• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 299
Posts: 299   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 43843 times and has 298 replies Next Thread
Cephalopod
Developer

Re: Ice Releases 9/24 - 10/1 Reply to this Post

Screenie of the new eyepatches pleases! I'll provide a comparison picture, (especially useful as I have a bald head on Sage).

[Oct 1, 2007 4:07:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Are you camera shy now, oh sexy god developer?

Or are you looking away from the camera for another reason? Oh, no, that can't be it --

The new eyepatches. They must be so [redacted] that the pirates can't bear to be seen in them.
----------------------------------------
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

The political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com/

[quote]Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily availabl
[Oct 1, 2007 4:47:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Are you camera shy now, oh sexy god developer?

Or are you looking away from the camera for another reason? Oh, no, that can't be it --

The new eyepatches. They must be so [redacted] that the pirates can't bear to be seen in them.

I am assuming that it is the fact that the band line is smoother - nice of Ceph to go bald just to show us :p
Pletoo of Sage
[Oct 1, 2007 5:29:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Is just the head invisible? Because seriously, that would be the ultimate injury. Portrait time!
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Oct 1, 2007 5:43:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

Screenie of the new eyepatches pleases! I'll provide a comparison picture, (especially useful as I have a bald head on Sage).

I honestly never thought I'd see the day this "bug" was fixed. It's... (*sobs*)... it's beautiful! At last, I can go on the docks without people asking me to join the Zombie Attack Victims Association!!!
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Oct 1, 2007 5:52:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

Increased maximum hearties per pirate to 250.

YAY!!! THANK YOU!!!

~Sasha
Sashamorning - Fiery-haired, fiery-tempered, 100% me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

[Oct 1, 2007 6:37:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobBee88

2007-10-01

* Increased maximum hearties per pirate to 250.

* Various behind-the-scenes improvements.

This is very nice! Yeah!

Is there more hidden secrets still to come? /me waits anxiously to see....
Bobofarc of Sage
*SO of TLL and Lord of Good Grief*
[Oct 1, 2007 6:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

YAY! More <3ies.

I can has eye patch now?

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Oct 1, 2007 6:49:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Ceph does a Britney...

Thanks, mate.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Oct 2, 2007 6:43:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Re: Ice Releases 9/24 - 10/2 Reply to this Post

2007-10-02
  • List the station type when announcing someone abandoning a duty station.
  • Fix potential issues with buildings not allowing entry.
  • Fix issues with eyepatched female pirates not showing on the pick yer pirate screen.
  • Adjustments to skelly frays:

• Skellies spawn in more manageable numbers on ice.
    • People can sign up for the skelly fray in excess of the number of skellies. When the fray starts, the skellies will randomly pick a subset of the players to fight, and refund wagers to the rest.
    • Skellies force a short break between voting to start a new fray after losing one, to give the last players standing and those with slower computers a chance to sign up.
    • For the moment, skellies spawn more frequently than usual on ice for testing.

2007-10-01
  • Increased maximum hearties per pirate to 250.
  • Fixed more issues with dragoons not being properly removed from the boat.
  • Fixed problem where some people didn't show up on the duty station list.
  • Minor improvement to the appearance of eyepatches.
  • Fixed issue that could cause hearties' online status to be incorrectly reported.
  • Various behind-the-scenes improvements.

YAY. And even a few nights ago, I was complaining with a hearty about the hearty limit was too low. Guess I'll have a littel more time to fill it up yet again. Its hard to have to remove someone thats good hearty and is away, or semiretired and pops on everyonce in a while.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Oct 2, 2007 11:30:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Cephalopod a.k.a. Skeletor wrote: 
  • People can sign up for the skelly fray in excess of the number of skellies. When the fray starts, the skellies will randomly pick a subset of the players to fight, and refund wagers to the rest.
  • Skellies force a short break between voting to start a new fray after losing one, to give the last players standing and those with slower computers a chance to sign up.
  • For the moment, skellies spawn more frequently than usual on Ice for testing.

Thank you! I'm heading home now to check this out! And now I have a reason to work on my stinkin' SF rating on my "real" ocean! Oh, if only we had teh rumblez zombiez, but I ain't gonna look a gift horse's skeleton (thestral?) in the mouth. =)
Tonya+nator
About 99% retired
[Oct 2, 2007 12:58:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
TracyMac777

• For the moment, skellies spawn more frequently than usual on Ice for testing.

Oh my God...skellie fray tweaking, I've been waiting for this for two years now. You guys are awesome.
Juiceten - Born on Cobalt, raised on Viridian.

Big Slick Buccaneers

Greenie wrote: 
Any1 wanna bia badge?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by TracyMac777 at Oct 2, 2007 1:46:28 PM]
[Oct 2, 2007 1:46:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Since the last thread has grown out of hand, let's start a new one:
2007-10-02

I'm one of those players who always got into the fray after the last one, regardless of how quick other people click. So does this new release mean that even if I'm first in the fray, I could have a chance of not getting "picked" to fight, and therefore lose my previous wagers? Even if I'm first in the fray? If so, that absolutely blows and makes zero sense.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Oct 2, 2007 2:05:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

That's exactly what it means, and it makes perfect sense. Why should participation in a limited numbers event like skellies be solely dependent on who can click faster? The new method is much fairer, frankly. Previous losing frays have no relationship to the next fray. It's a wager, you lost, you already got your gameplay for your payment. Each new fray is an independent event.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 2, 2007 2:11:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

That's exactly what it means, and it makes perfect sense. Why should participation in a limited numbers event like skellies be solely dependent on who can click faster? The new method is much fairer, frankly. Previous losing frays have no relationship to the next fray. It's a wager, you lost, you already got your gameplay for your payment. Each new fray is an independent event.

I like you, Sweetie, I really do...but did you really just say "random selection is more fair"? That just sounds ridiculous to me. Two other options:
- How about make it so that only those able to defeat skellies can play them? The mission doesn't exist for anyone below Renowned, why not limit who can join the fray then?
- Or at least have the "random" selection choose the highest rated players. You want in? You have to earn it. Sure, you can join the fray if you're Able, but if there are plenty of Leg-Ult players available, they will all get taken first. Then GM, Renowned, Master, etc.

If the selection is truly random...well, looks like I'll never get that Head Honcho trophy afterall.

Edit: forgot to respond to this:

Previous losing frays have no relationship to the next fray. It's a wager, you lost, you already got your gameplay for your payment. Each new fray is an independent event.

If that were the case, the winning fray wouldn't receive the wagers from all previous frays. The winning fray would get 1k and 1 item each time.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Edit 1 times, last edit by rixation at Oct 2, 2007 2:23:46 PM]
[Oct 2, 2007 2:22:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

No relation was an overstatement; they do increase the prize pool, but they are still independent events. Which is why you don't win back your own previously wagered items when you win, you get whatever selection of items others have previously wagered. Playing in one fray doesn't give one a right to participate in every fray, nor should it, since if it did it would mean giving one person the right to play multiple times at the expense of giving another player the right to play zero times.

On limiting the fray by skill, that's a larger game design question of whether you want everyone to be able to participate or not. There are pros and cons both ways, and a choice the devs have to make.

I believe random selection is more fair because it's fun to play skellies, there are limited spots to do it, and I believe it is fairer to give everyone an equal chance to participate than to limit it to those with better machines or who happened to get there first, but already lost their first opportunity. Kindergarten sharesies rules.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 2, 2007 2:41:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

It's also in keeping with the previous change to semi-randomize the skellie arrival times. Random selection is perhaps the most fair way of handling it. Any other method that looks at standings or relies on clicky speed is unfair by nature.

/e shrugs

I've not been skellie hunting for a while anywho. I loved that they came on a schedule, and I could plan my very limited play time around that window. I still recognize that it's fairer to mix things up a bit, despite the fact that it messes with my ability to get in the frays.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SilveRansom at Oct 2, 2007 3:12:11 PM]
[Oct 2, 2007 3:09:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

I agree with Sweetie on this one. Besides, after the Citadel and all those frickin' Bellators, skellies should be a lot easier for everyone to defeat.

PS - Could we please have some new names for the Atlanteans, or are they all really that related?
Tonya+nator
About 99% retired
[Oct 2, 2007 3:39:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Those are apparently their ranks, Tonya. Hence the legions of each kind.

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 2, 2007 3:40:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Lame. Makes it look like OOO just got tired of coming up with Adjective + Name names.

And is this on the wiki somewhere? (No, I haven't looked.) Has someone figured out if the Atlantean word bellator = supermegaultimate and the others = lower levels of difficulty? Just wondering.
Tonya+nator
About 99% retired
[Oct 2, 2007 3:45:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

And is this on the wiki somewhere? (No, I haven't looked.) Has someone figured out if the Atlantean word bellator = supermegaultimate and the others = lower levels of difficulty? Just wondering.

BAM!

List of all known names and their approximate translation for title.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Oct 2, 2007 3:50:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Lame. Makes it look like OOO just got tired of coming up with Adjective + Name names.

Dragoons. Now stop interrupting the skellie tarting for this nonsense. ;p

I <3 Tonya, really.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Oct 2, 2007 3:50:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Everything I've heard so far is at the myths level in terms of difficulty. linky on difficulty linkytwo on difficulty

I believe the ranks thing was intended to add flavour - per the official docs "none of them would reveal anything more than their rank".
linky on ranks Official docs on ranks

That's about it so far.

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 2, 2007 3:55:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I was in Atlantis last night on Sage and the knock out messages in the group fray said things like:

[20:38:27] AtlanteanE Thomas is eliminated!
[20:38:37] AtlanteanE Elliot is eliminated!
[20:38:50] AtlanteanH Gus is eliminated!
[20:38:53] AtlanteanO Gregor is eliminated!
So they sort of have names.

Concerning the skellie frays - yes random is much more fair than going by rank, because rank has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to fight in a group setting. I am able right now because I personally don't enjoy going to the inn to build that stat. Does that mean I can't fight well in a fray? Not really, I am often one of the last ones standing. The one and only skellie fray on Sage that I have ever actually clicked fast enough to get in, I got a skull.

Now a request concerning Atlantis. Any chance of having an appropriate message for /vwho such as "Exploring Rocky Wall" rather than the pilly message? ("Last seen leaving --- Island.")
Pletoo of Sage
[Oct 2, 2007 4:24:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TrowzersSays

skelly tarting

Yay, something fun to test now I've finally resubbed! See you in about 8 hours when I get home from work!

Now a request concerning Atlantis. Any chance of having an appropriate message for /vwho such as "Exploring Rocky Wall" rather than the pilly message? ("Last seen leaving --- Island.")

This would be very helpful, and would prevent me having to spam my hearties with "Are you there yet?" tells to find out if I can still get jobbed. At the very least, an indication that they are "in battle" would be helpful. But at the moment there's no clear way of telling if a ship is already in atlantis or not without actually asking someone (or if there is, I can't find it).
Trowzers on Sage...

[Oct 2, 2007 5:11:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Or at least the "in battle" message that you get when a ship is on a blockade or flotilla board. The docks will show the ship as being "in battle", but /vw doesn't. Very confusing.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Oct 2, 2007 5:41:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Very pro the skelly changes. Hopefully this will reduce the number of people who deliberately suicide when it's something like 3 v 4 and they want to get out of the maybe-losing fray quick enough to get into the next one. (I hate being one of the last people alive in a really close match, because most of the time at least one of the other people fighting with me dismisses the puzzle rather than trying to, you know, actually win.)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tilinka at Oct 2, 2007 8:27:46 PM]
[Oct 2, 2007 8:27:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

You know...on the skellie frays, I've seen a lot of people tart about this new randomizing thing even though it is technically more fair to all. Mostly those with fast computers that never missed getting into the next fray. (Not too surprising, huh?)

In the end, the problem here is that we have a limited commodity ("being allowed to play in a skelly fray") and a demand that far outstrips the commodity's availability. In fact, no matter what size the ocean is in terms of people online at a given time, the supply of frays is basically constant. Well... so why don't we apply a scalable solution to this, as has already been done for the economy itself?

Now that we know how many people over-registered for each fray, we have a way to gauge actual demand. So if "too many" over-register, why not have a dynamic spawn mechanic that makes the next fray spawn sooner? Over time, you'd reach an equilibrium where demand is approximately equal to supply. If you're worried about pumping too much poe into the economy via skellies, you can scale the skelly payout inversely...so if skellies spawn quicker, they also pay less. This will help to further balance things by lessening demand as spawn increases, so that you might hit an equilibrium point sooner. (And make sure rate adjustments happen slowly enough to account for a day or week's peak usage cycles, or maybe scale it against how many pirates are online at the time of the fray.)

The one problem here is that skellies spawn in different numbers, so if a small fray spawns it could throw things off a bit, but by making any adjustments happen slowly this should balance out. Or maybe there's a few other tweaks that could be made to the idea...but I really think *some* sort of dynamic spawn could go a long way to reducing the tarting.

Anyway, just a thought....
[Oct 2, 2007 10:06:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

• Adjustments to skelly frays:

• Kargach's. Favorite. Update. Ever.
    Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
    Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
    [Oct 2, 2007 11:05:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    imwamphyr

Ok I want my liar button! *shakes fists*

I want my liar button nowwwwww! LMAO

(for those who don't remember, it's a button that I can press to lie and SAY my hearty list is full when it isn't). Those real hearties I have, you can expect to hear from me when this goes live demanding you create a billion fake alts to fill me up again. *goes off to hide in a corner*
    Selling my Grunion Collection!
    174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
    [Oct 3, 2007 6:40:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 299   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates