• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 521
Posts: 521   Pages: 18   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 57092 times and has 520 replies Next Thread
starrarose

Re: Opinions on the New Skellies Reply to this Post

49 skellies, 100 people outside trying to fight them. This was a GREAT event idea. *patiently waits for them to die again so she can have a shot*
----------------------------------------
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Oct 25, 2007 12:13:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nicksput

The old system was unfair, granted.

The new system creates a new type of unfairness, though.

Winning a skellie fray is not a solo endeavour, you rely upon the people who are fighting with you to win or lose the fight, and if you did your best but the round was lost, you definitely feel that you should be able to participate in subsequent rounds.

So how about weighting the odds of being selected slightly in favour of those who did well in earlier rounds.

Something like this:

BaseChance = Skellies / ( trunc(Skellies / 2) * (CurrentRound - 1) + Players)

YourChance = BaseChance * TopFrays

Where:

- BaseChance is the chance that anyone has to enter a fray
- Skellies is, of course, the number of skellies
- Players is the number of humans trying to get into the fray
- TopFrays is the number of times you finished in the top half of a fray
- YourChance is TopFrays times BaseChance

This would improve the chances of people who did well in earlier fights to get into subsequent ones, but wouldn't lock out people who hadn't gotten in before.

Cheers,
Nick.
Nicksput on the Meridian Ocean
Pouncing Piranhas

Akifutomaki on the Meridian Ocean
Conspiracy
[Oct 25, 2007 5:53:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markus1

After playing extensively with the new system last nite, I have to say - I like it, I like it a lot.

And I think it actually adds to skelie/zombie fights, not takes away from it -- especally in the first fight.

Old way:
Wait until fray is completely full, then start, then use the "fast click method" for any later fights.

New way:
Take a chance on starting the fight early (i.e. more skelies/zombies than pirates) to insure that you have a spot in that first fight. Participants in later fights are randomly picked to insure fairness.

If you think about it, this should make everyone happy. "Skelie/Zombie hunters" should get into the first fight (as they're more likely to find them first), and if they're any good at skelie/zombie fights-- they should win. If they're not -- the mob gets their shot with the next one.

I agree... I have only gotten in 1 of 25 frays I tried for... meanwhile a guy with legendary stats has gotten into every singe one he's tried BUT ONE! Random my butt- it's weighted by stats.

Defineatly not weighted toward higher stats. I'm Master in SF and Distinguished in Rumble -- and I've had no problem getting in.
Zingman

Siochan Leat -- Carpe Noctem -- forever Midnight
[Oct 25, 2007 6:02:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killercat771

Please revert to the old system. It "ensures" you have a fast enough connection to not lag out of a fight. Yesterday there were 27 skellies on Kashgar (Sage ocean) and 178 players on the island trying to get in. Every fray at least, at least 1 player dcd/lagged out. In one fray 5 lagged out/dcd that made it in the fray. (I have a picture somewhere of it but can't find it at the moment.) And of course it took like an hour to beat them. (Never got in once though being in the top 20 on clicking to join in the fray everytime. Others getting in multiple times.)

And would someone explain to me how in a "random" system that 4 people can get in a 9 skellie fray with 70 people on the island all 5 frays that it took to kill them, yet people like me get in the first one because we got there fast and no in another one? (Random is in quotes because I have yet to see a computer program that was random. And from my knowledge one can not be created to be random.)
Killercat
3rd Party for hire.

[Oct 25, 2007 6:14:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yoved08

Nothing's broken (from the probabilistic standpoint). You just got hit by Murphy's Law :)

probably the same law that drives the PRNG of poker??

/me stops before turning this into a poker thread..

anyhow, i'm not sure you are invoking Murphy's Law properly.

""If anything can go wrong, it will, and usually at the most inopportune moment"

An example of Murphy's Law would be working in retail and being in a dead empty store for over an hour. And you have dinner plans that start 30 minutes after your normal closing time. And then, 3 minutes before you turn off the lights, and lock the doors (on time so you make your dinner plans), a horde of people come rushing through your door.

Murphy's Law is better applied when a situation is 50/50. It will either go as planned, or Murphy will strike on a coin flip.

This is not a Murphy's Law situation. This is a randomization issue that is not, by assumed design, supposed to go your way 50% of the time. I'm sure the threshold, over time, will be much lower. Say, I don't know, 25%??

However, I'm sitting on a nice little 'random' acceptance number of less than 7%. Yet, I see a bevy of pirates that continue to be selected fray after fray.

That is not fun. For them it is, I guess. Nice little role reversal, huh. Fix something in a manner that just reverses and/or creates an entire different subset of disenfranchised. Can't wait to see how that all plays out.

I'll be tracking my percentage closely. If I creep up into a more acceptable range (say 20%), then I'll retool my stance a little.

But, we are talking about a company that employees a PRNG that only shuffles 3/4 of the deck in poker. I'm not truly surprised with the 'biased' randomness that is showing thus far.

/e shrugs, walks off, and goes to fight the zombies...
Yoved
Captain of These Go To Eleven

Arielmac made my avatar :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by yoved08 at Oct 25, 2007 6:34:57 AM]
[Oct 25, 2007 6:26:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yoved08

And would someone explain to me how in a "random" system that 4 people can get in a 9 skellie fray with 70 people on the island all 5 frays that it took to kill them...

double post... soz..

you mean, a group of people that are operating at 12% odds and actually hitting 80% of the time??

smells like etarip rekop to me...
Yoved

[Oct 25, 2007 6:34:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevie_boy_8

And would someone explain to me how in a "random" system that 4 people can get in a 9 skellie fray with 70 people on the island all 5 frays that it took to kill them...

double post... soz..

you mean, a group of people that are operating at 12% odds and actually hitting 80% of the time??

smells like etarip rekop to me...

The edit button is your friend
Man lover to Tempestblitz.
Ochubb Wrote

Step one to getting a new island for the Antheas ring is actually knowing how to drop a war chest. Which by the way, as seen by today , you fail at.

[Oct 25, 2007 6:36:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I'm rather enjoying the new system. I fought in several frays yesterday, and was occasionally rejected as well (except for the cluster-scup at Eta where I was consistently rejected (but what do you expect for 150 people trying for 24 spots?)). Seems to work fairly well.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Oct 25, 2007 6:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yoved08

The edit button is your friend

whu?? and miss out on a chance for post count??

you silly crazy...

edit...

oh, and if it hasn't already been mentioned..

12th fray on, skellies turn into a PoE sink (weeeeee).. Not to mention the increased risks of 'reboot' item/PoE wager theft...

what are the chances that the PoE reward in the winning fray will include an even distribution of all PoEs collected from the previous frays??

If it does already, I'm not aware (I've only been in 2 frays since the change).

and, Rummy.. made something for ya...

Yoved

[Edit 1 times, last edit by yoved08 at Oct 25, 2007 7:19:39 AM]
[Oct 25, 2007 7:04:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

If there are 32 people trying to get in a 16 person fray, and they all make 5 attempts, and we assume strictly random results (a true Bayesian collective)
16 will fail the first time.
8 of those will fail again the second time.
4 of those will fail again the third time.
2 of those will fail again the 4th time.
1 of those will fail *all five times*. On average. (Likewise, one person will have been in all five frays.)

The frays tend to be bigger than that, and the odds tend to be worse. If it's 100 people for a 40 person fray, by the end of five tries you should see on average about 8 people who never got in a fray, and still only one who got in all five.

It's not biased--your brain simply hasn't evolved to handle random events well, probably because it's much more important to be good at analyzing patterns from a survival standpoint. Even if you analyze random events perfectly, they're still random. The net effect appears to be that the human brain finds patterns where there aren't any. The results being complained about here are the *expected results* of unbiased randomness. They don't require any crazy weighting or bias towards rank or experience or number of skulls owned. Please stop making claims that are refutable by basic probabilistic/statistical mechanics.

New subthread: If the new system sucks so bad, why are there 100 people trying to get in the fray?
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Oct 25, 2007 7:54:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yoved08

...your our brains simply hasn't have not evolved to handle random events well

fixed that for you... unless, of course, you intended to put yourself up on that perch...

my simple simian brain can't figure it out...
Yoved

[Oct 25, 2007 8:06:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

yeah, that was supposed to be generic. I missed that one when I was going back and changing it. :)
Darksand (back again!)
Leif wrote: 

[Oct 25, 2007 8:16:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

Personally, I love the new setup, and I especially applaud OOO for making the competition dependant upon participating in a fray, to encourage those (like me) who had decided to just ignore skellies/zombies because we never could get into a fray.

Last nite I "entered" about 20+ frays, and only actually fought in something like 4-5. Yes, it's slightly annoying when you're bopped out, however, knowing that you actually had a CHANCE of getting in made me at least hopeful. In those 20+ frays that I "entered", all but 2 had me entering AFTER it was already "full". (one I got to an uncolonized island for the first fray, and one I must have gotten lucky, because it filled instantly after I entered it).

I used to do skellies a lot. Then, when it became less of a "fight the skellies" game, and more of a "who can click on the skelly fastest and then not even look at what the wager is to click ok on it" game, I just got frustrated and gave them up. Countless times I had actually "made it" to the point that a wager was proposed, but by the time I approved the wager I was too slow and missed that fray. And if, horror of horrors, my cat jumped in my lap, or someone stepped in front of the skellie I was pointing at the moment their arms went up, I'd miss the fray entirely. Skellies were a total waste of time, since there was essentialy no chance of ever getting into the fray.

I am finding it interesting to see the undead's choice of items, however. They seem to prefer 2-3 league maps, or "good" tan bandanas to anything "old", even if the old is of an expensive color or design of clothing.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Oct 25, 2007 8:58:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gio10000

I, too, strongly disagree with the new system. Now, there are more people complaining that they were booted. Internet connection can be changed, getting randomly booted cant change, unless they take it out. If I were in charge of it, I would raise the amount of frays and also raise the minimun amount of skellies per fray, maybe 20. Doing this will let more people come in, and less people complaining about connection. The booting of players that were there first is mentioned many more times in fray's then connection.
Lame username, better pirate. Nuff said.

Captain of Pirates Wrath. (don't feel bad if you have never heard of them)

Prince of This End Up.
[Oct 25, 2007 9:06:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

I am finding it interesting to see the undead's choice of items, however. They seem to prefer 2-3 league maps, or "good" tan bandanas to anything "old", even if the old is of an expensive color or design of clothing.

Not noticed any real change on items- they take old interarch over good common charts, take whisks... and I've seen a few healthy bid tickets, diving helmets and fireplaces being taken. They have a nose for a few good things, heh - probably just symptoms of "must be involved!" addiction.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Oct 25, 2007 9:09:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

...They have a nose for a few good things, heh - ...

They are ahead of us, then. ;P
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Oct 25, 2007 9:28:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Not noticed any real change on items- they take old interarch over good common charts, take whisks... and I've seen a few healthy bid tickets, diving helmets and fireplaces being taken. They have a nose for a few good things, heh - probably just symptoms of "must be involved!" addiction.

That's not my experience at all. I attempted entry in well over a score of frays last night and then after the fact noticed I had an armor with sword in my inventory and it wasn't targeted once. The most commonly targeted item was whisking potions, followed by a pink female hat with lime feather.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Oct 25, 2007 9:45:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

That's not my experience at all. I attempted entry in well over a score of frays last night and then after the fact noticed I had an armor with sword in my inventory and it wasn't targeted once. The most commonly targeted item was whisking potions, followed by a pink female hat with lime feather.

I was only in 3 or 4, but every one picked the same swordfighting table, when I had several pieces of eligible furniture and 3 wisking potions, 2 full.
Darksand (back again!)
Leif wrote: 

[Oct 25, 2007 9:55:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kharnor

Nothing's broken (from the probabilistic standpoint). You just got hit by Murphy's Law :)

""If anything can go wrong, it will, and usually at the most inopportune moment"

RARR! THAT IS NOT MURPHY'S LAW.
It's Finagle's law.

Murphy's law is "If there are two or more ways of doing something, and one of those results in a catastrophe, someone will do it that way."

In other words, if something can go horribly wrong as a result of human stupidity, it will.
At least once.
But not necessarily every time.

Murphy's law has nothing to do with people missing a skellie fray due to a random number generator, or having lots of customers at closing time. It does have something to do with people losing extremely expensive items to skellies because they didn't bother to check their wager, or losing all those customers because you already locked the doors and accidentally locked the keys inside.
Kharnor, perpetual junior officer of the Lost Lot
[Oct 25, 2007 10:57:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Shoot the messenger time:

Went 6 rounds in a fray with 9 skellies, won 4844?

Is the skelly payout not discounting the returned wagers from overwagered pirates?

The usual payout for skellies would have been 1000, plus the 6 rounds of 100 wagers = 1600 per head.

Deliberate or accident?

edit: Yeah, curse my name if I gave away a nice little racket, buy that's a heavy PoE fountain if that's the case :/
Retired, No regrets.

Briggs wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grinfish at Oct 25, 2007 11:13:50 AM]
[Oct 25, 2007 11:11:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

RARR! THAT IS NOT MURPHY'S LAW.
It's Finagle's law.

Murphy's law is "If there are two or more ways of doing something, and one of those results in a catastrophe, someone will do it that way."

In other words, if something can go horribly wrong as a result of human stupidity, it will.
At least once.
But not necessarily every time.

Murphy's law has nothing to do with people missing a skellie fray due to a random number generator, or having lots of customers at closing time. It does have something to do with people losing extremely expensive items to skellies because they didn't bother to check their wager, or losing all those customers because you already locked the doors and accidentally locked the keys inside.

No such distinction exists.

Murphy's Law is better applied when a situation is 50/50. It will either go as planned, or Murphy will strike on a coin flip.

This is not a Murphy's Law situation. This is a randomization issue that is not, by assumed design, supposed to go your way 50% of the time. I'm sure the threshold, over time, will be much lower. Say, I don't know, 25%??

However, I'm sitting on a nice little 'random' acceptance number of less than 7%. Yet, I see a bevy of pirates that continue to be selected fray after fray.

Irrelevant distinction. Murphy's law arises from the combination of two errors in human reasoning:
1) A tendency to remember bad occurrences and forget good ones
2) Forgetting that one is not the only person to get figured into an average

The second one is relevant in this case. If on average people are supposed to get into 16% of frays, then some people will be above that average and some people will be below that average. "Murphy's law" can be used to refer to those people who fall below the average, especially in the case where those people are more likely to understand a reference to "Murphy's law" than an explanation of mean and variance.

But, we are talking about a company that employees a PRNG that only shuffles 3/4 of the deck in poker. I'm not truly surprised with the 'biased' randomness that is showing thus far.

I'm assuming this is an instance of the "telephone game" effect, since their deck code is open-source, and a simple test of their code (by initializing, shuffling, and then dealing out all cards in the deck) reveals that all 52 cards are factored into the shuffle. It IS true that while there are 52! different possible shuffled decks, Y!PP poker only chooses from at most 2^48 of them. Similarly, it IS probably true that if you have 70 people trying to fight 20 skellies, Y!PP only chooses from 2^48 of the (70 choose 20) possibilities of selecting people. However, just like it's possible to generate accurate poll data without polling the entire population, it's possible to fairly select 20 people from the group of 70 without actually choosing from all the possibilities. Even IF there is skew due to a bad PRNG (and I mean even MASSIVE skew), it's offset by the fact that your position in the original list is ITSELF a random variable. Therefore, the effects you are observing are due to variance, not skew. Poker is vulnerable to a different kind of attack that we won't get too far into here, but I will say that that attack is not due to skew, but rather the limits on the size of the seed.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tanonev at Oct 25, 2007 1:10:18 PM]
[Oct 25, 2007 1:00:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

Shoot the messenger time:

Went 6 rounds in a fray with 9 skellies, won 4844?

Is the skelly payout not discounting the returned wagers from overwagered pirates?

The usual payout for skellies would have been 1000, plus the 6 rounds of 100 wagers = 1600 per head.

Deliberate or accident?

Implementation detail; the head monster keeps the cash in its pocket and wagers all it has. If a group of monsters is never defeated before a reboot, the head monster will still have its seed money and any winnings from players kept in its pocket, which will then boost the payouts in a later infestation of monsters.

Which monster is the "head" one varies more or less randomly, so it's possible for that pocket change to be kicking around for a while before that particular skeleton/zombie is the head one of a new bunch and boosts the payouts.
[Oct 25, 2007 1:21:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hfsktr

I hate the new change to skellies..this morning I was booted 4 times in a row being first twice and 2nd once...I didn't get in any of the frays from the start. I think they need to change it so that the first 2,5,10, half or whatever get those spots reserved or make it so that the same person can't be booted twice in a row.
If I was mentally deficient I would have missed.
[Oct 25, 2007 1:38:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

They should just change it so it doesn't say how many people are in. That way nobody will complain about being first, or fifth, or tenth. It should just give some generic information once you get close to parity.
Darksand (back again!)
Leif wrote: 

[Oct 25, 2007 1:40:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

No, what they should do is track every single person who complains then write their characters into the "random" code to make them less likely to get into a fray.
[Oct 25, 2007 1:42:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yoved08

you mean, i'm going to drop below 6.25% acceptance??

i'm so screwed..

it's like high school dating, all over again...

anybody wanna come over saturday night and watch reruns of M.A.S.H with me??
Yoved

[Oct 25, 2007 1:45:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

They should just change it so it doesn't say how many people are in. That way nobody will complain about being first, or fifth, or tenth. It should just give some generic information once you get close to parity.

Heartily endorse. Bad math goes away if you take away the numbers :P
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Oct 25, 2007 1:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Implementation detail; the head monster keeps the cash in its pocket and wagers all it has. If a group of monsters is never defeated before a reboot, the head monster will still have its seed money and any winnings from players kept in its pocket, which will then boost the payouts in a later infestation of monsters.

Which monster is the "head" one varies more or less randomly, so it's possible for that pocket change to be kicking around for a while before that particular skeleton/zombie is the head one of a new bunch and boosts the payouts.

Thanks, it weirded me out. The head of that particular group must have been "afk" since the bugfix last night :)
Retired, No regrets.

Briggs wrote: 

[Oct 25, 2007 1:53:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

...make it so that the same person can't be booted twice in a row.

You really should bone up on your math skills. Imagine there's 20 skellies, and 70 people trying to get in. With your solution, 50 people would get into the 2nd fray.

Random is better.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Oct 25, 2007 1:54:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hfsktr

...make it so that the same person can't be booted twice in a row.

You really should bone up on your math skills. Imagine there's 20 skellies, and 70 people trying to get in. With your solution, 50 people would get into the 2nd fray.

Random is better.

i knew there was a problem with that i just didn't think of how many people you'd need...
If I was mentally deficient I would have missed.
[Oct 25, 2007 2:16:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 521   Pages: 18   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates