• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5194 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
tw11st38r

Kidnapping, Stealing, and other unsavory acts... Reply to this Post

It might be fun to add an element of darkness to the game...

Stealing - Maybe I can walk up to a person, or eventually their homes, and steal a portion of their poe, or treasure. Perhaps another game of skill... if I win, i get to take something, if I lose, I get fined/clapped in irons?

Kidnapping - Some form of ransom? Either with PPs themselves... Their familiars? Their property? (Obtaining these items similar to above).

Sabotage - Maybe another crew has gotten me really mad, and I want to bore a hole in their ship's hull, or their sails/homes, etc?

Nothing horribly detrimental, but fun little evil deeds?

Blackdeath
[Mar 24, 2003 3:19:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Re: Kidnapping, Stealing, and other unsavory acts... Reply to this Post

Har, you and Spleen should get together.
----------------------------------------
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Mar 24, 2003 3:34:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Eh, I don't know. If I didn't have that much time to play, I think I'd be pretty angry to log in after a week's absence to find that my house had been robbed repeatedly by somebody who'd mastered the puzzle. I prefer an environment that is safe for those who aren't as immersed.

The sabotage thing has some merit, if only because it's 100% fixable with carpentry, so no permanent harm or setback is accomplished. It's a sneaky thing to do, and puzzle failure should probably result in a fine payable to the crew's purse, along with notification of who did it. Maybe only possible between crews at war, just to keep it from getting out of hand.

Actually, the home robbery thing is a possibility, since real estate seems like it will be at a premium eventually (since anyone will be able to get rich). A way to keep ownership down is to force people to maintain their houses (maybe a little too like real life) . . . do a carpentry-type puzzle once a week or so, or your house gets progressively more rob-able. Get robbed enough, and ye won't be able to pay for upkeep (which there probably should be, to keep money flowing).
[Mar 24, 2003 3:47:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

Or personal robbery... pickpocketing.

Or robbing businesses... all would be fun!

Blackdeath
[Mar 24, 2003 4:52:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

I think these things are doable and can be fun without totally obliterating another player's empire.

If someone is pickpocketing you, if they screw up, you catch them. Turn and swordfight with a SIGNIFICANT advantage (say 50 % of the screen full of bricks) as a deterrent.

Perhaps if you're oneline and someone is trying to rob your property, maybe you get sent an alert. THen you can hi-tail it back there to defend it. Maybe you can set booby-traps to protect your property? Think "GOONIES" type of rube-goldberg (sp), tripwire, kind of defenses.

To your first point, if property is at a premium, only the regular players are going to have it.

And you'd certainly want to make any crime a risk... It can't be too easy, there has to be an element of punishment... a fine, some kind of "imprisonment", etc.

Blackdeath
[Mar 24, 2003 5:12:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Thievery Reply to this Post

The balancing issues of thievery are evil and enormous. As Homullus points out, this game is intended to be fun for both casual and determined players. Certainly you've noticed that you can't fight just anybody. You have to "challenge" another player and that player has to agree. This is for a reason. We want to keep the player-to-player (not necessarily character-to-character) interactions friendly, and keep the towns a safe place to congregate.
This all ties in to one of the larger issues of the game. It is very important that players' property be safe when neutral. Player property only becomes vulnerable through the direct activity of the player. Players who wager know the risk. Players who fight skeletons know the risks. Players who sail know the risks. There should be no risk in standing and talking and certainly no risk in logging off.

Those things being said, there are some things we're cooking up that may satisfy your cravings. One is the Adventure Islands, where all sorts of misdeeds can be committed, all in the furthering of the Adventure. Another possibility could be special land PvP areas (like "bad neighborhoods"). The third, and possibly most relevant possibility will be revealed in the future...

-Nemo
[Mar 24, 2003 5:15:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Ooh, bad neighborhoods! (Will there be special shops for tarting myself up?)
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Mar 24, 2003 6:56:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Kidnapping Reply to this Post

Ramirez and Shy Liz aside, I think that kidnapping might be an interesting mechanic to include. Take over a trade ship, raid the commodities, and, lo!, an NPP! Perhaps Strong Kari's weak husband has been kidnapped, and, if you rescue him and take him back to Alpha, she'll repay you. Perhaps the poor kidnapped soul comes from far-off Antipodal Island, and he'll help steer your boat to his home, letting you chart a new course.
[Mar 24, 2003 8:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

Brilliant!

I like the idea of NPPs having missions to send us on. More than a job, etc.

Bringing in little adventures is great! Heck, maybe I kidnapped her husband. Now Akebia gets the pay, and I get the ransom. Akebia could PAY me for him, or fight me.

Blackdeath
[Mar 24, 2003 9:20:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Adventure Islands Reply to this Post

Yes, yes. All of this would be in the "Adventure Island" category of activities under the heading "Adventure Hook".
[Mar 24, 2003 9:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Re: Adventure Islands Reply to this Post

Bump (See, I searched)

Alec1000 wrote: 
I kinda vote nay fer a prison where banned players go. But a prison fer an adventure island could be posible. I really have faith that a prison would be perfect fer an adventure island!
Where navy vessels sail around looking fer ships and we can't work fer the navy.

Nice idea. So for a "prison breakout" game, what would we try to do? Manuver around on a game board, using walls to avoid the guards, while guards are looking for us?

Ohh -- and if we do run into them, we have to defeat them in a puzzle -- either knock them out with swords, knock them out with fists, or drink them under the table.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jul 24, 2006 2:43:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Grayside

Yohoho! Pacman Pirates
Firestone, Captain, Mad Tea Party, Cobalt
Gallant, PotD, Midnight

[Jul 24, 2006 2:53:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grayside.org/ypp/mayhem    Tires.Pirate [Link]  Go to top 
foudetimbres

We already have a puzzle called stealing, succeed or fail, if you get caught you get banned, what more do you want?
Dirtyfoot
Senior Officer of the British Eagles

Eurydice wrote: 
Hee! I like that Glaucus was forced to take the name "Glaucus" because that was the sound you made in your throat before spitting the winning gum.

[Jul 24, 2006 3:37:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

what more do you want?

A fun stylised version of stealing, where nothing gets taken from other humans, perhaps involving dastardly people in black and white striped shirts, and big bags with dollar signs on them.
[Jul 24, 2006 3:38:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SccrAlex12

AHH I can see it now "Go Pickpocketing with the Navy" or "Go Sabotaging with the Navy"
----------------------------
Sccalex-Hunter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SccrAlex12 at Jul 24, 2006 4:38:38 PM]
[Jul 24, 2006 4:37:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates