• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2210 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
superstarsam

Repeated PP:DS client closures Reply to this Post

I'm currently having a big issue with my dark seas client where it closes (disconnecting me) mid-puzzle with very high reliability at the end of every segment break in sea monster hunts, flotillas, etc.

This only started happening to me a couple of days ago and is - I am 100% sure - not related to my internet connection. I had on the same day followed the instructions in this thread concerning using multiple steam accounts to have several DS clients open at once, but not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling dark seas and, when that didn't work, uninstalling and reinstalling steam itself, to no avail. So posting here as a last resort. Has anybody experienced - or better, solved - this issue? It's severely hampering my ability to enjoyably play the game.
----------------------------------------
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian flavoured
[Mar 15, 2018 1:59:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Re: Repeated PP:DS client closures Reply to this Post

Hi again.

Someone suggested to me that I try the following in my steam client:

1) Right-click on PPDS
2) Properties
3) Local Files
4) Verify Integrity of Game Files

This told me I had "41 issues" with my files and redownloaded them properly, which seems to have fixed the issue. Just wanted to leave this solution in the thread should anybody else have the same problem in future.

Still not sure, by the way, whether what I did with the multiclienting was responsible for this.
[Mar 16, 2018 10:27:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

I was having this issue intermittently. I did as you posted and it returned the exact same number of files with "issues". I do not multi client. Will report at a later date if I run into the d/c problem again.

[Mar 16, 2018 10:55:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Verify Integrity of Game Files will nearly always return invalid file errors even if the install is fine - it's a kind of useless diagnostic feature for YPP Dark Seas.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Mar 18, 2018 8:17:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Verify Integrity of Game Files will nearly always return invalid file errors even if the install is fine - it's a kind of useless diagnostic feature for YPP Dark Seas.

Nonetheless, it seems to have fixed my issue. I subsequently tried to replicate the issue by "end-task"ing Steam with PPDS open (as the guide linked in OP recommends) and immediately had the same number of invalid files. It's not a tool I knew I could use to fix issues with the client, so I'm grateful someone pointed it out to me.
[Mar 18, 2018 8:41:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captntipper

Adding another test case:

Verifying integrity of game files showed 41 invalid files for me too. I also multiclient. However, I don't experience random client closures often; when I do, it seems to always be related to a hiccup in my connection (I've had streams failed to load the exact moment my client closes for example).

The only issue I'm experiencing is that when killing steam from task manager, 50% of times my client will become unresponsive, and I need to kill it too, relog to the same steam account, and try to repeat the process.
Captnnemo - Obsidian
[Mar 18, 2018 5:53:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

After a lovely week of uninterrupted game play, I had a random disconnect tonight.

[Mar 23, 2018 6:32:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Hi, yeah, this is happening to me again, big time. Seems like every time the client tries to do something transitional (go from the post-seabattle DR to the fray or resuming a puzzle after a segment break) it's kicking me (and others I have spoken to) off with a VERY high reliability. The aforementioned "verify integrity" fix seems to stop it for a little bit, but I don't know whether I've just got sample bias because the problem quickly resumes. I feel like it's something to do with lag, but I'm not really sure.
[Mar 23, 2018 6:39:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Hi, yeah, this is happening to me again, big time. Seems like every time the client tries to do something transitional (go from the post-seabattle DR to the fray or resuming a puzzle after a segment break) it's kicking me (and others I have spoken to) off with a VERY high reliability. The aforementioned "verify integrity" fix seems to stop it for a little bit, but I don't know whether I've just got sample bias because the problem quickly resumes. I feel like it's something to do with lag, but I'm not really sure.

I was having this when dual clienting by ending the boot strapper process. When I stopped dueling on steam I hand no problems. I have only dueled on land to pass things because of the d/c's. Not sure if it was a steam thing or my lap top just got confused as I noticed that it uses A fair amount of CPU and my laptops limited... It gets a bit to much with two clients going.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Want Kade Support post a intent....

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Filthyjake at Mar 23, 2018 7:16:07 PM]
[Mar 23, 2018 7:12:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
luki2000

Didn't want to open another thread, but I'm experiencing almost the same issues for a good week now. There was a silent update early april which was roughly the time it started. Not saying its the cause as i dont know what was done there. My Java Steam etc were untouched. (Not sure if it updated something behind my back like programs do these days). Disabling the Steam Overlay and resinstalling several times were effortless.

My client also doesnt close abrupt. I can still chat for a few seconds (so there has to be a connection) but cant click any buttons and I'll get thrown out of frays or puzzles. As Geologist said it happens a lot during scene changes. Windows tells me then that Java stopped working and asks me to close the client. If I click Yes I'm getting logged out (Fun times on SMH). Only killing the Java via advanced Task Manager gets me disconnected ("reclient").
I reproduced this crash three times in a row while trying to add funds to my steam account ingame.

Edit: I used to dual client, but havent done it for over a month (And I had no issues back then).
SuperLuki on Meridian, Emerald and Obsidian

[Edit 1 times, last edit by luki2000 at Apr 9, 2018 10:27:33 AM]
[Apr 9, 2018 10:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Happening to me on classic oceans, one client closes other doesn't the one I am playing on shuts down mid puzzle...
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.
[Apr 10, 2018 4:41:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Filthyjake wrote: 
Happening to me on classic oceans, one client closes other doesn't the one I am playing on shuts down mid puzzle...
Irrelevant to thread title.

Luki wrote: 
My client also doesnt close abrupt. I can still chat for a few seconds (so there has to be a connection) but cant click any buttons and I'll get thrown out of frays or puzzles.
You described it quite perfectly. Same situation here. I can't explain it but you can sort of "sense" the disconnect before it happens since the chat input lag is slightly different. Jumping into task manager and killing javaw.exe seems to be a quick workaround. If it happens mid-puzzle though.. sigh.

- Tried the verify files thing, no noticeable difference on my end
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Apr 10, 2018 5:07:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Filthyjake wrote: 
Irrelevant to thread title.

Sure unless it has to do with an update that was made.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Apr 10, 2018 6:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

You described it quite perfectly. Same situation here. I can't explain it but you can sort of "sense" the disconnect before it happens since the chat input lag is slightly different. Jumping into task manager and killing javaw.exe seems to be a quick workaround. If it happens mid-puzzle though.. sigh.

- Tried the verify files thing, no noticeable difference on my end

Quite so, yes. This hasn't abated in frequency for me and continues to occur in certain spots with a high degree of reliability. When I sense it's about to happen (either at a risky point like a grapple or when my puzzle starts getting laggy/choppy), I've found I can expedite the client closure by typing "." (or anything else) into chat, which causes the client to implode. This usually gives me enough time to get back into the game before the melee begins in a pillage, for example, but is no help in the aforementioned SMH break example.

Clotho gave me an interesting response to my most recent petition on the subject, suggesting that it was something going wrong with my antivirus and I might want to try making java an exception for the antivirus/firewall. Couldn't work out how to do this but the problem persisted when I test-disabled my firewall and antivirus so it doesn't seem to be that. I still can't quite work out whether the problem is occurring on YPP's end, on Steam's end or based on some conflict with my OS/other software; all I can say for sure is that these disconnections are not at all related to my internet connection.
[Apr 10, 2018 1:13:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

My Steam client crashed 1/3 of performing shipyard puzzle. I dropped down to ocean-wide skilled !!! (angry)

Samjones
All oceans
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Apr 12, 2018 7:18:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

My client was doing this the last couple of days. Last night during a kh it kept disconnecting and being weird. Checked my internet connection and it was fine just the steam client had issues
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Apr 13, 2018 7:58:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
luki2000

Clotho gave me an interesting response to my most recent petition on the subject, suggesting that it was something going wrong with my antivirus and I might want to try making java an exception for the antivirus/firewall. Couldn't work out how to do this but the problem persisted when I test-disabled my firewall and antivirus so it doesn't seem to be that. I still can't quite work out whether the problem is occurring on YPP's end, on Steam's end or based on some conflict with my OS/other software; all I can say for sure is that these disconnections are not at all related to my internet connection.

Went 2 days with PP on a whitelist. Nothing changed sadly (Using the latest Kaspersky).

[Apr 13, 2018 3:21:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
luki2000

Hi, it's me again.

Recently I uninstalled the Dark Seas client from my Hard Drive and installed it in a new Steam Library on another (older and slower) hard drive connected to my computer.
Because the Disk is very slow the whole client feels kinda laggy but I did only witness a single crash since I reinstalled it (which is a huge difference).

So as a heads-up for you: might try to install Dark seas to a (brand) new Steam Library or new Hard Drive if you have any. Might work, might not.

[May 17, 2018 2:11:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates