• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3514 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Burnt_Water

Ironic: Fat children should be taken away from parents Reply to this Post

Grossly overweight children may be taken from their families and put into care if Britain's obesity epidemic continues to escalate, council chiefs said yesterday.

The Local Government Association argued that parents who allowed their children to eat too much could be as guilty of neglect as those who did not feed their children at all.

The association said that until now there had been only a few cases when social services had intervened in obesity cases. But it gave warning that local councils may have to take action much more often and, if necessary, put obese children on 'at risk' registers or take them into care. It called for new guidelines to be drawn up to help authorities deal with the issue.

There have been some reported cases where children under 10 have weighed up to 14st (89kg) and a three-year-old has weighed 10st ' putting them at a high risk of diabetes and heart disease. Only last week a 15-year-old girl in Wales was told by doctors that she could 'drop dead at any moment' after tipping the scales at 33st.

David Rogers, the Local Government Association's public health spokesman, said that by 2012 an estimated million children would be obese and by 2025 about a quarter of all boys would be grossly overweight.

'Councils are increasingly having to consider taking action where parents are putting children's health in real danger,' he said. 'As the obesity epidemic grows, these tricky cases will keep on cropping up. Councils would step in to deal with an undernourished and neglected child, so should a case with a morbidly obese child be different? If parents consistently place their children at risk through bad diet and lack of exercise, is it right that a council should step in to keep the child's health under review?'

'The nation's expanding waistline threatens to have a devastating impact on our public services. It's a huge issue for public health, but it also risks placing an unprecedented amount of pressure on council services.'

The association called for a national debate on how much local authorities should intervene in obesity cases. As a basic minimum, social services or health visitors should talk to the families involved, give them advice and show them how to provide healthy meals. 'But in the worst cases [the children] would need to be put on 'at risk' registers or taken into care.'

Last year Cumbria County Council put an eight-year old girl into care as she was dangerously overweight.

Anne Ridgway, of Cumbria Primary Care Trust, said that it was extremely rare for a child to be put into care just because of their weight. 'Even then the care proceedings may well have been instigated because of related problems rather than exclusively because of their weight,' she said. Extreme cases of obesity could become a child protection issue because obesity 'can have very serious consequences for a child's health and the parental behaviour that leads to childhood obesity can be a form of neglect'.

Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum, said: 'Children who are dangerously overweight should be brought into hospital, where they can be given 24-hour care for several weeks or months. But their parents should have access to them.'

The Conservative Party said that taking children into care was a serious step. Andrew Landsley, the Shadow Health Secretary, said that in many cases 'it would be better to help the parents provide better nutrition for their child rather than break up the family'.

Source, 'deadly facts' in that article too such as how many people are 'too fat to work'.

Discuss. *brings the chocolate popcorn*

/edit: Weird characters appeared
----------------------------------------
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Burnt_Water at Aug 16, 2008 7:42:05 AM]
[Aug 16, 2008 7:40:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Re: Ironic: Fat children should be taken away from parents Reply to this Post

Knowing that there's a toddler out there that weighs more than me makes me feel positively tiny.

Also:

Discuss. *brings the chocolate popcorn*

Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution. I have carrot sticks. >.>
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Aug 16, 2008 7:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
ByeThunda

Mm, carrot sticks.

Chocolate popcorn sounds like it would get your hand disgusting, too.
Mr. J. Skidwanlus
22 Acacia Avegnu
Napi Peak, Cobalt, 11235
[Aug 16, 2008 8:05:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TuucciZ

I admit I'm eating potato chips at the time, but I burn an enormous amount of calories every day aswell. Dance games burn at my level about a thousand calories per an hour of active play, and when it's combined to swimming, waterpolo, tennis and running, I think I can reward myself with potato chips more often than most other people.

I'm a 190 cm tall quad-sport athlete and toddlers weight as much as, if not more than me? Please, Britain, take these kids from their parents. That's just sick.
Tuuc on Sage. Yes, I'm back.
Nemo wrote: 
I would like to send my heartfelt thanks to everyone who didn't post in this thread.

[Aug 16, 2008 8:17:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Oh look, overseas is now catching up to the USA in terms of fat asses.

And yeah, I've seen 11 year olds that weigh nearly a much as I do, and I need to lose weight. It's pretty sad, but it's going to happen.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Aug 16, 2008 8:38:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

It would help somewhat if the lower-cost pre-prepped foods in many of the grocery chains weren't so full of fat and sugar. Also, the govt's determination to drive both parents back to work, thus encouraging convenience foods/takeaway meals isn't helping much.

And of course, god bless McDonalds, Dominoes, and the kebab shop on almost every street corner - and the pocket money that enables kids to go and eat there outside their home mealtimes.

No, it's not a solid excuse, but it certainly helps to exaggerate the issue.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets. Now with occasional logging-in for purely social purposes.
Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Aug 16, 2008 9:13:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CKShinrai

Oh look, overseas is now catching up to the USA in terms of fat asses.

And yeah, I've seen 11 year olds that weigh nearly a much as I do, and I need to lose weight. It's pretty sad, but it's going to happen.

Britain has always been very close behind the US with this.

I mean, have you seen some of the things they EAT?

- Shin,
they don't throw away the tasty innards of the animals like we do over here, they just EAT THOSE SQUISHY ORGANS
Cronk wrote: 
I make it a point to always agree with Llama when it comes to bacon.

[Aug 16, 2008 9:42:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TuucciZ

More tax on unhealthy food, less tax on healthy food.
Nemo wrote: 
I would like to send my heartfelt thanks to everyone who didn't post in this thread.

[Aug 16, 2008 9:45:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

OM NOM NOM NOM
Maybe you'll see me around on Sage. Probably not.
Amg, Lockerz invites available. Send me a message.
[Aug 16, 2008 9:56:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Mmmm, Ice cream. :)

Eat up!
Kadazzle
[Aug 16, 2008 10:09:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

Has anyone read Kevin Trudeau's book The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You To Know About? It is quite an interesting read, and it fits in very well with this thread.

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Aug 16, 2008 10:32:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

Has anyone read Kevin Trudeau's book The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You To Know About? It is quite an interesting read, and it fits in very well with this thread.

Paraphrase?
[Aug 16, 2008 10:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

Paraphrase?

There is an uber conspiracy, and the food we eat has certain chemicals that make us fat and keep us addicted to the food, and that it clogs the hypothalamus gland, and a way to eat away the fat cells, make higher metabolism, and lose the urge to eat (I think this book is for morbidly obese people, not the 5-10 lbs overweight people), is to take hCG hormone injections, and a few rules on what you should eat. hCg is not certified by the FDA (conspiracy between FDA and food companies. If people lose the urge to eat fatty food - that becomes problematic for food companies). He also claims there is a doctor's office in Europe somewhere, and many famous celebrities go there to recieve these injections to keep their weight in check.

Very controversial book and author. A link is here --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weight-Loss_Cure_%22They%22_Don%27t_Want_You_to_Know_About

Antix says, "Nice one"

[Aug 16, 2008 10:52:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TuucciZ

That sounds pretty much like a big ad:

"There's this giant conspiracy, and the only way to win obesity is to eat these pills. Just 5.99 each, and 49 for a 10-pack!"
Nemo wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by TuucciZ at Aug 16, 2008 10:59:09 AM]
[Aug 16, 2008 10:58:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

That sounds pretty much like a big ad:

"There's this giant conspiracy, and the only way to win obesity is to eat these pills. Just 5.99 each, and 49 for a 10-pack!"

Needles > Capsules.

And that does sound pretty nutty, so said the ruler Arbethos.
[Aug 16, 2008 11:07:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

If the author has to put "They" in quotes, it's probably a conspiracy theory.
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Aug 16, 2008 11:14:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eirian1

you do realise that hCg is the hormone that you test for with pregnancy test kits?
Eirian of Midnight
FO of Black Lightning
[Aug 16, 2008 11:24:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

Kids are fat because they're having babies! Of COURSE!
[Aug 16, 2008 11:32:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
TuucciZ

Let's go give free pregnancy tests to three-year-olds so they can know if they're pregnant-obese or fat-obese.
Nemo wrote: 

[Aug 16, 2008 11:41:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

Let's go give free pregnancy tests to three-year-olds so they can know if they're pregnant-obese or fat-obese.

[Aug 16, 2008 11:53:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

I think the use of the word "conspiracy" is a pretty big clue, too.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 
Listen to Faulkston. [They're] right, you're wrong.

[Aug 16, 2008 1:16:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

I think the use of the word "conspiracy" is a pretty big clue, too.

Quiet you, I can't be expected to read the entire sentence!
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Aug 16, 2008 1:36:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weight-Loss_Cure_%22They%22_Don%27t_Want_You_to_Know_About

"Trudeau is a convicted felon with no certified medical training."

Yep. That right there makes me just want to fly and jump onto his bandwagon of buying other random stuff to put in your bodies.

I dunno, maybe I'm too simple, but doesn't diet and exercise work anymore (Except in the cases there ARE chemical problems)?
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Aug 16, 2008 2:54:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

Yep. That right there makes me just want to fly and jump onto his bandwagon of buying other random stuff to put in your bodies.

I dunno, maybe I'm too simple, but doesn't diet and exercise work anymore (Except in the cases there ARE chemical problems)?

Hard work? In MY life?
[Aug 16, 2008 3:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

What he does is just really state what is common sense that may not be obvious to some.

Eat organic. Walk an hour a day. Don't eat junk.

The conspiracy part was a fun read.

Antix says, "Nice one"

[Aug 16, 2008 4:17:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

Don't eat.

Problem solved.
Damagon
[Aug 16, 2008 7:25:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

Don't eat.

Problem solved.

He says that if you want to go that direction, it will have to be done for 30 days to lose abdominal and fat from other problem areas.

Is that even possible?

Antix says, "Nice one"

[Aug 16, 2008 7:30:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

Don't eat.

Problem solved.

He says that if you want to go that direction, it will have to be done for 30 days to lose abdominal and fat from other problem areas.

Is that even possible?

Considering I was obese until I decided to do just that, I'd say yes it is. Healthy? maybe not. But it's been almost 10 years since I have been anywhere above 190 pounds (I'm 6 feet) and I don't regret it.
Damagon
[Aug 16, 2008 7:39:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
okcorall

Fat people get on my wick, when they start moaning they can't stop eating a weeks worth of food in a day.

Just stop bloody eating, you feeble willed fools. They ruin their kids lives by turning them into the same sort of mass eater.

Thay are talking about taking away free healthcare for obese people, as its them inflicting the problems on themselves, over here. And too bloody right. I don't pay taxes to keep some mass eating obese person i dont know from dying and paying for surgery. Rip off Britain taxes us enough, and spend it on wars and red tape.
Hiding down south
[Aug 16, 2008 11:11:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brynhild

Not to mention if they can afford so much food, they can clearly afford their own health insurance.
Brynhild Skullsplitter - Not affiliated with the Ocean Masters or Three Rings.
Verlool wrote: 
For once, I agree with Brynhild!

[Aug 16, 2008 11:19:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Brynhild%20SkullSplitter [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates