• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 966
Posts: 966   Pages: 33   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 90947 times and has 965 replies Next Thread
5jason

Re: 2008 Egg Render Test and Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

----------------------------------------
Ownage
Like my Avatar? Have 10k floating around?Click here NOW

Proud SO of the crew Rising storm
Prince of Deadman's Vengeance
[Jan 24, 2008 12:40:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

5jason:
~Image file exceeds the specified size.
~Image file does not wrap properly.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shorty_Jack at Jan 24, 2008 12:46:33 PM]
[Jan 24, 2008 12:44:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Thanks to Klostro, I've got a link that may just behave itself:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fx4wnyed1d4

This should give anyone the streamlined egg file I prepared.

It should be simple to use, and it should work in any Max version 7 or later:

1. Get the file, and maybe save a backup copy of it, just in case.
2. Open it up, and OK or Continue past any error messages.
3. Hit "m" or find the Material Editor button, and go the the first (upper left) shader.
4. Point that shader (via the Bitmap fields; it should be pretty obvious, but if not, I can make some screenies) to your texture.
5. Hit F9 to render, and you're set. (You can save that render with the little disk icon.)

Fiddling with anything else may well mess up the renders, but if you're just testing things, this should be streamlined enough that you don't need to monkey around. If something is broken or breaks, I'm happy to troubleshoot.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 12:44:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

(I use 3DS max v.6)

Yar! Too bad I can't use your model to test it, Silver.

Anyway, the model I'm using works fine. I'll just help out with the renders using it.

Here's Dexla's re-render:

They look great!

*edit: I realize that they are not the official 50x50 size. I am using what is directly outputed by my render. But looking at the images from the last 2 years, there doesn't seem to be a uniform size to their eggs anyway.

*next edit: They are now 50x50 w/ transparent background and the same size as SJ and Silver's renders.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Nordenx at Jan 24, 2008 10:24:38 PM]
[Jan 24, 2008 1:16:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I guess you could try it with 6. There shouldn't be anything in the file that is specific to the later versions, it's just that I used 7 to save it.

But aye, it's the egg size that I've locked in for renders in my streamlined file. The Ringers use a very specific, custom camera and resolution to get the egg size that we used last year, so I tied the renderer to that camera for simplicity's sake.

For testing, though, there's no reason to be fussy about it. Some details do get lost at certain sizes, but the difference between your eggs, Nordenx, and my eggs is pretty negligible for what we want to see. :)

Man, I wish I had a full legal version of any Max or Maya (from the last four years or so) at home. Then again, my wife probably prefers that I don't, since I'd be tinkering with it a lot. ;P
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 1:25:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Thanks Nordenx!! Both for the re-rendering and the compliment! ;-)
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 24, 2008 1:39:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Yer welcome Dex!

Okay, cool. Thanks, Silver! I just noticed that my eggs are a little bit bigger than yours... uh... that sounds kinda weird.

I tried the model butmax 6 just wouldn't open it (beeps, no error).

I brought home my max from my previous IT business that I co-owned & founded. When the partnership dissolved, we divvy up whatever assets we had, I took home most of my equipment & applications. Now, I can't even afford to upgrade.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Nordenx at Jan 24, 2008 1:43:19 PM]
[Jan 24, 2008 1:40:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Okay, cool. Thanks, Silver! I just noticed that my eggs are a little bit bigger than yours... uh... that sounds kinda weird.

*chucklesnort* :D

I tried the model butmax 6 just wouldn't open it (beeps, no error).

Hmm... I'll see if I can do anything about that. It might have to wait until tomorrow, though.

I brought home my max from my previous IT business that I co-owned & founded. When the partnership dissolved, we divvy up whatever assets we had, I took home most of my equipment & applications. Now, I can't even afford to upgrade.

I feel your pain; I'm still working with Photoshop Elements 2.0 at home, but CS2 at work. I miss my layer masks and groups. :(
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 1:47:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Silveransom wrote: 
For testing, though, there's no reason to be fussy about it. Some details do get lost at certain sizes, but the difference between your eggs, Nordenx, and my eggs is pretty negligible for what we want to see. :)

Apollo wrote: 
If you win, your design may be rotated for the final egg.
So, this explains why the eggs are different image sizes, but technically the same model size, in the furni section of the YPPedia. (is the portrait eggs a different size/image from the furni eggs?)

I'm using the same camera that the original file uses to render but since I am using default renderers and not the plugin - this may account for the slightly zoomed scale or larger eggs rendered from my PC.

I noticed that the Gupster compiled a collection/list of rendered eggs and they are uniform in size. Will someone help us do that this time as well? If so, I'd like my eggs to conform to a uniform scale/size.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Jan 24, 2008 2:29:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

So, this explains why the eggs are different image sizes, but technically the same model size, in the furni section of the YPPedia. (is the portrait eggs a different size/image from the furni eggs?)

Yes to all, so far as I know.

I'm using the same camera that the original file uses to render but since I am using default renderers and not the plugin - this may account for the slightly zoomed scale or larger eggs rendered from my PC.

The Illustrate! plugins shouldn't mess with the size. Are you rendering at 640x480 with the 48.6 camera?

I noticed that the Gupster compiled a collection/list of rendered eggs and they are uniform in size. Will someone help us do that this time as well? If so, I'd like my eggs to conform to a uniform scale/size.

That's what my streamlined file is for. I'll be helping where I can, but so far SJ has done the most. At some point, I'm pretty sure that someone will get each entry rendered at standardized size. I'll make it my personal mission, if nothing else. ;D
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 2:36:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Are you rendering at 640x480 with the 48.6 camera?

Aye. As far as I know, I didn't change any of the camera's setting when I cleaned up the material editor. Here's a screenie:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/Nordenx/puzzle%20pirates/screenshot_eggrender_01.jpg

I'll re-render & re-upload the eggs of those I helped out when I get squared out and standardized the sizes with yours & SJ's. I'll help you guys out if ye decide to make a collection of renders like Guppy did.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Jan 24, 2008 3:50:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Domokun:
(There wasn't really a difference after the render)

You're an angel, thank you. *runs off to completely redo his egg*
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Jan 24, 2008 3:54:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Ah! I think I know what it is. I had the same problem last year. Try changing the "Time Output" to Single, instead of Range. For whatever reason, the Range render was picking up a different frame (it needs to be on frame 0... it looks like it is, but for whatever reason the Range render doesn't work right). It took me forever, with lots of trial and error, to pick that one out. Nemo even took time to tell me that everything else was right.

*cheers for Nemo*

And... if that doesn't do it, I'll keep trying to make a 6 version of my file.

You could also turn off the Displacement option, but I don't think that makes a difference.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 3:56:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

Davsbrander's Egg:

Pretty good, stars are a bit stretched though.

Thanks =)

/e wanders back to fix the stars =)
Davsbrander
[Jan 24, 2008 4:18:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

Was playing around. Quite necessary with my head-to-toe red wardrobe. I get called a strawberry :D

Although really, one fruit egg is quite enough. >.>
[Jan 24, 2008 4:28:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Ah! I think I know what it is. I had the same problem last year. Try changing the "Time Output" to Single, instead of Range. For whatever reason, the Range render was picking up a different frame (it needs to be on frame 0... it looks like it is, but for whatever reason the Range render doesn't work right). It took me forever, with lots of trial and error, to pick that one out. Nemo even took time to tell me that everything else was right.

*cheers for Nemo*

And... if that doesn't do it, I'll keep trying to make a 6 version of my file.

You could also turn off the Displacement option, but I don't think that makes a difference.
Tried it Silver. It's still giving me a larger egg. I think, I'll wait for your max 6 version of the file.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Jan 24, 2008 4:32:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Was playing around. Quite necessary with my head-to-toe red wardrobe. I get called a strawberry :D

Although really, one fruit egg is quite enough. >.>

Needs some more work lass. I took the liberty of trying it out with the skin flipped vertically (to match the strawberry shape) but it's still lacking something. More seed spots and adjust the green stuff perhapse? But I have to admit that it's a cute concept. ^_^

Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Nordenx at Jan 24, 2008 8:29:43 PM]
[Jan 24, 2008 4:45:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Tenn, you'll need to remember that the egg skin stretches considerably in the middle.

Nordenx,
I'm having trouble tacking down either a version of Max 6 or a proper exporter. I have exported a .3ds version of it, but that seems flaky at best. I do have another hack solution for you, though.

Right click on the camera name for the 48.6 camera, and choose Select Camera. From here, check the translation values against these (rotation should be fixed by the camera target - the egg - but position can skew things still):

PosX: 41.503
PosY: -39.568
PosZ: 68.422

That should get the camera in the right place, then check its lens value over in the right rollout area. It should be 43.456.

The FOV should be 45 degrees, and the Target Distance should be 85.723

...I hope that makes sense, and that it helps. I'll keep looking for other solutions.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 4:55:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Tenn, you'll need to remember that the egg skin stretches considerably in the middle.

Nordenx,
I'm having trouble tacking down either a version of Max 6 or a proper exporter. I have exported a .3ds version of it, but that seems flaky at best. I do have another hack solution for you, though.

Right click on the camera name for the 48.6 camera, and choose Select Camera. From here, check the translation values against these (rotation should be fixed by the camera target - the egg - but position can skew things still):

PosX: 41.503
PosY: -39.568
PosZ: 68.422

That should get the camera in the right place, then check its lens value over in the right rollout area. It should be 43.456.

The FOV should be 45 degrees, and the Target Distance should be 85.723

...I hope that makes sense, and that it helps. I'll keep looking for other solutions.

That seems to have worked, although I'm not sure if it is smaller now than the Rhodin egg ye posted earlier...
- compared to my previous render, the new render looks so puny. :P
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Jan 24, 2008 5:24:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

The border makes it look bigger. And aye, they are small little beasties. :(
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jan 24, 2008 5:37:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

They're adorable, especially the blonde, well-tanned ones. >.>

Here's a Rat Egg with smaller ears. I'll probably never see that tail, but it was good edge aligning practice since I can't use the Simple filters in Inkscape. I added a tuft of hair because the top of the egg was looking bald. This isn't a Schtroumphe egg.

A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jan 24, 2008 5:51:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

Wow I didn't think it stretched that much! :o Well, now I know :D

...*goes to sekretly google Fabergé egg*
[Jan 24, 2008 6:12:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Rhodin:

EDIT: I could've sworn I've seen another post....

however, I didn't have time to check if it wrapped properly or not.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shorty_Jack at Jan 24, 2008 6:31:40 PM]
[Jan 24, 2008 6:28:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

Okay, so this isn't a strawberry.

If the ship's too small, I might put the Baby Finius portrait up front since it doesn't have too many details anyhow.
[Jan 24, 2008 7:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cloverwood

A few adjustments...

And some new ideas...

Thanks in advance.
TheRunt (Cerulean)
[Jan 24, 2008 8:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Now that I'm reasonably certain that I won't lose ZOMGrats that badly, let's get cracking on some Easter Egg entries. >.>
First up is Y!PP's hottest NPC couple:

I'm sure every second I spent on that chainmail is wasted, ditto for the kilt. I only added his tattoo because otherwise, he'd be totally well-tanned from rendered top to bottom...not that that's necessarily a bad thing. >.>
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jan 24, 2008 8:51:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Okay, so this isn't a strawberry.

If the ship's too small, I might put the Baby Finius portrait up front since it doesn't have too many details anyhow.

Still a bit off methinks?

Oh, BTW lass, your image file is a jpeg not a .png. It works as a sample render but I believe the ringers prefer it to be in .png format.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Jan 24, 2008 8:57:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enpine

I hope this one works

[Jan 24, 2008 9:04:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

Oooh, one day I'll get it right! Darn curves and warping and stretching- I shall tame you yet!

And that's one nice (though, not tan) Brigand Queen :O
[Jan 24, 2008 9:10:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Rhodin's:

TheRunt's:
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Jan 24, 2008 9:45:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 966   Pages: 33   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates