• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 696
Posts: 696   Pages: 24   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 131187 times and has 695 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

One month, 186 Familiars [Updated with four new competitions!] Reply to this Post

January 1: 12:00am Drinking Tournament - Happy New Year! (Red Monkey)
January 2: 6:00pm Bilging Competition (Navy/Blue Parrot)

January 3: 6:00am Shipwrightery Competition (Rose Octopus)
January 4: 12:00pm Treasure Drop Tournament (Orange Monkey)

January 5: 3:00pm Navigation Competition (Lavender/Purple Parrot)
January 6: 3:00am Sailing Competition (Yellow Octopus)
January 7: 9:00am Swordfighting Tournament (Grey Monkey)
January 8: 9:00pm Carpentry Competition (Mint/White Parrot)
January 9: 11:00pm Rumble 1st Tournament (light green octopus)

January 10: All Day - The Unspecified Ambiguous Race (unspecified)
January 11: 7:00am Bilge, Carpentry & Sailing Competition (brown Monkey)

January 12: 4:00pm Sailing Competition (violet/white parrot)
January 13: 1:00am Alchemistry Competition (Aqua octopus)
January 14: 1:00pm Treasure Drop 2nd Tournament (yellow Monkey)
January 15: 10:00pm Blacksmithing Competition (Navy/grey parrot)
January 16: 3:00pm Foraging Competition (lime octopus)

January 17: 11:00am Crafting Puzzle-Off (Indigo/White Serpent)
January 18: 7:00pm Swordfighting 2nd Tournament (magenta octopus)

January 19: 2:00am Onboard Ship Puzzle-Off (Indigo/White Serpent)
January 20: 2:00pm Carpentry Competition
January 21: 3:00am Navigation Competition (White/Pink Parrot)
January 22: 8:00pm Rumble 2nd Tournament (purple octopus)
January 23: 6:00pm Carpentry Competition (red monkey)

January 24: 7:00pm Team Race, 1st leg (Details)
January 25: 10:00am Team Race, 2nd leg (Details)

January 26: All Day Team Race, 3rd leg (Details)
January 27: All Day Team Race, 4th leg (Details)
January 28: 4:00am Distilling Competition (Beige Monkey)
January 29: 5:00pm Bilging Competition (pink/maroon parrot)

January 30: 8:00am Drinking 2nd Tournament (green octopus)

January 31: 10:00am Multi-Puzzle Competition (Puzzles TBD by event survey)

(See Announcements Forum Post)

February 27th: 10pm Gunning Competition (maroon octopus)
February 28th: 12:01 pm (Noon) Gunning Competition (yellow/red parrot)
March 1st: 5pm Foraging Competition (brown monkey)

Edit: Changed Carpentry competitions to be at different days/times (swapped with Blacksmithing)

Edit: Added the final three competitions as promised.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 27 times, last edit by Prometheus at Feb 26, 2009 3:30:17 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 9:47:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

Re: One month, 186 Familiars Reply to this Post

*Drools*

I love you OOO!

Questions:
Will the familiars be given out in Puzzle Competitions, or just tournaments?
Will they be colored or tan? (not that I care)
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Dec 30, 2008 9:53:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

*Drools*

I love you OOO!

Questions:
Will the familiars be given out in Puzzle Competitions, or just tournaments?
Will they be colored or tan? (not that I care)

I believe it is both competitions and tournaments. My bet would also be both tan and colored, but I have no clue.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[Dec 30, 2008 10:11:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Z1Q

Loving it once again, Thanks much.

When you say races, can we please have a couple of teams on but also solo ones, and if possible, european freindly? Many of my crew/flag do not like some of the times!

Thanks again, and good luck to everyone
Boom on Sage Ocean
Hanley on Hunter Ocean
Trib on Viridian Ocean
Senior Officer of Poorly Named Crew
Boom on sails here!
[Dec 30, 2008 10:35:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Not that I don't love a shot at winning a familiar, but um, why are you guys giving them out like they're going out of style lately?

I thought you guys wanted familiar prices to go up, not down. I mean, at least these aren't random like the Halloween ones, but still, some insight would be appreciated.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Dec 30, 2008 10:38:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

YAY! Now I can finally have a chance to win the gunning competition familiar on Malachite and not Cobalt! =D
Verlool
[Dec 30, 2008 10:51:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Boomaker

Wow... Its the Olympics all over again. Lets see how many Familiars we can give out.

Once upon a time Familiars were prized possessions and very rare so you know whoever had one achieved something . Now it feels like OOO is trying to give every player in the game one.

Phail.
Eolithic CS 1.5 for life

Eolithic has won This is 10% luck, 20% skill!

Factorie says, "Eolithic has a 99 Percent chance of Winning, that other 1 Percent is also Winning."

Romtu says, "I once bilged a man to death."
[Dec 30, 2008 11:18:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

Wow... Its the Olympics all over again. Lets see how many Familiars we can give out.

Once upon a time Familiars were prized possessions and very rare so you know whoever had one achieved something . Now it feels like OOO is trying to give every player in the game one.

Phail.

Familiars are still rare. They need to find more ways to bring them into the game with the ever increasing population of the oceans
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Dec 30, 2008 11:37:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

I can't find a quote, but a couple of years ago there was something from Clever saying that he wanted to make familiars easier to get, he wanted more people to be able to have them. I'm fairly sure that OOO has never said they were hoarding familiars, so I'm not sure why Cire said this:

I thought you guys wanted familiar prices to go up, not down.

Because I'm fairly certian they've never publicly stated what price they want familiars sold at, no matter it be low or high.

As for the:

Once upon a time Familiars were prized possessions and very rare so you know whoever had one achieved something

How do these completions/tournaments/races lesson that? It's not like they're drawing random names then putting the familiar in the pirates' booty, you still have to do something significant to win one. I know that I'll be competing in some of these, and while I know there's no chance in hell of me winning, it'll be fun. So suck it up and put on a brave smile, even though you think OOO is griefing your playstyle, and always remember you don't have to play in the celebrations if you don't want to. ;-)
Jenx
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fixated at Dec 30, 2008 11:47:18 AM]
[Dec 30, 2008 11:46:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1626405#1626405
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Dec 30, 2008 11:57:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

Eh...so I take it giving out familiars has a higher priority than say...fixing competitions. Oh well, it should be interesting and fun all we can do is hope that all goes well.
Anchovia
[Dec 30, 2008 12:11:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysugar96

Prometheus wrote:

we will continue on with the competitions and indeed awarding familiars of various hue with them... although maybe not quite with the manic frenzy of the opening salvo.

So instead the plan is to continue with and even greater frenzy... interesting.
(Link has alreasy been provided on the previous page)

That being said, if their intention is to "divy" out more familiars so that a wider range of people have the oppurunity to win them, then I dont see how this will work at all. The only difference between giving out a fam for a duty/crafting puzzle than a parlor puzzle, is that the person who will be wining them all is coming from a different pool of people. The fact remains that there will only be two or three people winning the different puzzles. So yes, I suppose more people will be receiving familiars, but to me, it seems like they're trying to just cover up something that they said needed to be fixed.
Oldsalti
[Edit 1 times, last edit by saltysugar96 at Dec 30, 2008 12:37:45 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 12:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I can't find a quote, but a couple of years ago there was something from Clever saying that he wanted to make familiars easier to get, he wanted more people to be able to have them. I'm fairly sure that OOO has never said they were hoarding familiars, so I'm not sure why Cire said this:

I thought you guys wanted familiar prices to go up, not down.

Because I'm fairly certian they've never publicly stated what price they want familiars sold at, no matter it be low or high.

I remembered that with the sticky-familiars plan, one of their big goals was to make familiars more prestigious. I'm also almost positive I recall a ringer saying they were unhappy familiars sell for so much less now than they used to.
Cire

[Dec 30, 2008 12:56:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

We thought you would enjoy the events. :)
[Dec 30, 2008 1:08:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

We thought you would enjoy the events. :)

Too much of even a good thing is bad. D:

Like vitamin A, and beer.

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Dec 30, 2008 1:21:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moeurfoe

Dear Apollo, Artemis and other OMs, I hope the competitions are set to not last too long each. Unlike games like drinking and td(with holes) where theres a good amount of luck involved and a player from GM above has a decent chance to win, giving the best player in bilge or other piracy puzzle an hour is basically saying we shouldnt bother joining them unless we are a high high ult. Those 15 minute competitions during christmas are working way better than the original olympics. This also stop from 1 person having 4 alts win the top 4 prizes since they get enough time to get a superhigh incred 4 times.

In tournaments if you lose, you lose, and dont get 100s of chances to win. In competitions something similiar must be involved for more people to have an interest in them.

And also, yay for events, we love them when theres even a 1% chance to win.
Captain of Haxorz on Viridian

Moedefoe on Viridian, Sage, Cobalt and Midnight
Kanoo on Hunter and errr...Malachite thing.
[Dec 30, 2008 1:21:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Shorter competitions are likely the direction we're moving - although I like the idea of having really long competitions to allow lots of people to have a chance and join, I think the negatives outweighed the positives. I am curious if the crafting times were good or if they should be adjusted further - alchemistry had been set to 60 and the others to 30. Too long? Short?

To those who believe giving out 31 familiars in one month on an ocean will have a negative impact on familiars, I would ask that you provide an analysis explaining how this will happen. I've heard all the arguments before and remain unconvinced that this is going to make any significant impact on either the prestige of familiars as a whole, their price or the percentage of pirates who own them. You should have several past events to pull data from, I'd be interested in what you find!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Artemis at Dec 30, 2008 1:55:17 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 1:53:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Thanks for providing so many opportunities! Hopefully I'll be able to participate in a few of these contests. :)
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Dec 30, 2008 2:01:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daviro

Assuming there will be rumble tournaments.... PLEASE do at least make ONE actual rumble tournament. We've seen so much boxing lately!

:)
Daviro, sailing all oceans under the same name raising the Sage flag.
[Dec 30, 2008 2:13:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dougerarg

I think that familiars used to represent how a player had worked hard and earned it. So now I look around and see pirates with no pillaging experience with familiars because they had a good day at poker. Poker needs to be removed.
Scervy of Hunter
Omnis on Sage

Retired YPP player. Miss all my old pals from long ago
[Dec 30, 2008 2:15:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I can only give anecdotal evidence, but I know people who owned tan octopuses (and several who didn't) who were very put off when they found out that they were being given out randomly to people who bought doubs or renewed subs.

I know one person who has referred to tan octos as "$9.95s" ever since then.

I don't know the full details on this but, I've heard from a couple different sources that the tan octo give-away was booched on Midnight and people were given brown octos instead which they have been able to have recolored. I apologize if this is wrong, but I know of at least one legit colored octo winner who was very put off when they were told this.

Tan octos seem to be worth much less now than they were previously. I believe they used to go for something like $1.3 million or higher, and I've heard them lately going for as little as 800k.

Anyway, I'm more just curious as to why so many more seem to be getting given out lately than previously? Before this announcement I've had discussions with at least a few hearties who have been concerned that too many are being given out.
Cire

[Dec 30, 2008 2:16:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Once upon a time Familiars were prized possessions and very rare so you know whoever had one achieved something.

That kind of went out the window when people started buying and selling them in the bazaars as if they were some piece of clothing. I didn't agree with sticky familiars, but I am disgusted by familiar brokers.
Jolyma

[Dec 30, 2008 2:19:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Every month since the introduction of tans, 16 familiars have been given out on each ocean just through autotournaments. I don't think doubling that number and including races and competitions is so horrible. It's only about 12 extra familiars per ocean after you consider the various non-tournament events, like races, that run most months anyway.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Dec 30, 2008 2:31:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

As much as I dislike the idea of giving away zillions more familiars to random people who manage to do very well once, I think the perspective of any Midnighter on familiar prices is drastically skewed by the massive deflation we've been experiencing. What I mean is a much, much smaller pool of active players; many, many more opportunities to sink PoE; and a steadily decreasing need to order new clothing, swords, bludgeons, and mugs. Even the shipwrights aren't doing much better than they used to: Midnight just has such a gigantic surplus of ships that is only now being slowly worked through.

I argue that everything is relative. While a colored familiar can sell for over 10 million on Viridian (Sorry, too lazy to find the link), Midnight's economy does not allow for this.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 
Listen to Faulkston. [They're] right, you're wrong.

[Dec 30, 2008 2:34:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

Jolyma wrote: 

Once upon a time Familiars were prized possessions and very rare so you know whoever had one achieved something.

That kind of went out the window when people started buying and selling them in the bazaars as if they were some piece of clothing. I didn't agree with sticky familiars, but I am disgusted by familiar brokers hoarders.

Not the people who are able to win 60+ familiars. More power to them. The people who BUY familiars, and then hide them away. That's just sad. ANIMAL CRUELTY, I tells ya.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 
Listen to Faulkston. [They're] right, you're wrong.

[Dec 30, 2008 2:36:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UreMama

proof is on mala. I won a red monkey for an event and went to sell. This was 2-3 months after the olympics. Before the olympics the prices were barely getting up to the 4-5 mil poe range for a colord fam. 2-3 months after the prices for a colored fam i believe were under 3 mil. Theres your proof as you flooded the ocean and drastically reduced prices. Itll be a lower effect on the main oceans, but still an effect.
Kory on all oceans, but specifically Viridian
[Dec 30, 2008 2:39:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Malachite is too new for huge prices on familiars yet. The Olympics didn't flood the market there, as there really isn't one yet.

And by familiar brokers, TFD, I meant the people who buy them off one person just to sell them to another. If one person can win 60+ familiars, more power to them, at least I know who to beat.

I am looking forward to the competitions at least. I don't carouse enough to win one in tourneys, unless I luck out on turbo/holes TD. I don't use poe to buy them, but I AM a really good puzzler. So, for me, this is a way to get a familiar. For far too long, the majority of familiars were given out in tourneys, and I, for one, am glad for a way for puzzlers to get some too.
Jolyma

[Dec 30, 2008 2:51:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Squee for more high end competitions, and some for the non-carousing puzzles.

Shorter competitions are likely the direction we're moving - although I like the idea of having really long competitions to allow lots of people to have a chance and join, I think the negatives outweighed the positives. I am curious if the crafting times were good or if they should be adjusted further - alchemistry had been set to 60 and the others to 30. Too long? Short?

For distilling, 30 minutes is okish, and just a touch longer would be ideal - maybe 40 or 45 minutes. 15 minutes isn't long enough.

If you do end up convinced that too many familiars are going out, I'd like to request that all carousing ones be suspended till the other puzzles have had a chance to catch up at least partway. :-)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Dec 30, 2008 3:07:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

If you do end up convinced that too many familiars are going out, I'd like to request that all carousing ones be suspended till the other puzzles have had a chance to catch up at least partway. :-)

Sweetie, I love you, /me snuggles.
Jolyma

[Dec 30, 2008 3:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quack_688

Now that's just evil. I like it.

But just for fun, would anyone here care to guesstimate the ratio of "carousing familiars" : "duty familiars" : "crafting familiars"?

Wildturkey, Malachite
[Dec 30, 2008 3:27:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 696   Pages: 24   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates