• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3866 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
mlk

The Race Reply to this Post

After reading this thread, I think setting up a race would be cool.
If I was to set it up, who would be interested in participating, and who would like to help to referee it.

As many of the funky features discussed on that thread would not be possible I think a simple from one Inn to another would do to start with. First captain through the doorway wins.

I?m guessing you would need one referee per contestant to job* on the ship, to make sure no one cheats and jumps ship and whisks to the target inn, plus one in the starting Inn to say Go, and to whisk to the final Inn.

I?m just after numbers at the moment, so if you are interested, have any questions, or want to help referee post.

* But not help in any way.
----------------------------------------
Quartermaster Bates of Mog's Marauders
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 3, 2003 2:30:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

moderator hat, DISengage! Reply to this Post

Something tells me this isn't in the right forum. I can't move it though.

Edit: And here I thought I had some real ability to abuse power! Hanzii, I'll take that challenge <grin>
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gotagota at Sep 3, 2003 3:27:27 PM]
[Sep 3, 2003 3:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Re: The Race Reply to this Post

I can!

Which makes me a better moderator than you. Woohoo!
Challenge me to a drinking contest and we can fight over the title Top Mod of a Very Small Forum.

(This topic was moved from The Bazar... which is the only Forum Fronsac and me hold any power over)
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

I'll be referee. The jobbing kind, or something.

Onle I require pay buahahaha.... 2 poe hahahahah It's white font.
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Sep 4, 2003 2:43:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

Re: moderator hat, DISengage! Reply to this Post

Gotagota wrote: 
Something tells me this isn't in the right forum. I can't move it though.

Ahh sorry, I did not see the events forum.
:)
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 4, 2003 7:52:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Cappin

a suggestion for refereeing
instead of having jobbers to check each boat
have each contestant say what ship they will be using and the name of their crew

at the start of race check the port to see that all those ships are present before the guy in the inn says go

then on the finish side have 2 people, 1 to keep eye on the inn, and the other to check the port for the ships

when a captain comes thru the door, the person in the inn tells the guy at dock and he checks to see if that captain's ship is in port, if not disqualified
[Sep 4, 2003 6:52:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

The best would be to use both methods. Port-Checking and Referee Jobbing.
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Sep 4, 2003 8:12:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Perhaps you could hold the race between archipelagos as well, so then you can't use ferries. Also, it'd make it a decent-length race.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Sep 4, 2003 11:47:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Remember that ship names aren't unique; for example if I borrowed/bought the deed to the Dastardly Dragons' small sloop the Happy Chub I'd have 2 Parrot Heads ships with the same name and could play some merry havoc with that...on-ship referees would be better for that reason at least.
[Sep 5, 2003 1:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cappin

good thought, my former captain has the same ship as someone else as well
though i figured nobody would waste their money to get 2 ships same name
probobly best to use the jobber refs
[Sep 5, 2003 5:23:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Aye, but easy to trade one small sloop deed for another - even just for a few hours.

There's bound to be someone who thinks of it if I did....or am I just a nasty sneaky person?! (don't answer Gotagota...)
[Sep 5, 2003 7:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Perplexed! Reply to this Post

stevoid wrote: 
(don't answer Gotagota...)

I haven't asked any questions yet...

[size=9]Silly language! Punctuation is for pansies who can't read implications!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 5, 2003 7:33:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lozza2003

Here's a short list of things that would make the race fair and interesting:

-maximum of 15 men
    -fighting between competitors allowed
    -interfering ships eliminated by refs >D
    -prize money - 10k PoE?
    -spectators to be monitered
    -I'll write the result on this thread in the most interesting way as I can[/list:u:02ce09f8e3]
[Sep 7, 2003 12:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nothing

stevoid wrote: 
Remember that ship names aren't unique; for example if I borrowed/bought the deed to the Dastardly Dragons' small sloop the Happy Chub I'd have 2 Parrot Heads ships with the same name and could play some merry havoc with that...on-ship referees would be better for that reason at least.
What about the colours?
[Sep 7, 2003 1:27:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

doesnt matter i dont think we have that ship any more

wildeyedjack
[Sep 7, 2003 2:07:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

lozza2003 wrote: 
Here's a short list of things that would make the race fair and interesting:

-maximum of 15 men

I was going to say just 6 pirate small sloops.
lozza2003 wrote: 

-fighting between competitors allowed

Defently.
lozza2003 wrote: 

-interfering ships eliminated by refs >D

Boo, thats no fun :)
I would like to have a number of ref-run ships sailing between two waypoints, and the racers needing a kill to contine.
lozza2003 wrote: 

-prize money - 10k PoE?

1K entry fee, 90% to the winner, 10% to pay for rum & shots on the target ships.
However, as I've had no one wanting to join, it will not be much of a pot :)
lozza2003 wrote: 

-spectators to be monitered

[color=grey][size=9]just noticed the missing u in quote
♪♫♪♫
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mlk at Sep 8, 2003 8:08:16 AM]
[Sep 8, 2003 8:08:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Estr

It sounds like a fun event to add to the game. Maybe I'm nieve but I think the point is to play the game and all the different way someone could cheat defeats the purpose of being here unless you really like to get a mit full of virtual poe.
[Sep 8, 2003 11:32:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Get rid of the refs on board, it's a huge pain. Make the boats small sloops which have an small upper limit of people working. Small sloops get up to speed sooner anyway, making the race shorter and more exciting.

Instead of refs on board, you can always do a /who on anyone on the crew to make sure they're on the ship and not whisking. Your port-watchers can do that while they wait. They don't need to check for the ship in port until they see the captain walking across the docks.

You can make duplicate-ship name tricks exponentially harder by making each entrant provide two possible ships for use, and you randomly pick which one they'll have to use, and/or by not specifying a destination until the race gets close to starting (insisting that all entrants have X, Y, and Z maps to enter).
[Sep 9, 2003 12:19:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

i think the sea-battle thing is most problematic.

Say my crew has a ship entered... the rest of my crew can dot the route, and harass passing ships of other entries. once on the sea battle screen we can shoot them inducing bilge and slowness, and when in actual combat we can all go very slow and avoid spacebars, thus making them take even longer.

Course my crew is not that big. What if a huge crew does this?

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Sep 9, 2003 2:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

No one who is racing will try to get into battle b/c it will slow them down. As for interference, any crew attacking racers can be disqualified, and anyone who hires another crew to run interference is just bringing shame on their crew and their flag. I believe the jobber ref is necessary, and must accompany the captain at all times. The ref provides insurance and reduces possible improprieties.

I volunteer to referee.
[Sep 9, 2003 3:36:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

OK. as long as that's explicitly part of the rules it seems fine te me.

There should probably be ocean-wide announcements made at the start of the race so no crew accidentally interferes, unaware that there's a race going on.

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Sep 9, 2003 7:54:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates