• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 305
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 107757 times and has 304 replies Next Thread
RedSeaWitch

Re: This looks VERY promising..... Reply to this Post

Only one problem. I cannot get the Market Bidding information to download into the tool. After clicking on import with the MB window open, the YPP window gets focus, Windows 7 makes some noise and then it just searches forever. If you click on the OCR import window you get a pop up message stating "Fatal error while trying to detect the columns in the market data window".

If someone can tell me how to fix this my trading life will be complete.

cheers

Chookfowler
Midnight.

Market Bidding isn't included. He mentioned that someplace else in this thread. I have a manual spreadsheet for that on Google Docs. Works well. Not that big a deal to manually input info. Actually, I prefer it, because I keep previous day data as well, to get a curve.

Glad you enjoy your new toy.
----------------------------------------
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Aug 30, 2010 11:56:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Messa77

Re: Ahoy again, all Reply to this Post

Multiple platforms

I've said that the next big version of the Trade Profiteer will be cross-platform. I'm actively investigating and learning a framework that I will likely be employing to that effect. Everything appears like it will go smoothly, and it is actually in light of that framework that I made the above proposal.

Don't expect packages for Windows, Mac, and Linux to be released simultaneously, at least not up front. Windows will be supported first, then Linux will be tested. If I can get my hands on a Mac (preferably) or a good developer with a Mac, then that will come when it can.

If you can't get your hands on a Mac, I'd be happy to test stuff for Mac on my laptop. I am not a developer myself, but my husband does software for embedded computers, does a lot of code porting and cross-platform work with custom setups, and has been a linux guru for more than 15 years. I'm quite a bit ahead of the average user when it comes to computers, and my husband can help me with some of the early troubleshooting stuff. I might even be able to get him to test some of the Linux features for you if you run into any serious troubles.

Send me a PM if you want to talk specifics for what you will need and how I can help.

Messa of Malachite
[Sep 1, 2010 2:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Only one problem. I cannot get the Market Bidding information to download into the tool.

Market bidding information is not read into the Trade Profiteer because that information is useless. What matters with market bidding is the ticket itself. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding as to how the market bidding actually works, but I assure you there is no point to downloading the market bidding information, and it will never be included in the Trade Profiteer.

Entering and saving bid tickets you have purchased, however, is an idea I'm designing, one of the other benefits, among many others, of having local data available in a standalone application that doesn't require a web browser.

If you look at the Market Bidding tab in the Trade Profiteer, you enter the details of the bid ticket you have already purchased and with that information it determines where you can sell the goods for a profit and how much profit you can expect.

It used to drive me insane when people would take advantage of my good work and beat me to the bargains before I had finished uploading all the data from every island with Pirate Commodity Trader (which can take up to 30 minutes or more).

And a huge debate was sparked about 2 years ago in the PCT Bleach thread about which one is better. I think the argument stalemated, but let me put it this way, I wouldn't have developed the Trade Profiteer if I didn't think keeping the data local was the better option.

If you can't get your hands on a Mac, I'd be happy to test stuff for Mac on my laptop. I am not a developer myself, but my husband does software for embedded computers, does a lot of code porting and cross-platform work with custom setups, and has been a linux guru for more than 15 years. I'm quite a bit ahead of the average user when it comes to computers, and my husband can help me with some of the early troubleshooting stuff. I might even be able to get him to test some of the Linux features for you if you run into any serious troubles.

Keep an eye on this thread for announcements.
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Sep 3, 2010 2:00:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chook_fowler

Market bidding information is not read into the Trade Profiteer because that information is useless.

Here is where I have to disagree. Living and working in Xi on Midnight, I have to search for stuff to bid on all over the place. Highly populated places tend to have the highest bids and getting lower end bids to fill in these high pop archipelagos sometimes takes weeks or months. Knowing the state of play on the outpost islands I can decide where to bid and what amounts I should be aiming at. It takes less than 30 seconds to add in the market info with the other stuff on PCT and it's something I use regularly. I'm not talking about trading here, I'm talking about restocking shops and stalls. No one in their right mind buys raw materials dockside.

If you can add that to the wish list you would make an old chook very happy.

Fowler.
[Sep 5, 2010 6:54:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Here is where I have to disagree. Living and working in Xi on Midnight, I have to search for stuff to bid on all over the place. Highly populated places tend to have the highest bids and getting lower end bids to fill in these high pop archipelagos sometimes takes weeks or months. Knowing the state of play on the outpost islands I can decide where to bid and what amounts I should be aiming at. It takes less than 30 seconds to add in the market info with the other stuff on PCT and it's something I use regularly. I'm not talking about trading here, I'm talking about restocking shops and stalls. No one in their right mind buys raw materials dockside.

Yes I'm aware of the difficulties with making bids themselves. On the outposts and lesser-traversed islands, the bid prices are lower but the tickets tend to take forever to fill. On the larger islands, the prices are higher but the tickets fill faster, if your bid price is up around the high price, and if you want a lower price you must wait, assuming the price comes down. The volume at the highest bid price also affects how quickly the ticket will fill. I've run into that myself on Viridian.

Let's make sure we're on the same page, though, on importing and storing that information in the Trade Profiteer database for some feature to make use of. What should that feature do? What do you have in mind? Currently I see no value in storing that information, but I'm willing to be swayed.

What you've described, however, could be accomplished with a simple spreadsheet, Notepad, or even a piece of paper: noting the current bid prices and volumes on islands as you hop around an archipelago deciding where to bid or even whether to bid at this time. So what is the point in storing off the current bid price for a commodity at an island?
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Sep 5, 2010 9:15:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chook_fowler

Market bidding and my 2 cents worth Reply to this Post

The easiest way to describe where I am at is probably to go through all the reasons I use PCT in the first place and give you some ideas.

First and foremost, I was using PCT as a gem trading tool (since those awful changes). I would determine the best prices, load up the best 24, shuffle them onto a single sloop and then use PCT to determine what else I could trade to cover the cost of the rum and the swab trips back to the base islands of any moved ships.

This would involve traversing every trading island on every archipelago and uploading the market information (using "home" based "alts" made this much easier). As I was already at the spot, I would also upload the bidding info at the same time as it only took another 15 - 20 seconds to do it.

After the gem run, I would then jump back into PCT and work out the best prices for replacement rum/grog/swill and balls if required. Naturally I always had a good stock of well priced ales and would also include moving it at trade time if required. Generally, by watching the pricing regularly you could load up ships in any archipelago by using PCT and grabbing a bargain as long as the data was up to date.

Once everything was reset, I would then start looking around the bidding system and determine where the value was and place the odd bid. (At this stage I am in the process of securing enough stock to open an Apothecary). I compare the purchase offers, the dock side prices and the bid prices/amounts to determine what best suits my needs. This is stock I am going to use myself, not stock for trade and it usually sits filled until I can get another trading vessel heading in the right direction to deliver it, killing two birds with one stone.

As I had temporarily stopped gem trading due to work commitments, I was using PCT for the pricing and bidding aspect only. Once work stabilizes I will again revert to my trading ways. At this point in time I have also been run off my feet with hemp oil orders (thanks to these "special" ships) so I've been kept pretty busy with wood and hemp transporting.

The final use of PCT was purely selfish. Each week I offer enough swill at some ridiculous price with a view to make my rent. I upload my home island data onto PCT so if anyone looks for cheap swill, it stands to reason they'll find mine and buy it. (Obviously I would still use PCT for this).

More on the bidding side, I already keep track of everything I purchase, including the cost of swill to move it, as I'm pretty determined to make a success of any businesses I run. This is why having the bid data is so important. Stalls on some islands sell items at prices tantamount to giving it away, and if I can't compete I may as well go out of business. That is why I have to get the best prices for the goods I use to make the products to sell. Some items are only available at two islands in the entire ocean and you really need to calculate if the added distance and rum cost is indeed a saving. By using ALL the data together in PCT I can actually determine this. I would much rather spend 15 seconds doing an additional upload than writing the data down and entering it into a spreadsheet. I already run a spreadsheet to keep track of all my ships and their on board commodities and I can see at a glance which bid tickets are for what and where on the booty tab. I also spreadsheet the profit margins and commodity prices for my businesses as well.

The idea of having all of that information to my self appears wonderful, as I have been caught out so many times by people who beat me to the punch when I upload the entire ocean data. The idea of having to take more than 30 minutes because I have to add the additional bidding data into a spreadsheet defeats the "all round" purpose.

I hope you can see that I use the information for much more than just trading.

cheers

Chook Fowler
Midnight
[Sep 7, 2010 3:45:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Ahoy everyone!

RedSeaWitch pointed out to me that there has recently been a change to the terms of service regarding third party software. I have reviewed the rules posted to the Yppedia and found that the Trade Profiteer -- both existing versions -- complies with this rule:

Reading information directly from the client

Third party software may read any text that is normally visible to players in the client while not playing a puzzle.

The Trade Profiteer, like virtually every other program like it, reads the market data, and that data must be visible in the Y!PP window before it can be accessed and read by the Trade Profiteer. None of the other rules listed in the terms apply to the Trade Profiteer.
[Feb 25, 2011 7:27:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Thanks for the affirmation, Brandishwar.

I knew it, just thought it might be good for you to verify
Windwench
HS on Viri:
[Feb 25, 2011 9:44:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

This was broadcast in Viridian (and probably all oceans) tonight:

Galene broadcasts, "Just another warning, mates. Anybody wishing to do YPP business but insisting it be discuss outside of YPP, is probably hiding something. A scam attempt, a keylogger, something! There is a reason they want to hide it!"

Galene broadcasts, "Especially if they're offering "Free Stuff". That translates to "I want to steal your account, but can't discuss it on YPP because they'll catch me then!""

To reiterate the disclaimer from my web site:

No person who is employed by or represents Colony West Software Company will ever ask you for your username and/or password for Puzzle Pirates. If any person contacts you claiming to represent Colony West Software Company and requests your username and/or password for the Puzzle Pirates system, refuse the request and contact Colony West Software Company immediately. You should never give your username and password to anyone, and no person employed by or representing Colony West Software Company will ever be in need of it to provide support for this product.

If you approach me on Viridian or Midnight, or outside Y!PP seeking support for the Trade Profiteer, I will NEVER ask you for any information regarding your Y!PP account. The Trade Profiteer also cannot access anything that would provide information regarding your account. The database file is freely viewable using any utility that can view an SQLite database file, so you can see any and all data that the Trade Profiteer uses. If you are concerned that the Trade Profiteer may be gathering information and submitting it someplace, then configure your firewall to block the application. The only feature you will be disrupting is its ability to check my web site for a new version.

This is the central reason the Trade Profiteer is a complete standalone application instead of something that must upload information elsewhere before it can become useful. With any software whose primary purpose is to access an external resource on the Internet, you run the risk of information being gathered about you and recorded elsewhere without your knowledge. As the Trade Profiteer does not submit any information anywhere, which can be easily verified by blocking it with a firewall and still seeing it function, the Trade Profiteer will not in any way compromise your account.
[Mar 21, 2011 12:57:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

While I agree with your warnings to not give any account information to any other than employees of OOO, I strongly object to the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) you libel other programs with.

First, you contradict yourself. You say that your program *does* connect to your servers to see if there is an update, and that is *all* you need to track user information and/or upload sensitive information.

Second, this FUD is especially objectionable with regards to the YARRG program. Any implication that Ian Jackson might not be trustworthy flies in the face of him being a key developer in the most important Linux distribution. You and your company will never have the level of trust that YARRG has until such time as you develop critical code used by millions of people.

Third, I can and have verified what is being uploaded by PCTB/YARRG because they are open source and I can read the source code. I can not verify that your program doesn't contain code to infect your computer and, if the "check for new versions" works, upload account information and such, because your code is closed source.

The Trade Profiteer also cannot access anything that would provide information regarding your account.

Bull. You can access everything in the YPP directory, along with everything else that the user has on their computer. You can easily get a list of all accounts that a player has used via the java configuration information. You can read through the chat logs, and such. You certainly *can* access stuff that would provide information regarding the user's account.

The database file is freely viewable using any utility that can view an SQLite database file, so you can see any and all data that the Trade Profiteer uses.

Bull. What you store in your database has nothing to do with what other stuff you can gather.

If you are concerned that the Trade Profiteer may be gathering information and submitting it someplace, then configure your firewall to block the application. The only feature you will be disrupting is its ability to check my web site for a new version.

This shows that you are either ignorant of security (probably the case) or are deceiving people. It is trivial for any application to get around such firewall checks.

With any software whose primary purpose is to access an external resource on the Internet, you run the risk of information being gathered about you and recorded elsewhere without your knowledge.

Bull. Indeed, many of the most malicious programs are designed to look benign, "software whose primary purpose is to access an external resource" has nothing to do with being less likely to be safe to use.

Trade Profiteer will not in any way compromise your account.

Personally, I believe you here. I very much doubt that your software does anything malicious, but I find it very objectionable that you are trying to make it sound like your software is somehow more trustworthy than other systems.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Mar 21, 2011 8:06:48 AM]
[Mar 21, 2011 8:06:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

And you drastically overestimate and overstate my abilities as a software developer, making it sound like I can write an application to do all the things to which you've alluded herein. In your comments you also seem to forget one key point: a program can only do that which it has been programmed. What I might be able to write the Trade Profiteer to accomplish and what I have written it to accomplish are two very, very different concepts.

First, you contradict yourself. You say that your program *does* connect to your servers to see if there is an update, and that is *all* you need to track user information and/or upload sensitive information.

How have I contracted myself? I never said the Trade Profiteer does not connect to the Internet. In fact I believe I've said before in this forum thread that the only purpose it has for connecting to the Internet is to check for a new version. However its primary purpose is not to upload information anywhere else.

While what you've said is true, the only information to which I have access when the application checks for a new version is the IP address from which the version check originates. And I have that only if I check the logs on my web server -- which is extremely rare, my web host probably checks them far more often than I do.

Second, this FUD is especially objectionable with regards to the YARRG program. Any implication that Ian Jackson might not be trustworthy flies in the face of him being a key developer in the most important Linux distribution. You and your company will never have the level of trust that YARRG has until such time as you develop critical code used by millions of people.

I don't know Ian Jackson -- never heard the name before now -- so I will have to go on your word that he is who you have claimed. I have seen YARRG and JARRG and tried both. Plus I have written code used by millions of people, and I have written code used in very critical settings.

Third, I can and have verified what is being uploaded by PCTB/YARRG because they are open source and I can read the source code. I can not verify that your program doesn't contain code to infect your computer and, if the "check for new versions" works, upload account information and such, because your code is closed source.

You sound like you have a lot of technical expertise, meaning you likely have the knowledge to put trackers around the Trade Profiteer to see exactly when it connects to the Internet and for what purpose. There are all kinds of utilities available that can be used to monitor processes on a system and what they access. One such utility is called "Process Monitor". Ethereal is available for monitoring how it connects to the Internet and what it sends. Fiddler is available to monitor HTTP connections specifically.

Plus even if I made the Trade Profiteer open source, only a few people of the entire user base would be able to actually read and understand it, meaning my assurances behind it or the assurances of others who are technically knowledgeable are needed to help others determine if a particular application is safe to use. So while *you* can read and understand the source code, I doubt most of YAARG's user base can read and understand it.

Bull. You can access everything in the YPP directory, along with everything else that the user has on their computer. You can easily get a list of all accounts that a player has used via the java configuration information. You can read through the chat logs, and such. You certainly *can* access stuff that would provide information regarding the user's account.

The Trade Profiteer is in no way programmed for such a purpose. The Trade Profiteer cannot do anything more than it has been written, meaning the only file it will access, aside from any system DLLs it must load to operate, is the database file that is distributed with the Trade Profiteer.

Bull. What you store in your database has nothing to do with what other stuff you can gather.

What *can* be gathered is far different than what *is* gathered. Again the Trade Profiteer doesn't gather any information about you, your computer, your Y!PP account or any other accounts you might access through whatever means, or anything else for that matter. My God, through your entire response you've implied that I've written the Trade Profiteer to be a system monitor and keylogger, that it has hidden, secret code that will infiltrate or compromise a user's account or steal other information.

Again the database (trader.db) is the only file and information with which the Trade Profiteer interacts. The only exception to this statement is that the version 1.0.x releases also access the Windows registry to determine of certain Y!PP settings are within requirements for "scraping the screen".

This shows that you are either ignorant of security (probably the case) or are deceiving people. It is trivial for any application to get around such firewall checks.

Trivial? Okay I need to do some research to find out how trivial that really is. But then again I've never needed to figure out how to bypass a firewall application, so I don't know how to do this. And even if I did, why would I? This means that configuring your firewall application (such as the Windows Firewall or ZoneAlarm, among others) to block the Trade Profiteer from accessing the Internet will only interfere with its ability to check for a new version.

Bull. Indeed, many of the most malicious programs are designed to look benign, "software whose primary purpose is to access an external resource" has nothing to do with being less likely to be safe to use.

I agree that was an overstatement.

Personally, I believe you here. I very much doubt that your software does anything malicious, but I find it very objectionable that you are trying to make it sound like your software is somehow more trustworthy than other systems.

Yes I did overstate things in my short statement and provide implications beyond my intention with the second paragraph where I speak beyond the Trade Profiteer, and those implications should not have been made.
[Mar 21, 2011 12:25:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
feyatena

Lots o' luck on trades =) Reply to this Post

Ahoys mates. I had been using the PCTwithBleach (that crabdance site) years ago I seem to have only slight problem with it so I was hoping to get it again, until I stumbled on a link that has got me watching the thread on PP Trade Profiteer.

So curiosity made me download it instead of what I was using before. Seeing the options made me thrilled only to get disappointed when it gives me the message "PP does not appear to be running, or no clients are running for the Viridian ocean." I'm wondering what's causing this...

My windows is Windows 7, I have disabled the antialising stuff , noticed that my Java is version 6 update 25 (so could this be the culprit...), then I don't have any other techy things to mention coz I'm not a wiz at softwares and the likes, I just want to have a fun quality time while puzzling, mostly running an active distillery in Garden Cradle.

I'm hoping to get assistance on this. I'll very much appreciate a response. Thank you. More power on improving the site <3
Youshen and who else I can be-catch me if you can ^_^
[Jun 3, 2011 12:50:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Re: Lots o' luck on trades =) Reply to this Post

Interesting timing with your post as I'm getting close to releasing a new version of the Trade Profiteer that fixes a lot of the problems that exist in the current version. Redseawitch has already seen a video I made demonstrating some of the new functionality including a vastly improved data import system. Plus with a little help from others I've been able to improve the performance of its core functionality by several orders of magnitude -- let me put it this way, profit calculations are near instantaneous in the new version.

Have I got your mouth watering?

If everything goes well, I think I will be able to have something available next week or weekend. Watch this thread for updates. I'm planning to make another video this weekend and I'll post the link when I have it ready, which will show features beyond what Redseawitch has already seen.

Ahoys mates. I had been using the PCTwithBleach (that crabdance site) years ago I seem to have only slight problem with it so I was hoping to get it again, until I stumbled on a link that has got me watching the thread on PP Trade Profiteer.

So curiosity made me download it instead of what I was using before. Seeing the options made me thrilled only to get disappointed when it gives me the message "PP does not appear to be running, or no clients are running for the Viridian ocean." I'm wondering what's causing this...

My windows is Windows 7, I have disabled the antialising stuff , noticed that my Java is version 6 update 25 (so could this be the culprit...), then I don't have any other techy things to mention coz I'm not a wiz at softwares and the likes, I just want to have a fun quality time while puzzling, mostly running an active distillery in Garden Cradle.

I'm hoping to get assistance on this. I'll very much appreciate a response. Thank you. More power on improving the site <3

[Jun 4, 2011 12:28:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

/me drools and holds her breath...... don't let me turn purple, please <3
Windwench
HS on Viri:
[Jun 6, 2011 3:44:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

I've created a new video demonstrating some of the new capability of the Trade Profiteer, while also walking through the familiar. It's about 10 minutes long. Let me know if you spot anything that could be an issue.

Demo video
[Jun 23, 2011 12:38:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Watched it.. and it's still awesome...

Some thoughts in PM
Windwench
HS on Viri:
[Jun 23, 2011 1:37:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
James_Savory

Re: Updates Reply to this Post

Ahoy there!

I am trying to use Trade Profiteer with little luck >.< I've read and followed the instructions but am still coming across the same problem. The program is not recognising the game. I'm running windows 7 and using java 1.5 as stated. I'm not too sure if its something I've done wrong but I cannot seem to get it to recognise the game >.<

If you have any solutions please let me know :)

Thank Ye

Yaasoo
Nemo says, "U giv poe"

Yaasoo - All oceans
[Sep 3, 2011 10:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

James, I do apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing. However help will soon be on the way in the form of a new version. I'm in the process of getting a new web site finished -- coming pretty close -- and the new Trade Profiteer will be distributed at that time, which should be in the next couple days.
[Sep 6, 2011 10:38:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

It seems that this software still requires Java 5 to operate properly. It is with regret that I remind you that Java 5 contains serious security flaws that may expose you to remote hacking. It is strongly recommended that you remove old versions of Java from your system and install only the latest release. More information is in this thread.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Sep 6, 2011 11:23:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

It seems that this software still requires Java 5 to operate properly. It is with regret that I remind you that Java 5 contains serious security flaws that may expose you to remote hacking. It is strongly recommended that you remove old versions of Java from your system and install only the latest release. More information is in this thread.

Thank you for your concern, and that is the exact reason I have been developing (and will soon be releasing) a version of the Trade Profiteer that requires Java 6 to operate.
[Sep 7, 2011 8:06:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Announcing the new version of the Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer, version 2.0.1409.

Download the latest version by visiting the new web site at http://www.colonywest.us/trader/

Be sure to read the installation instructions on the web site as well to get an idea of what will happen during installation. Feel free to post questions to this forum.

Note that this version does require you have Java 6 or Java 7installed.
[Sep 9, 2011 12:40:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Error 404 not found :(
Windwench
HS on Viri:
[Sep 11, 2011 9:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

Yeah, me too. Also getting a blank page when clicking the "visit the website" button from the older version of PPTP

cheers
Erudite
[Sep 11, 2011 11:07:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Eep! Try again...
[Sep 11, 2011 11:46:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

Re: Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer Reply to this Post

Have downloaded the latest version. It runs fine, and imports data to the database fine (confirmed by looking at the "market review" within the program). However it doesn't calculate any routes (including shore trade). When I go to "islands" and tick a starting and destination island, then click "OK" the two commodity boxes remain empty. I also can't select islands from the drop-down box on the top of each commodity box.

I'm running Java 6/26 on a 64bit windows7 machine fwiw.

cheers
Erudite

Edit: forgot to say that when importing the market data, the green bar doesn't fill all the way to the right before disappearing. Given the data is being downloaded fully, I'm guessing this is a cosmetic thing rather than a functional one, however it is a cosmetic thing that screams "error" ;-)

Edit 2: after some further fiddling, neither the "buyer" or "seller" panes are making any calculations either....after selecting sugar cane in Jade (when I have Lima market data uploaded) nothing will come up for either.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Meridien at Sep 12, 2011 2:25:10 AM]
[Sep 12, 2011 2:19:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

However it doesn't calculate any routes (including shore trade). When I go to "islands" and tick a starting and destination island, then click "OK" the two commodity boxes remain empty. I also can't select islands from the drop-down box on the top of each commodity box.

On the combo boxes staying blank and grayed out, you should also be seeing a message in the bottom saying there wasn't anything available for profit, or something along those lines. The islands not being populated in the drop-downs is an uncorrected artifact of a re-design, so I'll make note of that for correction.

Edit: forgot to say that when importing the market data, the green bar doesn't fill all the way to the right before disappearing. Given the data is being downloaded fully, I'm guessing this is a cosmetic thing rather than a functional one, however it is a cosmetic thing that screams "error" ;-)

Not really cosmetic either. The progress bar is getting all the way to the end, but at the end, after it's done importing all the data, you notice the progress bar resets to 0 (empty). The issue is that it gets all the way to the end and resets so fast that you don't see it, probably can't see it.

Edit 2: after some further fiddling, neither the "buyer" or "seller" panes are making any calculations either....after selecting sugar cane in Jade (when I have Lima market data uploaded) nothing will come up for either.

This is rather interesting. Under the Data Age feature (Data->Data Age), is it listing Lima as having been imported? Hmm... I'll look into that more to see if I can reproduce that issue. If you have any other information you think might be relevant, be sure to provide it.
[Sep 12, 2011 11:47:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

However it doesn't calculate any routes (including shore trade).

On the combo boxes staying blank and grayed out, you should also be seeing a message in the bottom saying there wasn't anything available for profit <snip>

"No items to display for the selected route" appears in a box below the two commodities boxes, but I suspect this was there when launching the program as well.

Edit: forgot to say that when importing the market data, the green bar doesn't fill all the way to the right before disappearing. <snip>

<snip>The issue is that it gets all the way to the end and resets so fast that you don't see it, probably can't see it.

This might be right, it goes to halfway at reasonably steady speed, and then disappears...might be the last half of the process is pretty instantaneous. Looks kinda wrong though ;-)

neither the "buyer" or "seller" panes are making any calculations either <snip>

This is rather interesting. Under the Data Age feature (Data->Data Age), is it listing Lima as having been imported? <snip>

Yes I get data ages for all the islands I uploaded. I also get the market summary, but it seems to be selective on what db information it processes. For example, in the "plan it" window, if I select an island and a commodity, it will tell me how many units are available for sale, but won't give me the cost.

edit: The above is in the cargo>plan function...the "plan it" button doesn't do anything for me now...maybe because it doesn't throw up a profitable route. Weight and volume calculations are working fine.

Because I installed v2 over the top (or parallel to?) the last version I had, I went back and uninstalled them both, and reinstalled v2. Same issue. Interestingly the market data was preserved, and the PP shortcut was faulty (PPTP would no longer recognise the running PP client.) So I uninstalled, removed the PP shortcut, and deleted the folder containing the db and reinstalled. Still no luck.

Thanks for looking into this. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is having issues.

cheers
Erudite

Edit: still trying to work out what works and what doesn't in case that helps you. On the clean db, I got the information for Tigerleaf. On the market bidding tab I put in sugar cane at 1poe 1000 units. Fee calculations working fine btw. Then I hit search. Onyx arch came up as a heading (this being the only arch I have market info for) but nothing below it.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Meridien at Sep 12, 2011 8:09:51 PM]
[Sep 12, 2011 7:57:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version released: 2.0.1413

"No items to display for the selected route" appears in a box below the two commodities boxes, but I suspect this was there when launching the program as well.

I'll be working to restore the previous behavior where the island names are displayed even if there is nothing for profit. Keep an eye out for a later version that should fix that.

This might be right, it goes to halfway at reasonably steady speed, and then disappears...might be the last half of the process is pretty instantaneous. Looks kinda wrong though ;-)

When the data comes in from Puzzle Pirates, it must look up two things in the database to properly store the information: the commodity and the shoppe. If the shoppe isn't in the database, a new record is added. This means that future imports for the same island should be still faster because the information is already stored off.

Further, there are various caching mechanisms at play, and on the commodity lookup it doesn't help much, but on the shoppe lookup it helps a lot as the data processing progresses. This is why it appears to linger at first then zoom by toward the end. Yeah it appears wrong, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Yes I get data ages for all the islands I uploaded. I also get the market summary, but it seems to be selective on what db information it processes. For example, in the "plan it" window, if I select an island and a commodity, it will tell me how many units are available for sale, but won't give me the cost.

Corrected this issue.

Because I installed v2 over the top (or parallel to?) the last version I had, I went back and uninstalled them both, and reinstalled v2. Same issue. Interestingly the market data was preserved, and the PP shortcut was faulty (PPTP would no longer recognise the running PP client.) So I uninstalled, removed the PP shortcut, and deleted the folder containing the db and reinstalled. Still no luck.

Make sure that when you run Puzzle Pirates you are using the desktop shortcut that is created: "Puzzle Pirates (for Trade Profiteer)". This will ensure that Puzzle Pirates is run with the Java component loaded as well to enable the transfer of the market data to the Trade Profiteer.

By the way, the database file is now stored in your My Documents folder, not in the Trade Profiteer folder.

I'm also still trying to look into the other issue you were experiencing.
[Sep 12, 2011 11:37:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

Have installed the newest version. Still giving me the same problems: no-one appears to be buying/selling, there are no items for that route, cannot deliver this ticket to any islands for a profit, etc

These error messages are helpful in a way - thanks for adding them.

Price in the "planning" function is now working as you said.

Thanks again
Erudite
[Sep 13, 2011 1:19:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Have installed the newest version. Still giving me the same problems: no-one appears to be buying/selling, there are no items for that route, cannot deliver this ticket to any islands for a profit, etc

These error messages are helpful in a way - thanks for adding them.

Price in the "planning" function is now working as you said.

Thanks again
Erudite

I'm wondering if your database file didn't get properly created. Try deleting the database file (in your My Documents folder under "Colony West Software Company\Trade Profiteer") and allowing the Trade Profiteer to recreate it.
[Sep 13, 2011 9:33:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates