• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1348 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
magexen

Improving Obsidian for New Players and Players still on Emerald Reply to this Post

There are many reasons why Emerald Players might want to stick to Emerald and not come over to a PVP Server.

I would like to ask the newer players and the emerald players who haven't considered coming over to Obsidian, why haven't you moved over, and what is keeping you away from this ocean?

I think it would be easier to figure out what changes would be good for our Obsidian to improve on if we knew what reasons new players might be turning away from the game.

Some issues I can think off the top of my head as to why players would not want to move over to Obsidian permanently.

1. Too Much Invested on Emerald Already or you still own an island
- I guess that's why so many players can't leave emerald o.o'

2. Scared of PVP or having their Ship Sunk
- Doubloon delivery costs for ships are lower here which make ships cost a lot less, and PVP actually isn't all that common unless someone has been given a good reason to hunt you.

3. Would like to own a Shoppe permanently or a Non-SY Shoppe because Stalls are horrible
- Fair enough o.o' Islands aren't really all that developed here and the prospect of losing a shoppe and also being a point of competition hurts players pockets more than they gain

4. You like the High Stakes Poker on Puzzle pirates
- Ok.

5. I want to own a gallery or a mansion!
- Maybe we'll have one in the future

For New players:

6. I didn't even know this game existed.
- I guess that steam promotion did abit of work, maybe we could do more once obsidian is polished up abit more.

7. Ships take too long to load for me to even do anything, or play the game.
- This is why we need more players or a solution for it to bring back some new players.

8. It costs so much to buy clothes and not enough customization options.
- Something to look at, maybe a mix of subscription and doubloon except it doesn't require players to be on different servers?

What are some strong points that makes Puzzle Pirates stand out from other games that might be at the core of Puzzle Pirates Design?

1. The game has a living working economy ecosystem where some players have to own a stall and provide labor by playing puzzles to create the items needed in everyday pirate life.

2. Sea Battles are some of the most strategic, unique, dynamic and fun PVP Endgame Content that players can enjoy.

3. There are no level advantages that other players can gain for being an older pirate so the puzzling is based more on a players skill at the puzzle once you play enough to reach the highest board level you can reach with maybe only 1 hour of time invested.

4. Its pretty much open world, you can go pillage, run Expeditions or Sea Monster Hunts or test your skills in PVP Battles of SF, Rumble, Cards, BNav, you can manage stalls, do trade runs or forage islands for goods, you can docktart and be a fashionista, you can collect houses and familiars, you can poker and play cards all day or you can become a royal menace that fights for control of the ocean against other flags.

5. You can be creative with the game mechanics and find new ways to tackle difficult objectives or puzzles like Backwalling in an Atlantis hunt vs Sniping off Sea Monsters without getting too close, or making a loop that involves throwing things off the board in gunning to fill the last top right cannon that everyone seems to have difficulty with.
----------------------------------------
Elf - Obsidian
[Edit 8 times, last edit by magexen at May 9, 2018 8:03:14 PM]
[May 9, 2018 7:48:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Improving Obsidian for New Players and Players still on Emerald Reply to this Post

Many came, then left.

Reason's I know of for some:
Shop keeping isn't at fun
-Bid tickets lacking as no comod markets on most islands
-To risky to open a shop (lots of unknowns with the new power of governor)
PvP (The main oceans diferance)
-exploited by many making it useless
-rewards/trophies no value
-people attacking memmers/undermanned ships
-no interest in pvp and you get attacked dis, then reengaged
Factions
-no point to them
-forced war with 50% of the ocean some who are friends/allies
Slow Roll Out
-Game is the same as the classic
Promised Fresh Start
-This came and went within two months as people swiped their way to the top
Toxic Environment
-Its a game Obsidian is the most toxic ocean trash talk ect
Wealth
-Many had established a nice life on classic oceans
--Have fleet, shops, ect
--Ocean memed
--Labor alt army

Those are a few reasons I and a few I know have left. I gave it a fair go had most shops up and running. When you try it and its not as good as the classic you just go back to the better of the two. I still pop on for kades but that's about it. Haven't decided about the monthly seals yet.

As a marketer I have to ask this question what makes the new ocean so much better or different to draw the players or hold them there?
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[May 10, 2018 3:38:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Re: Improving Obsidian for New Players and Players still on Emerald Reply to this Post

It's as much a social game as it is a technical game. I'm surprised neither of you touched on that.

If most of your friends switched to Obsidian, so would you. If they opted not to, you're less inclined to make the switch alone.

That said, yeah Obsidian is still largely the same as the oceans before it, but it's nice that to receive Forculus' attention.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[May 10, 2018 5:30:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

It's as much a social game as it is a technical game. I'm surprised neither of you touched on that.

I guess that depends on your game style I have played fairly solo since I started I to play a fairly anti social pirate, I don't fit well in crews as I am not chatty, the flag politics are way past my interest in understanding. Just a puzzler, so for me the social game is very low, I am happy to take out the navy ships, the bots don't just up an leave.
[May 10, 2018 7:38:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lady_maeror

-To risky to open a shop (lots of unknowns with the new power of governor)

Um, who thinks its too risky to open a shop? Clearly you haven't been around Obsidian long enough.

The issue is there aren't enough islands for shops to be. Despite the risk there are no empty plots on player controlled islands. And on those player controlled islands there are heaps of stalls, and hundreds on the OM islands.
Aeyelle of the Viridian Meridian Ocean
Arianne of the Obsidian Ocean
[May 10, 2018 8:07:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Um, who thinks its too risky to open a shop? Clearly you haven't been around Obsidian long enough.

Because the ability for the shop to be closed will changed when there are more islands?

The ocean itself is to harsh on shop keepers (those that just like that side of the game). Your comod's get sunk, your shop shut down and you have to be at war when all you want to do is play the shop keeper side.

Even if their are 50 islands with shops the governor still can shut you down with a click of a button after you invest X (unknown what they or if they will sell for).
[May 10, 2018 9:52:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Literally none of the problems with Obsidian or Emerald popultions are due to in-game issues. Everybody's put so many hours of thought and posting into how to change pillages or tweak the economy or all those things, and they miss the central point.

Every game population declines. People leave for whatever various reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself and can't be addressed by the game itself.

What happens in healthy games is that new players coming in the front exceed the number of old players leaving out the back. And that hasn't happened here for many many years.

By today's gaming standards NOTHING about this game looks like it is worth spending money on by the time you reach the point where the game wants you to spend money on it.

New players only get in and stay in when existing players proselytize and extol the mid/late game virtues as to -why- you ought to stay. It doesn't stand up on its own anymore and hasn't for a while.

Yes, combining the entire playerbase onto one ocean would -help- so yes, trying to convince people to leave their oceans and all congregate on one would help. But since those people are also actively trying to convince people to leave their oceans and congregate on -theirs- instead, it is pretty clearly not ever going to work unless Grey Haven literally just closes every ocean but one.

Almost every problem for experienced players is either fixed or improved by increasing the number of new players. Any implementation that isn't explicitly aimed at bringing in and then keeping new players is not going to actually "save" the game at all.

Though there's an argument to be had for whether the better position for GH to take is "We want to work to bring in new players and try to revitalize the game" or "We accept that we've lost the ability to bring in new players, lets try to make the experience for the remaining enfranchised people as enjoyable as possible"
[May 10, 2018 9:58:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Closing

One of the biggest things I noticed when I joined the game is that everything is so locked off for new players. You can't play the parlor puzzles in the inn, you can't do any of the crafting puzzles... you basically have to step on to a ship and do the puzzle that the lead officer tells you to do.

This sucks and there is no freedom for new players coming in. What if I only want to play parlor games? Or I want to try Alchemistry but it's not a free day? There are so many interesting and fun puzzles that a new player could get addicted to but instead they are forced into pillaging or joining an SMH which takes a long time to load.

I think it would be good to free all the puzzles. Most people don't buy doubloons to buy badges - they'll usually go pillage for it. So it's not like GH would lose money from freeing things up. The bulk of doubloon purchases go to cosmetic items, ships, swords, houses, etc.

Maybe if GH doesn't want to go all the way with this, they could increase the amount of free puzzles to 2 or 3 per day, instead of just one.
[May 10, 2018 3:39:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Literally none of the problems with Obsidian or Emerald popultions are due to in-game issues. Everybody's put so many hours of thought and posting into how to change pillages or tweak the economy or all those things, and they miss the central point.

Every game population declines. People leave for whatever various reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself and can't be addressed by the game itself.

What happens in healthy games is that new players coming in the front exceed the number of old players leaving out the back. And that hasn't happened here for many many years.

By today's gaming standards NOTHING about this game looks like it is worth spending money on by the time you reach the point where the game wants you to spend money on it.

New players only get in and stay in when existing players proselytize and extol the mid/late game virtues as to -why- you ought to stay. It doesn't stand up on its own anymore and hasn't for a while.

Yes, combining the entire playerbase onto one ocean would -help- so yes, trying to convince people to leave their oceans and all congregate on one would help. But since those people are also actively trying to convince people to leave their oceans and congregate on -theirs- instead, it is pretty clearly not ever going to work unless Grey Haven literally just closes every ocean but one.

Almost every problem for experienced players is either fixed or improved by increasing the number of new players. Any implementation that isn't explicitly aimed at bringing in and then keeping new players is not going to actually "save" the game at all.

Though there's an argument to be had for whether the better position for GH to take is "We want to work to bring in new players and try to revitalize the game" or "We accept that we've lost the ability to bring in new players, lets try to make the experience for the remaining enfranchised people as enjoyable as possible"

Pretty spot on Devonin, though Dark Seas Obsidian right now is a failure, since the whole PvP planned war/factions since 2016 became exploitable.
The Main focus of new ocean Failed, and literally no way to come back from that while the ocean lost around 100-200 players. Plus there is too many oceans anyway, for classic oceans Emerald is the only Active Doubloon Ocean while the other 3 are dead. So therefore I agree with Devonin with Emerald as the only Doubloon Ocean, wipe the others, Nobody plays on Jade/Opal/Meridian. Create a new one for those players, since wiping emerald would be too risky in losing all of the playerbase.
I love Honey

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hidemyhoney at May 10, 2018 5:11:28 PM]
[May 10, 2018 5:09:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

The biggest obstacle I've found in getting people to play is that the game looks like the 1995 version of Excel, with the addition of a few MS Paint-drawn pirates added on top of it.

At the time of writing this, 23,947 games are available in the Steam store. Dark Seas is just one of these games. First impressions are so important when you're trying to get people to pick your game over the other 24k games people can play and unfortunately this game sets a horrible first impression. I looked quickly through the Steam catalog for the latest free indie games to be released - the latest I could find was from 2 days ago. In 2 days it already has more people trying it than Dark Seas has managed in over six months.

When I first installed the game in 2006 I remember thinking to myself, "ew, this looks old". 12 years later and it still looks the exact same. The look and feel of the game was a solid 1/10 back then and nothing has been done to address this, as we entered the age where look and feel is almost more valuable than the underlying game behind that.

People always try to argue that there's a market for little cartoony pirate-themed puzzle games. Perhaps everyone here is it, and we've already been and gone.
[May 11, 2018 5:53:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prammy16

Nlow we just need someone super rich to personally fund the infrastructure needed to upgrade the game, as well as pay the designers needed...

Any takers?
-Porglit on Emerald
-Shadetemplar on Obsidian
[May 11, 2018 7:01:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

The biggest obstacle I've found in getting people to play is that the game looks like the 1995 version of Excel, with the addition of a few MS Paint-drawn pirates added on top of it.

Old School Runescape is still attracting a new player base, and the graphics are arguably worst than YPP, although I suppose that's down to personal opinion.

So whilst yes, some players do look for graphics when they play a game (coupled with the judgmental undertone most people have - e.g. judging games by the first few images of it rather than trying it) it isn't the only thing people look for.

Fundamentally the issue is, and again I lean on OSRS (Old school Runescape) as an example of this, that there isn't enough player input into design. Yes, there has been evidence and examples of it, especially recently with the new ship. Is there enough? Likely answer is probably not since we have a lot of threads popping up, and staying open because the issues are not being addressed in any shape or form.

In OSRS, a major change to combat the in-game issue of botting drove a lot of the playerbase away, and as a result they implemented a polling mechanic to the game, to allow the whole active playerbase an opportunity to vote on potential changes to the game design and content. Only when a heavy majority voted in favor, would the change occur. Fundamentally, the reversion of the change they made without consulting the playerbase (which a majority hated and quit because of), brought a lot of people back coupled with much improved moderator-community interaction.

The unfortunate truth of YPP (from my subjective view), is that there is NOT enough player-moderator interaction with regard to updates in content/mechanics. Although, it is partly understandable - since there is only one developer...

I don't pretend to know how a small business works, let alone one running a game. Nor do I know the extent of each employee's role within Gray Havens. The simple conclusion is, for whatever reason, there is not enough community interaction from the Gray Havens team with regard to keeping a healthy META (Blockades, Game Mechanics). I'm positive even an hour open Q&A with devs/mods could lead to some cool ideas for game improvement, if taken at all seriously by both parties. But again, it would be naive to assume the amount of resources Gray Havens has access too (labour, investment, revenue).

It's a real struggle to make the game attractive to new players, when the community has real issues reaching out to the Moderators about making positive changes. The players play the game, and usually know what they want.

TL:DR, no hate towards moderation (acknowledged we do see some change (probably not enough), and in-game petition response is pretty quick), but there is not enough community-interaction or transparency.

Introduce polling, interact with the community, make positive QoL changes.
[May 11, 2018 8:48:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enterprisetm

The unfortunate truth of YPP (from my subjective view), is that there is NOT enough player-moderator interaction with regard to updates in content/mechanics. Although, it is partly understandable - since there is only one developer...

One developer who could surely do without the issues that OMs create with some of their answers to petitions..
[May 11, 2018 10:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captntipper

I wonder though, is OSRS pulling in more people than it did back in its day? Genuinely asking cause I have no idea and it is an interesting case. However, original RS did have a ton more players than PP ever had.
Captnnemo - Obsidian
[May 11, 2018 2:33:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

The simple conclusion is, for whatever reason, there is not enough community interaction from the Gray Havens team with regard to keeping a healthy META (Blockades, Game Mechanics). I'm positive even an hour open Q&A with devs/mods could lead to some cool ideas for game improvement, if taken at all seriously by both parties. But again, it would be naive to assume the amount of resources Gray Havens has access too (labour, investment, revenue).

I already tendered a very serious and legitimate offer to fulfill this role, based on years of experience in community management and customer service. And It's still very much on the table. I would absolutely take on, free of charge, the job of being a liason between GH and the playerbase.
[May 11, 2018 5:35:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

I already tendered a very serious and legitimate offer to fulfill this role, based on years of experience in community management and customer service. And It's still very much on the table. I would absolutely take on, free of charge, the job of being a liason between GH and the playerbase.

Out of interest have you e-mailed the company with your CV and offer? Would be interesting to hear the response, or rather, gain a little insight.
[May 12, 2018 2:08:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

I think either big changes are coming in the next few months or none at all. The is no real middleground.
There is only so much we can do other than buying doubloons and giving feedback, so lets hope the next time we hear big news its not about them shutting down the game but rather about them turning the course of the ship and changing things drastically with involvement of the community.

I think even a gofundme page would be nice if they'd need to run a marketing campaign or hire temporary developers/artists for projects.

Edit: A new colorful interface that doesn't look like 1995 Excel would be great.
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Goodwill100 at May 12, 2018 7:47:47 AM]
[May 12, 2018 6:58:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Out of interest have you e-mailed the company with your CV and offer? Would be interesting to hear the response, or rather, gain a little insight.

Greyhavens.co as a website stopped being functional a while ago. I'm unaware of any actual contact information for the company that is not "posting in the forums" "PM'ing an OM" or "Opening an in-game petition"
[May 12, 2018 1:29:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

Greyhavens.co as a website stopped being functional a while ago. I'm unaware of any actual contact information for the company that is not "posting in the forums" "PM'ing an OM" or "Opening an in-game petition"

Could always e-mail support, and ask them to pass it onto higher powers.
[May 12, 2018 3:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whyknot7

The topic should be changed as why obsidian dont come to emerald..
Since when obsidian is a major ocean?
[May 15, 2018 3:00:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Since it was released in June 2017?
Jcmorgan on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[May 15, 2018 4:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whyknot7

Since it was released in June 2017?

Please read history of ypp through Yppedia.

Sage ocean merged Hunter became Emerald..

Etc etc..

obsidian is a new child while emerald is a big Oak.

Please dont make funny suggestions.
[May 15, 2018 4:49:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lady_maeror

Emerald and Meridian are as old as each other. Emerald was lucky in that it kept a lot of its players, whilst Meridian players grew up or got bored of the game. Many of former Meridian, Emerald and Jade players have come back to Obsidian.

Funny suggestions? Since Emerald is such a big oak as you call it, it's too out of reach for new players to get into. There is old money there and Obsidian is a fresh start for a lot of old players returning and new players joining. The playing field is more leveled from an outside perspective. If you believe Obsidian isn't a major ocean you're living under a rock. Since launch Obsidian player base has been rivaling Emerald's.
Aeyelle of the Viridian Meridian Ocean
Arianne of the Obsidian Ocean
[May 15, 2018 6:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

Emerald and Meridian are as old as each other. Emerald was lucky in that it kept a lot of its players, whilst Meridian players grew up or got bored of the game. Many of former Meridian, Emerald and Jade players have come back to Obsidian.

Funny suggestions? Since Emerald is such a big oak as you call it, it's too out of reach for new players to get into. There is old money there and Obsidian is a fresh start for a lot of old players returning and new players joining. The playing field is more leveled from an outside perspective. If you believe Obsidian isn't a major ocean you're living under a rock. Since launch Obsidian player base has been rivaling Emerald's.

And it actually had a higher population for a significant period of time (significant with regard to the age of the ocean: 11 months). I'd agree that for that period of time where Obsidian has 100-300 more active players than Emerald, that Obsidian was the major ocean. Not sure of the statistics currently, but it does certainly seem like there is no one abundantly popular ocean like there was a few months ago.
[May 15, 2018 8:00:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whyknot7

Obsidian population is on the decline however emerald old pirates wont give up the game easily.

There were old money mentioned;

Well im ready to give up my some millions lots of ships shoppe etc for a fresh start tomorrow.. start with 0 poe if oceans merged.
[May 15, 2018 8:20:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Obsidian population is on the decline however emerald old pirates wont give up the game easily.

There were old money mentioned;

Well im ready to give up my some millions lots of ships shoppe etc for a fresh start tomorrow.. start with 0 poe if oceans merged.

As in move to the classic system or the new, both have their flaws.

Obsidian's not that appealing to players that are causal, or not into pvp/forced war. Not to mention the useless, flawed, and exploited pvp reward system they bootched horribly.
[May 15, 2018 9:26:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vyngaard

Devonin said: I already tendered a very serious and legitimate offer to fulfill this role, based on years of experience in community management and customer service. And It's still very much on the table. I would absolutely take on, free of charge, the job of being a liason between GH and the playerbase.

If you haven't already posted about it, please let me know how your "serious legitimate offer" works out for you as I made an offer of my own and was denied within days. Typical support response stating they are not currently hiring and should they do so in the future it will be posted on the forums.

Offered to buy or lease the rights to the franchise as well but that one they just ignored.
[May 15, 2018 7:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

It sounds like you were looking for a paid gig, which I'm not.

It sounds like you proposed a buyout without any real basis for them to think you were serious or capable, which I'm not.

Also, at least on that account, given your creation date and postcount, you are approaching them as "Some dude", which I'm also not.

That said, I'm not exactly pursuing donating a full time job worth of time to its utmost, but the offer is completely legitimate and stands.
[May 15, 2018 9:56:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vyngaard

It sounds like you were looking for a paid gig, which I'm not.

It sounds like you proposed a buyout without any real basis for them to think you were serious or capable, which I'm not.

Also, at least on that account, given your creation date and postcount, you are approaching them as "Some dude", which I'm also not.

That said, I'm not exactly pursuing donating a full time job worth of time to its utmost, but the offer is completely legitimate and stands.

Wasn't looking for a paid gig at all. Was looking to work for free full time on a game I've loved and invested thousands of hours in over a period of no less than 10 years. They know who I am even if at first glance it looks shady.

Point is... I got a response in a couple days telling me they weren't currently interested in hiring and if they did they would post about it.

I mean that is more response than you got right? So at that point who are they taking more seriously the one they ignored or the one they responded to immediately?

Obviously they don't want to sell if they did they wouldn't be sitting on the product without working on it. They believe they need to maintain ownership to protect the asset and that is technically their right as an owner just would be nice if they were more open to allowing people to work on the product for free within reason. Essentially I'm backing you up here... Not sure why you felt the need to assume I'm really any different than you are.
[May 16, 2018 7:13:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates