• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3992 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
hollowluke

Small Suggestion - Disengage Option Reply to this Post

I was out on a wee voyage with a couple o' me senior officers last night and experienced our first accidental disengaging. While I be on nav, calmly tenderizing the scurvy blighters we had attacked, one of me officers attempted to leave his carpentry station to load the cannons. Unfortunately, due to a small error in his mouse placement, he disengaged us from the battle.

While this wasn't necessarily game-killing, it did prove to be quite annoying, and unnecessary. Is there any particular reason that all the officers on a boat are given the "disengage" option for every fight? I would suggest that disengaging be limited to whichever crew member happens to be navigating the vessel in battle, for both simplicity's sake and to prevent such unfortunate accidents.

Other possibilities include moving the button to a more removed spot on the interface, or requiring a confirmation (ie: do you want to disengage from battle? yes/no) after clicking the button.
----------------------------------------
Stormy - Senior Officer of Red Dawn
Genghis - Captain of Midnight Armada
[Sep 9, 2003 9:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    hollowluke [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Re: Small Suggestion - Disengage Option Reply to this Post

I disagree with your idea that only the navigating officer can be allowed to disengage - just in case you are training, or they freeze up, or the officer on radar isn't the one running the boat.. a bunch of reasons.

However a "are you sure you want to disengage" check box would be nice.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 9, 2003 9:38:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BrokenShard

my thoughts exactly lizzie, just couldnt really find a short enough explaination for that one

-Faldez
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend
[Sep 9, 2003 9:39:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I like the current system where other officers can disengage for the mentioned reasons. I can't think of a time when this was abused by a fellow officer and I've seen alot of battles. And if it is, well then maybe there's some ranks to discuss in that crew.

And the confirmation box for disengaging isn't necessary, your experience there I would consider as very rare.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Sep 9, 2003 10:55:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

It should also be noted that the attacker's immediate disengage will be replaced with an option for the defender to disengage. So, if the attack decides to call off the attack, instead of abruptly ending the battle, it instead just gives the defender the option to agree.

Ahh, The List.

-Nemo
[Sep 9, 2003 11:32:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

Nemo wrote: 
It should also be noted that the attacker's immediate disengage will be replaced with an option for the defender to disengage. So, if the attack decides to call off the attack, instead of abruptly ending the battle, it instead just gives the defender the option to agree.

Ahh, The List.

-Nemo

Awesome. I hate when the cowards flee after attackin' any ol thing, and gettin' in over they heads.
[Sep 9, 2003 12:02:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Ooh I very much welcome that addition, many a times I've been attacked but friendly enough to hand over some cannon balls to the attacker only to see him take off with them, such manners!
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Sep 9, 2003 12:04:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

Rengor wrote: 
Ooh I very much welcome that addition, many a times I've been attacked but friendly enough to hand over some cannon balls to the attacker only to see him take off with them, such manners!

You should paint "RSVP" in white letters on them. Then they'd know it'd berude to not reply.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Sep 9, 2003 12:19:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
hollowluke

Lizzie wrote: 
I disagree with your idea that only the navigating officer can be allowed to disengage - just in case you are training, or they freeze up, or the officer on radar isn't the one running the boat.. a bunch of reasons.

However a "are you sure you want to disengage" check box would be nice.

Thanks for the response Lizzie, I suppose I haven't trained enough officers, or at least ones who freeze up to see the need. I'm not quite sure what you meant regarding the "officer on radar" but I'm sure it's a salient point.

And Silverbeard, I think you are right, my experience is likely a rare one. On the other hand, it was annoying enough that I thought I might as well make a suggestion.

Apologies if this has all been a retread of some other thread. I haven't spent enough time on the forums to know what has and has not been covered.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    hollowluke [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

You don't know about the radar? Let me make your life a million times easier.

Go to chart course after ye set sail, and enlarge the map. Ye will see lots of colour dots, which represent ships, so you know if there's greens etc in yer general area. Working with both radar and crows nest makes it a lot easier to pillage. :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 9, 2003 7:46:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Can we have the attacker's engage work in the old way after 10 turns? So that way it's still possible for the attacker to disengage for whatever reason, but ONLY after the defender has had a chance to deal damage/board?
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 10, 2003 12:31:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

Only tangentially related: out on the ocean, I click "attack!"; I'd like to be able to disengage the current target, rather than having to reclick the target and click disengage. If the target is slightly faster than me and it becomes clear I'm not going to catch up, I have to either go to the crew's nest to disengage or just wait for it to get out of range, either of which can ruin my chance of retargeting.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Sep 10, 2003 12:37:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
hollowluke

Lizzie wrote: 
You don't know about the radar? Let me make your life a million times easier.

Go to chart course after ye set sail, and enlarge the map. Ye will see lots of colour dots, which represent ships, so you know if there's greens etc in yer general area. Working with both radar and crows nest makes it a lot easier to pillage. :)

I appreciate your effort to make my life a million times easier, but I knew about using the radar in targeting at sea. What I didn't recognize (and had explained to me by a friend from a larger crew) was having one officer on radar and another officer making the targeting decisions. As the captain of a small crew, I spend so much time going between the radar and crow's nest I took it for granted that one officer can handle both. In cases like you described, giving each officer the "disengage" option makes a lot more sense.
[Sep 11, 2003 10:17:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    hollowluke [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I didn't want to make it sound like I thought you were a n00b! :) I just know quite a lot of people who have suddenly stumbled across the radar and you sounded confused when I mentioned it.

I know exactly what you mean about moving between radar and crow's nest, I do it myself; but if you have seven on board a small sloop, sometimes you can afford to have one on each, and as for a bigger ship I'd say it would be handy. :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 11, 2003 10:23:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hollowluke

Lizzie wrote: 
I didn't want to make it sound like I thought you were a n00b! :) I just know quite a lot of people who have suddenly stumbled across the radar and you sounded confused when I mentioned it.

I know exactly what you mean about moving between radar and crow's nest, I do it myself; but if you have seven on board a small sloop, sometimes you can afford to have one on each, and as for a bigger ship I'd say it would be handy. :)

Sorry for the defensiveness, Lizzie, that wasn't at all fair.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    hollowluke [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

No worries, dude :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 11, 2003 6:24:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PrimeThian

As a showing of perspective. I had to show my captain what the radar was and teach him to use it properly. *smiles* It's amazing how many little things there are about this game that a number of us will take forever to find, but that's what good crews are for.
Prime (Hunter) : Fleet Officer of The Black Hunters
Typ (Sage) : Pirate of Irish Rouges [dormant]
Prime (Azure) : The Red and Green Senior Officer [memories]
[Sep 11, 2003 7:18:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates