• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2446 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Tee_Beard

An injustice! Reply to this Post

I actually stumbled upon this, as I was looking for stuff for a paper:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/ratings/gameID/131/setRView/comments

Hurtful comments make Baby Cleaver cry.

Thesis,
hurt.
----------------------------------------
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Apr 20, 2004 9:53:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Re: An injustice! Reply to this Post

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's when people act as their opinion is The One Truth that things get messy.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Apr 20, 2004 10:08:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

A reviewer wrote: 

I played for about 20 minutes and It's time I'll never get back. Not one single person was willing to help me (a new guy) in game.

Translation: I wasn't able to start killing things the exact second I logged in, and no matter who I asked, no one was willing to give me money and items for free.
Another wrote: 
This game's just a joke, right? No way, you mean it actually exists? Seriously though, come on! This shouldn't even be here. The next thing you know, they'll start listing MUDs here... Gah!

Not only is there no mindless hack-and-slash, repeat ad nauseum, but also it doesn't require a $400 video card and polyphonic surround-sound to play. How dare someone create a game (and post it on MMORPG.COM) that doesn't let me taunt people for not having a l33t gaming rig.
blahblah wrote: 
That sums it up right there. Why would anyone pay for such a load of crap? To the guy who says it works... It doesn't work, it's stupid and pointless and anyone who plays is completely out of it; much less pay a monthly fee for such a pile of horse manuer(sp?).

The concept of anyone ever disagreeing with me is totally preposterous.

Side note: at least said "reviews" are in actual English.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Apr 20, 2004 10:20:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
KCJazz

One reviewer, Boognish wrote: 
I know it's going to be hard to believe, but this game is actually quite ingenious. The graphics, though nowhere near as complex as most other games, are still quite charming. Using puzzles as a remedy for auto-attack, kill, loot, heal, sell, wash, rinse repeat mill-treading madness... I would have never thought of it, but it works :) I can honestly say there is no lag, there is no downtime unless you want downtime, there is no level treadmill, personal skill is rewarded, role-playing is extremely common among the community, and I have never been bored. Can you say this about your MMO? Can ya? Just, before you go bashing it, give it a try. It's a free download, and you can pretty much play for as long as you like before you subscribe. So nothing's holding you back from getting to know this game. Don't knock it til' ya try it :) You'd rate it a 10 on value, performance/lag, community, and fun too I'd bet. Role-playing, well, there are a FEW people who don't role-play their characters, but they're uncommon. Give it a 9 there. Sound? There aren't many games with decent sound out there. Name one. Graphics? I rated it a 5. They're not as bad as you think. They actually kind of add to the fun and simplicity of the game. Customer service? I rated it a 5 just because I have never had to deal with them. But the fact that I've never had to deal with them also says something positive about the game. I could go on and on. Just give it a try you doubters :) Then come back and post something informed and sound intelligent. Yeah, I guess that's wishful thinking... But it's a pirate's life fer' me :)

At least not every reviewer is immature and petty.
Seriously though, come on! Just because a game doesn't allow you to blow stuff up doesn't automatically make it a bad game. And just because it's graphics don't require you to have a roomful of computers doesn't mean that it's not worth the money.
What OOO has accomplished here is actually quite remarkable, from a marketing standpoint. Think about it. They've created a game that just about anyone, even with the lowest grade of computer, can play. The game is multi-faceted to the point that the vast majority of gamers can find something that they like about it. And finally, they've made it reasonable to afford. Wow! I know, that's like a totally foreign concept, but this game is actually priced low enough that your average joe can afford to play it.
Anyway, my point is just that I like the game, and that there are very valid reasons why the game is the way that it is.
So the next time someone badmouths Y!PP, you just ask them when was the last time that they not only got to speak one on one with the development team of their game, but also got to make suggestions that were actually put into the game.
If that doesn't give them pause, then you probably don't need to be talking to them anyway.
-Cannon-
Formerly Prince of the flag Dark Gods of Stormy Seas
[Apr 20, 2004 11:10:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://shantyraidio.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

I like how that one guy twisted Woody's comic around to insult the game. </sarcasm>
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Apr 20, 2004 11:14:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Crystallina wrote: 
I like how that one guy twisted Woody's comic around to insult the game. </sarcasm>

Talk about not getting the joke, at any rate.

Thesis,
who'll probably post a more favourable review.

Edit: Oh, no, wait... they won't accept people who don't have enough 'rank' in their profile. How inconvenient. Tch. Chalk it up to a hostile community, then.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Apr 21, 2004 12:27:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Who are these people that know nothing about the game, log on for 30 seconds and are able to write a review about it that is supposed to be objective? And the guy that said nobody would help him... does he mean he asked for money and nobody would give it to him? BAH!! Those people truly piss me off.

Cleaver, Nemo, Jack... ya'll jist cover yer eyes, and don't read it, and don't listen to it, cuz they are too stupid to 'get it'. You guys rock!! And PP is THE game to play!!
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Apr 21, 2004 1:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
peax

crowsdiamond wrote: 
Who are these people that know nothing about the game, log on for 30 seconds and are able to write a review about it that is supposed to be objective? And the guy that said nobody would help him... does he mean he asked for money and nobody would give it to him? BAH!! Those people truly piss me off.

Cleaver, Nemo, Jack... ya'll jist cover yer eyes, and don't read it, and don't listen to it, cuz they are too stupid to 'get it'. You guys rock!! And PP is THE game to play!!

/me agrees
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
(-Keats)
[Apr 21, 2004 1:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Have you not been introduced? Preacher, meet The Converted.
[Apr 21, 2004 1:38:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Nemo wrote: 

B-b-b-but there're a lot of us!

A-a-a-and we're infinitely smarter than those obsessive-compulsives level-chasing l3wt-maniacs? No? No?

[size=9]Somebody?

[size=7]Anyone?

Thesis,
feeling a crisis of faith comin' on up....
Thesis
[Apr 21, 2004 1:42:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychoMantis

Those mates're clearly not cool enough to be pirates. They can stick to treadmilling their scantily-clad Wood Elves.

Pah! We dont need 'em!
Legionnaire, Imperial Fist Chapter
Prince of Lost Legion
[Apr 21, 2004 1:43:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bran

Not one single person was willing to help me (a new guy) in game. I guage a game by it's community. This one, has to be the WORST.

I wonder if he was the greenie who came into one of our shops the other day and sent me a tell saying, "Scupper you!" and then left. Perhaps it was the one who a/s/l-ed me at the docks and got angry when I didn't respond. Or maybe it was the jobber who jumped ship on me because he thought his pirate would be killed if he lost the swordfight...

Man, I'm really sorry those people didn't stick around to enhance our community...
Blackbran
Captain of No Quarter
[Apr 21, 2004 1:54:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.dead-reckoning.org [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

It is almost by design that PP's graphics and design (puzzles etc) serve to immediately deter a substantial part of the MMO-playing audience. I would be more worried about this if I didn't consider that market over-served and under-paying (just look at the 'private servers' that abound for Ragnarok, or the many games trying to advertise on that site). So, no, I'm not too upset.
[Apr 21, 2004 2:40:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Crystallina wrote: 

Aside from Boo's comment, that part was the only reasonable thing that was posted on that site :P
[Apr 21, 2004 3:02:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nikells

Punk wrote: 
http://www.gucomics.com/comics/gu_20040330.jpg <-- That sums it up right there. Why would anyone pay for such a load of crap? To the guy who says it works... It doesn't work, it's stupid and pointless and anyone who plays is completely out of it; much less pay a monthly fee for such a pile of horse manuer(sp?).

Not being able to spell manure sums your review up well, but don't listen to me: I'm completely out of it.

Its a damn shame that games company's feel the need to create spec pushing 3D games with bigger effects and less content.

Y!PP caters to a more casual audience, but I think it can actually convert those casual players into the hardcore community, which is quite a feat.
Nikells - Viridian
[Apr 21, 2004 4:13:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

..at the risk of sounding like the bad guy here

But some people just dont get the game. You have to admit that because this game is very different from all the MMORPGs out there it makes the game special! But it also means that its a new formula that hasn't been tested. Humans don't like things that they are unfamiliar with.

They'd rather be playing some other hack and slash which is basically the same but with different names, better graphics maybe..

Thats what they like. Just like how YPP is what YOU like.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

No point getting all worked up on this really.

I guess i'm also making this post because i too have gotten a little tired of YPP and haven't logged on consistently in a while compared to the endless hrs logged in before P2P and i've basically traded YPP for an easier, hack and slash Ragnarok Online.

Its fun, its cute, I get to SEE my levelling and mad skills. In YPP I have to concentrate and figure out puzzles..i have to watch what i say..theres the whole layer of social puzzles and diplomacy.. like many others I stay cos I love the friends that i've met. But for me its harder cos of the time zone difference (I live in Malaysia btw) and i just got bored of playing the puzzles at 2am in the morning when i was exhausted and performing badly.

Hack and slash is EASY. But i'm simple that way.

[size=7]Actually part of what turned me off about the game was the social puzzle. I mean....its only supposed to be a game right? Why are people getting so stressed out and community ganging up on people?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Heheheh ragnarok. I used to play that a while back. It got annoying after everyone started using mods that basically ran scripts for your character to keep hacking and slashing all night while you slept. Some were advanced enough to level your character automatically. It had a few flaws.

Its a cute game though none the less. Too simple and tedious after a point though.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Apr 21, 2004 5:07:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

xagoloth wrote: 
Its a cute game though none the less. Too simple and tedious after a point though.

And this is how I feel about YPP right now.
[Apr 21, 2004 5:16:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Strawberi wrote: 
xagoloth wrote: 

And this is how I feel about YPP right now.

Me too. :) Until blockades come out.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Apr 21, 2004 5:23:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

crud i forgot to add a :p at the end of my post.

YPP is a great game and i loved it! I'm just over it sadly :(
[Apr 21, 2004 5:27:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Stinktoe

The comic someone linked was kind of amusing:

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/gu_20040330.jpg

I went to the home page to check it out and Hey! Presto! Puzzle Pirates Banner Ad!
Don Quevegas
Officer of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
Flag Looterati
[Apr 21, 2004 11:38:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Yes, that comic IS amusing, although not for the reasons you intended...
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Apr 22, 2004 1:01:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

That's "One eyed TART."
It's all about Research!
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Apr 22, 2004 6:51:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Cleaver, with emphasis by moi wrote: 
I would be more worried about this if I didn't consider that market over-served and under-paying (just look at the 'private servers' that abound for Ragnarok, or the many games trying to advertise on that site).

I smell an interesting interview.

Thesis,
sniff, sniff.
Thesis
[Apr 22, 2004 1:06:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Anyone other than jack have an account able to post there? I imagine they need to here something rather simple along the lines of:

Give it a try, and contact one of the nice players in pink. They'll help you off the ground. There's no treadmilling, no initial levelling, and the only property you actually NEED to get (ships) can be had simply by making a few friends in a good crew and signing up.

The graphics don't matter. They never do. Why else would people sill play games like starcraft or jumpgate or all of the muds out there? Once you find your way into the community, it'd be tough to leave.

Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 22, 2004 7:42:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Nemo wrote: 

Your ranking in Objectiveness has gone up and is now ranked Ultimate in the entire forum!

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Apr 23, 2004 9:45:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates