• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 33362 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
BHorror

Untrue Colors Reply to this Post

DISCLAIMER:The Three Rings does NOT support any problems in any form of the game when trying to edit graphics. If you experience glitches in anything from trying to do this, they can offer you no help. PLEASE keep in mind that this is in NO WAY supported by any members of The Three Rings! They recognize it, and allow them to be changed, but if you run into errors, please ask for technical support here, do not email The Three Rings, or petition the OMs about this.

The OMs wrote: 
After some debate we've resurrected your thread about helping color blind players with exchanging graphics.

As a clarification: Modifications of game files is against the Terms of Service and is explicitly forbidden. We only make an exception to allow visually impaired players unhindered gameplay. If you're in a medical situation where such a modification would help, you're required to obtain explicit confirmation from us that the modification is okay for your use. To do so, please contact us via the support form .

DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER: This Disclaimer was written by me, and with what little information I have been told by The Three Rings, if any member of The Three Rings would like to change it so that it fits The Three Rings FULL opinion on these edits, PLEASE do so, and note on the post that you have.

This thread will be separated into sections for easy to find information. It will go as follows.

Post 1: Introduction
Post 2: Tutorial
Post 3: File Listing
Post 4: Space Reservation (just in case)

Introduction

What is it?

Untrue Colors is a little project of mine, a service where I will recolor parts of the game for the people who need it. This is mostly targeted to colorblind pirates who are having troubles due to the unfair disadvantage of not being able to tell their game pieces apart. I do realize that some pirates may want fancy looking pieces for novelty, and I will grant these requests as well, just bare in mind that I will be doing edits that seem like someone needs them, before ones that just sound like you want them. If you have not read it already, please, refer to the disclaimer to see how The Three Rings stands on the editing of game pieces.

Who is doing it?

I personally will try to fulfill any request posted in this thread, but if anyone else who has the know how to edit an image would like to post their edits, that is welcome as well. Any edit posted here will be listed in my final thread for easy access, to stop people from asking for the same items. Creators will be credited, if not credited, they were created by me.

What is the goal?

The goal of this post is to make it easier for anyone having problems with the game that could be fixed with changing some pieces about in special ways. I plan on someday setting up a page on yppedia, and have already started testing some things out, but for now this will have to do.

Am I even allowed to do this?

Yes, you are allowed to change how the game looks for you. These edits will only effect your screen, and other players will not be able to see anything you change in your puzzle no matter what you try. Just keep in mind that if for any reason you have an error trying to do this, seek help on this post, not through The Three rings.

What won't/can't you do?

I will not/can not change how the pirates or main items of your game look. I am only focusing this project to the PUZZLES of the game. To clarify, I will and can change what color your sword fighting pieces are, but I will not change the way a Captains Hat looks when you are wearing it.

I would like to contact you outside of this post!

You can always PM me, but if that does not suit you, you can contact me through the following methods.

Puzzle Pirates: Horror on the Sage ocean
AIM: Horror The Cat
Yahoo: BloodiedHorror
MSN: ZSoulReaverZ@hotmail.com
Email BloodiedHorror@gmail.com

With that out of the way, just post here asking questions, requesting edits for any reasons, and I will do what I can! I will try to set up a tutorial ASAP, but until then I will be accepting requests even when it is not ready. Keep in mind if you would like to do an edit someone has asked for, feel free and I will still list you file in my file list, and I will give you credit for doing it. Have fun everyone!

Edit: Clarified the OM policy about game file modifications.
----------------------------------------
Horror from Emerald and Obsidian
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Cronus at Sep 21, 2010 7:23:42 AM]
[Aug 28, 2007 8:56:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Re: Untrue Colors Reply to this Post

Tutorial

--I promise I will write a much better detailed tutorial with pictures later, but I'm going to write something simple for now so people have the idea, Also, I don't own a Mac! Someone is going to have to write a Mac tutorial for me! Linux fans should know enough of how to do this on their own.--

I know this looks like a lot of text, but I'm just explaining useless things. It's really only a few clicks. Important stuff is in bold.

What are we going to be doing?

To explain it simply, when you installed Puzzle Pirates to your computer, it came with a series of picture files, many of which include the pieces used during the many puzzles of the game. We are going to locate those files, and replace them with our custom images, so that when the game reads them, it will display your custom items.

That sounds hard! What if I mess up and can't play anymore?

It's not hard at all! If you ever have any problems, post them! We will help you. In no way will this EVER make it so your game will not let you play! Maybe some things would show up wrong if you messed up really bad, but it's all easily fixable! If worst comes to worst, and for some unknown reason you are far too confused to follow instructions we can hand you, you can easily reset any changes by simple reinstalling the game, this will replace all the files you are missing, but also overwrite any changes you had made.

Sounds Good! How do I start?

First off, you need to locate where you have puzzle pirates installed. 99% of you are lazy and installed it to the spot it first suggested to be installed to, or knew that it's always a good idea to do that to find it later. The rest of you probably know enough about computers to not need help getting by this hump.

Now, on Windows XP, you need to enter your start menu and find the My Computer button(Usually found on the desktop of older windows versions). Inside, you will need to open the thing with (c:) at the end, your "C Drive". Inside you will find just about everything in your computer you ever need to worry about. Once inside, you will see a nifty folder called Program Files. This is a standard place where all programs will be installed to, so depending on how much junk you slap inside your computer, this could be rather full with more folders. No need to worry, just find the one labeled "Three Rings Design" and we are in business.

If that is too hard for you to follow, fear not! IF YOU ARE LOST, simple click your start menu and click "Run.." Using this little gadget, we can open any folder in your computer if you enter the correct path, generally the path we are talking at is as follows.

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design

To read paths like this, just picture each \ as a separation of folder names, easy enough to understand, right?

Now, once inside Three Rings Design, You will see any Three Rings programs you currently have installed there. You are only worried about opening Puzzle Pirates. There are many folders in here and you could get lost, so just try to open the folders I list so we can get ready. Luckily for you, there is a section in which all of the puzzles are separated into easy to navigate folders, so lets get there! Once inside Puzzle Pirates You want to open the following folders in this order.

rsrc, bundles, media

You did it! And here is that helpful direct path if you got lost again.

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media

You Lied! That was hard! Now what?

If you think that was hard, then maybe this will be a tad difficult for you, because all this is is simple directions. Don't back down on me now! You can see that each of these folders in here has a very awkward name, but if you click each one slowly and look through, you can get the idea that yohoho-puzzle-sword is Sword Fighting, yohoho-puzzle-boxing is rumble, and so on.

This next and final step is the same for just about any folder. As soon as you click your folder of choice, such as yohoho-puzzle-sword , you will see several folder names.

De: German specific images, for text on the puzzles. "Schwertkampf!"
En: English specific images, for text on the puzzles. "Sword Fighting!"
Media: Your destination! The main files used to run sword fighting.
META-INF: A file used to run the game, don't worry about it :P

Once you enter the Media section like you are supposed to, you will be forced to follow a row of single folders until you hit the jackpot of all the sword fighting pieces. If you can't see the images too well, right click the blank spot on the folder and change the view to thumbnails, so that you can see which images are pictures. And go find the ones for the image you desire to change! Lets use piece_swords_red as an example.

It's simple. I suggest making a backup folder to pop this bad boy in on your desktop just in case you want to change it back, or you could always download the file off my Sword Fighting piece list, in this case anyway. In any rate you just need to get that file out of that folder, and put a new one in it's place. It can be anything as long as is the same size and file type, like every Piece I have on my chart in my third post. Once that file is in the folder, right click it and rename it to have the same name as the file you are replacing. In this case, it's piece_swords_red (some of you will see piece_swords_red.png if you have tags on, which is fine, just make sure to include the .png at the end if you saw it, don't worry if not)

The very second you do that and save, You are done! Congratulations, you have edited your image! Keep in mind if you forget to change the name correctly, or leave the file out, the piece will just simply be invisible the next time you load the game! Log out and fix your error in the folder for it reset back to what you want it to be.

I didn't get it!

Post your problems here! I will keep my eye open for people in need constantly, and if your error seems like a common one, I can add it to the tutorial! Also any feedback on making my tutorial more clear and helpful is appreciated!
[Edit 3 times, last edit by BHorror at Aug 29, 2007 2:24:52 AM]
[Aug 28, 2007 8:56:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Filez

Sword Fighting

Piece Color changes: http://puzzle-pirates.philsmith300.com/coloured-pieces/Sword%20Fight/
On this link you will find a chart listing many possible colors to be used in Sword Fighting. Simple click on the item you would like to have and you be sent to another picture. Save this picture to your computer and use it to replace your game file as directed in the tutorial.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BHorror at Aug 29, 2007 2:23:09 AM]
[Aug 28, 2007 8:56:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Reserved Space! Just in case!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BHorror at Aug 28, 2007 9:54:23 AM]
[Aug 28, 2007 8:57:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Davesmason

Thank you. Really, thank you, excellent job.

It's been a long time since I've seen something as thoughtful as this on the forums. I am not personally colourblind (To the best of my knowledge) But I have friends who are. This will help immensly. =) Thank you.
[Aug 28, 2007 11:38:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Thank you. Really, thank you, excellent job.

It's been a long time since I've seen something as thoughtful as this on the forums. I am not personally colourblind (To the best of my knowledge) But I have friends who are. This will help immensly. =) Thank you.

No problem. I have been doing it for some time in the Sage parley as a test to see how it would go, and it was pretty much a success, so I moved it here for everyone to take advantage of.

I've already done a few key changes to some puzzle to help some people be able to play, and found other people who can help me edit files as well. I just need some spare time to write the tutorial on HOW to change the files, but I hope some people already know.
[Aug 28, 2007 11:41:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FallenTree

Yeah, this is really awesome. It probably ought to get stickied (and maybe renamed for clarity).

I don't need the service myself, but it's very thoughtful of you to provide it.
Bullettime on Hunter Ocean
Retired? Yeah, let's go with that.
[Aug 28, 2007 12:11:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Oooh. I want to have a colourblind tournament.

Everyone replaces their swordfighting colours with white and you have to go off of the shapes. That'd be hardcore.
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Aug 28, 2007 12:26:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
Swordblade01

Wow I came up with this idea before, but never came up with doing it for other people. If I get bored tomarrow I might see if I can swordfight with all of them blue :p
Swordblade on Cobalt

"Think of it like a Twinkie. If you bite into the yellow part of a Twinkie and there is no white cream filling, it SUCKS!" -Ryan Higa

Dispite my forum join date, I joined aug 25 05
[Aug 28, 2007 7:54:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/demonsatdusk [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Everyone replaces their swordfighting colours with white and you have to go off of the shapes. That'd be hardcore.

What's really neat, is you can change the particular image file while the game is running (The client, not the SF puzzle) because it doesn't load the image until you start the puzzle up.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Aug 28, 2007 7:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Wow I came up with this idea before, but never came up with doing it for other people. If I get bored tomarrow I might see if I can swordfight with all of them blue :p

Both of you are missing the point. The idea isn't to choose a specific set such as white or blue, but to mix and match if you have trouble telling the pieces apart. Sure, you CAN put them to the same color for fun, but a few seconds in you will quickly notice how impossible it starts to get. Don't do any major stakes with edits you haven't tried out already guys.

What's really neat, is you can change the particular image file while the game is running (The client, not the SF puzzle) because it doesn't load the image until you start the puzzle up.

If you change them while not in the game it will work, but if you do it and mess up, enjoy invisible pieces that wont reset until you close your client. That should really go on a list of known issues I guess... In any case, it's always better to change your stuff when you AREN'T on the game, just in case you slip up and delete something important without noticing.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BHorror at Aug 28, 2007 10:48:40 PM]
[Aug 28, 2007 10:48:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Well, no. I get the point.

I'm just thinking of a secondary application.
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Aug 29, 2007 3:21:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

I'm Baaaaaccckkk.

Open for business, send in requests here :P
[Jan 29, 2008 8:32:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bishopk

I'm Baaaaaccckkk.

I love you.

...er, your work. I've theorized about expanding this, including different files and such. In fact:

Or something of the like. Anyway, it's great to see this.
Bishopk on Meridian
unretired former loser
I used to have famous friends
Sea Change 4 life
[Jan 31, 2008 3:48:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

I'm Baaaaaccckkk.

I love you.

...er, your work. I've theorized about expanding this, including different files and such. In fact:

Or something of the like. Anyway, it's great to see this.

Those types of edits must be approved from OOO before you use them, otherwise they are not allowed.

This thread is for changing puzzles for colorblind pirates who cant see certain puzzles and thus have a handicap. If that is your case and reasoning for changing a file, it is allowed.

Edit: Still can't spell handicap.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BHorror at Jan 31, 2008 9:33:19 PM]
[Jan 31, 2008 9:30:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Gah, I told myself I would be able to do this without help.

When I try and open the Yohoho Puzzle-Sword thing I get this error: Failed to load Main-Class manifest atrribute from C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho puzzle-sword.jar

Heh?
Ship on Sage
[Jan 31, 2008 9:58:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
padore

make sure you name the files correctly ie piece_swords_aqua.......
Padore
Nemesis "Oh dear Zeus!" "Next time you ask me if I want to hear something, I'm saying no."
Nemesis "And if I don't, remind me to say no."
Padore " Awwww"
[Feb 1, 2008 11:43:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cannonballpi

Gah, I told myself I would be able to do this without help.

When I try and open the Yohoho Puzzle-Sword thing I get this error: Failed to load Main-Class manifest atrribute from C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho puzzle-sword.jar

Don't open the .jar file-type, try opening the folder

C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-puzzle-sword
Back for a bit..
[Feb 1, 2008 1:32:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

This thread is for changing puzzles for colorblind pirates who cant see certain puzzles and thus have a handicap. If that is your case and reasoning for changing a file, it is allowed.

See also thread #4, as well as others. I've seen recolorations brought up a number of times, especially in bilge.

Your "chart of sword colors" is really, really nice, btw.

As far as I know, and it was discussed in 4, we're also allowed to tint the silvers, and that's been mentioned and posted elsewhere. (Some people can't tell a left-curving silver from a right-curving silver. Myself included.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 3, 2008 7:29:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
scm621

Ahh, very neat. I am color deficient (the more technically correct term...true color blindness is much, much rarer but does still happen), and for the most common type of color deficiency/color blindness, the only particularly difficult puzzle is swordfighting, mainly with the green and yellow pieces, which I can only tell apart by the shapes on them (which, thankfully, are very different...if the blue piece shape was on the...um--one of those pieces, look at them, it's easy to tell which I'm referring to, I don't know which color it is--it would be VERY difficult to differentiate).

The only other puzzle that most color deficient people may have a distinct disadvantage with is alchemistry, although that one isn't nearly as hard as swordfighting. I find them to be at least actually distinguishable, although still not easy and I often resort to checking symbols to make sure I'm right before setting up a board. Besides, you can take your time in alchemistry anyway if you want to.
Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
Currently unaffiliated
[Feb 4, 2008 8:44:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Your "chart of sword colors" is really, really nice, btw.

I put a very large amount of effort into that chart, just so people could strongly see the aim of this with a solid example.

Due to the amount of praise that particular chart is getting, I am considering doing more charts for other puzzles, but only one at a time. The only exception to this case is bilge, due to the difficulty in making easily selectable sets with those pieces. The only thing I could do is use different shades of one color and host them up, but I personally am not too good with shades and making them stand out well. To this point I just did bilge to requests, and I shall continue that.

However, games like Sailing, Rumble, Carpentry, and Duty Nav should be easy. Question is which first? It all depends on which puzzle people seem to have the most trouble with, so please, Let me know your thoughts!

If I don't get too many suggestions too quickly I will start with Rumble, since it does have the most pieces, and has a higher chance of being bothersome to players.
[Feb 7, 2008 7:54:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
andman

Is there anyway that a Mac user can do this? Ever since I saw Dunny's sprinkling recolors, I want to try that out.
Iollipop!
ooh baby baby.
[Feb 7, 2008 8:03:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Is there anyway that a Mac user can do this?

I would not doubt it, however I do not own a mac, so I personally could not write a tutorial for them to do this.
[Feb 7, 2008 11:26:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
andman

I just figured it out on my own, if anyone needs help with color changing on Macs, just ask me. (:
Iollipop!
ooh baby baby.
[Feb 8, 2008 12:33:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
EscapingWaco

I would like to try doing this, but unfortunately can't follow the steps because I no longer have a three rings folder. Everything is run through java, there is no three ring, yohoho or puzzle pirates folder that I can find. I tried running the direct location which also failed. I'm not sure if this is because of the new updated client or because of Windows vista, but I'd appreciate any help.
Jakksparrow tells you, "Oh yea that’s right drown the midget with the invisble ring"
[Feb 8, 2008 12:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/15277557    allysis1401 [Link]  Go to top 
demonicsage

I use Vista as a dual boot OS, my YPP folder is located at....C:\Users\<computer name>\AppData\Roaming\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates.

And ye will need to have all folders showing, since Appdata is a hidden folder.
~Demonic~
Wandering around sage somewhere
[Feb 8, 2008 2:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

I just figured it out on my own, if anyone needs help with color changing on Macs, just ask me. (:

Post a little tutorial and I will add it to the first post.

and at the same time I'll add that info about vista when I get the spare time, seeing as microsoft is pushing vista onto people who don't know too much about computers and would have trouble finding the differences themselves.

XP for life D:
[Feb 8, 2008 3:45:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fatfriar

BUMP
I'm part of the 99% lazy people, but I can't find the Three Rings Design folder. And when I did a search on it, nothing came up...
Ybbald of the Hunter Ocean
Retired or something
[Feb 26, 2008 7:31:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jacob1337

when ever i get to my 000 folder it doesnt give me a change option just uninstal option :( ? why
aco, yo mama
[Mar 27, 2008 6:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

BUMP
I'm part of the 99% lazy people, but I can't find the Three Rings Design folder. And when I did a search on it, nothing came up...

when ever i get to my 000 folder it doesnt give me a change option just uninstal option :( ? why

What are your operating systems?

Also jacob it sounds to me like your in the add remove programs option for some reason... which is far from correct.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BHorror at Mar 27, 2008 8:03:00 AM]
[Mar 27, 2008 8:00:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates