• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 612
Posts: 612   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 198346 times and has 611 replies Next Thread
Male Guest
Adventure Island Suggestions Reply to this Post

Index for this thread. - Faulkston

Here we can all gather and discuss our adventure island ideas and wish list so that we can have both a place to start redirecting people when they have ideas, and so that all the ideas are organized in one place so it?s easier on our developers and they can get back to work on making the game more enjoyable by all. :D
I?ve probably overlooked some of the ideas and the details of each of the suggestions. So post away and further discuss the ones I found as well as add some more! I also linked all of the main ideas to their discussions that already exist so we don?t need to repeat a lot of the old discussions about them.

-Sea monsters attacking islands
-Island cannons be used to fend off monster
-Buildings be damaged by attack and must be repaired

-Thieves(Corsairs) on land
-Thieves will try to mug you and you must fight them off to protect your PoE

-Black Ship entering into a blockade
-Other sea creatures could also enter the blockade (gunwhale, kraken, skellies)
-Bumper sloop event with Black Ship spoiler

-Opened up area with tournament boards and wedding scenery

-Swabbies to be rescued from one location and brought to another for a reward
-Disappearing mini islands

-Ship races tournament board

-Islands have theme styled buildings on them
-architecture/building materials of different cultures of the time
-Island made of wrecked ships hauled together into a land mass

-City of Atlantis
-Chart discovered to ?hidden? island
-Red brigand routes
-Foraged items can be artifacts, cloth, dye, rare commodes

-Skelly Daleks

-Reversed swordfights

-Curses

-Blockade Tournament

-Commando Sheep! <3 Stevedave
----------------------------------------
[Edit 10 times, last edit by Faulkston at Nov 26, 2007 11:34:49 PM]
[Jun 12, 2004 9:21:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Zyborg22

Re: Adventure Island Suggestions Reply to this Post

For the "Thieves on Land" idea, I think you should get something if you win against the thief. Of course, there shouldn't be thieves at all if you can use the mini-map to whisk like on the other islands, as you'd almost always be able to avoid the thief.

I know it wasn't your idea, but I still wanted to say that. Do you think that statement would be better off in the actual "Thieves on the Islands" thread?

Well anyway, I have a couple of ideas. I'm not sure how good they are, though.

Team vs. Boss Swordfights: A swordfight with an entire ship full of pirates against one or two powerful ?boss? characters. Said boss characters would probably fit best as guardians of treasure of some sort, where you have to defeat the guardian to get the treasure.

Ruins: There could also be maze-like ruins with surprises, which would include such as things to defeat and treasure left beind by those that were there before, in some (but not too many) of the rooms. You and the others with you would try to make it through the maze and into the treasure room, where both the treasure (which may include relics and other such things) and the guardian await.

The ruins that would be open to you would depend on the "might" rating of your "team", and anyone who gets knocked out while in the ruins wouldn't be able to swordfight again until they get out of the ruins or they take some sort of medicine. If everyone gets knocked out, they all go unconcious and wake up at the entrance of the ruins. This would probably make the game too much like an RPG, so feel free to say "no" to this.
Zyborg - Avatar done by Kingpriam.
Senior Officer of the crew The Legends
Member of the flag Crimson Tide
[Jun 12, 2004 10:24:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Zyborg22    Zyborg200 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Zyborg22 wrote: 
Team vs. Boss Swordfights: A swordfight with an entire ship full of pirates against one or two powerful ?boss? characters. Said boss characters would probably fit best as guardians of treasure of some sort, where you have to defeat the guardian to get the treasure.

Sounds kind of like fighting uber skellies where you get to outnumber them. Maybe this would be more interesting as well if the characters that you fight were historical legendary pirates or something.
[Jun 12, 2004 10:27:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Gigahurtz

i like the idea although the ruins mazes would have to be from overhead
Lormidia---Mercenary for Hire
[Jun 12, 2004 7:46:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

-Reversed swordfights (Hits land breakers instead of blocks. I remember Shockedfrog suggesting it but haven't found the link yet)

I think this was originally an idea for a sword, that had a breaker in the pattern, but then we decided it'd probably be the sort of thing that an opponent on an adventure island would use against you. The general idea was "swordfights where your opponents have crazy patterns." I'm waiting for the all-red opponent, myself.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

I present to ye, the link.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=6824

And any idea involving brawls against difficult NPCs without the added annoyance of sea battle = yum. Although I'd like to see a way to brawl NPCs in the inn too :)

I suppose the ruins could have traps in them, which could spawn extra monsters, cause minor curses (such as beginning the next battle with lines of damage, or adding extra sprinklies to every attack you recieve) unlock new areas (via the sudden opening of a trapdoor, a few seconds wait, the utterance of 'uh-oh', and the aid of gravity) or perhaps alert monsters to your presence, which in turn could be merged with the skelly daleks concept.
[Jun 13, 2004 6:05:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

How about a method to do Brawl tournaments or team Drinking tournaments. Currently there is no method to a team based tournament.

A puzzle to do foraging. I believe there have been some good 'search and find' type puzzle suggestions that have gone around the forums in the last nine months or however long this foraging things been happening
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Jun 14, 2004 3:46:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zyborg22

I have some ideas for the Team Drinking. I'm not sure how good they are, though.

Team Drinking: Like the current Drinking Puzzle, but the contestants would be on teams with equal amounts of contestants. Each team would have one color representing all of the people on that team.

The team that goes first is chosen randomly by the game, and the first person on that team places their piece first. Then, the turn goes clockwise to the first person on the other teams until all of the teams have gone. Then, the second person on the team that went first goes and the turn goes clockwise again. This continues until the game is over.

Wait, what happened to the "Reversed Swordfighting" link?

shockedfrog wrote: 
I suppose the ruins could have traps in them, which could spawn extra monsters, cause minor curses (such as beginning the next battle with lines of damage, or adding extra sprinklies to every attack you recieve) unlock new areas (via the sudden opening of a trapdoor, a few seconds wait, the utterance of 'uh-oh', and the aid of gravity) or perhaps alert monsters to your presence, which in turn could be merged with the skelly daleks concept.

When I first thought of the ruins concept, I was mainly thinking of monsters and treasure. Traps would certainly be a cool addition.
Zyborg - Avatar done by Kingpriam.
Senior Officer of the crew The Legends
Member of the flag Crimson Tide
[Jun 14, 2004 4:40:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Zyborg22    Zyborg200 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Zyborg22 wrote: 
Wait, what happened to the "Reversed Swordfighting" link?

I booched it when I was putting it into the original post. I fixed it now ;)
[Jun 14, 2004 4:45:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Team drinking and brawl tournaments are not Adventure Islands.

Adventure Islands are player vs. environment storylines that a group of players choose to embark upon together.
[Jun 14, 2004 7:08:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

OK, so we're setting off on a quest to find that mysterious table on some forgotten island that allows us to play a tournament as a team.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Jun 14, 2004 7:21:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Aur wrote: 
OK, so we're setting off on a quest to find that mysterious table on some forgotten island that allows us to play a tournament as a team.

Eh, no. I'm not saying group tournaments are a bad suggestion. It's a good one. In fact, it's already on The List. I'm just saying that's not really for Adventure Islands. It's better for normal-ocean implementation.
[Jun 14, 2004 7:32:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

What about the oft mentioned wandering ship of shops?
[Jun 14, 2004 7:37:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I don't know about wandering. It sounds fine and Adventure Islandy to me if it has more to it than just "shoppes that are on a ship."
[Jun 14, 2004 8:05:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

If I remember the original suggestions, it was more like skellies, except the hard to find NPCs would have a variety of goods for sale. Might not fit into adventure islands so well, as it's not, well, adventurous.
[Jun 14, 2004 8:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Maybe it would be more adventerous that in order to find them you must find a series of NPC's that give you a clue as to where to locate the next one until finally you find the shop keeping skellies
[Jun 14, 2004 8:22:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I don't know about wandering. It sounds fine and Adventure Islandy to me if it has more to it than just "shoppes that are on a ship."

The black shoppe that stalks the ocean undercutting the lowest price by 1poe! ;)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jun 14, 2004 8:35:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

It would be interesting to have some kind of floating island that changes locations randomly and then eventually you'd find some rare shop if you are even lucky enough to brave the krakens and the skellies and the black ships. Then you find the elusive... Pet Shop. I mean, these familiars have to come from somewhere.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

[Jun 14, 2004 9:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Aur wrote: 
I mean, these familiars have to come from somewhere.

Well... First two OMs get together and decide that there should be a familar and POOF! There's a familar!
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Jun 14, 2004 9:51:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ash10100

Hmm... A secret pet shop... Blockade it!... good idea

Like I said before...[size=24]BLOCKADE IT!

ok?
[Jun 14, 2004 2:22:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Willturna

I am not sure about you, but right after, I heard about the extra point in Ruby (not sure what Arch, just guessing) I looked at all the posts and got very excited, so maybe there could be uncharted islands, that could found from only one map that is given to you from a Skellie. The route would have only Imperial brigands, and the Black Ship lurks there with out the cover of an innocent blue ship. But the route is dangerous, all the ships on the route can sink you and if sunk, the map goes back to the skellie. On the shores of this island, you can find VERY cheap shoppe prices, AND you can forage any type of commodity in the game. Also, you can't mem the route.
Willturna, Senior Officer in Fun House
[Jun 14, 2004 11:41:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Xephin, ye forgot Invasion

Oh how fun it will be.
[Jun 14, 2004 11:45:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I'd make them deal in yen. Reply to this Post

Mythical cheap shops would undermine the player-run economy. What I wouldn't mind seeing is mythical expensive shops that deal in unique (or at least rare) items like swords and clothes and possibly plentiful but highly-marked-up resources. And when I say expensive I mean restrictively, oppressively so. Enough that if you want to make a run to the Adventure Island in question you are instantly a treasure ship for us more PVP-inclined players. Because, naturally, while The Island of Lost Shops may be a center of exotic commerce, they don't take American Expr--I mean, they don't have a bank. Which is an odd oversight I'm sure could be corrected once you blockade and take control of the island...if only your character had any of their mysterious currency to lay down a war chest!

Fronsac,
who is suddenly thinking about Disney Dollars...
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jun 15, 2004 1:34:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Re: I'd make them deal in yen. Reply to this Post

Gotagota wrote: 
Mythical cheap shops would undermine the player-run economy. What I wouldn't mind seeing is mythical expensive shops that deal in unique (or at least rare) items like swords and clothes and possibly plentiful but highly-marked-up resources. And when I say expensive I mean restrictively, oppressively so. Enough that if you want to make a run to the Adventure Island in question you are instantly a treasure ship for us more PVP-inclined players. Because, naturally, while The Island of Lost Shops may be a center of exotic commerce, they don't take American Expr--I mean, they don't have a bank. Which is an odd oversight I'm sure could be corrected once you blockade and take control of the island...if only your character had any of their mysterious currency to lay down a war chest!

Fronsac,

who is suddenly thinking about Disney Dollars...

Finally, a shop that takes my Dubloons!
[Jun 15, 2004 1:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

You have Dubloons?

They must be from magic

And that means you must be a which!
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 15, 2004 3:08:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
You have Dubloons?

They must be from magic

And that means you must be a which!

-offtopic, sort of-

No, nobody has any dubloons that I know of...
[Jun 15, 2004 3:43:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Nemo does, if I recall. Though maybe that was Azure....

<---- starting to get oceans confused, that's not good!
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[Jun 15, 2004 3:46:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Jun 15, 2004 3:54:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

whatever happened to

Weather at sea; storms that make sailing more interesting or dangerous, on the list.

Putting live chickens in my enemy's underwear since December '03!
Avvy by Sancha!
Sloganizer says: "Crooktooth Prevents That Sinking Feeling."
[Jun 15, 2004 4:27:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Crooktooth wrote: 
whatever happened to

Weather at sea; storms that make sailing more interesting or dangerous, on the list.

Still on The List. But not restricted to Adventure Islands.
[Jun 15, 2004 5:37:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 612   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates