• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 472
Posts: 472   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22550 times and has 471 replies Next Thread
54x

Re: Apoth Puzzle Reply to this Post

Quizzical wrote: 
So the way to score well is to get one each of a bunch of different colors?

That seems to be the first step. You should try for at least two colours each time you press fill. However, when you get to multi-stepped bottles, it becomes much more important to fill the ones which have as many labels on the bottom the same as possible.

I also suspect secondary colours (green, orange, purple) score higher than primary ones. (yellow, blue, red)
----------------------------------------
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 12, 2004 2:35:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

BehindCurtai wrote: 
Alright, here's something I want in apoth:

1. The ability to flip pipe pieces (low).
2. The ability to swap neighboring tiles (HIGH!)

1. I wouldn't hold my breath
2. Absolutely not. That has nothing at all to do with this puzzle.

Play more (obviously later) and get out of your head what you think the puzzle is, and play what it actually is.

As for the scoring:

Pieces moved has nothing whatsoever to do with your score.

You are scored on the value of the bottles you completely fill.
- Secondary colors are slightly more valuable than primaries.
- Filling more than one bottle of the same color at a time grants an increasing bonus the more you can manage.
- Filling more than one bottle of different colors grants an increasing multiplier the more you can manage.
- All bonuses are applied to all bottles affected.
- Bottles with multiple colors required are scored by the average of each, with a slight bonus for each. (An example with completely made-up numbers: a red, red, green bottle on which you got 6, 8, 14, your score would be the average of 6, 8+1 and 14+1, or 10)
- As Akumu helpfully points out, high-scoring on the last bottles is not at all wasted.

Single elbows at the bottom are a nuisance, but a bit of experience and you quickly wash them out whenever possible. There's debate over whether or not that is ideal, but that's nothing compared to deciding what would be better, and the ease of merely dealing with them as a part of the puzzle outweighs a lot of other choices.
[Oct 12, 2004 2:37:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

54x wrote: 
That's the equivilent of a "triple" for colours. It goes Double Double, (for two colours) Toil and Trouble, (3) Witches' Brew, (4) and then Cauldron Bubble. (5)

(note: Apparantly you ALSO get scoring bonuses for clearing a very large amount of bottles at once. A flagmember shared that she got a "donkey" for clearing seven bottles)

Interestingly, none of the lines in MacBeth seem to fit after that, so it's probably something that's not very easy to guess anyway.

The bonus for four colors is "Fire Burn!"

When clearing multiple bottles of the same color, it goes (single 1 ), Double Bottle (2), Triple Bottle (3), Quadruple Bottle (4), Five Bottles (5), Bingo (6). I would assume Donkey is 7, and Vegas is 8.
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Oct 12, 2004 2:50:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

WhoIsYou wrote: 

I can't say I've seen it in game yet for six, but if you know what to look for, you can find what it is.

I think I personally would have rather seen my screen filled with "Something wicked this way comes!"

As for the the other bonuses...
There are two types: Filling multiple bottles of the same color and completing bottles.

Homogeneous fills are the ones that yield "Double!" "Triple" "Bingo" and so on past(there's something beyond Vegas in this puzzle too).

Completing multiple bottles gives you the "Double Bottle", "Triple Bottle", "Quadruple Bottle" and up.
[Oct 12, 2004 3:13:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
54x

WhoIsYou wrote: 
54x wrote: 
That's the equivilent of a "triple" for colours. It goes Double Double, (for two colours) Toil and Trouble, (3) Witches' Brew, (4) and then Cauldron Bubble. (5)

(note: Apparantly you ALSO get scoring bonuses for clearing a very large amount of bottles at once. A flagmember shared that she got a "donkey" for clearing seven bottles)

Interestingly, none of the lines in MacBeth seem to fit after that, so it's probably something that's not very easy to guess anyway.

When clearing multiple bottles of the same color, it goes (single 1 ), Double Bottle (2), Triple Bottle (3), Quadruple Bottle (4), Five Bottles (5), Bingo (6). I would assume Donkey is 7, and Vegas is 8.

You are indeed correct. My MacBeth is rusty. (I've only read it, and only once at that, too) I wonder where I got Witches' Brew from- surely the witches wouldn't say that?

I mentioned a flagmate had got a donkey at seven bottles earlier on in the thread, so those match up. Nice to know, thanks :D

As for flipping pieces... while it may be irritating, it's part of the puzzle. It'd be too easy, in my opinion, to play the game with the ability to flip pieces. It's a rotational game. You should have to deal with the problem of mirror images and create a safe path DESPITE that challenge.

Single elbows at the bottom are a nuisance, but a bit of experience and you quickly wash them out whenever possible. There's debate over whether or not that is ideal, but that's nothing compared to deciding what would be better, and the ease of merely dealing with them as a part of the puzzle outweighs a lot of other choices.

Could they perhaps be made rarer on those topmost and bottommost grid squares? (along with the three-directional pipe that has rotational symmetry- there's no way to get this one either) I think it actually adds to the challenge that you can't always have the chance to fill all eight bottles with your first try- but at the same time, having a large number of tight bends appear down the bottom could have problems for your game.

One thing I noticed was that crossovers don't seem to spawn very generously. It's way too early to tell if this is a problem though :) It was probably also because I didn't test the puzzle enough to get a good sample. At the higher end though, I can see the performance of any given puzzling session being based quite highly on whether they drew good crossover pieces.

The thing I'm thinking of investigating when the full puzzle is released is whether you can make a fill that doesn't clear any bottles at all and have it not impact negatively on your score- if the answer is yes, it seems to me that it would become a very good strategy to finish off the lower tiers of multi-fill beakers first, and then try and get as many at once at the end. (provided that would leave you with a decent colour variety for combos)
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 12, 2004 5:14:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

54x wrote: 
Could they perhaps be made rarer on those topmost and bottommost grid squares?

It's funny how this is everyone's first "solution." But it's impossible. Pieces drop to fill gaps, with more pieces coming in from the top to fill empty space. So, you can't affect their likelihood of arriving at the bottom of the board.

54x wrote: 
One thing I noticed was that crossovers don't seem to spawn very generously.

You get more crossovers the higher "level" you work at.

54x wrote: 
The thing I'm thinking of investigating when the full puzzle is released is whether you can make a fill that doesn't clear any bottles at all and have it not impact negatively on your score

It doesn't hurt you at all.
[Oct 13, 2004 12:47:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Nemo wrote: 

54x wrote: 
The thing I'm thinking of investigating when the full puzzle is released is whether you can make a fill that doesn't clear any bottles at all and have it not impact negatively on your score

It doesn't hurt you at all.

I hoping that, since at the higher "levels" you usually can't fill any bottles since all of them are multicolored.

I didn't think about filling both red and blue or two different colors type at a time, I'm going to try that next time I get a chance.

BTW, if number of rotations do not count, why is that counter in the bottom left? It starts at 75, and counts down everytime you rotate a piece....
[Oct 13, 2004 1:35:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

You can't take more than 75 piece rotations without a bottle breaking, but anywhere above 0 left counts the same.
[Oct 13, 2004 1:36:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

BehindCurtai wrote: 
Oh -- Right now you have to "click" on a bottle to see how sparkly and valuable it is. I'd like to see that on just a mouseover, or to see it automatically.

Can you elaborate? Do you mean the fillable bottles or the ones below it? And is it not just a mtter of the more clors needed for the fillable ones, the more valuable?

Remember, some of us missed the ball both times....
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Oct 13, 2004 1:37:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

whoa, I've been getting Increds, and I didn't know about clicking to see sparkliness?
[Oct 13, 2004 1:39:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

lizthegrey wrote: 
whoa, I've been getting Increds, and I didn't know about clicking to see sparkliness?

I said the thing. I just filled bottles and it seemed to work.

Ahh so thats what the counter is for. Thanks for telling me that.
[Oct 13, 2004 1:41:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Huh!?

Counter is number f moves allowed, is it not?

ANd what mean you by sprinkliness!!! :-)

Bad enough there's no screen caps of Quicksilver :-P
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Oct 13, 2004 1:59:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joneth

It is worth noting that to get combos you don't have to fill with different colors, just from different spouts. If you fill a red bottle from one spout, and then fill another red bottle from another spout, *without the pipes merging* that counts as a double. This means that the theoretical limit to combos is 11x, since there are 11 spouts.
[Oct 13, 2004 2:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Well, after trying the puzzle it seems that working from the bottom up is not the best solution. I would think that you want to establish sources of the colors you intend to work with first ... i.e. get some red potion, purple potion, and some yellow potion up at some points near the top, then work from the bottom up to try to connect the correct spouts to the correct flasks.
Markozeta
[Oct 13, 2004 2:21:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
mirror

Is the cute background we saw a bit back going to indeed be in the background?

-Makal
[Oct 13, 2004 3:18:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

more Scoring Combos Reply to this Post

Joneth wrote: 
It is worth noting that to get combos you don't have to fill with different colors, just from different spouts. If you fill a red bottle from one spout, and then fill another red bottle from another spout, *without the pipes merging* that counts as a double. This means that the theoretical limit to combos is 11x, since there are 11 spouts.

Nemo's post covers this topic well and briefly outlines how these bonuses interact, which I didn't notice before.

For filling bottles of the same color, those combos have the theoretical limit of 11x. Those are the "Double!" "Triple!" "Bingo" and so on. We see fun things past ?Vegas!? this time too. That's an increasing bonus.

For filling bottles of multiple colors you get the "Double Double" "Toil and Trouble" combos. Limit of up to 7x on that one with a 10,000 PoE bounty for a screenshot of a 6x. Each of these are a multiplier which makes a combination of the two bonuses the most important, it would seem.

Has anyone at Ringer HQ managed a seven color yet?
[Oct 13, 2004 3:46:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Hahahah. Six AND quicksilver? That'd be a sight to see. I predict the bonus for that to be "Suffering suckatash!", just because I can ;)

t's funny how this is everyone's first "solution." But it's impossible. Pieces drop to fill gaps, with more pieces coming in from the top to fill empty space. So, you can't affect their likelihood of arriving at the bottom of the board.

Heh. Probably best to leave them in then. People will moan, but it will just be another thing that seperates out the skill levels.
from Midnight.
[Oct 13, 2004 4:16:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
kehraus

Bubblin' Bingo!
Treguard
Breaker of brigands and hearts alike!
[Oct 13, 2004 4:26:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

kehraus wrote: 
Bubblin' Bingo!

Bingo, Donkey, and Vegas, as stated earlier in this thread, already appear when you get 6-8 bottles at once :)
from Midnight.
[Oct 13, 2004 4:30:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

54x wrote: 
kehraus wrote: 
Bubblin' Bingo!

Bingo, Donkey, and Vegas, as stated earlier in this thread, already appear when you get 6-8 bottles at once :)

No, 4-6 of the same color at once.
[Oct 13, 2004 4:48:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
Joneth

Re: more Scoring Combos Reply to this Post

Akumu wrote: 
Joneth wrote: 

Nemo's post covers this topic well and briefly outlines how these bonuses interact, which I didn't notice before.

For filling bottles of the same color, those combos have the theoretical limit of 11x. Those are the "Double!" "Triple!" "Bingo" and so on. We see fun things past ?Vegas!? this time too. That's an increasing bonus.

For filling bottles of multiple colors you get the "Double Double" "Toil and Trouble" combos. Limit of up to 7x on that one with a 10,000 PoE bounty for a screenshot of a 6x. Each of these are a multiplier which makes a combination of the two bonuses the most important, it would seem.

Then there's a bug, because I experimented by doing two seperate pipelines of the same color and got Double, Double.
Each pipline is scored seperately it seems.
[Oct 13, 2004 4:53:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

Akumu wrote: 
54x wrote: 
kehraus wrote: 
Bubblin' Bingo!

No, 4-6 of the same color at once.

You must have been playing a different apothecary puzzle than I was. I filled six bottles with purple and got a "Bingo".
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Oct 13, 2004 5:00:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

I filled five with blue, and it said "Five bottles"

So, 6 -> Bingo, 7 -> Donkey, 8 -> Vegas.

9-11? I guess only Peghead knows...
Markozeta
[Oct 13, 2004 5:04:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

Markoman wrote: 
I filled five with blue, and it said "Five bottles"

So, 6 -> Bingo, 7 -> Donkey, 8 -> Vegas.

9-11? I guess only Peghead knows...

Ha! Whoisyou and Markoman are right. I don't know what I was looking at.
[Oct 13, 2004 5:28:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
fluffy3000

So when can we expect to see the apoth puzzle appear in the game? Says apoth changes since update, but I have yet to see the puzzle....
- Crazysarah, Senior Officer of Soyokaze, Member of Honor Among Thieves
[Oct 13, 2004 5:47:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

fluffy3000 wrote: 
So when can we expect to see the apoth puzzle appear in the game? Says apoth changes since update, but I have yet to see the puzzle....

No, it says "in the update," not "since the update." Huge difference.

It'll be released when it's ready, but since it's in public testing, "soon" is a good guess.

atteSmythe,
oh so helpful

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 13, 2004 5:49:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

Joneth wrote: 

This might be intentional. If you use two pipelines of the same color, that automatically rules out one secondary color. Your score will be lower for doing this rather than mixing secondaries, and chances are, you won't be able to manage the higher multipliers.
[Oct 13, 2004 5:58:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
Tedv

Akumu wrote: 
Joneth wrote: 

This might be intentional. If you use two pipelines of the same color, that automatically rules out one secondary color. Your score will be lower for doing this rather than mixing secondaries, and chances are, you won't be able to manage the higher multipliers.

And it seems much harder to run two separate pipelines, I would suspect.
[Oct 13, 2004 6:01:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fluffy3000

atteSmythe wrote: 
fluffy3000 wrote: 

No, it says "in the update," not "since the update." Huge difference.

It'll be released when it's ready, but since it's in public testing, "soon" is a good guess.

atteSmythe,
oh so helpful

Thank ye! How do we participate in the public testing... or is that over?
- Crazysarah, Senior Officer of Soyokaze, Member of Honor Among Thieves
[Oct 13, 2004 7:00:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

fluffy3000 wrote: 
Thank ye! How do we participate in the public testing... or is that over?

Two rounds of public testing are done, and it's just a guess, but I think we'll likely see one more before patch day.

Keep an eye on the appropriate thread in the Announcements forum for more information.

atteSmythe,
++linky

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 13, 2004 7:04:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 472   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates