• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22729 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
bailet

Greedy Brigands First Impressions Reply to this Post

Hello! Today some mates and I tried out a bit of pillaging to test out the feature and thought I would post my first impressions.

A bit of info about the pillage:
There were 4 of us running on the hardest route on the ocean set to very hard brigands, three of us GM+.

First battle had no greedy brigands
Second battle had 2 greedy brigands and the battle went max-max. We were unable to strike any of the brigands for treasure due to the size of the board.

Third battle had a few more greedy brigands and we were able to strike one brigand for their treasure. The strike that was sent was a doubled 3x3 block.

The fourth battle had 5-6 greedy brigands out of the 8 bots. The battle went 1.5 rows - max and we were unable to powerfully strike a single bot and actually ended up losing the battle due to the strength of the sfers (the ship also had KB). Upon reengage, the greedy brigands disappeared and only two were remaining. We were again unable to obtain any treasure even after sending a bingo'd 3x3 block on the greedy pirate.

Upon first glance in the current state, it is incredibly difficult to build for a greedy brigand. It is very unclear as to what a "powerful strike" is, and it is seemingly random. The first treasure we obtained was simply from doubled 3x3, when in another battle a bingoed 3x3 simply killed the brigand with no loot.

This seems to be incredibly risky in elite pillages and seems to favor big ships the most. Elite small ships have bots that will completely destroy a player even in a max - 0 scenario and looking for the specific color that you need can result in a severe overbuild and resounding death.

There seems be a large luck factor in getting the pieces required to kill a greedy brigand, and it didn't seem that the combo on the correct color had a real factor in killing the brigand.

One of our sword fighters even said that they sent a vegas 2x2 of their color block, a very "powerful strike", however the brigand again simply died without relinquishing the treasure.

This brings me to a few questions for testing:
1. Do the sprinkles count, or only strikes?
2. Do the combos matter in an order for the color or do they simply need to include that color? Do combos even matter or does the physical size of the block matter?
3. Are the strikes and droppings scaled to reflect the battle? Are they more eager to drop treasure when they are maxed than not?
4. Is it favorable to grapple unmaxed battles just to have more time to build and more chances to force the loot from the pirates before they die to passive clears?
5. Is the loot that they drop going to be scaled to the ramp that the ship has? If not, it seems to be easily farmable by quick grappling green ships and taking plenty of time to force treasure drops every fight.
----------------------------------------
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Aug 9, 2016 12:31:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

Re: Greedy Brigands First Impressions Reply to this Post

my initial impressions are similar, though on a much lower level -- part confusion and part frustration.

what i tried was solo pillaging, and i can sincerely advise against it, because either the shooting goes well and the swabbies may happily kill your special brigand without reserve, or it doesn't go well, in which case you have to choose between losing the battle by avoiding the greedy till you have a block of the right colour, or winning before you have any such thing.

the treasure being earned is, as i understood from the game design thread, all up to chance, with it increasing by the size of the combo. this makes one feel quite frustrated. perhaps a message along the lines of "a mighty strike, but the brigand parries it away" would be a nod towards the poor pirate who can't get rich.

the blocks and miniboards are highlighted to the point of claiming your full attention, so no worries there.

that said, as soon as my sofa gets delivered, i'll be available for charting, jobbing, any other help. all i don't have is spare swords.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Aug 9, 2016 1:06:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

We just did a few battles with these greedy bastards or whatever they are called.

Firstly, thank god you guys are doing something to make pillaging more enticing even if it took a million years to get around to, we are greatful!

We spawned them quite easily with no greenies and one bot on board, but it was near impossible to win the treasure. Even with a couple of amazing sf's on board we only ended up with one treasure.

My early thought would be to maybe make the spawning rate less but make it easier to win the treasures. I have been playing for about 10yrs and i still fail at sword fighting, so obviously i would rather sacrifice a high spawn rate if it means actually having a chance of winning the treasure.

here are a couple of screenies i took for anyone interested : )

I am guessing that the fetish jar will be replaced with something else!
Wearable treasure items would be awesome! i want a diamond encrusted eyepatch thx!

Betty - Obsidian

Crip tells ye, "bout to turn on my balls warmer.."
[Aug 9, 2016 1:51:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Thanks for the feedback here, really appreciate it. I looked over the Ice logs and I can see that stealing treasure is currently too hard, I'll change that so the treasure drops are more common, and will update the Ice release notes once this is in effect.

bailet wrote: 
Upon first glance in the current state, it is incredibly difficult to build for a greedy brigand. It is very unclear as to what a "powerful strike" is, and it is seemingly random. The first treasure we obtained was simply from doubled 3x3, when in another battle a bingoed 3x3 simply killed the brigand with no loot.

Taking treasure is based entirely on the size of the block that you break. Combos don't increase the chance, otherwise everyone would just play the puzzle the same as normal. Players will have to make a decision about whether to prioritize knocking out the brigand (building combos, including small strikes) or stealing treasure (building up a large block of 1 particular color). There's definitely some risk involved, but it can be managed as long as one doesn't get too greedy. (har har)

bailet wrote: 
1. Do the sprinkles count, or only strikes?
No, you'll need to break fused blocks. Basically, any pieces on your board that show the new alternate piece art.

bailet wrote: 
2. Do the combos matter in an order for the color or do they simply need to include that color? Do combos even matter or does the physical size of the block matter?
Combos don't play a role, just the physical size of the block.

bailet wrote: 
3. Are the strikes and droppings scaled to reflect the battle? Are they more eager to drop treasure when they are maxed than not?
There is no scaling in that regard. Treasure drops are entirely based on the size of the block that is broken.

bailet wrote: 
4. Is it favorable to grapple unmaxed battles just to have more time to build and more chances to force the loot from the pirates before they die to passive clears?
That is possible, yes.

bailet wrote: 
5. Is the loot that they drop going to be scaled to the ramp that the ship has? If not, it seems to be easily farmable by quick grappling green ships and taking plenty of time to force treasure drops every fight.
The drops themselves are not scaled, but the number of greedy brigands that appear is. If you decrease your booty ramp through such tactics you will encounter much fewer greedy brigands and therefore have less opportunity to take loot.

There may be some incentive to prolong the melees to try and maximize treasure drops; I had mentioned previously possibly putting a timer after which no more treasure could be stolen, since I don't want these melees to become really long and boring. Let me know your thoughts if you poke at this some more.

saintdiana wrote: 
perhaps a message along the lines of "a mighty strike, but the brigand parries it away" would be a nod towards the poor pirate who can't get rich.
I'd be open to something like this, though I'd worry that it could become quite spammy. In larger battles, there's going to be quite a few messages coming through about pirates stealing treasure.

shadymermady wrote: 
I am guessing that the fetish jar will be replaced with something else!
Correct, that's just the placeholder functionality on Ice for now. As soon as we have enough treasure art ready, I'll update Ice with some new prizes. Congrats on stealing the very first treasure from the Greedy Brigands (according to the logs)!
[Aug 9, 2016 3:31:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

ok, so a 2x2 at the end of many many breakers is no powerful strike in this context. we're going to wish for a homunculus attack soon enough ;p.

i wouldn't put a timer on the treasure availability because it's another slap to the team if the sf pieces don't collaborate.

one other mention: on the very short pillage i managed to join, the person in charge went on attacking whatever came our way. those ships without greedy brigands became an indicator of whether they were our spawn or not. am i understanding it wrongly?
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Aug 9, 2016 3:46:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

i wouldn't put a timer on the treasure availability because it's another slap to the team if the sf pieces don't collaborate.
Good point, that would be really frustrating.

one other mention: on the very short pillage i managed to join, the person in charge went on attacking whatever came our way. those ships without greedy brigands became an indicator of whether they were our spawn or not. am i understanding it wrongly?
The greedy brigands are actually swapped in when the sea battle starts (based on your ramp, win/loss history, etc.), so it shouldn't matter if a brigand vessel was technically your spawn or not. If you happened to not encounter any greedies, it was most likely because it was still early in your pillage (and partially just chance). Let me know though if you run into more cases and it seems like it's not working as described.
[Aug 9, 2016 4:08:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Treasure-laiden enemies should perhaps be less agile in their melee abilties, unable to throw over as many strikes as often as usual and perhaps their treasure-packed clothing affords them some slight resistance or dampening from regular attacks.

Once they have been struck and their treasure starts to leak from their clothing, their resistances to regular attacks could fade. The loss of the treasure allows them to move more freely and perform moves akin to a treasure-less pirate.

If the treasure-laiden pirate is not struck by a powerful enough attack to spill his treasure, then after some time he may grow tired of his treasure-filled clothing bogging his attacks down and may throw the bulk of his treasure into an open hold in order to fight with more agility.

This scenario could help to provide window within which treasure-hungry pirates could try their best to create a powerful strike without KO-ing the greedy brigand, and with a little less disruption overall to their team allowing perhaps 1 or 2 fighters to produce something of note that has a chance to win their team some of the treasure on offer.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Sagacious at Aug 9, 2016 7:20:23 AM]
[Aug 9, 2016 7:09:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

I suppose it depends on the type of treasure found in the greedy brigand boxes, but if there are more than one tier of chest, wouldn't it make sense to weight the loot drop from the current ramp of the ship? For instance, the highest tier of box is more likely to drop for a ship that is 5 - 0 on an extremely hard route than it is for a 3 - 0 ship on an easy route?

I understand that the feature is meant to accommodate all pillagers, however I still have a few concerns regarding elite pillages:

Assuming that the current ramp persists, a standard elite run can pull upwards of 1k - 1.7k pre-divvy per battle in treasure, however the battles are *exponentially* harder than green runs with unstatted pirates. Without proper teaming and timed strikes, it is incredibly easy to lose a max - 0 battle, especially if the opposing ship has KB. Because of this, it is understandable that killing a greedy brigand in this scenario is going to be much harder than on something like a green route war brig.

This is due to the staggering difference in how the swordfights play out in different types of ramps. Sword fights in an elite ramp typically end very quickly for either side, and if the bots are left alone they will easily insta you even when maxed. Just because an elite ship can obtain more greedy brigands, I do not feel that this could proportionally increase their odds of winning treasure, but of course time will tell. Because of this, I would really like to see the ramp reward the ship that does manage to kill a greedy brigand on a high ramped ship instead of it being purely odds based.

Upon observation, it seems that there is a lot of advantage in "playing it safe" with your ramp. I always welcome the additional strategy that comes with new content, however there is much to be desired in moving away from luck based drops and ramp mechanics.

Assuming that the greedy treasure boxes work on a tier system:
1. Can the ramp of the ship play a role in the tier of box that drops? Elite ships run a significantly higher risk of losing the melee, should they be rewarded more than another ship?
2. Are the pay outs simply small bonuses or is it going to become worthwhile to somehow farm them on a mid-ramp ship?

A lot of how this update plays out will depend on how the ramp affects accessibility. It is of course important that all ships are able to spawn greedy brigands, however the randomness in drops cheapens the risk/reward system of high ramps.

I also have a few more questions on the strike mechanics that the bots use:
1. Is it favorable to make one large fused block, or many smaller fused blocks in the same break? For example, is it better to make a yellow 3x3/4/5 than it is to make one chain of 3 different 2x2 blocks?
2. Does the loot dropping strike instantly kill the bot?
3. Does the strike have to land on the bot to drop the loot or does the server kill the bot upon the player breaking the strike? For instance, if the bot dies before your strike actually had a turn to land, are you going to simply not get the loot for it and your strike is wasted?
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
[Aug 9, 2016 11:14:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
farmboy236

Question: How do greedy barbarians work?

Errrm, nevermind, the greedy boards still show up for barbs. Duh, no green rumble ball.
Majorjr on Cerulean
Littlemenjr on Meridian
Major on Emerald

Aristoza greeter chats, "Hello! I'm an Ocean Master, an administrator of this game. Please shut yer trap"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by farmboy236 at Aug 9, 2016 8:23:02 PM]
[Aug 9, 2016 8:12:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

bailet wrote: 
I suppose it depends on the type of treasure found in the greedy brigand boxes, but if there are more than one tier of chest, wouldn't it make sense to weight the loot drop from the current ramp of the ship? For instance, the highest tier of box is more likely to drop for a ship that is 5 - 0 on an extremely hard route than it is for a 3 - 0 ship on an easy route?

I worry that this is just going to increase the sense of elitism that so many players have cautioned against in the Game Design thread. If the best treasure only comes from the hardest difficulty ramps, then players are going to screen their jobbers and exclude non-elite pirates.

bailet wrote: 
1. Is it favorable to make one large fused block, or many smaller fused blocks in the same break? For example, is it better to make a yellow 3x3/4/5 than it is to make one chain of 3 different 2x2 blocks?

I'm not sure how much of these details I should give away, some of these strategies might need to be discovered. Part of it is also going to depend on which you can do more efficiently.
bailet wrote: 
2. Does the loot dropping strike instantly kill the bot?

No, taking loot is separate from defeating the brigand/barbarian.
bailet wrote: 
3. Does the strike have to land on the bot to drop the loot or does the server kill the bot upon the player breaking the strike? For instance, if the bot dies before your strike actually had a turn to land, are you going to simply not get the loot for it and your strike is wasted?

If your strike was part of knocking out the brigand, it still has a chance of earning treasure. Once the brigand is KO, you can't steal any more treasure.

farmboy236 wrote: 
Question: How do greedy barbarians work?

I just updated Ice with Greedy Barbarians a couple minutes ago. The board colors should match the piece colors correctly now.
[Aug 10, 2016 4:33:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

post-update attempt #1 was another unsuccessful business, such:
1. won sf
2. lost sf with 3 greedies
3. won sf w/ back to zero
4. won rumble w/ no gr.
5. won sf w/ again none
6. won rumble w/ still no gr.
ported in dismay.

these are reconstituted notes from vessel records, next time i'll write them down as events unfold, but overall it felt like a sudden increase and then stubborn decrease.

edit: attempt #2 went 0/2/2(loss)/0/1, all sf despite default setting, decent dnav and generous route (ei-shatter-fr). i'm now convinced that when you're the only fighter aboard that you can trust, it'd be a miraculous accident to knock off any treasure. in about 1h30, therefore, hopefully there will be at least ONE other person on ice to help out.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Edit 2 times, last edit by saintdiana at Aug 10, 2016 9:46:20 AM]
[Aug 10, 2016 7:11:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

We attempted to test out the greedy barbarians today, however upon entering the battle both players were unable to send a piece and we were d/ced by the server. We did not attempt another ship nor did we try the brigands to see if it were barbarian specific.
[Aug 10, 2016 8:02:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fourteen1414

I did 2 battles solo. First battle was barbarians and had 1 greedy. I got the treasure from him. The build did not seem to be much different than from a usual insta rumble kill. With the exception of charging much more in the greedy barbs color.
Second battle did not have any greedy brigands on.
Jimmyjimjim said:

No. You sir are the troll, with your threat of a ddos, oooo how E-thug you are. I cry bullshit. Ddos me then...what are you going to do fill up my forum inbox with your e-rage?

[Aug 10, 2016 8:37:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

it's not specifically greedy barbarians, not even of a certain colour (we had orange - stuck, blue - worked fine, again orange and stuck), but THEN a regular rumble melee without greedies had all humans resigned for "lag or other network slowness". however ill tempting it is to persist in lost battles, the more information we can give, the more likely that it can be fixed.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Aug 10, 2016 11:40:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kartossedai

Sooooo bug reports are failing for me right now, and I need to submit one :\

Every time I do the block to send at the Greedy Brigand, the entire block turns invisible. It's still there, but there's no graphic. If I add onto it, the new ones turn invisible too. I just updated my client from a long time ago today, so maybe I somehow didn't get the graphic in my update?
~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Aug 11, 2016 10:44:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I just did what I thought would be a short run. Ran on a sloop, 16 battles, all sloops. Generally good+ dnav, except for first league after starting was sometimes fine. Score is listed as (damage THEY took) - (damage WE took).

Started with me and pirate A. Set as hard to very hard pillage, with brigs AND barbs.
First battle: SF, Max - 1.5 (about 10 turns), no greedy, 6 brigands, won fray.
Ported (but not divided booty) between first and second.
Second battle: Rumble, Max - 1.5 (about 10 turns), 6 barbarians, one greedy, both pirates forced to d/c at start of fray, lost fray.
Third battle: re-engaged last ship, Max - 1 (about 6 turns), 6 barbarians, no greedy, forcible d/c again, lost fray.
Fourth battle: SF, 2.5 - 1 (about 6 turns), 6 brigands, no greedy, won fray.
Fifth battle: Rumble, Max - 1.5 (about 25 turns), 7 barbarians, no greedy, forcibly d/c again, lost fray.
Two pirates came aboard between battles 5 and 6 (Pirate B and Pirate C).
Sixth battle: SF, 5.5 - 2.5 (about 9 turns), 6 brigands, no greedy, won fray.
Between six and seven, ported to change settings to brigand only.
Seventh battle: SF, Max - 2 (exactly 9 turns), 7 brigands, one greedy, won fray. Greedy only had one chest to give, and Pirate A got it (Ethereal Locker).
Eighth battle: SF, Max - 3.5 (about 9 turns), 7 brigands, three greedy. Greedy #1 had only one chest, it was knocked loose. Lost battle (due to damage), but kept fetish jar (I knocked it out). During this battle, Pirate A got Greedy Poker, even though they didn't knock the chest loose.
Ninth battle: SF (re-engage). Max - 0 (exactly 10 turns). 7 brigands, none greedy. Won fray. Ship had blood.
Break (5 minutes or so).
Tenth battle (right after break): SF. 1 - 0 (exactly 7 turns). 6 brigands, one greedy. Brigand had only one chest, Pirate A got it (Ancient Locker). Won fray.
Eleventh battle: SF. 0 - 0 (exactly 2 turns). 7 brigands, two greedy. Greedy #1 had only one chest, Pirate B got it (cursed chest). Lost fray. During this battle, Pirate A got Greedy Handful (they had been on ships obtaining chests previous to this trip).
Twelfth battle (rengage): SF. Max - 4.5 (about 12 turns). 7 brigands, none greedy. Won fray. Won back one of our lost chests. Let BK expo go.
Pirate D joined between 12 and 13.
Thirteenth battle: SF. 3.5 - 4.5 (about 6 turns). 7 brigands, none greedy. Won fray.
Pirate C left between 13 and 14.
Fourteenth battle: SF. 4.5 - 2.5 (about 8 turns). 6 brigands, one greedy. Killed greedy brigand without treasure dropping. Lost fray. They ran away before we could re-engage.
Fifteenth battle: SF. Max - 3.5 (exactly 7 turns). 7 brigands, none greedy. Won (very close) fray.
Sixteenth battle: SF. 2-1 (exactly 4 turns). 6 brigands, one greedy. Greedy had only one chest, Pirate D got it (Antediluvian chest). Prior to Pirate D knocking it loose, both Pirate B and I had sent blocks to that brigand, each separately getting the Greedy Poker. When Pirate D knocked it loose, both Pirate B and I got Greedy Handful. Let BK expo go.

All of the disconnects came with this message:
The game wrote: 
Due to lag or other network slowness, you were resigned from the puzzle. Normally, the puzzle reports back to the server every five seconds, but yours did not report back for much longer than that. To prevent cheating, we are forced to resign players when we don't hear from them for a long period of time. We apologize, but we expect that the occasional resignation is better than finding out that the crew that just beat you and took your Kraken's blood was cheating to the high heavens.

Trophy requirements seem to be:
Personal: Greedy Poker. Send X blocks of gems of the correct color to a Greedy Brigand/Barbarian. The strike does not need to knock treasure loose to count.
Shipwide: Greedy Handful. Be on board a ship when a treasure is knocked loose from a Greedy Brigand/Barbarian 5 times.

Thoughts:
1) If you lose a battle with a greedy, it'd be nice to see them come back on the re-engage. But I can see how that might be abusable.
2) Not enough greedies. We lost 3 battles (none of them our fault), but it caused us to only see a single greedy the entire time.
3) The Greedy-Brigand penalties for losing a battle are, in my opinion, too severe. We went from three greedies, to none (fighting the same ship!), after losing a single battle. And that battle we lost? The ship gave us KB when we beat it.
4) Knocking treasure loose gives it to you immediately, not at the end of battle. This is a GOOD thing, in my opinion.
5) I noticed a bug where:
* a) I had a block of a brigand's color
* b) I switched to that brigand.
* c) The block correctly switched to its color
* d) I added to that color block.
* e) The block went normal-colored.
* f) Attack sent, killed brigand, no drop.
6) After sixteen battles (10-6), we had only won 5 chests, and only divvied 4. Seems like a lot of work for not enough chests. I know that we lost six battles, but this seems a bit steep (especially since three of the losses were out of our control).
7) Owl noticed that after every single win, the next ship had a greedy. The lone exception was when a pirate joined between the two.
8) Owl had another theory to explain the barbarian-only disconnects: If the ship takes damage in a rumble, all pirates are forced to disconnect, with or without greedies. Not a ton of data, but it fits all our battles this trip.
9) This may be a remnant of using SMH chests, but TAKE OUT VESSEL OWNER'S CUT. No, really.

Edit to add:
Tips for others running Greedy pillages:
1) Booty ramp matters. A LOT. A loss will hurt badly.
2) Greedy barbarians are still bugged. Don't do them until there's a new update.
3) Don't forget to team. When greedies pop up, team OFF OF THEM until you have a gem ready to send. Switch, send, and switch back.
4) Been mentioned before, but only gem SIZE matters, not a multiplier. A doubled 3x3 is no better than a single 3x3.

Edit to add: Pillage 2:

Started with 4 pirates: Me, Pirate A, Pirate B, and Pirate C.
Battle 1: SF. Max - 2.5. 5 Brigands, zero greedy. Won fray.
Pirate D joined.
Battle 2: SF. Max - 3.5. 6 brigands, 2 greedy. One greedy knocked out pre-treasure, other gave exactly one chest (I knocked it off, cursed chest). Battle gave KB, and BK expo.
Battle 3: SF. Max - 1. 6 brigands, 2 greedy. One greedy knocked out pre-treasure, other gave exactly one chest (I knocked it off, cursed chest).
Pirate E joined.
Battle 4: SF. Max - 1.5. 6 brigands, 4 greedy. Three greedy knocked out pre-treasure, other gave exactly one chest (Pirate D knocked it off, Antediluvian chest). Battle gave BK expo.
Battle 5: Cutter. BK (Widow Queen). 7 - 0.5. 10 barbs, 0 greedy. Won fray.
Battle 6: Fanchuan. Max - 2. 7 brigands, 5 greedy. Got no chests, barely won extremely close fray. Battle gave BK expo.
Ported.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 3 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Aug 11, 2016 1:58:30 PM]
[Aug 11, 2016 12:15:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Better try quick grappling barbs to see if it really has anything to do with damage.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Aug 11, 2016 5:30:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

jlh0605 wrote: 
8) Owl had another theory to explain the barbarian-only disconnects: If the ship takes damage in a rumble, all pirates are forced to disconnect, with or without greedies. Not a ton of data, but it fits all our battles this trip.

I really appreciate the info from everyone about the forced disconnects, I know that's super frustrating to run into. Your bug reports helped solve it, it was in fact connected to damage on the Rumble board. I'm putting together an Ice release with the fix now. Anyone who's commented here or submitted a bug report can PM me their preferred pirate/ocean if they'd like, and I'll drop a Forculus doll in your inventory.

kartossedai wrote: 

I just tested on Ice and was able to submit one successfully, a few other players have submitted today as well. It's possible that your bug report file grew too large to submit because of a constantly repeating error message. The log file should correct itself after a couple logins, but it does unfortunately make the original bug report unusable.

kartossedai wrote: 
Every time I do the block to send at the Greedy Brigand, the entire block turns invisible. It's still there, but there's no graphic. If I add onto it, the new ones turn invisible too. I just updated my client from a long time ago today, so maybe I somehow didn't get the graphic in my update?

Something might have gone wrong during the installation process. Could you try doing a fresh install of Ice? Sorry, I know that's a pain. Let us know if it fixes it or not.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Forculus at Aug 11, 2016 8:28:05 PM]
[Aug 11, 2016 7:18:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

I have done few battles on a baghlah last night and there's some few things I have seen :

1) BK expos are given out way too often compared to other expos (6/7 expos were BKs and some were invisible on the water (While showing on my map!))

2) Everyone disconnect when I took damage on rumble which caused us to lose 1 battle!

3) Brigand Kings doesnt spawn greedys!

4) Haven't seen a greedy in rumble so far!

Thanks for your hard-dedicated work forculus! Much appreciated!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Aug 12, 2016 2:21:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I have done few battles on a baghlah last night and there's some few things I have seen :

1) BK expos are given out way too often compared to other expos (6/7 expos were BKs)
I also noticed this. In the two pillages i was in yesterday, we won 5 expos, ALL BK. I don't know if that's a function of Ice, or of might ring/ship strength (both ships would have been strong ships on a production ocean with the pirates aboard), but it is a tad annoying. For what it's worth, I have *not* noticed this on Emerald.

Thanks for your hard-dedicated work forculus! Much appreciated!
Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and whatever else! And not only thank you for your work, but for your taking (and implementing) feedback.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Aug 12, 2016 9:03:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
kartossedai

Forculus wrote: 

kartossedai wrote: 

I just tested on Ice and was able to submit one successfully, a few other players have submitted today as well. It's possible that your bug report file grew too large to submit because of a constantly repeating error message. The log file should correct itself after a couple logins, but it does unfortunately make the original bug report unusable.

kartossedai wrote: 

Something might have gone wrong during the installation process. Could you try doing a fresh install of Ice? Sorry, I know that's a pain. Let us know if it fixes it or not.

I didn't reinstall yet because I hate how long it takes, but it looks like I'm going to have to since the rumble balls were also invisible, and the fellow pirates were flicking in and out whenever I was on the Greed(ling). Here's my ball screen:

It still gave me report error. -_- My net is kinda crap sometimes, so it probably messed up the install.

edit: and SF!

~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Edit 4 times, last edit by kartossedai at Aug 12, 2016 11:32:17 AM]
[Aug 12, 2016 10:08:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Fellow pirates disappearing is a bug currently present on the production oceans as of the previous update.
#TeamPurple
[Aug 12, 2016 1:52:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I've decided not to post my whole log this time, though I do have it.

Another pillage with the (currently) most recent update. 19 battles, went 14-5.

Barbarians worked, even when we took damage.

I was not able to do enough barbarians to trigger the barbarian trophy (though I wanted to!)

In addition to already mentioned bugs:
1) There was a case where I was not able to click engage to re-engage a ship, despite literally being on the button. The button was disabled until the ship had traveled almost off of the mini-screen.
2) It seemed to be ignoring pillaging settings, noticeably favoring barbarians. I was set to barbarians ONLY, and there was dnav of good+ most of the time. First two spawns were rumble, but the remaining spawns were 9 brigands and only 5 barbarians.
3) When I sent an orange (rumble, obviously) strike that knocked a chest loose, the Greedy brigand's background turned normal right away, but my board's changed orange stayed changed until after my next shot.
4) Flashing boards. It was described pretty well above, just mentioning that I saw it (I only saw the pirates going missing).
5) More missing graphics (the new charged stuff). The pirate this happened to has internet that is not necessarily stable enough to trust a file download, so they haven't tried a fresh install yet.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Aug 12, 2016 5:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Meehearties

I jobbed in with James for a few battles earlier and came across a couple of glitches. I was able to get one bug report in but the 2nd one wouldn't go through. I took 2 screenshots of what happened during greedy brigand battles.

So this is the first screenshot in the fight. The greedy brigand is still alive and all of a sudden i notice that when i click on him to send an attack a 2 x 2 block of green disappears on my screen. I should say it became invisible because while that happened i couldn't place anything where it was on the board.

then as soon as the greedy brigand dies my blocks reappear.

I had a similar glitch in rumble. I was clicking and building charges as normal then all of a sudden the individual punches were not visible. I could see each hand and I could click. The hands were changing colours as if to show that i was punching but i could not see where each punch was landing. Then everything reappeared and all of a sudden i had a full screen of crap.

I hope I have explained this well and it helps.

Mee
Meehearties
Hunter Ocean
[Aug 12, 2016 9:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Meehearties wrote: 
So this is the first screenshot in the fight. The greedy brigand is still alive and all of a sudden i notice that when i click on him to send an attack a 2 x 2 block of green disappears on my screen. I should say it became invisible because while that happened i couldn't place anything where it was on the board.

This is the same issue that kartossedai ran into, it seems that your client is not showing the new puzzle piece images. I'll take a look and see what's going on here.
[Aug 12, 2016 11:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kartossedai

Forculus, I uninstalled Ice, and both the Ice installers (normal and "full") won't complete because they say there's a webpage missing or something. :(
~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Aug 13, 2016 9:45:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Forculus, I uninstalled Ice, and both the Ice installers (normal and "full") won't complete because they say there's a webpage missing or something. :(

Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus/firewall software while trying to install. I used this installer http://download.ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoclient/test-install.exe

Asked if I wanted to run now because it was already installed, I selected no and selected yes for a re-install.

If that still doesn't work - assuming you're on Windows - go to this folder and delete everything inside:
%appdata%\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates Test

If it still won't install, drop me a PM
#TeamPurple
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Sagacious at Aug 13, 2016 11:17:53 AM]
[Aug 13, 2016 11:08:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

I had this issues as well, luckily it was able to install on my laptop so I simply installed it to my dropbox folder and ran it on my desktop.
[Aug 13, 2016 11:29:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruined_ashes

I've only did one Greedy Brigand so far, but it did seem overly complicated to me. There were only two of us on the pillage and with bots it became quite obvious there is no way to control who teams on them. Im sure this will be more a problem on bigger ships or ships with newer players on them. Also, you only have a very short amount of time to send any blocks when you're being attacked and if you full damage the other ship, you really can't send many. I didn't enjoy it much and the trophies I saw on another player are beautiful =]
I sometimes do avatars!
I do believe in fairies!!!
Book on Obsidian
Bookly on Emerald
[Aug 13, 2016 3:22:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I had this issues as well, luckily it was able to install on my laptop so I simply installed it to my dropbox folder and ran it on my desktop.

The most common reason is an ancient Ice installation existing on the computer still - so clearing out the %appdata%\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates Test folder should clear the error.
#TeamPurple
[Aug 13, 2016 3:41:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates