• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 54
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 64731 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
Uni

Uni's Bilge Tutorial, (warning Ton o Pictures) Reply to this Post

Uni's Bilge Tutorial.

1) Start the puzzle with a good move *
2) Get combo's
3) Limit yer moves to get combo's
4) Clear the Crabs

5) When ye can't manage to do 1-4 well, stop the puzzle
and don't start it till after the next nav point.
(this resets the pump)
Step 5 if for those who make too many BAD moves, and yer pump is Booched.

*a note about step 1, those who want to get on the top
10 list need to pay attention to step 1, or ye canna get
an incredible the first league.(good means combo, or chain reaction)*

Info about combo's
(how many moves a combo will keep yer pump at the same spot)
Ye of course want todo these in LESS than this.

3x3 - worth 3 moves
3x4 - worth 4 moves
3x5 - worth 4 moves
3x3x3 - worth 7 moves (Bingo)
3x3x5 - worth 9 moves (Bingo)
3x3x3xA - worth 11 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)
3x3x4xA - worth 12 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)
3x3x5xA - worth 14 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)

Bonuses
1 crab - worth 1-2 move
2 crabs - worth 2-3 moves
Crabs vary on water level of boat...the more water the more
the crabs are worth.

Neutral's
Blowfish
Squid

Penaltie's
Idleness
10 sec's = 1 move

Ok now on to the set up of Bingo's
(the prefered method for getting Incredibles)

Look for a row with 3 of a kind.
Then see if that same piece is vertically in 2 adjacent rows.
This be the building block of all combo's.
Once ye have this, ye can get Bingo's and Up.

Here be some shots of combo's

-Uni
Bilge Rat of Rudder Revolution
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Uni at Apr 20, 2004 3:21:28 PM]
[Apr 20, 2004 3:21:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

Re: Uni's Bilge Tutorial, (warning Ton o Pictures) Reply to this Post

nice

and fyi, ye have a few of the same ones up twice
[Apr 20, 2004 3:28:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uni

actually there are no repeats in there... (look closely)
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firien

Um... in the last one (and the several before it) - in the top right, there's a line of 3 that isn't disappeared!
Aerias rawx! Visit her hugely stockedFULL tailor rack on Oyster!
-------
Now playing on Sage...
[Apr 21, 2004 3:39:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

Dude, don't hate, she was just pasting some combos together, trying to help you out. Mannnn.
-TK
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uni

Aye I had some shots from in game of all the combo's but
this way seemed easier, since I would have had to redo all
of my screenshot so I did not get censored again.

-uni
Lallaria

Morg's right, you do have 2 that are the same.

The 3x3x3.jpg and 3x3x3x3.jpg are the same combos in the pictures. They're both pictured as 3x3x3x3
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Apr 22, 2004 12:03:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
Uni

Thanks Lallaria, all fixed now :D
and the 3x4 and 3x5 that were not showing up... are up.
[Apr 22, 2004 1:20:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puzjunky

you might wanna thank morg as well. He is the one who pointed it out. (sheesh, get it straight uni).
Talons

who was I again?
[Apr 22, 2004 2:09:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    talonsypp [Link]  Go to top 
Uni

Well, he said a few :D and it was only just one.

Har har
[Apr 22, 2004 2:38:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

You can vegas in Bilge? heh... uh... learn somethin new everyday, great pics Uni, and i like the move-value ratios. the 10 sec idle penalty, is that between clears, or just in between moves?
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[May 10, 2004 1:33:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

I have yet to get a vegas in bilge but than again i don't bilge much; bilging is for the little cabin boys!

/me calls nikells
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[May 10, 2004 2:23:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
jvaldez

Your last one is mistagged....3x5x5x3, not 3x5x4x3

No 4x5?

Great work, though (and...bookmarked).
Juanita
Senior Officer and Surgeon of The Phoenix Warriors
[May 10, 2004 2:30:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jtownzen

Three moves for a 3x3 will lower your score a bit from what I've seen, although it won't hurt too much and it's a good way to move a lot of pieces if there's nothing else left to do.
- Aralyn, Damsel of Black Death
[May 10, 2004 3:33:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tedv

My experience seems to say that 3x3x3s are worth 9 clicks, and each crab is +2 moves. But obviously the bread and butter moves should be 3x3s in 2 clicks and 3x3x3s in 7 or fewer clicks.
Uni

Ill have to check into that Tedv, as it seems a few of the values have been tweeked slightly. (crab's are a bit harder to quantify, as it depends on the water level) For instance a crap filled on full bilge, is worth something like 8 moves (blue pump to sparkely).
[May 11, 2004 4:22:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninjacan

re Reply to this Post

i've never gotten a vegas either. but you dont need to get huge combos all the time just to do good. i mean, i have only ever gotten a sea donkey twice. and i was sitting at 2nd in the ocean for a while.

its mostly about speed, dont make bad moves ever :P
xoxo beerbaron
[May 11, 2004 12:19:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Errigand

Times fer bigger combos? Reply to this Post

Do ye know how many moves a 4x4 or 5x5 type clears would earn ye? The same as all the other moves less than a bingo, or do these larger clears add a few more clicks to the clock?

--Errigand
[size=9]Barkeep, a draft of yer finest rum, fer the world is slowly stepping into focus, and I generally don't like what I see.
[May 11, 2004 10:57:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

I've not checked, but I think a 4x4 would probably be worht about 5, and a 5x5 worth six.
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[May 12, 2004 6:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

This guide really helped me uni :D. I just got legendary in bilge- my first legendary now to get it past solid :'(.

Thanks a heap :)
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[May 13, 2004 7:41:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dohpaz

very nice guide uni, it helped me alot...easier to see the pictures than visualize it in your head

one thing though,,,,the 3x3x3 is a bingo
[Jun 3, 2004 6:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cowlord13

How many moves are just 3,4, and 5 blocks worth?
Are they 1,2,3 moves respectively?

Amm.
[Jun 17, 2004 12:37:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.whitedingo.com    cowlord13    Mousashi13 [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

The simple answer: It doesn't really work like that.

The better answer: Puzzle scoring is (apparently) a two part process. First, you get a raw score based on efficiency. So, if one move clears 3 balls, that's 300%. If two moves clear 3 each, that's 300%, 300%. If a series of moves clear 0, 3, 0, 3, 0, 3, then the score is 0%, 150%, 100%, 150%, 120%, 150%. Failing to make a move in 10 seconds counts as a move of zero. As far as I know, single rows score 3, 4, or 5, while 3x3's and above score more; chains (I'm guessing) score half, I don't know about multiple chains, and crabs I don't have a guess yet.

Secondly, how that percentage turns into the INDICATOR (the indicator is NOT your score) appears to be a percentile function. If your score percentage is in the top 5 percentile, you get the glowing sparkle. Or whatever the numbers are. Examples to back this up? Compare azure, during the testing, when for 90 days the scores were nothing. People putting down a single piece in carp -- 5 blocks down, 5 blocks scored -- 100% efficiency -- were getting sparkles. Over on the german server sparkles were much easier to get than here.

So the question "How many moves is a given score worth" depends. As more people do better, it will be worth less.

My experience: There used to be a time when a single 3 clear every swap would be a yellow pump; now it is a light blue pump. To get yellow, you have to get 4's and 5's, chains, 3x3's, or something else to get a higher percentage.

Now, a big unknown question: Does your ability to repair the ship/bilge the water/etc depend on your indicator (percentile ranking) or your efficiency score? This I have no clue on.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 17, 2004 1:28:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Is it worth is two move two peices to get a 4? Or is it better to just move one and get a 3? I've looked at my pump and I don't seem to see that much of a difference, but I want to check with the experts to make sure :-)
[Jun 17, 2004 10:03:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Errigand

From my bilgin' experiences, it's really tough to look at single moves or "should I do this...or should i do that" choices for every situation. On an individual basis, it's probably not going to help a bunch to make 2 moves to clear a 4 rather than a single move for a 3. But if those 2 moves for a 4 set you up for a 3x3 or could lead into a bingo...well...that's a different story.

I think you can fall into a trap in bilging where you end up making way too many moves. If you find yourself in a sequence where you need 2 moves to clear 3s...and you do that several times in a row, you're score is going to drop fast. You also can see the opposite, where everything clears nicely every move and your can climb quickly.

I try to set myself up for bingos as much as possible. They're easier than you think once you get the hang of it, and I've no problem making 3 moves to clean a single 3 if it moves up the piece I need to bingo immediately after it. The large clears boost your performance significantly more than choosing between a 3 or a 4 clear.

This is also why its strongly advocated to start on a board with a big move as your first move. Don't settle for less than a 3x3 to get started. And if you can bingo within 2 moves...grab it.

...Errigand
[size=9]Barkeep, a draft of yer finest rum, fer the world is slowly stepping into focus, and I generally don't like what I see.
[Jun 18, 2004 2:14:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

I always thought of this as the basic stuff...not now!
I think this will come in handy a lot when I start Bilging again.(I Bilge again once Sublime, Ultimate in Sails)

Lukealex.
[Jun 18, 2004 4:15:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yawl

Odd tidbit,

It seems that a 3x3x3x5 (not pictured) is also a Vegas.
Prometheus wrote: 
Brigands haven't changed. If they changed we would tell you. Brigands haven't changed. If they changed we would tell you. Brigands haven *bzzt* -wirr-

[Jul 26, 2004 2:15:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyroney

Technically, this isn't much of a tutorial. It's more of a list of diagrams...

Does anyone go around using extra moves for shifting horizontal 3's in specific places to move up other pieces to get ready for a combo? Do people who get good ratings depend on playing higher in the puzzle to increase their chances of lower-down bonuses? Are jellyfish better used on spread out pieces that are harder to connect, or more plentiful pieces that will temporarily reduce the variety on the board? (I know, that last one is more up for debate, or something)

Bilge is currently the thorn in my side, as I've tried all sorts of things in an effort to do better, and yet the best indicator I have (the pump) doesn't really seem to reflect my effort one way or the other. (I'm no slouch... recently I've been able to get all sorts of things up to legendary, even if I often throw them away to keep my ship running smooth despite my green crew.) And please don't assume I'm missing #x#x# combos, or something.

I have never seen a sparkling pump. It's been golden once or twice, (since feb,) orange-ish maybe three times during my recent efforts the past two weeks, and usually somewhere between blue and light blue. Is it just that sluggish? should I /bug it the next time I'm getting excellents for multiple reports in a row when my pump is barely light blue? Does it take over three bingos in an average-speed league to get more than an orange pump?

What is going on here? Sorry about the rant, but I keep suspecting that bilge is more about the random piece generation than any amount of my effort. Any input is appreciated.
[Jul 26, 2004 5:00:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.tyroney.com [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

tyroney wrote: 
Technically, this isn't much of a tutorial. It's more of a list of diagrams...

Sorry Uni, but he's kinda right here.

tyroney wrote: 
What is going on here? Sorry about the rant, but I keep suspecting that bilge is more about the random piece generation than any amount of my effort. Any input is appreciated.

The thing is (and I only figured it out this afternoon) that Bilge Pumping doesn't reward you for working fast, it rewards you for working smart. Take the time to get the pieces in the right places and the Incredibles just fall into place.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Jul 26, 2004 7:11:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyroney

ivazquez wrote: 
The thing is (and I only figured it out this afternoon) that Bilge Pumping doesn't reward you for working fast, it rewards you for working smart. Take the time to get the pieces in the right places and the Incredibles just fall into place.

Hmm... I guess I'll again try a more careful and though out approach for this next week. Though between "taking the time" and "get the pieces in the right places" what you suggest sounds like doing two things that should count against you. (taking longer, and using more moves) Perhaps getting used to quickly doing something (as yet undetermined by myself) that will end in more favorable arrangements is what you meant.

Though when you referred to right places, you didn't say if those places were for instant donkeys, or 8-swap bingos, or lucky 5 extra bonuses after your initial swap/remove...

So I'll be trying to create situations of bingos and such, and see if the time and less removing moves are worth the effort. And of course I'll be sure to whine if I'm still having issues.
[Jul 26, 2004 8:34:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.tyroney.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates