• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 245
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 75664 times and has 244 replies Next Thread
mitmit

Re: Family Ocean Beta Feedback

You're my hero Jenny! I'm just a little scared she's going to be better at the puzzles then me.
----------------------------------------
Generic comment.
[Jul 6, 2009 11:27:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joythompson

Can i make a comment please as i have some grandchildren who are eager to play this online game however with the filter set up as it is , i am myself finding it hard to say even simple things ( and nothing is ever rude or could be misconstrued either) but i have one child with dyselxia who doesn't spell at all well although he is proving quite a good puzzler but suffers from not being able to type much at all as every word has to be completley correct on this ocean, and with no shortened words as well.
I feel the filter should surely be able to grab rude vulgar or swear words without making the necessity for accuracy in everyday language, so dominant.
Can't it be set in the options like on the standard oceans so a parent could control the sort of language their child is able to type or read.
Is it too hard to do? as the majority of children that this ocean is aimed at can't spell very well.
I can't see parents playing at the same time if they have to stand over the computer helping with spelling, not easy on a voyage together to be hopping around a room or up and downstairs so they can chat to each other in game, I KNOW !! i did this at the weekend it proved quite a task when 2 children were on the ocean at the same time as me, we decided to shout out to each other between rooms in the end, and i had to stop and type things to others players on their behalf spoiling the game for me i must say, but when crewmates are asking things it made it extremley hard for the disadvantaged child as people thought he was just being rude and not replying.

Can you at three rings consider the children please ? especially younger ones learning to read and write and those with reading and writing problems , you have made chat between crew and friends and family on the crimson ocean very difficult as the filters are set at the moment.
[Jul 7, 2009 8:28:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
affinity

Security

Among the millions of complaints regarding the Crimson ocean, there has to be a question of security in regards to the children that will be accessing the game.

The filter, is there so as correct spelling is a requirement to play. However, i very much doubt that any child either has the patience to adjust their spelling upon seeing the red highlighter or the knowledge to make informed changes to their spelling. After all, a 13 year old would only be at a Year 7-8 level. Have you ever seen essays written by kids that age? They are atrocious in their spelling and grammar. This needs to be addressed.

Furthermore, this ocean is more vulnerable to infiltration by molesters and child pervets than any other ocean by the strict observation made by the fact that it is targeted towards children. Thus, either OOO will need to have a several people monitoring ALL chats or some other means in order to protect the innocence of the children. This is quite a major worry for any parent, since they will be recommending this new Crimson ocean for its apparent child related novelty little regarding the security of it. I question OOO in how they intend to deal with this issue, if they intend to deal with it at all.

Another point is the dictionary. Using a computational linguistic managing software would be much easier than the current option used which is a closed input source so it seems thus restricting the dictionary. Therefore, by using computational linguistics it would intergrate the 'correct spelling' that OOO wants promoted on this ocean, but also act as a educational tool which as oppose to discouraging children, would encourage them to play and learn. I would direct your attention to the article Statistical Models For Unsupervised Prepositional Phrase Attatchment by Ratnaparkhi 1998. Granted this is an old article, it still pertains to what is being argued here.

Thanks for reading. Sorry if any of what i said is a double of a previous post by others.
Mendikins Law states:
As any forum discussion grows in length, the probability of God being mentioned as a topic within itself approaches one.
[Jul 7, 2009 8:32:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

They have considered the children -- that's why the filter is a whitelist, not a blacklist like the one in place on the other oceans.

The reason it is a whitelist is to make it more difficult for predators to get personally identifying information from children. That means countries, states, months of the year, days of the week are all out -- so a child can't tell some unsavory character that they're going to the Denver Zoo on Thursday, or arrange to meet someone they think is another child somewhere only to find out that it's really some creep with malicious intentions.

The fact that only correct spellings are permitted helps reduce the number of ways around that filter, to protect the children, and to remain compliant with COPPA requirements.

Yes, it can make things more difficult for someone learning to spell or working to overcome a learning disability or difference, but that is a far better situation than the small but non-zero risk that a predator would use a more lax filter to groom your child into easy prey.

To keep the ocean safe for children under 13, the filter needs to be a whitelist. They are still adding words to the whitelist, and there is a thread dedicated to that. It is highly unlikely that they will go to the trouble to add misspellings to the whitelist.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by taelac at Jul 7, 2009 8:51:33 AM]
[Jul 7, 2009 8:49:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Aye a white list is more difficult to work with but quite necessary in this case. I don't believe OOO intent is to require perfect spelling, but it is just a by-product of having a limited list. Some auto-correction could certainly help and there are programs that do so. However, I would suggest that auto-corrected words also be highlighted so that one can check to see if it is the correct word before hitting send. One time I was writing something like, "I try to not..." and missed the 'r' in try and instead said, "I thank ye to not..." and it came out as if I were chastising someone rather than talking about myself.

Again, we are in beta, it will take some time to get the list expanded to something more usable. As I stated before, I am not recommending new or young players to come to Crimson just yet - I don't think it would be the best experience right now but I am hoping it will be by the time we get to public release.

In the meantime, however, I would recommend that you use the chat shortcuts. Program in some basic answers or even something that might say, "Please have patience with me as I try to type out an answer." Then make an index card with all the shortcuts written down and keep it at the computer.*

*It is important to note that chat shortcuts are stored on the computer rather than by account so if you have more than one computer you will have to put them in on each, and if there is more than one account on the computer you will have to share the limited shortcuts, but at least it is a workable suggestion.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 7, 2009 9:20:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I can't see parents playing at the same time if they have to stand over the computer helping with spelling, not easy on a voyage together to be hopping around a room or up and downstairs so they can chat to each other in game, I KNOW !! i did this at the weekend it proved quite a task when 2 children were on the ocean at the same time as me, we decided to shout out to each other between rooms in the end, and i had to stop and type things to others players on their behalf spoiling the game for me i must say, but when crewmates are asking things it made it extremley hard for the disadvantaged child as people thought he was just being rude and not replying.

Can you at three rings consider the children please ? especially younger ones learning to read and write and those with reading and writing problems , you have made chat between crew and friends and family on the crimson ocean very difficult as the filters are set at the moment.

If I may offer a solution to standing over the computer?

My husband and I would play together before my laptop went kablooey. He hates typing, so I set both of us up with a Yahoo messenger account, and we use Yahoo Voice to talk back and forth, rather than shouting through the house. It's simpler than finding a server for one of the other chat programs, and only people you invite can join your chat.
Jolyma

[Jul 7, 2009 11:06:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

By the way the purple club names look very blue against the purple background in** treasure haul **(the one that indicates whose turn it is) threw me for a loop just now when I played the game against someone that seriously looked like their name was blue.

How do you play Treasure Haul against someone? How do you see whose turn it is??? I am soo lost on this one???

It would have to be on the Treasue expedition? I must be missing something. ???
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Jul 7, 2009 5:00:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

heh heh
No, I meant treasure drop - I don't play either puzzle very often - sorry for the confusion. :)
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Jul 7, 2009 5:29:23 PM]
[Jul 7, 2009 5:28:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Phew , I thought I was going round the bend...
Oh wait..
Winks
I already am around that bend...
Thanks Pleetoo.
Huggs
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Jul 7, 2009 5:42:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Re: Greatership

Not having been a greeter under the old secret society system, so I say this with a full lack of understanding of the inner workings of the old system but... It strikes me that the old system was custom made for a family ocean where you need stricter guideline to ensure that an authoritative figure is not just some jerk who managed to go a certain amount of time without being complained.

Re: Whitelist

How well is this chat filter going to work in 3 months when new pirates are created with names like "pierate" and the white list starts to become worthless? (Even disregarding the fact that people will start creating pirates to get words on the white list)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Jul 11, 2009 6:50:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daniels1884

The idea of the family ocean is brilliant , and i think it should of been made sooner.

Yes the chat filter can be a problem , but if any of you ever went on virtual magic kingdom before , they had a chat filter just like this , and children were fine using it , also lots of children will most likely move here , who played vmk as they , would like to play something else
Ahoy!
[Jul 11, 2009 9:28:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Aliyah

What I want to know is how exactly do I create a nice new account for my niece to play on, I tried yesterday only to have the "Arr ye are not old enough to play" message.

I was hoping if I put her age under the requirement it would automatically restrict it to Crimson, which I mean seems sensible, if you tell the person they can't play they're most likely just going to make an account with a higher birth date. Instead we get them signed up but limited to Crimson, it might make it a lot easier to keep them regulated to the ocean instead of just avoiding the age limit.

I had that problem too. Try making it fromhere.

Thank you Redjenny. That link was a life saver. I kept running into the same problem. My question now is ... I've gotten them into the game but the parent email would only connect the kids account to my account if I make a new pirate via the link. Am I missing something or can a parent have their pirate first?
~Thank yer lucky stars Lily isn't bnavving!
[Jul 11, 2009 1:34:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lovegodkid

Thank you Redjenny. That link was a life saver. I kept running into the same problem. My question now is ... I've gotten them into the game but the parent email would only connect the kids account to my account if I make a new pirate via the link. Am I missing something or can a parent have their pirate first?

I don't know about anyone else but I just created a pirate for my son and I have played on the Sage ocean for 3+ years so you are able to have your pirate first. As far as I can tell the link in the email is for parents that have not played Y!PP before.
My pirate is Stourmy on all english oceans except blue ones.

You have a an air of destiny about you. -Tia Dalma
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lovegodkid at Jul 12, 2009 5:58:30 PM]
[Jul 12, 2009 5:54:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I've seen several discussions pop up about alternatives for rum but I rather like not having to figure out how much and what sort to take.

However...

I have been taking my sloop out with a couple swabbies because I thoroughly enjoy solo duty nav, it is quite relaxing to me (except for that jarring discordant sound at the start of a new star meter.)

I've discovered that leaving the ship on pillaging rather than evading works better for me because then I can at least mostly fight barbarians when I get attacked (notice I didn't say IF, I've read all the discussions but that doesn't change the fact that I still can't manage to turn about in time.)

I don't buy any shot because I also cannot gun, especially while trying to nav. Interestingly enough, I actually win quite a few of the melees and have even gotten 2 expeditions.

The thing is, I feel like I am somehow exploiting something when I am making pretty good money without any additional investment beyond the ship, badges, and charts.

I don't really want an alternative to rum (even if rum sickness rumble is quite funny.) I'd rather see more NPPs available (you should be able to fully staff a ship with them if you want, but at the very least they should replace every player that leaves until someone else can be hired on.)

The key of course is that NPPs need to take their fair share of the booty. In fact, give them just a little more than their fair share so that it is more profitable to hire people (pull most of the extra from the restock or deed owner's share so jobbers are not paying for the swabbies.)

I've been asking to have swabbies available on the other oceans for a couple years now, but I honestly feel that it is going to be quite important here with a target audience that is less likely to be ably to commit to an entire pillage or even an entire battle. I am not just referring to kids here - when my nieces need me, I can't always tell them to wait until the battle is over.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 13, 2009 6:29:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

As usual, I agree with Pletoo. I would really love to be able to tell a bot to gun for me, even if I only got 1 or 2 shots per turn. If it's me and 3 bots, why can't one of those damned bots gun for me? I am not coordinated enough to gun and bnav... I can barely bnav as it is.
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Jul 13, 2009 8:01:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Not ocean feedback but rather forums...

Might I suggest that this forum be swapped with the game design forum, which would put it right up there between "New Player Forum" and TTQA. I've come across quite a few people who didn't even realize that this forum was here.

Also, I would recommend having it renamed to somehow include Crimson in the title, again because people don't realize it is there.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 13, 2009 10:17:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burnella

I'm wondering if there should be a better way for parents to control/monitor what their child is doing. In an earlier post, I noted that it may be handy if Parents could turn on or off chat for their kid pirates. That ability could require a link of sorts to a parent account. The purpose being to control whether the kids get chat or not and other game features.

In addition to chat, I have pondered how young kids would fare with trading and what sort of danger that feature is on a family ocean. I wouldn't suggest disabling trading, altogether, but maybe it can be disabled or approved trade-by-trade by parents.

Just standing in the inn or at the docks can be a dangerous thing for a kid's money pouch. Other pirates tend to walk up to you and beg or elicit trade requests without any warning. It can also be hard for the kids who have no concept of the value of items in the game to know if they're getting a good deal. DND can help a bit, however could there be one additional step on the Crimson Ocean (if the parent chooses)? Before a 'kid' pirate can trade (or give poez & dubs), items are held in a queue and an approval request is sent to the parent account. The next time the parent logs into one of his account's pirates, he gets a message that there are parental issues to deal with (just like when there are crew or flag issues a pirate needs to read & vote on).

Once again I have discovered this issue while my kids were playing. So far my younger one has given away dubs to a begger and traded away significant poez for an "old" hat he doesn't have rank to wear. This has been a very good learning experience for my little pirates, but I suspect many other parents will encounter these issues. In fact, it seems like OMs could face a support nightmare dealing with irate piratey-parents whose kid has been a victim of scams/beggers/etc.

Hope this helps in some way.
Arrrrr!

Snubnose on Viridian, Cobalt & Crimson
Arrmani on Hunter
[Jul 13, 2009 12:54:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Apparently persimmon enamel made it to the interface on the Furnishers. It's the only place I've seen it, but there are 2 people buying dockside.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 14, 2009 4:21:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I am sure it has been mentioned before, but just in case...

There is still a blockade tab on the noticeboard and the voyage configuration still has flotillas and sea monster hunts as options.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 14, 2009 4:42:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

My apologies, I'm sure its been mentioned before somewhere but I couldn't see it right away.. what is wrong with using fruit juice, or "pop" or something instead of rum? When you don't have any left, perhaps you come off your sugar high, which would have the same effect as being rumless?

~Ravy
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Jul 14, 2009 5:56:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

I'm currently incapable of /bug reporting on Crimson. Everytime I try it disconnects me. Using the Report a Bug button doesn't work either, because it freezes once I click the "The issue I am experiencing.." link.

Also, is it intentional for everyone to score Learning instead of Poor/Booched, or is this a bug? I've been getting some green Learning scores despite being on a 3-4 year old account and having a pink/yellow name.
Squee!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ynahteb at Jul 14, 2009 7:49:44 AM]
[Jul 14, 2009 7:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oceansadness

Also, is it intentional for everyone to score Learning instead of Poor/Booched, or is this a bug? I've been getting some green Learning scores despite being on a 3-4 year old account and having a pink/yellow name.

It appears to be intentional, Ynah. Non-green accounts do get (at least so far) learning instead of poor/booched in Crimson.
Sedna in Sage. Sedna/Seawaterdrop in Emerald

If it floats, shoot at it!
[Jul 14, 2009 8:32:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

My apologies, I'm sure its been mentioned before somewhere but I couldn't see it right away.. what is wrong with using fruit juice, or "pop" or something instead of rum? When you don't have any left, perhaps you come off your sugar high, which would have the same effect as being rumless?

~Ravy

ceph thought it would be simpler without rum/rum like products :)
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Jul 14, 2009 5:21:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
PoshJosh

Coming from a sub ocean, playing for 5 years now, and trying to learn doubloons, I must say that the most FRUSTRATING thing I tried to do was deliver an order I paid for and not having the doubloons to do it.

It makes absolutely no sense to me why I shouldn't be able to deliver my wardrobe. It's done. I paid for it. I worked at the stall to complete it, which cost me doubloons to allow me to do. WHY is it costing me doubloons I don't have? WHY should it cost me doubloons at all!

Non subs on Subscription oceans order things and get them delivered without having to PAY REAL MONEY to get them delivered.

And this encourages me to order more fake products, thereby stimulating the economy, how?
~just call me STUPID

"No, you're stupid because you can neither remember what you said, nor read the bit I quoted. You should just give up and sod off already."
Blobbles

[Jul 14, 2009 6:42:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Apparently persimmon enamel made it to the interface on the Furnishers. It's the only place I've seen it, but there are 2 people buying dockside.

Places that use enamel can post prices for persimmon. I suspect the same is true for cloth, but I don't have access to a shop/stall that has it (I checked my distillery on Midnight for the enamel bit).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 14, 2009 6:59:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

Coming from a sub ocean, playing for 5 years now, and trying to learn doubloons, I must say that the most FRUSTRATING thing I tried to do was deliver an order I paid for and not having the doubloons to do it.

It makes absolutely no sense to me why I shouldn't be able to deliver my wardrobe. It's done. I paid for it. I worked at the stall to complete it, which cost me doubloons to allow me to do. WHY is it costing me doubloons I don't have? WHY should it cost me doubloons at all!

Non subs on Subscription oceans order things and get them delivered without having to PAY REAL MONEY to get them delivered.

And this encourages me to order more fake products, thereby stimulating the economy, how?

The transition from blue to green oceans is difficult for most of us pirates who've played exclusively on blue oceans for years. Others have suggested that the next red ocean be either another blue ocean or that there be some type of family subscription. If you have constructive additions to these ideas perhaps you should share them... I've put links below.

Family Sub Idea

2 Changes regarding doubloons/PoE

P.S. You can also buy dubs with poe via the exchange, you don't have to use real money for each transaction. It's easiest to just go to a bank or palace and click on the cash box.
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Jul 14, 2009 7:10:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PoshJosh

Thanks for the links, Stabatha, and my apologies for the tone of my post, I was venting and already in a bad mood. I'll edit and add to the existing threads.

P.S. You can also buy dubs with poe via the exchange, you don't have to use real money for each transaction. It's easiest to just go to a bank or palace and click on the cash box.

yes, I knew about this as well, but IMO it just adds to the overall price of the product as well as adding more hoops to jump through, and again, there is nothing on sub oceans that I'm aware of that compares to this unique feature on Doubloon Oceans. I thought that the idea behind doubloons was to enable people to pick and choose what features to spend money on that full subscribers paid for to use. Non subscribers on Sub oceans do not need to pay extra to deliver an item they've ordered. The only restriction on some items is that they must be an officer or shop/stall owner/manager to deliver. I don't understand the necessity of doubloons to be able to deliver a product that doesn't require you to be an officer or a manager/owner in order to use.
~just call me STUPID

"No, you're stupid because you can neither remember what you said, nor read the bit I quoted. You should just give up and sod off already."
Blobbles

[Jul 14, 2009 8:00:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Thanks for the links, Stabatha, and my apologies for the tone of my post, I was venting and already in a bad mood. I'll edit and add to the existing threads.

yes, I knew about this as well, but IMO it just adds to the overall price of the product as well as adding more hoops to jump through, and again, there is nothing on sub oceans that I'm aware of that compares to this unique feature on Doubloon Oceans. I thought that the idea behind doubloons was to enable people to pick and choose what features to spend money on that full subscribers paid for to use. Non subscribers on Sub oceans do not need to pay extra to deliver an item they've ordered. The only restriction on some items is that they must be an officer or shop/stall owner/manager to deliver. I don't understand the necessity of doubloons to be able to deliver a product that doesn't require you to be an officer or a manager/owner in order to use.

As a not currently subscribed person on Midnight, I can go in and order and deliver a full outfit that I can't actually wear (Requires being subscribed) Doubloon model doesn't have that. Captain's Hats and Crowns as far as I can remember are the only things with a restriction on wearing.

If they took away the doubloon cost from EVERYTHING that you can buy that you don't need to be an officer/manager/owner to deliver, there would be doubloon costs on..... Paint. That's it. Paint doesn't get used enough to justify that.

Non subscribers on subscriber oceans get a message when ordering something they can't use without a subscription though, it doesn't seem to STOP them from doing it and they end up with stuff they've paid for but can't use.

Considering that I *personally* don't think that the largest part of the target audience for Crimson is going to be playing daily, enough to make a subscription work, I completely understand why it's a doubloon ocean. As a parent I'm more likely to pay for tokens that won't decay so that my child can play when he feels like picking up the game instead of time every month that he's going to use maybe 5 hours of.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 14, 2009 10:03:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PoshJosh

If they took away the doubloon cost from EVERYTHING that you can buy that you don't need to be an officer/manager/owner to deliver, there would be doubloon costs on..... Paint. That's it. Paint doesn't get used enough to justify that..
Don't forget ships, enamel, dyes, cloth, subscriber swords, subscriber clothing, cannonballs... there's a lot on subscriber oceans that's undeliverable unless you have a ship or stall.

Non subscribes on subscriber oceans get a message when ordering something they can't use without a subscription though, it doesn't seem to STOP them from doing it and they end up with stuff they've paid for but can't use.

ok, but paying for stuff and getting it delivered on a sub ocean, at least you HAVE it, and might resell or give it away. I buy male clothes all the time to give as gifts. I pay for it, i pick it up, i give it away.
What's to stop my child from ordering products on a doubloon ocean that may never be delivered and they will end up belonging to... the stall owner because they don't have enough doubloons to pick them up? I know my kids might forget to pick up stuff anyway. I've run stalls, I know things get abandoned. That's a separate issue.
My kids like to shop and they'll buy all kinds of crazy things, but I'd like it to be theirs once they've purchased it.
I just don't like the fact you need doubloons to deliver a product you've paid for in advance with poes you took time to earn.

So maybe the solution is to include the delivery cost of doubloons in the purchase up front, if it's so impossible to remove the cost of doubloons on delivery altogether. I still don't like it, but it would solve the problem I have of buying something and not being able to have it. If I really want it, I better have the doubloons already.
~just call me STUPID

Blobbles

[Jul 14, 2009 11:43:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Don't forget ships, enamel, dyes, cloth, subscriber swords, subscriber clothing, cannonballs... there's a lot on subscriber oceans that's undeliverable unless you have a ship or stall.

But you don't need to be a subscriber to own a ship or a stall. Enamels, dyes, cloth, and cannonballs already have no doubloon delivery charge. Subscriber swords and clothing don't require a ship or building to deliver, but are unusable.

What's to stop my child from ordering products on a doubloon ocean that may never be delivered and they will end up belonging to... the stall owner because they don't have enough doubloons to pick them up?

Perhaps a simple sqawk warning box "Avast. Ye currently don't have enough doubloons to deliver this product, are ye sure ye want to order it?"
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fiddler at Jul 15, 2009 12:11:26 AM]
[Jul 14, 2009 11:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 245   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates