• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2170 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Sharktailz

Theme-plotting assistance Reply to this Post

Come this September I will be running an all-oceans event. The rules, of course, will be held hostage by myself and will not be release to the public until the time comes (just to get your mind on the right track, think "green"). I have yet to decide on which theme the entries must follow, so I am coming to all of those who would like to help with my event plotting. If you could, please answer me the following:

If you were to enter a contest what would you most enjoy creating?
----------------------------------------
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Jul 14, 2008 8:56:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
BeHeader89

Re: Theme-plotting assistance Reply to this Post

You should definitely do a YPP related event, keep a theme around that. What to choose from YPP could be the pirates entering choice. As to which kind of event, such as writing/poetry/dolls I don't know. It all depends on the person I guess. I personally would enter any poetry or story event that pertains to something I know well. I would love to try to channel that inner Picasso and enter an art contest, but I always fail. To answer your question, I would love to create a writing contest and love to enter them. I have a passion for writing, so It depends on the event creator and the preference of the pirates entering.
Hunter Ocean: Intervention or Cewt.
[Jul 14, 2008 10:51:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Superb ideas! I very much like the thought of creating one of the events that you described. I am sorry for not being totally clear, but the event that I am going to be running in September is based around modeling/sculpting. Let clear up the question a bit:

If you were to enter an event where you had to sculpt a YPP-related object, what theme would you most enjoy?

[Jul 15, 2008 9:43:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Teuts

Aww.. I'm going to be away all September. What a shame.

For sculpting nothing could beat making a Y!PP ship (I'd also include sea monsters, since in effect they are Atlantean ships). In my mind the ultimate medium would be paper mache, which everyone has access to. Although clay/dirt isn't far behind.

Now I just hope it's delayed until October =D
Teuts on Viridian
Compulsive Event Enterer
Rabbitfish development
Avatar by Foilbeard (andman). Won in "Crabs, puffers, jellies, oh my!" competition.
[Jul 15, 2008 1:47:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~jteu004/ [Link]  Go to top 
BeHeader89

Sorry about that. I would agree with Teuts, I and most pirates I think would like to make a ship or an Atlantean Citadel or Monster. Both of these themes have many different original themes. There are many types of ships, which could give the pirate entering the choice of multiple ships. As we all know, Atlantis is a quite a fun experience. Most pirates love Atlantis, or the monsters anyway :) Once again there is different types of things in Atlantis. Citadels, Archelons, Gorgs, Triks. It would also be fun for a person to make the details on an Atlantean Monster. Most people just make an Atlantean Monster and would name it Gorgonyx or Triketos. For the people who look into detail, they could put the details of a Heavy Gorgonyx, Light Gorgonyx, or a Scout Gorgonyx. Many things to choose of two simple themes.

As for things to use in the contest. I guess anything could be allowed as long as it pertains to sculpting. Such as paper mache, stone, clay, dirt, etc. If the person has access to this it would be easier for them to enter, limiting it to only a few kinds of sculpting material could be hard for some people. I don't know where find a slab of stone to sculpt :P
Hunter Ocean: Intervention or Cewt.
[Jul 15, 2008 6:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

I wouldn't give a theme for a sculpting/modeling event. I'd leave it open-ended as a YPP related idea. That way a lot of the entries won't look the same as the entry before it. Leaving the idea up to the contestant will cause vast differences between entries and make them easier to judge in my mind. It would also add a whole new level of creativity.

EDIT: People could always use ice or wood to sculpt as well.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shorty_Jack at Jul 16, 2008 6:28:14 AM]
[Jul 16, 2008 6:26:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

You all make very excellent points! Thank you so much for all the help. The event will hopefully be up near the beginning of September and I wish to see you all there!

- Sharky

[Jul 16, 2008 12:23:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates