• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 759
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 174144 times and has 758 replies Next Thread
silentmonk

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

that happens to me on some islands, but not allways, only sometimes.
----------------------------------------
Wigglesworth on the Meridian
Wiggle Speculators Ltd.
Rum Soaked Devils
[Edit 1 times, last edit by silentmonk at Sep 29, 2008 7:12:42 PM]
[Sep 29, 2008 7:11:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FerdtheGREAT

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

It seems to be happening with Lima on Cobalt. Any ideas as to why? And how could it be fixed?

EDIT: It seems to be happening with most Jade islands.

I'd really like to find a solution. I do not want to have to manually search for profitable trades.
Ferdnand
[Edit 1 times, last edit by FerdtheGREAT at Sep 29, 2008 7:18:34 PM]
[Sep 29, 2008 7:17:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rnchairman@yahoo.com    jus24tin [Link]  Go to top 
brazzy

It seems to be happening with Lima on Cobalt. Any ideas as to why? And how could it be fixed?

How about reading the previous postings in this thread?
--
http://www.brazzy.de
[Sep 30, 2008 1:21:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.brazzy.de/ [Link]  Go to top 
dpmiller

Ok...

To Update this Thread

This Tool does not currently work to its prime...

The origial writer has been dormant for a while and the tool hasn't updated for the new isles and commods, so of course you will probably get a error when trying to use it.

Right now, people are trying to rework the tool but it is taking a while because no one can find the source code for updates 2, and 3 that the writer did. I believe someone is trying to rework the Source code from the original tool.

If you try and use this tool currently...there is no guarantee that it will work...so please do not complain, there are people trying to fix the errors so please be patient.

[Please Excuse My Grammar and Spelling, No Tarts Needed]
Vanderman-Cobalt
Fleet Officer of Fire and Ice
Flag: Elements of Fear
[Sep 30, 2008 8:54:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

If you try and use this tool currently...there is no guarantee that it will work...

... but you have the best chances if you use the v3 client. If you come across the v4 client, DO NOT USE IT. That's what causes the AJAX responder errors.
[Oct 1, 2008 7:53:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mercurialis

I've taken a look through this thread and the yppedia article and the help section on the website but I haven't found an answer to my question:

I'm playing on malachite and new islands are constantly opening. A couple of the islands that have newly opened appear in the database and I'm able to download information to them, but the newest islands haven't. How do I load an island into the database?

I've checked the YPPedia page and the shop names are correct but the program consistently gives me Adder Ridge on Cobalt as its best guess and upon scrolling down through the list of islands on Malachite Celesta Island (the one I'm trying to load) does not appear.

Any suggestions?
Mercuro on Malachite
[Oct 6, 2008 3:11:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

Just whatever you do, don't code anything from now on that isn't open source...

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Oct 7, 2008 3:11:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I've checked the YPPedia page and the shop names are correct but the program consistently gives me Adder Ridge on Cobalt as its best guess and upon scrolling down through the list of islands on Malachite Celesta Island (the one I'm trying to load) does not appear.

Now, I've never done this myself, because I only play on Midnight and they haven't added an island in years. BUT, when it guesses Adder Ridge on Cobalt, you should be able to change what it has there and put in a new island name and pick Malachite as the ocean. That should then add the island to the database when you go to submit.
[Oct 7, 2008 12:39:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Now, I've never done this myself, because I only play on Midnight and they haven't added an island in years. BUT, when it guesses Adder Ridge on Cobalt, you should be able to change what it has there and put in a new island name and pick Malachite as the ocean. That should then add the island to the database when you go to submit.

I've had a similar thing happen, giving me Adder Ridge on Cobalt when I was trying to scan Prolix Purlieu on Viridian. The software will NOT let you switch oceans or islands in this case.

What did work was this: Don't scan from the market screen on your ship, but go to the island market itself. I don't know why scanning from the market screen on the ship hold screws it up, but it does.

Going to the actual market itself has been my workaround in this case and in cases for hangups from unknown commodities.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Oct 7, 2008 5:38:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Mercurialis

I have tryed from the market on the island, nothing different. There is no way of typing in island names. This just has me so confused because other islands have been added to the database so their has to be a way. Thank you for your attempts though.
Mercuro on Malachite
[Oct 7, 2008 6:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I've had a similar thing happen, giving me Adder Ridge on Cobalt when I was trying to scan Prolix Purlieu on Viridian. The software will NOT let you switch oceans or islands in this case.

So it will only let you switch oceans and islands when it has a valid guess in the first place? We are both talking about the ppaocr client, right? (Just making sure we're both in the same place.)

I only know about the Lacerta Arch on Malachite and one other island, and have no whisks or dubs to get them, so it's tough for me to test this. With a bit of coordination I could get an /invite...?
[Oct 8, 2008 7:59:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

So it will only let you switch oceans and islands when it has a valid guess in the first place? We are both talking about the ppaocr client, right? (Just making sure we're both in the same place.)

Yes, we are both talking about the ppaocr client, and yes on the switching oceans/islands.

[Oct 8, 2008 11:27:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Mercurialis

Are we talking about not being able to switch islands or oceans?
I was talking about not being able to enter a new island name with teh PPAOCR client.
Mercuro on Malachite
[Oct 8, 2008 4:37:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Unless the YPPedia pages aren't caught up with the actual buildings on the islands, there is going to be a problem, and with most of the new islands, this may be so. The SW compares shop name/bulding names on the OCR scan with the YPPedia pages for those islands, and if something doesn't match, it's going to default you to Adder Ridge on Cobalt.

This means the wiki needs to be updated, more than anything.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Oct 9, 2008 8:07:32 AM]
[Oct 9, 2008 8:06:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Mercurialis

I've checked the page for Celesta Island and it seems to be satisfactorily updated. I'm wondering if the formatting or the navigation address might be the problem. Thoughts?
Mercuro on Malachite
[Oct 9, 2008 2:35:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

Is this tool not working at all any more?

When I do the summary, I get the summary. But when I click on the islands to get the profitable route information, it gives me the following error: "Ajax responder failed with message: "'vaule' is null or not an object"". Is this an unfixable problem?

Some pirates are looking for a way to get it working again. The error you are getting happens when a trade includes any one of several new commodities that apparently are not correctly loaded.
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
Midnight: Marooned Marauders of the flag Fairwinds
[Oct 9, 2008 3:41:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

I tried to do a test on Malachite today, using both V4 and V3 of the client, and had mondo problems.

I had had to uninstall my YPP client a few months back and reinstall, and it is now Ver 1.6 Java, so I backed out to Jave 1.5_09 (when I tried 1.5_06 YPP insisted on updating), but although I could scan the markets at Zuyua Mist and Celesta, the SW refused to recognize the islands for upload.

So, any advice in this area? I couldn't get Duat or Flyaway to scan at all, and, just so you know, the website doesn't have the capital islands at all, except Morgan, all of which have functional markets on them (for fruit and gems if nothing else) since Mala opened. And except for Zuyua and Lilac, the client didn't recognize any island outside of Lacerta arch.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Oct 10, 2008 1:04:04 AM]
[Oct 10, 2008 1:02:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

OK, an update on the situation.

First, there are 2 "clients" to worry about, and for some reason it took until yesterday to figure that out. The PPAOCR client is the windows app that does the data collection. The latest of that is V4. The source code to V1 is available at code001.tgz from the server.

The web interface is a client as well. The latest of that is V3, which is why the V4 PPAOCR client breaks things. The source to V1 is also in code001.tgz.

The V4 subversion tree on google code is empty. There are no prior version trees on google code.

I have corresponded with the person hosting the app. He is unwilling to hand over Gord's code without Gord's permission. I'm not happy with that, but I can understand where he's coming from. That would include the V3 web interface and the database, but only the V1 PPAOCR source.

So as things stand, I've got V1 source to everything. Since Gord's coding style and choices of language are not even close to mine, re-engineering V2-4 and implementing them are a monumental task. Recreating from scratch would probably be easier. Both are more of a time commitment than I can make. With V3 or V4 code, creating a working V5 isn't that bad a task, assuming the changes are: new commodities, try and get Java 1.6 support. After that, V6 would fix the commodities mapping design decision. Both are doable.

Summary - without Gord's handoff, we're hosed.
[Oct 15, 2008 7:38:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

(lots of stuff deleted)

So as things stand, I've got V1 source to everything. Since Gord's coding style and choices of language are not even close to mine, re-engineering V2-4 and implementing them are a monumental task. Recreating from scratch would probably be easier. Both are more of a time commitment than I can make. With V3 or V4 code, creating a working V5 isn't that bad a task, assuming the changes are: new commodities, try and get Java 1.6 support. After that, V6 would fix the commodities mapping design decision. Both are doable.

I agree on the recreating from scratch; this is often the case when something needs too many fixes/updates, whether it's code or procedural documentation. (I've done some of the former and too flaming much of the latter when I was doing ISO9000 procedure documentation on a contract basis).

[Oct 15, 2008 6:56:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I have corresponded with the person hosting the app. He is unwilling to hand over Gord's code without Gord's permission. I'm not happy with that, but I can understand where he's coming from. That would include the V3 web interface and the database, but only the V1 PPAOCR source.

*choke* is he familiar with the concept of free open source software? I mean, this stuff is MIT-license; Gord's whole idea was to improve on the first iteration of this stuff, where we got hosed when the creator vanished. The website says it's hosted by KingOfZeal, who was a contributor in this forum last year, any chance he could pop in and explain this out?

QFT.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Oct 15, 2008 8:18:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

*choke* is he familiar with the concept of free open source software? I mean, this stuff is MIT-license; Gord's whole idea was to improve on the first iteration of this stuff, where we got hosed when the creator vanished. The website says it's hosted by KingOfZeal, who was a contributor in this forum last year, any chance he could pop in and explain this out?

It was KingOfZeal I was talking to. I'd forgotten that one point - Gord put it under MIT license. That IS Gord's permission. Dropping him another email...
[Oct 16, 2008 3:02:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

As Adriana already knows, along with a couple other pirates, I've been working on a new commodity trader that I will be calling Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer. It will fix these problems by eliminating the web site altogether. You can read more about the project here:

Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer

I will be looking for beta testers within the coming weeks, so send me a PM if you might be interested. I hope to have beta testers from all the oceans. You can also see a video of what I've been working on. This is of an older revision of the software, but not much has changed between this video and the latest revision.

Demo video (DivX, 42 MB) - Just fooling around with the application

First, there are 2 "clients" to worry about, and for some reason it took until yesterday to figure that out. The PPAOCR client is the windows app that does the data collection. The latest of that is V4. The source code to V1 is available at code001.tgz from the server.

The web interface is a client as well. The latest of that is V3, which is why the V4 PPAOCR client breaks things. The source to V1 is also in code001.tgz.

The V4 subversion tree on google code is empty. There are no prior version trees on google code.

On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Oct 19, 2008 12:25:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Announcement web page wrote: 
System Requirements

This application is designed to run on Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. It will not install or run on Windows 2000 or older systems.

License

This application will be available free of charge, but I am not anticipating making it open source. There will, of course, be support available through the contact form.

So, an application that still won't run on Linux or Macintosh, with an inability to share data that various people collect, and closed source? I fail to see how this is an improvement.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Oct 19, 2008 5:15:02 AM]
[Oct 19, 2008 5:14:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

"still won't run on Linux or Macintosh"

This is because, as I've noted on the web page, this application will be using the same OCR code as previous tools, including the Bleach tool, adapted for my needs, of course. However, I will say, that recently I discovered a possible way to adapt the OCR code for Linux and Macintosh, along with Windows, of course, using a single API but I have not yet attempted development to determine how feasible or difficult this may be.

Have you seen the OCR code? It's written to target Windows and heavily uses the Windows API. Adapting that for Linux or Mac OS X isn't a matter of just compiling it or changing a few lines of code. It requires massive changes and an understanding of the target platform.

Just because it does not yet work on Linux or Macintosh does not mean it never will. The one thing that must be kept in mind is how different all of the environments are. This introduces a lot of development difficulties, and as my primary development platform is not Linux or OS X, but Windows, naturally this application will first be developed on the platform under which I have the most expertise, and on which it is most likely to be used.

Whether it will be adapted for other platforms will depend on the difficulty of adapting the OCR code for those platforms. If I cannot adapt the OCR code such that it will work on another platform, there is no point in adapting the rest of the application.

"inability to share data that people collect"

A central server of any kind I feel has been the central weakness of the previous three tools I've mentioned on the web page, so yes, I've done away with it.

"and closed source"

And what's the problem with it being closed source? Most applications are, including Y!PP.

Will it be entirely closed source? No. There is an API I created to wrap around the SQLite library that I will be improving upon further and releasing as open source -- Apache license most likely. I will probably be releasing my improvements to the OCR code as well.

So why did I not put this on the web site announcing the application? Because it is not relevant to those who will be using the application, just like it is not relevant whether something is open or closed source, but whether it will be free or you'll have to pay for it.

I mean think about it. How many people who use software instead of write it care if something is open source? The answer may surprise you. Why has OpenOffice.org become so popular? The answer is not because it's open source, but because it can be legally obtained free of charge.

"I fail to see how this is an improvement."

Well that is your point of view. But I've tried to use Gorondo's tool, and I failed to see it as an improvement over Bemis's Pirate Commodity Trader. I preferred Bemis's tool, truthfully, so I set out to create something similar, only removing the remote database and keeping everything local.

To everyone else, I apologize for addressing LJ's post in this fashion, but I felt it necessary. I will probably open a new thread to discuss this new tool further as it approaches release.
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Oct 19, 2008 3:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

"inability to share data that people collect"

A central server of any kind I feel has been the central weakness of the previous three tools I've mentioned on the web page, so yes, I've done away with it.

... and many out there feel that is a strength of them. Since we haven't had any problems with the current server (other than my inability to swipe the code off of it to maintain it) in AGES, I'm not sure I see any weaknesses, and the advantage of collaboration is a big one.

Since I expect to have code in hand shortly, V5 will be soon (but I won't promise a date until I have the code and start modifying it). We'll see what people prefer.
[Oct 19, 2008 4:57:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

the advantage of collaboration is a big one.

How is sharing the data for others to use and from which they will benefit directly, while taking away your ability to directly benefit, collaborating? Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but the idea of collaboration is to share information for the mutual benefit of all who are collaborating. Sharing commodity data from which you intend to hopefully profit and from which others may deprive you of that ability is not collaboration.

If I'm going to be island hopping to collect commodity data, I want to at least ensure that others cannot deprive me of my ability to benefit from my efforts. Keeping the information local is, I feel, the only way to guarantee this.

It also means that someone cannot upload data that is slightly older than what I've just collected, thus corrupting the central storage for everyone. And the fact that there is a delay between collection and upload (because you have to click an Upload item to actually send the data), or a delay could be caused by network issues such as lag, that can have a detrimental impact on the "collaboration".

Plus I hear that the Bleach application requires that others keep the YPPedia up to date to ensure proper functionality. Again, I may be old fashioned, but proper functionality is the responsibility of the person developing the application, not those using it.
[Oct 19, 2008 6:31:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

How is sharing the data for others to use and from which they will benefit directly, while taking away your ability to directly benefit, collaborating? Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but the idea of collaboration is to share information for the mutual benefit of all who are collaborating. Sharing commodity data from which you intend to hopefully profit and from which others may deprive you of that ability is not collaboration.

As often as they will deprive you of profit, you will do the same to them. Also, if, for example, I grab all of Ruby, Diamond, and Sapphire archs because I'm heading from Ruby to Sapphire, I also populate the information for those heading in the other direction.

Plus I hear that the Bleach application requires that others keep the YPPedia up to date to ensure proper functionality. Again, I may be old fashioned, but proper functionality is the responsibility of the person developing the application, not those using it.

The Bleach application requires that YPPedia is up to date. Nothing says "others" about that. That's also like saying that it shouldn't need to rely on YiPP - YPPedia is the canonical source for knowledge of the game, we all rely on it quite a bit.
[Oct 19, 2008 6:41:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CurlyKidd

As often as they will deprive you of profit, you will do the same to them. Also, if, for example, I grab all of Ruby, Diamond, and Sapphire archs because I'm heading from Ruby to Sapphire, I also populate the information for those heading in the other direction.

Personally, I've only ever used the existing data for some some what-ifs for a later date. If I'm gonna move stuff from A to B, I actually go all around A to B checking for deals.

The Bleach application requires that YPPedia is up to date. Nothing says "others" about that. That's also like saying that it shouldn't need to rely on YiPP - YPPedia is the canonical source for knowledge of the game, we all rely on it quite a bit.

Remember, the reason for relying on the YPPedia is so that new stuff will Just Work(TM) and not require an update.
[Oct 19, 2008 7:15:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
annebunny

[Personally, I've only ever used the existing data for some some what-ifs for a later date. If I'm gonna move stuff from A to B, I actually go all around A to B checking for deals..

I upload from A, from B, and points in between. Then use the tool to decide what I'm going to take with me.

That last sentence should be in past-tense. I haven't been able to use it since all the new enamels became available. I am looking forward to having it available again!

Orrorin
Blackwolf Marauders
Orrorin
SO, Blackwolf Marauders

[Oct 20, 2008 9:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

I think lack of collaboration is a major improvement, not a drawback... As said by several people, you have to actually go to the islands yourself anyway if you plan on doing a real, efficient run. And then a bunch of people who are unable to conceptualize things like he value of free time swoop in and do a bunch of inefficient runs that eat away at the potential for big voyages later on.

Plus the extreme longevity and speed and extra robustness that comes from not having a server...

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Oct 21, 2008 1:49:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates