lives.
Various pirates on all English-speaking oceans.

Love the people who treat you right. Forgive the ones who don't. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it! ~~ Dwan
[Aug 14, 2009 11:42:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tryn2behave2 [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

First of all, if there is anyone that has limited or no arms/hands/fingers movement ... please send me a PM. I have several suggestions that will help with using the keyboard to play the puzzles.

I wonder if you would be willing to post your suggestions in this thread, instead of by private message? That way any players who may come along to the game after you've stopped playing will be able to benefit from your knowledge as well.

Now, may I point something out to non-disabled players, OMS, designers and anyone else involved in Puzzle Pirates ... having a disability usually prevents a person from being able to puzzle as well as a non-disabled player. This can create a huge disadvantage when it comes to familiar tournaments, SMH/CI runs, etc. So many players focus on stats. Imagine watching the NB every day hoping someone will take you along on a CI trip but knowing that your disability prevents you from being hired by "stat tarts".

I can't do anything about familiar tournaments - I'm still trying to win one myself ;-) - but I may be able to help with getting jobbed for voyages. What most navs are looking for from the stats of a random jobber is an indication that a jobber will stay on station, and try their best. When I get a polite, properly worded request to include someone in a voyage, I will usually job them - because it shows me that they know enough about the game to be able to figure out who's driving a voyage, and are motivated enough to go the extra mile. I've spoken to many navs who take a similar approach.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 15, 2009 3:36:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouse2cat

When I get a polite, properly worded request to include someone in a voyage, I will usually job them - because it shows me that they know enough about the game to be able to figure out who's driving a voyage, and are motivated enough to go the extra mile. I've spoken to many navs who take a similar approach.

I love it when navers are willing to give somebody a chance. That is exactly how I hooked up with good crews when I was trying a different ocean.

If a pirate in my crew decides to share a disability I will do the best within my power to make the game more pleasant for them. I will swap stations, help them get jobbed, whatever. It's not much but I think people could be more aware of disability and how it could affect gameplay.
Crabcake on Emerald and Obsidian
Current avatar by Kolibri
[Aug 16, 2009 9:27:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.skoonberg.com [Link]  Go to top 
tryn2behave

If a pirate in my crew decides to share a disability I will do the best within my power to make the game more pleasant for them. I will swap stations, help them get jobbed, whatever. It's not much but I think people could be more aware of disability and how it could affect gameplay.

The world needs more caring people like you. Many thanks. =)

As for the request to post tips here instead of by PM ... I will get a list of websites with some great info and post them. If you are a player with a disability or just want to ask questions about disabilities privately ... shoot me a PM. <3
Various pirates on all English-speaking oceans.

Love the people who treat you right. Forgive the ones who don't. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it! ~~ Dwan
[Aug 18, 2009 12:33:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tryn2behave2 [Link]  Go to top 
PinGyp

The world needs more caring people like you. Many thanks. =)

As for the request to post tips here instead of by PM ... I will get a list of websites with some great info and post them. If you are a player with a disability or just want to ask questions about disabilities privately ... shoot me a PM. <3

Wouldn't it be more private to read it all here than ask you? You didn't really reply to why not post here, you just repeated yourself.

Pingster flag officer chats, "Crap"
Capy flag officer chats, "I saw my name.... what did i do?"

[Aug 22, 2009 4:35:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doctortux

Perhaps disabled people could have a special symbol on their pirate page and their names could show up red or something.
[Aug 23, 2009 5:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cfw_Master

I think there should be a way to figure out whether or not a pirate is truly disabled or is just pretending to do so to be jobbed easier/get benefits/install a mod etc...

If there is truly a benefit for disabled people, (such as changing color patterns on bludgeons and swords), then there needs to be an effective way to seperate the disabled from the fakers.

I do support the idea of helping disabled pirates though, however I believe the public should not be able to obviously tell who is disabled and who isn't. There are likely people out there who would purposely avoid jobbing disabled pirates.
Magicboy on Hunter Ocean
[Aug 23, 2009 10:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rkentmav82

Perhaps disabled people could have a special symbol on their pirate page and their names could show up red or something.

Sorry, no. I don't think this is a particularly good idea. I've worked with the physically disabled for a few years, and for the most part, the last thing any of them want is to be singled out or held apart from the group, for whatever reason.

Yes, I know the arguments for this - people would be more patient, seeing the name or symbol, they would be more willing to give chances re: puzzling stats. I don't buy it. I think if you asked the folks with disabilities who play the game, they'd overwhelmingly say they don't want it.

How do I know this? In part from my work. And in part from the fact this thread was started in partial response to a disabled player trying to do things that would allow them to play the game AS NORMALLY as possible. If they wanted to be singled out, I'm sure we'd have seen it long before now.

Just my two poe, of course.

ETA: Why does it matter whether we find out if someone is truly disabled or not? The color changes being discussed do not affect gameplay - they simply substitute different graphics, to allow those who are color blind to more easily differentiate between pieces. It doesn't change the essence of the game.

As for those who would lie to get jobbed - their perfidy will find them, and karma will likely run them over with a great big sensitivity bus. We, the general populace (and by this, I include everyone who is not an OM), have absolutely no need to know who is disabled and who is not. Should they care to share, fine. If not, fine.
Elliason on the Midnight Ocean, once again
No longer anyone's gal
Back after a long absence.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rkentmav82 at Aug 28, 2009 4:12:04 AM]
[Aug 28, 2009 4:09:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

Yeah, the point of color changes isn't to make it easier for color deficient/color "blind" people, but to make it so that color deficient people can perform on a level equivalent to people with normal color vision.

I know that, personally, I have a very significant problem differentiating the yellow and the green sf pieces; I only know which is yellow and which is green because I asked someone which was which after reading the four piece colors on YPPedia. I've had a lot of practice at this point, and can kind of differentiate the colors a little, but I still mostly rely on the shapes on the pieces instead. I also have a lot of trouble with mixed colors in alchemy and colors in drinking, but I really don't play either of those much so it's not a huge deal (plus, neither really requires quick responses). If I were to change the colors of the yellow and green pieces in sf, it wouldn't be to make me better than people with normal color vision, it would be so that I could actually see the damn difference there. If someone with normal color vision changed the colors, on the other hand, it would have much less of an effect on their play.

(Incidentally, the only reason I haven't change the colors is because I feel like a color change might cause more of a distraction than anything else)
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Aug 28, 2009 8:28:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

I don't know how strong my deficit is, mainly because I don't know what the pieces look like to people with normal color vision. Anyway, I like to include a demo from this website when I lecture on color vision. It's a nice demonstration of what the world looks like to people with various abnormalities in color vision. You can actually upload images and the Vischeck program will adjust the colors so that it appears to a person with normal color vision roughly how it would appear to someone with one of three specific color vision abnormalities. I figured some people might be interested in playing around with this. :)

I'm an anomalous trichromat (protanomalous if I remember correctly, but not sure), which it doesn't provide an option of simulating, but the protanope form is close enough. The main difference is that both the reds and blues look a little less saturated to me in the altered image than the original, which suggests it's not a perfect match for me, but I really can't easily notice a difference in color between the green and yellow pieces.

What you see and what I see (roughly).
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Aug 28, 2009 12:44:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Aliyah

I would prefer you didn't point us out. One of the nice advantages to playing as a pixel is that those of us with disabilities AREN'T different. Everyone who gets a pegleg, hook, or eyepatch have mates that are jealous of them but they also have that choice to undo the injury. There are many different kinds of disabilities and they need to be handled differently if they affect the game at all. I'm glad to see there is something for colorblindness and can easily see how the shapes on some of the swords and rumble can confuse you. I am hearing impaired. When I first started the game, everyone chatted in word form (in game text, IM, etc.) but now it is "understood" in so many crews and flags to use vent and teamspeak. I don't and have been uninvited to more than one pillage as a result even though it doesn't affect my puzzling. Those without arms / fingers truly have my sympathy about what they must go through. I know a few like you in real life that amaze me daily. If I'm out on the ocean, you can consider yourself always welcome on my pillages. I prefer the hard worker anyday!
~Thank yer lucky stars Lily isn't bnavving!
[Sep 3, 2009 2:31:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Billigan

What most navs are looking for from the stats of a random jobber is an indication that a jobber will stay on station, and try their best. When I get a polite, properly worded request to include someone in a voyage, I will usually job them - because it shows me that they know enough about the game to be able to figure out who's driving a voyage, and are motivated enough to go the extra mile. I've spoken to many navs who take a similar approach.

I could not agree with you more Sweetness!

I would rather take a loyal and dedicaded able than a lazy GM anyday. I also get a lot of enjoyment from helping new players.

I don't care if you have a disability, or you are a new player, or whatever. If you are willing to be a good mate, you are welcome on any of my voyages. Even CI.
Billigan Of Sage Ocean
Senior Officer..Errr Captain.... Ummm Senior Officer Of Cry Havoc.

Tropicalgal's (former) Pet Prince of Dominant Storm.
[Sep 15, 2009 7:02:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

I don't care if you have a disability, or you are a new player, or whatever. If you are willing to be a good mate, you are welcome on any of my voyages. Even CI.

Nicely said mate!
First off, I'd just like to spread my support for this thread, I know many disabled pirates and I feel that if we can make their stay easier, lets do everything we can!
Second off, I do suffer from a color disability as well. Though this has nothing to do with my eyes.. My computer monitor is pink tinted(don't ask me how.. I don't know). But this often gives me a sense of being "color blind". It also affects my puzzling. If I puzzle for more then half an hour I become extremely puzzle blind and my skill level goes down. Therefore I can relate to people with color issues, and it sucks!
Thanks for posting this thread!
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Nov 1, 2009 10:21:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

Visually impaired players: The unseen inhabitants of Azeroth While it's about WoW players, it gives insight to players with disabilities including examples of what they see if anyone's interested.
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Nov 7, 2009 1:45:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
alexhard1212

i had dell fix it to where i see it with the right colors for my color-blindness. Maybe dell can make computers for gamers with disablilities. Again my computer was fixed for color-blindness that i suffer from.
you can catch me on hunter ocean and on aim island sexymateyhif so come and find me
[Jan 4, 2010 2:08:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alexhard1212

I know many disabled pirates and I feel that if we can make their stay easier, lets do everything we can!

i am color blind and dell rig my monitor so i can play for extended periods of time, still i cant play for more than an hour, but i can play and talk to my friends.

my friend is a studyer of the brain and he says that people who are colorblind who play games that move fast(puzzle pirates fits in that catagory) than peoples brain thinks that they are moving, not the screen, so some people might just blank out for a sec and may log off because the grow tired for that reason, the brain thinks that they are moving NOT THE SCREEN!!!!!

also thanks to all my friends that i have that support my husbands rare breast cancer!!!
you can catch me on hunter ocean and on aim island sexymateyhif so come and find me
[Jan 4, 2010 2:18:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkfloria

I think what you are doing is a really good geasture, its helpful and kind. I do know several people with disabillities and this kind of thing is really helpful for them.
?A good crew is a crew that sticks together.?
[Aug 16, 2010 8:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Messa77

I will apologize now for the length of this post. After nearly two years off and on of struggling with this game, I have quite a bit to say. I don't expect everyone to read the entire post, but I hope new players with disabilities like mine will find this helpful.

I have mixed connective tissue disease and neuropathy that, among other things, affect my finger joints and the sensitivity in my fingers. Arthritis may be most commonly associated with the elderly but can affect people of any age. My arthritis problems started at fifteen. I certainly wouldn't want my pirates to be singled out in any way, even though my disabilities do affect gameplay. Keyboard intensive puzzles (like swordfighting) can become painful, and I struggle with the control of my mouse at times. I certainly don't envy those like the pirate who spawned this thread who must rely on assistive devices like a mouthstick to puzzle, but I would certainly be happy to hire anyone with the dedication to master puzzles well enough to produce "Fine" duty ratings with such a device.

On the tips and tricks front, I offer the following general suggestions to new players with disabilities.

1. Use the navy. Yes, I know pillaging is more fun, and that people are always looking for a chance to head out on a special trip like the SMH, CI, and the new (as of this post) HS. For those of us with disabilities affecting gameplay, the navy can be a very important part of getting good enough at the puzzle to be able to perform at a reasonable skill level. Further, it is a good way to explore the different puzzles and try different techniques without getting yelled at by the officer in charge of a pillage for underperforming. Getting the experience level up by doing a lot of missions can help get you aboard ships. I am usually not picky when I run pillages (my bnav isn't good enough for me to be), but I know several officers who do look at the experience factor, not just the skill. Also, getting up to "respected" can mean a lot, even if a disability means you're not likely to ever see grand-master, much less ultimate. If you can get yourself to "respected" in at least two duty puzzles, you're much more likely to get jobbed. When starting out, look for greeter pillages.

2. Explore the rest of this handy tips and tricks forum, and consult the YPPEdia entries for each puzzle. Although many tips are geared toward normal pirates and may require some adjustments, many of the puzzles already have tips and tricks listed for different puzzling methods. Whether you do better with a keyboard or a mouse (or mouse-like assistive device), someone has probably already listed helpful tips. It may require some searching, but good tips are available. I finally learned to gun well enough to support solo sloop/cutter trading (before swabbies could gun) by finding a technique that combines keyboard and mouse use. I usually favor the mouse for as much as possible, but after reading some tips, I found that some of the combined keyboard/mouse techniques both improved my puzzle play and reduced the stress on my joints. You can save yourself a lot of time and energy if you check out the strategies others have devised and adapt them to suit your particular limitations.

3. If you have a disability that limits which puzzles you are able to do, please tell the officer in charge, preferably when you are first jobbed. Many do this for reasons as simple as working on a laptop and preferring puzzles that are easier with a keyboard. Don't be shy about it if you can't do a particular puzzle. Further, if you need to swap periodically because of something like carpal tunnel syndrome limiting your ability to do long sessions with repetitive movements, say so. Generally speaking, I've found PP players to be accommodating to others' needs, as long as the person is polite about it. You don't necessarily have to go into detail about your personal disabilities on every pillage you go on, but being straightforward about your needs is helpful to your fellow pirates. Don't ignore an order to change puzzles. That can get you planked. On a small ship, just tell the officer in charge over the vessel chat that you can't do the puzzle you were ordered to do. On a larger ship, a tell to the commanding officer is probably better, especially if you want the officer in charge, but not the whole ship, to know you have a disability. If you don't want to share your reason, be prepared for a cooler reception. Most pirates have a favorite puzzle, but sometimes a ship needs people to do something other than their favorite. Some officers will take a statement that you only bilge (or whatever) to be uncooperative. At the very least, make it clear that you can't do something, not that you won't, even if you're more comfortable not mentioning a disability.

4. Try the crafting puzzles. On my bad days when I can't work fast enough to be very good at any duty puzzles, I sometimes enjoy crafting. With the exception of distilling, speed is not a factor in crafting puzzles. I love them enough to have opened my own stalls and started building a trading empire. I do miss the social aspects on my bad days, but I can still enjoy the puzzles, no matter how slowly I'm moving of what medications I had to take.

5. Each ocean has a personality, as do each flag and crew. I would strongly encourage pirates with disabilities to explore the different oceans, flags, and crews to find a fit. There are crews geared toward every playing style out there if you look long enough. For example, if you're getting overwhelmed on a busy ocean, try Malachite. Because it is the smallest of the English-speaking oceans, it can be easier to advance since skill rankings are relative. Many notice board pillages are geared towards easy battles. Pillages hunting easy to average brigands and/or barbarians will often take anyone available, even if you're just "able". The bravery badge activities are somewhat more limited because it is harder to fill a large ship, and small CIs tend to be either done by small groups within a crew or with hearties, making it harder for lower-skilled pirates, with or without disabilities.

6. When you find an accommodating officer, ask them to be your hearty and consider joining the crew. Especially on bigger oceans, having good officers as hearties will help you glance through the jobbing lists and find the ones most likely to hire you.

7. Most of the keys used for puzzles are customizable through the options menu. If you find a particular set difficult, you can set them to whatever you prefer. Also, the function keys are chat shortcuts you can customize. If you can only do one puzzle on the ship and type slowly, setting a function key to text explaining that you can only do that puzzle will save you time and energy, for example.

And for those like me with arthritis and/or limited movement in the hands, I give the following information about the shipboard puzzles.

*Start out with bilging or rigging, especially if keyboard use is difficult.

*Sailing, duty navigation, and swordfighting require the use of the keyboard. Carpentry, gunning, and rumble are difficult (but not impossible) without a mouse.

*Bilging requires only the ability to move the cursor and to click (or press a key) to swap pieces. Either the mouse or the keyboard arrow keys and spacebar/enter may be used.

*Rigging is drag-and-drop, which may be harder for some people, but I find it much less stressful on the joints than the fast-moving and key-intensive sailing puzzle. For keyboard only directions, see the YPPedia entry on Rigging.

*Carpentry can be done either solely with a wheeled mouse, with a combination of mouse and keyboard, or with just the keyboard. Personally, I find the combination of mouse and keyboard easiest. I use the mouse to select pieces and position them but the keyboard to mirror swap (Z key) and rotate (X and C keys) because I struggle with the wheel control when my fingers are swollen. Also, if you miss-click slightly in positioning as I am prone to doing when my hands hurt or shake, it is worth noting that you can pick up and adjust a piece immediately after placing. Just click the piece you just misplaced and adjust it slightly in position, rotation, or mirroring. I think the limit is one square in any direction from the first placement, and you can only adjust once. For keyboard only directions, see the YPPedia entry on Carpentry.

*Sailing is generally done with the arrow keys and spacebar. It may be easier for with extremely limited hand use, those who rely on a stick to push keys or are otherwise limited in the use of the mouse. The pieces do move rather quickly, which can be difficult on more crowded boards, so that may be a limiting factor for some.

*A pirate does not have to master both rigging and sailing. The two puzzles serve the same purpose aboard the ship, so pirates who struggle significantly with one or the other are best served by mastering just one. For those who struggle with repetitive motion, the fact that sailing and rigging serve the same purpose can be a benefit aboard ship. When I have nerve pain in my hands, I sometimes like taking a sailing/rigging station and periodically switch which puzzle I'm doing to ease the repetitive motion strain. For longer puzzling sessions (especially SMH, CI, HS, flotillas, blockades), the ability to switch puzzles without having to find someone willing to swap stations can be useful.

*Gunning is the puzzle where the officer in charge is most likely to demand a certain minimum stat. It is not a puzzle a new pirate is likely to be asked to do. I personally find using a mouse to position the arrows and the keyboard to set the direction of the arrow easiest, but one can gun with just a mouse or just a keyboard. This is definitely a puzzle where it is good to read tips and tricks, no matter what your limitations are. If you struggle to get "proficient" stats in the other puzzles (especially if doing puzzles quickly is a major issue), it probably isn't worth spending time on this puzzle.

*Duty navigation is a keyboard puzzle, but it uses just direction keys and spacebar. This is another advanced puzzle and not one a new player will be asked to do. For those who want to become officers and run pillages or trade, this is a necessary puzzle. The duty navigation score increases the chances you'll get the enemy brigands and/or barbarians you are hunting for in a pillage and decreases the chances you'll be attacked when trading or evading. Memorizing league points so you aren't limited by the charts available requires the ability to achieve rating of at least "Fine". Mastering this puzzle allows solo trading in a sloop or cutter, since the swabbies can now do all the other duty puzzles (except battle navigation, in the event you are attacked).

*Battle navigation is a puzzle that is generally done by mouse and is nearly always the responsibility of the officer in charge. The turns are relatively short, but the puzzle is a mental challenge more than a speed one in most cases. It can be an advantage to set moves quickly, especially against human opponents, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

*Swordfighting is the puzzle for battling brigands and in SMH and HS, as well as most PVP. It can also be a parlor game. It is usually a keyboard puzzle, and speed is a major factor in doing the puzzle well. Worthy of note is that selecting one's opponent by keyboard can be done with the A and S keys (up and down, respectively) or with the [ and ] keys.

*Rumble is the puzzle for battle barbarians and in CI, as well as for certain PVP battles in which the stronger nav score team was hunting barbarians but not brigands. It can also be a parlor game. The mouse is generally used to aim, and the right and left mouse buttons to fire from the right or left side, respectively. To use the keyboard, the arrow keys can be used to aim, and the Z znd X keys to fire from the left and right sides, respectively. In multiplayer, I believe the A and S or [ and ] keys select opponents, as in swordfight.

Anyone who want to discuss arthritis-related game issues or needs some help getting started is welcome to send me a private message or to talk to me in game.

I hope this helps.

--Messa of Malachite

P.S. To game designers/OMs, although most pirates with disabilities would prefer not to be singled out, it might be useful to those with severe disabilities to be able to retain greenie status for greeter pillages. Perhaps this could be done by petition, and the pirate's name would not necessarily have to stay green so that only the greeters would know that a pirate has special status. I know there aren't a lot of greeter pillages, especially on Malachite, but I do think there is a good case to be made for allowing pirates with disabilities limiting gameplay to be automatically included on greeter pillages and to get the full pay a greenie would if their abilities effectively make them permanent greenies.
[Aug 26, 2010 5:46:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Farewinds

I think this is a great thread. I'm all for taking lower skilled players along on pillages and even CI's i regually take my lower ranking crew with proficient and distinguished stats along on CI's.
[Sep 2, 2010 4:57:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rustedlily

Question from a hearing-impaired pirate here:

Do the sounds of the game mean something in game play?
Which puzzles do they make a difference to?

What am I missing, by not being able to hear certain frequencies at all, and not being able to hear others unless they're turned up too loud for anybody near me to stand it?

Thank you very much, in advance.
[Dec 20, 2010 6:16:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Question from a hearing-impaired pirate here:

Do the sounds of the game mean something in game play?
Which puzzles do they make a difference to?

What am I missing, by not being able to hear certain frequencies at all, and not being able to hear others unless they're turned up too loud for anybody near me to stand it?

Thank you very much, in advance.

I play with all the sound off as a personal preference. The only thing you might be missing that is important is the occasional "Whistle" when an officer is ordering people to stations. If you keep one eye on the chat, though, you should see the notice.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Dec 20, 2010 7:48:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates