• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 267
Posts: 267   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 51446 times and has 266 replies Next Thread
sweetnessc

Riddle me this. Reply to this Post

Why is the very first familiar ever given out for rigging, given out for the top Fine? Does OOO have a hate-on for skilled puzzlers? Why does Y!PP tell me every time it updates my client that it's all based your skill at puzzling, yet at least half the time the best prizes given for non-carousing puzzles are given for the crappiest performances?

And no, this ain't sour grapes, my personal rigging skill is Neophyte/Distinguished.
----------------------------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 2, 2009 9:23:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Re: Riddle me this. Reply to this Post

Seriously, what are you people thinking? Your brains aren't working.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 2, 2009 9:37:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

I actually agree with the protests on this one.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[May 2, 2009 10:00:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I will just say, that I am tempted to not resubscribe after today.

At least for a month.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[May 2, 2009 10:08:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Where shall we riot, and what shall we wear? Alpha docks mayhaps? They do that on other games, it doesn't seem very Y!PPish though.

Edit: The name of the crewflag I'm in on Midnight is convenient for this purpose. Go figure..
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Inschato at May 2, 2009 10:24:13 PM]
[May 2, 2009 10:09:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slimbutt

Why not the top fine?
It keeps the same people from winning all the fams.
I don't have this opinion because it gives me a chance of winning; I have no chance cause I never enter those competitions.
My opinion is fams are overrated anyway.
Want to make an easy 20K?
Pwn /fw Blood in the Water in PVP.
Post a screenshot of the start of the SF in any Hunter Parley thread.
[May 2, 2009 10:20:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Top fine = Luck.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[May 2, 2009 10:22:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Why not the top fine?
I don't have this opinion because it gives me a chance of winning; I have no chance cause I never enter those competitions.
My opinion is fams are overrated anyway.

Currently, I really want a familiar. If they continue to hand them out for unskilled play, I will no longer see any merit in having one, it won't show I have any skill, it will just say I got lucky. They might be overrated, but that's no reason to make them even worse.
[May 2, 2009 10:22:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

First off, this is a terrible, awful argument to begin with, but it is especially bad considering this was the first familiar to ever be given out for rigging.

Are you dense or something?
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 2, 2009 10:27:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Are you dense or something?

Lets try to keep this on topic, it doesn't need to degrade into another slim bashing thread.
[May 2, 2009 10:29:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slimbutt

Currently, I really want a familiar. If they continue to hand them out for unskilled play, I will no longer see any merit in having one, it won't show I have any skill, it will just say I got lucky. They might be overrated, but that's no reason to make them even worse.

Read Doyle Brunsons Super System, Theory of Poker and Hold'em for Advanced Players.
Then play poker and buy the complete set of familiars.

Will that show pirate skill?

Or;
Enter a bake-off where the best perfomance wins. You might 'get lucky' and the top 5 on that puzzle list won't enter that day.
[May 2, 2009 11:11:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

For all of us who encourage others to improve, who take the time to give people tips and who attempt to inspire others to be the best that they can, this competition was appalling. A familiar for sucking at a puzzle goes against everything that we try to do. It is hard enough to battle the lazing mentality where people can get paid for not working on a ship without having poor performance rewarded.

The timing of the competitions was truly awful. Pity the flags who were involved in blockades at the time and had their riggers do as poorly as they could.

I sent a tell to Oceanus when the competition was announced and was told that the derby warranted there being a familiar for fine. wtf? what derby? This is an international game and some real life event in Kentucky (which a friend told me it referred to) is irrelevant for a large number of players.
If a bird looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a Huntard .
[May 2, 2009 11:12:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slimbutt

I do agree that the first familiar given out for a new puzzle should go to the top score.

Duckling; Kentucky Derby?
Maybe I'm the boof here but I thought anyone who knew what a horse was had heard of the Derby.
[May 2, 2009 11:18:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Read Doyle Brunsons Super System, Theory of Poker and Hold'em for Advanced Players.
Then play poker and buy the complete set of familiars.

Will that show pirate skill?

Or;
Enter a bake-off where the best perfomance wins. You might 'get lucky' and the top 5 on that puzzle list won't enter that day.

I would like to point out that it's not usually the top 5 that win for overall, I am #2 and placed 6th in the relevant competition, I was #2 in bilge for a long time and the best I ever did was 2nd place, losing to an able alt. Also, the poker problem is entirely another issue.
[May 2, 2009 11:20:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

I sent a tell to Oceanus when the competition was announced and was told that the derby warranted there being a familiar for fine. wtf? what derby? This is an international game and some real life event in Kentucky (which a friend told me it referred to) is irrelevant for a large number of players.

To be fair, a lot of the events in this game are made with reference to only US things. However, the name (which was the name of the horse that won, apparently) is where the similarity ends. The horse that won overcame big odds against it, came from last place, to win by a decent margin. It got first. It did the best, incredible if you will. I fail to see how that relates to getting a fine. If the horse had done fine, it would not have won. >_>
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[May 2, 2009 11:21:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ironguts

The name of the horse and the competition was "Mine that bird".

You had to dig deep to get the parrot. I thought it was amusing.
Ironguts
Cerulean - Plunder Inc.
Something of Boochin' Katfish
[May 2, 2009 11:28:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.boochinkatfish.net [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

So one familiar was thrown to the masses rather then the most skilled in the land...... so what? More familiars are bought then given out like this, if they arnt already seen as not won through skill i doubt this will push it over the edge.
Nunny
[May 2, 2009 11:36:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

So one familiar was thrown to the masses rather then the most skilled in the land...... so what? More familiars are bought then given out like this, if they arnt already seen as not won through skill i doubt this will push it over the edge.

It's not really about the quantity or the quality(tan vs color), it's about the precedent it sets.

I will quote from the YPPedia page for Familiar:

It's very hard to get a familiar, due to the fierce competition that familiar prizes incite.

This one wasn't exactly very hard, unless you consider winning the lottery "hard"
[May 2, 2009 11:39:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

Does anyone understand what a matter of principle is?
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[May 2, 2009 11:51:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Does anyone understand what a matter of principle is?

Montag, something I learnt the hard way: High expectations leads you to big disappointments.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 

[May 3, 2009 12:01:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

[nitpick] I'm Montage, not Montag. We have quite different posting styles [/nitpick]

Yes Q, you are right. I will constantly be disappointed, but I will also constantly try to lift people up to a higher standard.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[May 3, 2009 12:08:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

This one wasn't exactly very hard, unless you consider winning the lottery "hard"

You could argue that it is hard to get the highest fine without going over. It has its tactics and strategy's to get as close as possible. Unless ive missunderstood how these things work it has as much chance of going to someone who randomly got on the station and pulled the top fine as if someone got on the station and got the top incred.
Nunny
[May 3, 2009 2:17:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

You could argue that it is hard to get the highest fine without going over. It has its tactics and strategy's to get as close as possible. Unless ive missunderstood how these things work it has as much chance of going to someone who randomly got on the station and pulled the top fine as if someone got on the station and got the top incred.

The argument isn't that it has as much chance, it's that fams are given out for sucking at all. Didn't we have enough of this with the egg comps?
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[May 3, 2009 2:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdorOfFrodo

THE END IS NIGH!

ALL MUST REPENT!
Ecavatar by Ecastasy!
Talisker wrote: 
Obviously this calls for dressing up as Karl Marx.

[May 3, 2009 3:10:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

It all began with random familiars given away in Atlantis.

Wake me up when the nightmare is over.
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[May 3, 2009 3:30:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

I wish they'd start giving away newly-built inns on newly-opened islands as prizes for top Fines in duty puzzles.

This thread in itself is comedy gold, but that one would just be the icing on the cake :D

Get over it people.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[May 3, 2009 5:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

While I do think it's kind of lame for the first familiar given out for that puzzle to be awarded for poor scoring, it's been done before. I remember right after I started playing there was a booched bilge bakeoff wherein you had to score the highest "booched" to win.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[May 3, 2009 9:02:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

No crime has been committed. I found the competition amusing when I found out that it related to a real life event.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[May 3, 2009 9:13:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
love75

I found this to be rather odd indeed, but I have no objections to it either, maybe they felt like being generous and actually wanted a big turn out for the competion, the Fam as the ( Best Fine ) prize surely would have made that happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like It, Learn It, Love It
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tluv of Sage
Queen to the Flag Unforsaken
Captain to the crew Death Row
[May 3, 2009 10:05:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sagepiratechica@gmail.com [Link]  Go to top 
SkyBlitz

Sort of off topic/a response to a previous post...

The Kentucky Derby is actually one of the most well-known sporting events in the world. Sure, it takes place in the U.S. every year, but that doesn't make it any less relevant. The Tour De France holds the same location every year, but people know what that is :)
Tempestblitz

Anchovia tells ye, "I don't know who the last one is, too many Brits on there."

[May 3, 2009 10:12:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 267   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates