• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 43
Posts: 43   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5987 times and has 42 replies Next Thread
Shetara_1998

Ideas for crafting puzzles

I couldn't find a page that was devoted to this so I decided to create one. I really can't wait for another crafting puzzle so I thought if I threw out some ideas that maybe we might get one sooner.
My main ideas are for the weaving puzzle. One idea was that it could be similar to bilging but you could have bigger groups. So you would group like twelve red circles or whatever and then click them and they would disapear. The bigger the number you grouped the more points you would get. It could get harder by having the pieces either drop faster or have the groupings get harder.
Another idea was that you could have rows of pieces that you have to rearrage into a pattern, sort of similar to distillery but more specific.
A third idea would be to have it sort of like a mixed up puzzle that you have to rearrange the pieces.
Well those are my ideas for now.
[Aug 10, 2004 1:29:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zedex

Re: Ideas for crafting puzzles

Shetara_1998 wrote: 
One idea was that it could be similar to bilging but you could have bigger groups. So you would group like twelve red circles or whatever and then click them and they would disapear. The bigger the number you grouped the more points you would get. It could get harder by having the pieces either drop faster or have the groupings get harder.

There are any number of similar games on the Web, and the Ringers have stated future puzzle ideas must be original. I believe the word used was "staggeringly" original.

Another idea was that you could have rows of pieces that you have to rearrage into a pattern, sort of similar to distillery but more specific.

Um... I'm not sure how specific that idea really is. Seems a bit vague to comment on, sorry.

A third idea would be to have it sort of like a mixed up puzzle that you have to rearrange the pieces.

One of the Ringers has stated he absolutely hates slider puzzles, and I can't say I blame him. At the very least, it seems slider puzzles are not being considered as puzzle concepts. (That bit about originality would apply here as well.)
----------------------------------------
Greetings from VUX! The last word in life form destruction!
To gain an intimate knowledge of our engines of war,
simply place both hands over your eyes and count to three.

(I post as Blackguard now.)
[Aug 10, 2004 2:52:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    zedexguy [Link]  Go to top 
Shetara_1998

Um... I'm not sure how specific that idea really is. Seems a bit vague to comment on, sorry.

well for example, say the puzzle dropped four red squars, to green circles, one blue diamand
you would have to arrange the pieces so they would fall into the pattern squares at the bottom. the pattern would be a shadow of the real peice that is supposed to go there. When a line is completed the next line of the pattern would appear. When a full pattern was done you would start over.
[Aug 10, 2004 7:11:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

zedex wrote: 

One of the Ringers has stated he absolutely hates slider puzzles, and I can't say I blame him. At the very least, it seems slider puzzles are not being considered as puzzle concepts. (That bit about originality would apply here as well.)

Additionally, slider puzzles can't be used because of the ease through which a computer program can solve them.
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Aug 10, 2004 7:55:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jack_o_Reef

In order to come up with a new puzzle it has to fit the puzzle pirate mold, specifically that it has to be timed, it has to be rateable (meaning there are ways of being better at it than others), and it has to have the ability to make combos (double, triple, bogey, eagle ya know combos)

So in that light, I can see why a slider puzzle would be out. There is only one solution, and it's just a matter of time before you solve it, but no real timing involved in the solution. And there is no way to get combos in it.

I know they want something very new and spectacularly different than most puzzles out there, which is a difficult task to say the least. So in my attempts to approach that ideal my mind will use other puzzles as leap pads.

Most recent Idea: If you have ever played the bartender game then think of it. Patrons walk slowly down a series of bars, you the bartender must pour up drinks and shoot them down the ramp, the patron will drink the mug, and will either disapear whilst drinking it, or finish it, send the mug back, and want another.

We'll abstract out the concept of the bartender and the patrons to a crafting puzzle. Say we'll do the weaving puzzle. You are the weaver, and each of the "Bars" are threads on the loom. In the begining the threads will start out in two colors. On the left hand side of the screen is the cloth that you are making, it will have a silloette (sorry can't spell) of the pattern that you are trying to make. (think like the nav puzzle where it will show you what areas need to be what colors)

The threads will slowly make their way towards you down the loom. You will have the ability to send the thread into the puzzle to lay the thread across the weave by marking the end of the loom line. When the thread reaches your mark it will shoot across the weave, or let it fall unused by not marking that point. First puzzles will be easy, say a row of red a row of blue then a row of red. Just wait for the right ones to come down one of the looms and send it into the weave.

The you can step it up some, maybe even make it so that there are two sides of the loom that are sending threads down the line, so you can do some crossing patterns and other niceties on the high end of the puzzle.
I'll see if I can do some sort of ascii graphic here to illustrate.

Pattern to Make:
----red-------
----red-------
----red-------
----blue------
----blue------
----blue------

Board:

|__|__|__|__|

xxxxxxxxxxx ---------

xxxxxxxxxxx ---------

xxxxxxxxxxx ---------

xxxxxxxxxxx ---------

xxxxxxxxxxx ---------
[Aug 11, 2004 7:04:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shetara_1998

I love that idea. I hope one of the designers see it and make a comment. I guesse I am too impatient, I know it isn't easy to develope all this stuff but it seems like it has been forever since anyehting other than a piece or two of clothes has been added.
[Sep 27, 2004 11:13:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

This could be a fun weaving arcade game, but it really isn't a puzzle.

And the time element is actually backward in your summation of our puzzle ideals. We'd actually prefer crafting puzzles to have no time restriction. Time factors make puzzle games more arcadey. This isn't necessarily bad, but with most of the "action" puzzle having a timing element, we'd like the crafting puzzles to be more relaxed.
[Sep 28, 2004 1:34:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Odm

I find it rather ironic that Nemo wants crafting puzzles to be relaxing when I'm always frantically trying to make crystal clears in distilling as fast as possible...

} //end slightly off-topic post
Whirligig, Not-so-active-officer of the Scuppering Seven Seas, Viridian
Drusilla wrote: 
Dionysus:Shore Leave :: Scupperer:Cnossos

[Sep 28, 2004 2:24:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Odm wrote: 
I find it rather ironic that Nemo wants crafting puzzles to be relaxing when I'm always frantically trying to make crystal clears in distilling as fast as possible...

I like distilling a lot, but it clearly did not meet the "no timer" ideal. The new puzzle has no time element at all.
[Sep 28, 2004 6:32:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

CursedBurger wrote: 

Additionally, slider puzzles can't be used because of the ease through which a computer program can solve them.

Ok, I've thought this every time I've read this, and I'll say it out loud, just this once, to get it out of my system.

[size=18]WHO IS THIS LAME?!!!!

I mean, seriously.. Why the heck would you *CHEAT* at a game like this, it isn't even playing if your cheating, its like watchin' a bloody movie and then claiming credit for WRITING it.. YEESH..

*done*

thank you.
http://www.maghtuireadh.org/
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Manannan%27s_Seawolves

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
--------------------------------------------
"It's the damn of a new era!" - Pyn
[Sep 28, 2004 7:40:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Nemo wrote: 
Odm wrote: 

I like distilling a lot, but it clearly did not meet the "no timer" ideal. The new puzzle has no time element at all.

What new puzzle? We're not changing distilling are we? I've just gotten *GOOD* at it!! O.O

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Sep 28, 2004 7:49:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

No, mate: new puzzle, as in, for a different crafting activity.
[Sep 28, 2004 7:56:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Nemo wrote: 
No, mate: new puzzle, as in, for a different crafting activity.

*Breathes a sigh of relief*
Oh good.

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Sep 28, 2004 8:00:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Boo.

PLEASE. change distilling. It's not fun. Really.

Maybe if my comptuer was faster. But I get a drag-lag at least once per session.

I've seen some of those videos. My comptuer cannot drag that fast. It's as bad as the SF effect of a slow computer.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 29, 2004 10:04:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
zedex

BehindCurtai wrote: 

Maybe if my comptuer was faster. But I get a drag-lag at least once per session.

So let's change it for everyone!

Noone's forcing you to distill, mate.
Greetings from VUX! The last word in life form destruction!
To gain an intimate knowledge of our engines of war,
simply place both hands over your eyes and count to three.

(I post as Blackguard now.)
[Sep 29, 2004 11:11:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    zedexguy [Link]  Go to top 
Ruthful_Ruth

BehindCurtai wrote: 
Boo.

I've seen some of those videos. My comptuer cannot drag that fast. It's as bad as the SF effect of a slow computer.

Yay.

Please DO NOT change distilling. It is fun. Really.

The puzzle itself isn't broken, even if someone's computer doesn't handle it perfectly. I find lots of drag-lag, but it's primarily when the puzzle is moving a column--part of the game. I still can get CC^8 and even CC^9 on my inadequate computer. I'm going for CC^10 next. I started out struggling to get most columns sent up as CC^1.
[Sep 29, 2004 11:16:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruthful_Ruth

Back to the topic, is it possible that some puzzle even if it's not amazingly unique would be better than no puzzle? And of course, the unoriginal puzzles could eventually be replaced by more original puzzles. In many cases, I'd just be happy to have something rather than nothing, with hopes for improvements later.
[Sep 29, 2004 11:25:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

I would think that changing a puzzle mid game would be a Bad Thing (tm).

Seriously, you would have to revamp the ratings, etc, and in the meantime one whole aspect of the economy can't produce like it used to.
Markozeta
[Sep 29, 2004 11:28:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
TJanssen

Nemo wrote: 
Odm wrote: 

A bit wrong there Nemo, for as I recall, if you do the puzzles aboard a ship very slowly, you wont get high rating.
examples:
Carp : You take your time looking where any puzzle piece might fit best, I'm sure your rating will be Good or lower.
Bilge : Take your time to create combo's and you will get a low rating.
Guns : You have legendary, if you take too long to get the guns full, pieces will slow down, and your rating will decrease. It's all about time.

As a matter of fact, every puzzle has it's time-relativity, for if you dont do things in time(move pieces in Nav when you're nearing full, another example) then you will usualy booch the puzzle. I myself'd enjoy to see this rather spectacular puzzle into Y!PP for it sounds like a real mind game, where rather than on speed, you'd have to PLAN which pieces to put where. It'd be a truely original idea in the Puzzle Pirates Puzzle concept.
Please think it over Dev Team, I'd really like some refreshing puzzles in Puzzle Pirates, it really isnt arcade-ish, it's a puzzle, as you really have to think about your moves.(slightly comparable with Nav, where you also have to plan wich spots to keep open for certain pieces to finish constelations)

-=- Silverhawk
Jjin, [Cobalt, Midnight, Viridian, Hunter]

What the hell happened?
[Sep 29, 2004 5:11:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

The "No Timer" ideal is in place only for future crafting puzzles.
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Sep 29, 2004 7:12:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

CursedBurger wrote: 
The "No Timer" ideal is in place only for future crafting puzzles.

Exactly. What Silverhawk mentions is precisely why we'd like untimed crafting puzzles: because we couldn't put them in duty slots.
[Sep 30, 2004 1:18:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meteus

I'm glad to hear that the new puzzle will have no time restriction. I like distilling, but right now, the only reason I can't consistently get CC^12s is because I can't shift the pieces around fast enough.
Metheus

What I'm looking for are Adventure Islands
[Sep 30, 2004 1:24:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daplunderer

I have the begginings of a tailor idea to add:

Ok, you start with a board, and you have a certain amount of colors (4 or 5? Scaling? This would have to be worked out) In addition, you have some pieces that are just holes- these need to be filled in.

At the top, you have your cloth. The cloth is distributed amoung the colors, and you have lets say 10 pieces at any time. Whenever you use a piece, a new one is randomly added to your stock.

The point is to use cloth to fill in the wholes such that the colors match up into 4's in a row. When this happens, the row or column is cleared, and the peices rush in to fill it. If its a vertical clear, they come in from the top. If horizontal, from the sides.

On the board, there are certain patterns that you try to move the pieces into by clearing in such a manner. You get points for completing patterns, and a small amount for clearing rows. You are scored based on effeciency and combos. After a certain amount of patterns are completed, the puzzle is over.

I'm also thinking possibly a scissor piece or a stich piece that can be used in some way.

The size of the board and the amount of holes could be determined. If somebody could help me with pictures, I'd appreciate it.

This idea is not quite complete, seems like it needs tweaking, but I like the general idea.
Zangor on Midnight Ocean.
[Sep 30, 2004 10:00:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/blog/nickchurch [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Seamusmclir wrote: 
CursedBurger wrote: 

Ok, I've thought this every time I've read this, and I'll say it out loud, just this once, to get it out of my system.

[size=18]WHO IS THIS LAME?!!!!

I mean, seriously.. Why the heck would you *CHEAT* at a game like this, it isn't even playing if your cheating, its like watchin' a bloody movie and then claiming credit for WRITING it.. YEESH..

*done*

thank you.

No game is ever cheater free. And I've heard of cases of some people doing it here, though I believe everyone who was caught got banned.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Sep 30, 2004 11:13:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Thunderbird wrote: 

No game is ever cheater free. And I've heard of cases of some people doing it here, though I believe everyone who was caught got banned.

I know I know.. That doesn't make it any better though, I don't understand why anyone would do anything this blaringly STUPID.

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Sep 30, 2004 11:22:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Tsukino_Rei

What about one of those jumbled tile puzzles that you slide the peices around on to make a picture? That might be good for a tailor? Or even Shipwright.

The game of Memory is sort of puzzleish. Where you flip tiles and they flip back over and you have to try to match the tiles from memory? That could be good for an apothecary, matching herbs and ore combo's?
[Sep 30, 2004 11:22:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Your first idea is a slider puzzle *points to previous posts in thread* which is a big no-no.

Memory is a decent game but the term 'staggeringly original' has been used here.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Sep 30, 2004 11:31:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TJanssen

I'm not being any sort of insultive, but isnt this the IDEA topic? where you bring out your ideas?
Dub, you might have fun making conclusions about them, but as far as I know, this topic is for thinking up ideas, not critisizing them, think of this,
it's wether the dev's like the idea, will they use it, if they will, they'll say that, and if they wont, they'll say the wont....but I'm a bit curious about what you are doing in this "puzzle-Picking" process, as it's not your duty to, and all you're being good for is scaring people away that MIGHT have good ideas, but wont post it because they'll expect some critics from someone that shouldnt.
Also, this is not a personal attack, but a statement of, lay off of those thinking of SOMETHING, instead of trying to filter through ideas...

-=- Silverhawk
Jjin, [Cobalt, Midnight, Viridian, Hunter]

What the hell happened?
[Sep 30, 2004 11:43:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

It's more of a reminder.

zedex wrote:

Reread my post (and through the whole thread) and see if I've made any improper conclusions/criticisms at all. All I've done is state the fact that the devs do not want slider puzzles and that they prefer 'staggeringly original' puzzles. Never did I claim that I was the one passing judgement on whether a puzzle is good or not and if it will be in the game.

If every third person comes in here suggesting a slider puzzle or a puzzle available from Popcap, it makes this thread even more useless. You're being too hasty in replying and reading too much into a standard posting.

Derailing aside, rereading Tsukino_Rei's idea for memory, try incorporating Memory with other game mechanics. A pure memory game is not original enough, but if it involves other puzzling concepts, you may get an interesting crafting puzzle.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Oct 1, 2004 12:01:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

A pure memory or pure slider game is not only not original enough, but it has no depth. A good bilger is always thinking about how this clear will impact the next clear. A good duelist is always thinking several pieces ahead in his strategy, and has contingent plans for probable strikes. A good sailor is always figuring our ways to make as large a chain as possible with the pieces available, as quickly as he can.
A good slider-puzzler just knows how to slide the pieces and then does so mechanically until the picture is revealed. A good memory player just has a good memory and chooses cards at random until they match cards he's already revealed. There is no depth.
Both examples also have no scoring spread. You either did it or you didn't. Duty and crafting puzzles require a scoring distribution, because it is your placement within it that determines the puzzle's effect.

I make these points not to pick on anyone, but to more clearly illustrate what constitutes a usable puzzle idea.
[Oct 1, 2004 1:05:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 43   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates