• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10379 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
jtownzen

Are there any games similar to the Battle Nav puzzle? Reply to this Post

There was a thread in Game Design (possibly more than one) that suggested there should be a battle nav practice puzzle in the inns, and it seemed like the devs were supportive of that idea so I assume it'll be added at some point. In the meantime, though, it's not very easy to get good battle nav practice in-game, and battle nav is also one of the most entertaining puzzles but one that a lot of people don't get a chance to play much, if at all. So I was wondering, since a lot of the other YPP puzzles are based on other puzzle games, is there one that was the basis for Battle Nav? And if not, does anyone know of a puzzle game that's similar?
----------------------------------------
- Aralyn, Damsel of Black Death
[Apr 15, 2004 12:39:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Re: Are there any games similar to the Battle Nav puzzle? Reply to this Post

Apparently Roborally.
[Apr 15, 2004 1:09:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Aye, I've never played or even seen Robo Rally myself, or even heard about it until people kept asking me if I've ever played it. (I really should check it out sometime in fact).

While on the subject of Battle Nav, I'd like to again say how much I love the damn puzzle and am in awe at how well the Ringers created it (what with the ties to all the other puzzles and all).
[Apr 15, 2004 2:07:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

I've played Roborally. It's very similar to sea battle, though most people don't take it as seriously. A brief summary:

Players control robots, who race to checkpoints on a factory floor. The factory is full of conveyor belts (like winds), spinners (like whirlpools), walls, open pits, crushers, lasers, flamethrowers... you know, typical factory stuff. :)

You're dealt 10 cards on each turn (to start): each card is marked Move 1, Move 2, ... left turn, right turn, U-turn, etc. You use these to program 7 movement phases, or "registers" (like the 4 slots in sea battle). Then all robots move simultaneously. Each robot has a laser which fires automatically every turn, doing damage; robots take damage from factory obstacles too.

For each point of damage your robot takes, you are dealt one less card on your turn. When you're deal less than 7, some of your registers lock with the last-played card, so you have no choice in your movement for that phase. You can "shut down" to repair damage.

Add-on expansions include fun weapons and other widgets, and map boards including teleporters, radioactive sludge, etc.

The game rules say the winner is the first to reach all the flags and return to the finish line, but really, it's all about killing as many robots as possible. Other robots, your robot, whatever. It's all good.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

goodmanj wrote: 
The game rules say the winner is the first to reach all the flags and return to the finish line, but really, it's all about killing as many robots as possible. Other robots, your robot, whatever. It's all good.

I love games that uses those kinds of rules! *so not thinking of Blockades*
[Apr 16, 2004 1:29:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Obie

Unfortunately, it's not in print anymore in English...

You can check around local game stores, Check Ebay, or Learn German (the only language it's published in right now).

I own the base set... and love to play it every once in awhile...another game where the more people there are, the more chaotic the board gets, and people end up pushing each other, shooting each other, and making a general mess of whatever it was you were trying to do with your movement pieces. It's really a blast...a laser blast.

Can I get a freakin robot with a "laser" on it?
Obie
Argonaut wrote: 
I'm glad brown will become easier to get. I think it's very important to wear brown pants while sailing in Ruby.

[Apr 16, 2004 1:54:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

Looking it up, I found a couple of free PC versions:

Robo-Rally

Bots'n'Scouts

I'm at work, so I haven't tried them yet to see how similar they are.
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Apr 16, 2004 2:09:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

goodmanj wrote: 
I've played Roborally. It's very similar to sea battle, though most people don't take it as seriously.

Not seriously? Heh. I've won the RoboRally tournament 5 years in a row now at a local game con. My housemate practiced with an online version for months in order to get good enough to beat me. RoboRally is a VERY serious game. *grin*

You're dealt 10 cards on each turn (to start): each card is marked Move 1, Move 2, ... left turn, right turn, U-turn, etc. You use these to program 7 movement phases, or "registers" (like the 4 slots in sea battle).

9 cards, 5 registers.

Add-on expansions include fun weapons and other widgets, and map boards including teleporters, radioactive sludge, etc.

The base game also comes with options for yer robot.

If ye want to win, the trick is to get OUT of the carnage and let yer opponents kill each other while ye get the flags. The last flag is the "finish line." Ye can have any number of boards and any number of flags, so ye can put in as much interaction as ye like and make the game as long as ye like. It's the most fabulous game ever.
[Apr 16, 2004 2:11:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chum

muffy wrote: 
It's the most fabulous game ever.

And now it's out of print. :(
[Apr 16, 2004 3:47:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Chum wrote: 
muffy wrote: 
It's the most fabulous game ever.

And now it's out of print. :(

But so long as we remember it, it never really dies.

atteSmythe,
who's never played roborally

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Apr 16, 2004 3:56:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

You may still be able to find a copy on the shelves of your local game shoppe. If it's not on the shelf, ask the owner. (You are friends with your local game shoppe owner, right?) Don't delay, though -- they're obviously getting scarce!

Proud member of the Pit Depth Verification Crew since 1995.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Apr 16, 2004 5:02:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Unfortunately, it's not in print anymore in English...

You can check around local game stores, Check Ebay, or Learn German (the only language it's published in right now).

I knew learning German would pay off someday! :D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 16, 2004 7:33:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
jtownzen

Thanks for the info, everyone :)
- Aralyn, Damsel of Black Death
[Apr 16, 2004 11:32:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Rifkind wrote: 
If ye want to win, the trick is to get OUT of the carnage and let yer opponents kill each other while ye get the flags.

Hmm.

Shur wrote: 
*so not thinking of Blockades*

Me neither.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chegg

Seven Seas
Its a cheap version of battle nav, but in my opinion closest to PP battle nav.
[Apr 18, 2004 12:23:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Chegg069    Chegg069 [Link]  Go to top 
sekullbe

Battle nav reminds me very much of the board game "Broadsides and Boarding Parties" (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/96 ).

It was a nice game with large plastic sailing ships with removable masts, cannons and crew. Two ships dueled with cannon before boarding and battling it out.

You moved your ship by playing cards from your hand three at a time, then all three orders would be executed on the map. If your ship lost one of its 3 masts you had to play a "damage" card each turn so you got fewer actions. Very similar to RoboRally.

Shooting the other ship could knock out crew, cannon, or masts, or could hole the hull. Too much hull damage and you sank, but usually you'd shoot the other guy up and board- then you'd move your crew around on a grid on the two ships to resolve the combat.
[Apr 22, 2004 8:40:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates