• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 212
Posts: 212   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36545 times and has 211 replies Next Thread
Shandra

VoodoOM Dolls [All winners announced] Reply to this Post

I'm sure many of you are familiar with my earlier U Giv Doll events. The one thing I have never allowed in them is voodoo style dolls. Well, it's high time we are allowed to 'poke some fun' at our beloved Ocean Masters (And Developers!)

Before we get into the rules and what-not I would like to give some information about what this event ISN'T. The title is VoodoOM Dolls but that is as close to 'voodoo' as this event gets. We aren't creating dolls to cast spells, inflict curses, bring luck and/or blessings and riches, confer with ancestral spirits or anything else that might be associated with voodoo practices. No sticking pins into Nemesis hoping she gets a splitting headache.

To follow that, I will now give some information on what this event IS. I have a fairly limiting set of materials allowed, which you will read more about below - this isn't so the created dolls look like voodoo dolls, but to tap into a new creative method currently unseen (that I know of!) in any Y!PP event before. The reason I went with the VoodoOM title is because the creations I am picturing in my mind remind me of voodoo style dolls. I'm sure the actual entries will blow my imagination to bits - and that is exactly what I am hoping for!

Without further ado, I present to you VoodoOM Dolls!

Pick one (or more) of the Ringers from the following list of 18 participants and create a doll in their likeness using the materials explained below.

The List:
Aphrodite Winners
Bia - Winners
Cephalopod - Winners
Cronus - Winners
Demeter - Winners
Endymion - Winners
Gaea - Winners
Galene - Winners
Hephaestus - Winners
Hera - Winners
Hermes - Winners
Hypnos - Winners
Mnemosyne - Winners
Nemesis - Winners
Oceanus - Winners
Poseidon - Winners
Prometheus - Winners
Thalia - Winners

Rules are as follows:

1. Dolls are to be made with 100% 'natural' ingredients. Examples: Sticks, grass, hay, pine needles, shells, feathers, fruit, veggies, grains, etc. If you are unsure about an item, ask! -No PMs please.
Edit: Feathers should be real yes. HOWEVER, I know they sell packaged feathers that come dyed in a wide variety of colors so Im going to say the feathers should be fairly natural in color. ie: white, black, and brown. If you happen to have a hot pink parrot at home and you want to use the feathers he/she has pulled please include a picture of your parrot with a card that has your pirate name and ocean on it. DO NOT PLUCK YOUR PET BIRD!!

2. Dolls are to be clothed but only in the following ways:
Rags. -Clothing items may NOT be sewn together. I am going for more of a 'wrapped and tied' look. Old towels, tshirts, and jeans are just a few examples to give you a general idea.
-OR-
Natural materials. Examples: corn husks, lettuce leaves, flower petals. Again, just a few examples to give you a general idea.

3. No paint or other colorizing materials are to be used.
Edit: You may use berries in their most natural form to crush onto/rub into your project for color. However, you MUST submit an additional picture with your entry showing your hand/s actually doing the berry work.

4. The "Cans and Can'ts" of adhesives and cohesion.
-Sewing- The big no-no. My main goal by limiting that is so these dolls don't have cute little sewn clothes (and aren't actually sewn themselves!)
-Glue- Feel free to use glue to help hold things together if you need to - so long as you don't have globs of glue showing on your final work.
-Tying/binding- I know holding a bunch of sticks together would be difficult without some allowance on tying. You can use small bits of string (thread, hemp, twine) to hold these sorts of things together. I don't want big amounts and if at all possible limit colors to natural ones.

5. Solidity! While your final entry doesn't have to stand alone it should at least hold together if you pick it up, otherwise it's not a doll but a neat arrangement of items.

6. You may enter for each Ringer only once, but you may enter for as many different Ringers as you would like. If you do enter for more than one, be prepared to show at least one group picture of all VoodoOM Dolls you create. (No 'dressing' one differently and entering it multiple times.)

7. Sorry mates, no pins allowed.

**Submission Guidelines**
1. You must submit at least 3 pictures for each entry - 1 of your raw materials, 1 of your doll without its clothing, and 1 finished product with its clothing. Each picture must have a card or small piece of paper with your pirate name and main ocean of play.
2. Go to the proper entry thread - linked below - to submit your entry. Please only put your final doll image in your post and links to the rest of your pictures.
3. You have until midnight (game time) on the 30th of May to have your entries submitted. So long as the forum date has you listed as the 30th or sooner, you are good to go.
4. If you do enter more than once feel free to post your group images here in the event thread instead of one of the entry threads.

Pay special attention to the entry threads!! There are 4 different ones.

Judging:
All participants will pick whom they wish to award prizes to and which prizes they want to give out. Some of them may choose to award their very own OM Doll trinkets, others may not. I would not expect anything 'greater' than trinket prizes but alas they each hold their own majik prize bags. There will be no familiars awarded in this event!

VoodoOM Dolls Entry Thread #1 (Aphrodite, Bia, Cephalopod, Cronus)
VoodoOM Dolls Entry Thread #2 (Demeter, Endymion, Gaea, Galene)
VoodoOM Dolls Entry Thread #3 (Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hypnos, Mnemosyne)
VoodoOM Dolls Entry Thread #4 (Nemesis, Oceanus, Poseidon, Prometheus, Thalia)
----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 26 times, last edit by Demeter at Jul 15, 2008 2:19:41 PM]
[May 4, 2008 11:32:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Re: VoodoOM Dolls Reply to this Post

This sounds like a lot of fun :D
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[May 4, 2008 11:51:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

Yay!
This time let's hope that I actually bother to finish my entry =.=
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kittycool at May 4, 2008 11:57:17 AM]
[May 4, 2008 11:56:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

:O

Nice event Taco! This is exciting, rawwr

It pays to live next to a forest! /e wanders off to pick at things

Can I use poison ivy leafs for their clothing? >:D lol jk >.>
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[May 4, 2008 11:58:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Can I use poison ivy leafs for their clothing? >:D lol jk >.>

LOL of course you can, but I am NOT responsible for any rashes incurred!
Taco - teh one and only

[May 4, 2008 11:59:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

I have a question about:

1. You must submit at least 3 pictures for each entry - 1 of your raw materials, 1 of your doll without its clothing, and 1 finished product with its clothing. Each picture must have a card or small piece of paper with your pirate name and main ocean of play.

I may not know when I start exactly what materials I am going to use. Can I take a picture of my best guess and maybe a picture of the craft room? (and the yard...)
Am I going to have to decide NOT to tie Gaea's dress closed with a length of actual ivy because I didn't take a picture of it in the beginning?
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[May 4, 2008 12:11:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I have a question about:

I may not know when I start exactly what materials I am going to use. Can I take a picture of my best guess and maybe a picture of the craft room? (and the yard...)
Am I going to have to decide NOT to tie Gaea's dress closed with a length of actual ivy because I didn't take a picture of it in the beginning?

Yes, your best guess will work. Ifn you end up using something you didnt have in your picture, just write a list with your entry.
Taco - teh one and only

[May 4, 2008 12:14:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

Augment with a list. Brilliant. Got it.
mwahahahaha!
This is going to be fun!
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[May 4, 2008 12:17:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
13thtaboo

As to the extent to which we can manipulate our raw materials, will carving count? By this I mean carving small pieces of wood, corn cobs, pinecones etc. :)
fohchoon kukie tellz joo: "He who laughs last is laughing at you." D:::
[May 4, 2008 12:22:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

As to the extent to which we can manipulate our raw materials, will carving count? By this I mean carving small pieces of wood, corn cobs, pinecones etc. :)

Absolutely. Please don't cut your fingers off.
Taco - teh one and only

[May 4, 2008 12:27:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
13thtaboo

Absolutely. Please don't cut your fingers off.

Yes'm.

Finally, a post-Exams event deadline. Yay fun! :::D
fohchoon kukie tellz joo: "He who laughs last is laughing at you." D:::
[May 4, 2008 12:50:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soccerbabe88

Yay! This sounds like so much fun! I'm so entering! xD
Scaarlett on Hunter Ocean
*Happy Pirate of Hunter Ocean*

Scaar to the lett!
[May 4, 2008 12:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Libelle

Hooray! This sounds like so much fun!
Kolibri of Viridian
Libelle on Hunter & Sage

[May 4, 2008 1:20:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Zorkable [Link]  Go to top 
soccerbabe88

Are fabrics and ribbons aloud to be used for their clothing?
Scaarlett on Hunter Ocean
*Happy Pirate of Hunter Ocean*

Scaar to the lett!
[May 4, 2008 1:55:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Butmummy

are we allowed to use felt tips?
Aphrodites of the Cobalt ocean

[May 4, 2008 1:56:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llamaluver

Gosh Taco, I think I hate you. You posted this just before bedtime on the last day of the long weekend, and that pear in the fruit bowl looks oh so tempting to turn into a doll.
Llamagirl on Hunter
Beautiful avatar by Albini!

You told Cronus, "So, what kinda snacks you got?"
Cronus tells you, "Small children"
Cronus tells you, "Sometimes coated in chocolate."
[May 4, 2008 2:00:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/no1_llama_luver [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Are fabrics and ribbons aloud to be used for their clothing?

Fabrics sorta, I listed the extent of how you can use fabric - basicly if its torn into rags. Ribbons, no.

are we allowed to use felt tips

Markers? No. (Correct me if I have the wrong understanding of felt tips.)

Gosh Taco, I think I hate you. You posted this just before bedtime on the last day of the long weekend, and that pear in the fruit bowl looks oh so tempting to turn into a doll.

Blame Apollo!
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at May 4, 2008 2:41:27 PM]
[May 4, 2008 2:40:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

OK, OK, I read the OP, but I was curious...

Can we use natural colorizing agents? Like rubbing on ash or charcoal, or berries or stuff?
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 4, 2008 2:44:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lovedaisy

can we use rocks and on the feathers do they have to be real
Cleite your friedliest pirate
[May 4, 2008 2:54:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

OK, OK, I read the OP, but I was curious...
Can we use natural colorizing agents? Like rubbing on ash or charcoal, or berries or stuff?

>.>
<.<
Leave it to Leif to ask a question I wasn't prepared to answer...

Official ruling: (adding to the OP)
You may use berries BUT only if you are willing to submit an additional picture showing your hand/s coloring whatever with said berries.

Additional rulings:
Im not so comfortable with ash/charcoal so going to say no there.
Or stuff.. not quite literal enough, I guess it would depend on what the 'or stuff' was.
Taco - teh one and only

[May 4, 2008 3:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scm621

Rags. -Clothing items may NOT be sewn together. I am going for more of a 'wrapped and tied' look. Old towels, tshirts, and jeans are just a few examples to give you a general idea.

I'm a bit confused about this rule...so, old towels, tshirts, and jeans ARE allowed, but sewn materials aren't? What's to stop someone from getting one of these items for the very purpose of using it in this doll? I don't get it.
Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
Currently unaffiliated
[May 4, 2008 3:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I'm a bit confused about this rule...so, old towels, tshirts, and jeans ARE allowed, but sewn materials aren't? What's to stop someone from getting one of these items for the very purpose of using it in this doll? I don't get it.

If someone wants to buy something just to tear up for their doll I cant stop them, I was recommending something most of us have on hand already. The main thing to keep in mind is the clothing on the dolls cant be sewn.

Part of the goal I had with this event was to make it so anyone could enter without feeling like they had to buy anything. The pirates with the best sewing abilities or the most sculpey obviously won't win here.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at May 4, 2008 3:25:53 PM]
[May 4, 2008 3:22:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Additional rulings:
Or stuff.. not quite literal enough, I guess it would depend on what the 'or stuff' was.

Generally stuff referred to things like dying with tea, or even with other vegetable preparations. Homemade of course. Boiling leaves or pecan hulls or whatnot. More or less, I'm just covering a few possibilities that sprung to mind.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 4, 2008 3:26:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Additional rulings:

Generally stuff referred to things like dying with tea, or even with other vegetable preparations. Homemade of course. Boiling leaves or pecan hulls or whatnot. More or less, I'm just covering a few possibilities that sprung to mind.

I believe I will keep the limit at crushed berries.
Taco - teh one and only

[May 4, 2008 3:29:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xqin

are we allow to use glue? or paper?or mud?
Dar on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xqin at May 4, 2008 8:18:38 PM]
[May 4, 2008 8:17:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

can we use rocks and on the feathers do they have to be real

Yes! >.> Go pluck your pet bird
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[May 4, 2008 9:08:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Taco, you rock! *plots and plans dollies*

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[May 4, 2008 9:17:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Libelle

The pirates with the best sewing abilities or the most sculpey obviously won't win here

But...what if it's natural Sculpey that I found growing in the park?.....

Haha. Just kidding. The Sculpey stays away for this one.
Kolibri of Viridian
Libelle on Hunter & Sage

[May 4, 2008 10:06:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Zorkable [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

The pirates with the best sewing abilities or the most sculpey obviously won't win here

But...what if it's natural Sculpey that I found growing in the park?.....

Haha. Just kidding. The Sculpey stays away for this one.

>.> Technically clay is part of the earth! Though I'm sure those pirates are quite capable of adapting to new techniques and other methods.
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[May 4, 2008 10:44:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
audrey3930

Are we allowed to use packaged modeling clay for the base of the dolls? Say you are using modeling clay you form the mold for the body and then stick raw materials onto it, because i tried getting clay from my garden but it was to hard to mold into the shape of the OMs body.

Edit: So my main question is

Am i allowed to use packaged clay for the body of the OM and then stick raw materials on top of it? =)

Thanks and nice event!
Typo on Viridian!

!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by audrey3930 at May 5, 2008 12:05:51 AM]
[May 5, 2008 12:03:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 212   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates