• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 305
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 107915 times and has 304 replies Next Thread
Brandishwar

Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer Reply to this Post

Ahoy, mates. I'd like to take a moment to announce the release of a new commodity trading application similar to the Pirate Commodity Trader...with Bleach! called the Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer. I am the principal developer behind the application, and it is now released into open beta.

I invite anyone who uses PCTB to check out this new application. Unlike previous tools, the Trade Profiteer does not rely on a central server. And when you're scanning in the data, it doesn't hijack your mouse, allowing you to respond to chat channels and the like during a long commodity list (such as Lima on the Viridian Ocean).

It also supports the new Crimson Ocean along with all other English-speaking oceans, though it isn't really much use right now on Crimson. Opal and Jade are currently not supported at this time.

Currently the application is in open beta, and while I have vigorously tested it during the course of its development (including actively using it), I cannot guarantee a bug-free application. If you find anything, post a response to this thread. I'm currently attempting to bring a bug tracker online on my web site as well. I appreciate any feedback you provide.

Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer homepage
My blog - where you can read the announcements that have been made about the project

Fair winds, everyone.
----------------------------------------
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Jul 4, 2009 10:21:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JimTheFly

Re: Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer Reply to this Post

I was intrigued by this, so I downloaded the program and attempted to use it on Viridian. Unfortunately, it would not work for me. It would claim that I did not have PP running or that there were no clients for the Viridian Ocean running. I attempted this both on land and aboard ship and got the same response.

My JRE client of 1.5.0_17 was the one in my System32 directory, so I attempted that version first. I think attempted to use PPTP with 1.6.0_06 which I also have, and that did not work either.

I'm currently running on Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 installed.

I hope that either there is something that I missed with this or that this helps to further improve the trade client.
[Jul 4, 2009 11:51:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.videogamezombies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

That error message is given when it's unable to find the Y!PP window and it'll work only with YPP running under a 1.5 version of the JRE. Hmm... I definitely hate to see this kind of issue coming out square out of the gate, but things like this happen.

First, I'll need you to ensure that Y!PP is running under a 1.5 version of the JRE. You can do this by bringing up the Puzzle Pirates options, and the Java version is displayed on the About tab. Just something quick to check just to make sure that is set up properly.

I also could not find any location information on you from your forum profile, so I'm curious as well as to where you are located and what the region/language settings are for your system. I'm unsure if that would have an impact, but I'd like to reproduce your setup as best I can. If there's any other information you feel may be relevant, feel free to provide it.
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Jul 5, 2009 1:06:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JimTheFly

I just checked and both versions of PP are running under Java 1.6.0_06, so that's probably the reason for the problem.

Slight change to some info from your site referring to the setup and the Java download info:

- The current JRE on their site from that list is 1.5.0_19.
- The download button takes you to a site where you need to fill out a form and then the link will be e-mailed to you. Ironically, the link seems to be a basic link: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/5/jre
- That link should be where the rest of the instructions continue from, however, I don't know how long the link is good for.

Also, Sun seems to be pushing 1.6.x_xx because they mention how 1.5.0_19 is nearing End Of Service Life.

As far as the info, I just hadn't set up my profile yet, I'm sorry. I'm over in New Jersey, so it's all US/English info.

I'm DLing the JRE1.5.0_19 now and I'll install and try the program in an hour or so when it should be done (blasted dialup). I'll post in here later once things are done.
[Jul 5, 2009 8:54:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.videogamezombies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
JimTheFly

Apologies for the double-post, but I figured I'd put my program use remarks in a separate post.

I've tried the program with about half of the Jade arch on Viridian (incl. Kirin, Harmattan, Terra, DN, and Lima). It appears to have scanned in the items. However...

- The program appears to not be able to recognize the islands. The auto-detect shoppe would be correct and it would still not recognize the island.
- No commodities are apparently in my program after scanning in about 8 islands' worth. I verified this by seeing that it claims there are no places selling or buying iron, wood, or rum.

I'm running the game in 1.5.0_19 with a screen size of 1024x768 - 16-bit. My setup is multi-screen with PP on my secondary screen and the trading program on the main screen.

I will say that I do like the smoothness of the program, and if I get it working properly, I can see it being rather useful. It's promising, I just need to have the kinks ironed out.
[Jul 5, 2009 10:52:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.videogamezombies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Clayjam

This seems to be a very interesting and promising program to use, but with what the folks above me are saying about problems and such, I think I'll wait a bit to try it out.
[Jul 5, 2009 11:13:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

I've made note of the setup you've reported and I'll see what I can do. Currently I'm not able to reproduce what you're reporting, but I need to get a second monitor hooked up before I can completely test your setup.

I don't think having Y!PP running on a second display is the problem, but until I get a second monitor hooked up I can't know for certain. In a previous setup (before I moved), I had a second monitor connected to my development computer and it worked perfectly fine with Y!PP on the second monitor and the Trade Profiteer on the first.

Anyway, I'll re-test the situation and report back with what I find.
[Jul 6, 2009 12:03:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Jim, there's one other setting in the Y!PP options I want you to check to make sure it's disabled. Under the General tab is a setting called "Use antialiased font". Make sure this setting is not enabled.
[Jul 6, 2009 7:47:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JimTheFly

Well, I'd like to mention that I have Trade Profiteer up and running. It was the font anti-aliasing that was doing it. I gave it a quick run-through of Jade and it works great. I still need to poke around in it a little more to get used to the setup, but some early feedback:

- The Market Bidding tab is wonderful. It figures in the cost and the fee together and outputs locations with favorable sales for those items as well as profit & margin.

- The Rum Comparison tab is a nice little addition. I wouldn't mind there being 3 more columns on it: Swill, Grog, Rum with the prices for each. Then again, I'm a stat junkie.

- Commodity Buyers and Commodity Sellers are okay, although I would personally enjoy being able to sort the list just by overall costs. Having the island listed as the first column would probably enable this. Something such as (using Yarrow as an example)

Lima Island - Hbomb's Apothecary Stall - 4200 - 21
Kirin Island - Fabled Fabrications - 4399 - 9
Dragon's Nest - Musie's Apothecary Stall - 4885 - 22
Terra Island - Terra Yer Clothes Off - 5000 - 3

The space on the right seems like it's wide enough that the screen would fit this information without need for horizontal scrolling.

- I like how the Route Summary links right to the Island to Island tab. Also, I do like how you can select multiple destinations on the I2I tab and you get a combined list of what to purchase and where to sell it.

A couple of suggestions for improvments, however:

- One thing that I must admit I love about PCTB is the customization of their Summary and Route screens to account for mass and volume on various ships with the Trips columns. If you could implement something like this, it would be rather helpful. It's great knowing that I could make 18000 poe on a trip, but when I've just got a sloop and I need to transfer 3 GF's worth of wood to make the 18000, it becomes a slight problem. Possibly a static portion on the bottom of the I2I tab which would be similar to the Selected Trades portion of PCTB's Route screen would work.

- With this would go a request to add/remove various items from a trip listing, which would therefore allow a person to see what effects removing items from a trip would have on space constraints.

- This isn't so much a specific suggestion for you as it is a general "This would be nice in some program" thought: I'd like there to be something that could figure trading possibilities for an entire trip in only one direction. Doing something like DN-Swampfen-Olive-Dendrite-Typhoon-Prolix-Terra-Sakejima (or the reverse) could make a lot of poe possibly. I'd love something in a program that would allow you to pick your itinerary in order and it would compute trading opportunities from each island forward ONLY, replacing purchasing opportunities if one is found later on the trip at a lower price. (Example: Red Paint selling for 264 at Swampfen being replaced by it selling for 245 at Prolix). I know it could be a pain, but it's just something in my head at the moment.

All in all, I definitely like the program. The scanning in of prices is just a touch slower than PCTB, but that's minor. Good work and I look forward to any updates and changes going forward.
[Jul 7, 2009 3:59:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.videogamezombies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
hugnam

Strange, this is similar to the time when i made a website designed to show outstanding trades for stuff, so people can check, and talk to the sellers/buyers about it.

Sounds pretty good for an application, but unless it's proven to be safe, i'm not gonna use it. Besides, i try to find my own trade routes, even when i have to trade all the time for my Tailor Stall. Well... me and my friend's Tailor stall.
[Jul 7, 2009 4:08:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/nocolor2/    hugnam [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Thanks for the good press, Jim. I'm glad to hear you like it. If you run into any problems, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do. Now about what you've requested....

On being able to see what can fit in the ship, I've already got it planned. I didn't have it in the initial release because it was a feature I didn't foresee being used very much. I do see where it is useful, however, which is why it's on the list of features to implement. Not sure when it'll be ready, though.

As for the one-way kind of route, starting at one island and going forward in a chain, that would certainly prove interesting, but its benefits would be relatively minimal compared to the risks imposed. I agree something like that would be nice to have, and it'd be interesting from a technical standpoint. I'll keep it in mind if I decide on a challenge later on, but it's not going to be a priority.
[Jul 7, 2009 4:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Sounds pretty good for an application, but unless it's proven to be safe, i'm not gonna use it.

I'm glad to hear you feel it sounds pretty good, but what exactly do you mean by "proven to be safe"?
[Jul 7, 2009 6:06:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Metallife

Any intentions on working on a mac-friendly(compatable) program?
Crazyfists
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
[Jul 7, 2009 9:32:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Any intentions on working on a mac-friendly(compatable) program?

I do want to make this more cross-platform compatible, and the starting point is the OCR component. Right now, getting the OCR more friendly with Java 6 (without jumping through the hoops that the PCTB guys seem to be) is the priority. But part of the engineering effort on that mark is to make it better adaptable as right now it's too locked down to Windows -- trying to port it to another platform would result in chaos. So that's the current outlook, and we'll see where things go from there.
[Jul 7, 2009 10:38:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New beta released Reply to this Post

New version: 1.0.1218

A new release of the Trade Profiteer has been stamped and made available on the Colony West Software company download repository.

Changes:

• New option to automatically check for a new version once per day. If a new version is discovered, it will show a message box.
  • Messages now displayed if options in Puzzle Pirates are enabled that may interfere with the ability to scan in data. Those options include:

• Large fonts
    • Anti-aliased fonts

Download and give this new version a try. Be sure to report any issues you find.
[Jul 18, 2009 4:25:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Re: New beta released Reply to this Post

I've just downloaded version 1218 and am getting an error message that I have large fonts enabled when I do not.

The only option I have enabled is the special event effects, my window size is 1024*768 32 bit. I have windows XP

Let me know if there is any other information you require.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jul 19, 2009 11:47:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Instantflash

Same issue, it is saying that I have large fonts enabled, when I don't.

Update: I enabled large font, then disabled it again and I am no longer getting that message. But, I am now getting a message that "the client is not running on the system".
Instantflash on the Viridian
The Wrath of Armageddon
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Instantflash at Jul 19, 2009 1:25:05 PM]
[Jul 19, 2009 12:31:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Just released build 1219 to address the issue about the large font message. That should hopefully be settled now.

As for the issue regarding the client not running... if you can still reproduce that issue after installing 1219, please provide some more information so I can attempt to address it. Make sure that what ocean you're running on is the same ocean selected in the Trade Profiteer's options.
[Jul 19, 2009 3:52:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Instantflash

Installed the update, and the problem is still occurring. The oceans are set correct under options (I'm on the Viridian).

Computer: Dell Studio XPS 1340
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 4 gb
System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS
Java: Sun Java 1.6.0_13

Let me know if you need anything else.
The Wrath of Armageddon
[Jul 19, 2009 4:52:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

The client doesn't support Java 6 at this time, which is why you're getting the error. You need to install the Java 5 runtime environment. There's an article on my web site detailing how you can do this -- it's called "Setting up for the Trade Profiteer". Follow those directions and let me know if you have any issues.
[Jul 19, 2009 5:03:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Instantflash

*facepalm*

Thanks for that! It works perfectly now :)
The Wrath of Armageddon
[Jul 19, 2009 5:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maialiana

Woot I got it running! It seems to import the data much slower than the PCTB, but the analysis capabilities are awesome.

One thing I found that might help people having problems getting the data to import properly :
-Make sure your PP settings inside Options are the same as your monitor settings, ie. same size and colours settings (800x600, 32 bit, etc).

XXX greeter chats, "wat is this chat for than anyway"
YYYY greeter chats, "idk its just that theres 1 rule and that we arnt alowd to chat in

[Jul 26, 2009 3:54:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hai=/=Hi, Hai=Yes [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Woot I got it running! It seems to import the data much slower than the PCTB, but the analysis capabilities are awesome.

One thing I found that might help people having problems getting the data to import properly :
-Make sure your PP settings inside Options are the same as your monitor settings, ie. same size and colours settings (800x600, 32 bit, etc).

Hmm... I should consider adding that as a check. That's good advice.

And as for it scanning slow, I think I know of a way to make it adjustable so you can adjust the speed of the scanning so it is as fast as your system will handle and still read in properly.

But glad to hear that you have it up and running. Let me know if you run into any other issues.
[Jul 27, 2009 6:12:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timwiles

I just want to say that I appreciate all of the hard work you have put into this. Your site offers alot of good tips for trade runs, and i hope to download your program and use it in the future :)
Duende- Malachite, Hunter

Shortntarty tells ye, "my left boob has got a better shot than she does at getting famous
[Jul 28, 2009 11:12:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

I just want to say that I appreciate all of the hard work you have put into this. Your site offers alot of good tips for trade runs, and i hope to download your program and use it in the future :)

Thank you for the kind words. And if you don't mind my asking, what's keeping you from using it right now?
[Jul 28, 2009 7:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bkamae

Im sorry to ask this question, but how do we know this software is safe from account hackings and such?
[Jul 30, 2009 12:13:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Im sorry to ask this question, but how do we know this software is safe from account hackings and such?

It's certainly a valid concern with any application that is intended to be a helper application for use with an online game. To be direct in an answer, which won't do anything to quell your concern, all I can really say is that there isn't any way for you to know completely that this application is safe, even if I release the source code to it.

If you are concerned that my application might harvest data about you, your computer, or your installation of Y!PP, you can certainly configure your firewall software to block the Trade Profiteer from accessing the Internet. Unlike with the Pirate Commodity Trader with Bleach, you will not be interfering with the Trade Profiteer by doing that. If you configure your firewall to block the Trade Profiteer, the only functionality you will be blocking is its ability to check my web site for a new version, which is the only reason it will ever connect to the Internet.

Otherwise, I don't really know what to say in response to this except to say that the application is safe. It was under development for about a year before the beta release earlier this month and a full release is planned within the next two weeks. I have also been playing Puzzle Pirates since late 2005, I've built up considerable wealth in the game, and I'm not about to risk all of that.

Rest assured that I will never create an application whose intent is to cause harm. The Trade Profiteer will not harvest any information about you and, to the best of my knowledge as the sole and principal developer of this application, cannot be used to compromise someone's account.
[Jul 30, 2009 6:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Boddwan

First let me thank you for the great work you have put into this application. Have been using it for a couple of weeks and are now a happy, and slightly richer, trader :)

And now some feedback.

Pros
* Data stored locally
* Easy to use interface
* Great to be able to store my favorite routes

Cons (or maybe bugs)
* Even after the last update I still sometimes have trouble importing market data. It seems like the import function sometimes goes into snailpace as the 'Capture Count' counts up very slowly. I havn't noticed a pattern here so sadly can't give you any more clues. If I close the Marketdata-window in PP and open it up again it usually works to import. As suggested earlier in the thread setting PP-window to the same size as the screen doesn't work for me, I get a error msg then.
* Rambutan doesn't show up as an available commod. Then 'n' is missing in the end.
* Under the 'Commodities Seller' tab and Ship supplies none of the cbs turns up. (Havn't check the 'Commodities Buyer' tab so maybe the same problem there).

Wishlist
* As suggested earlier having a function to choose what kind of ship I am using to move the commods would be great.
* In the Route Summary tab (I think its called, doesn't have the app here at work) it would be nice to have the function to exclude commods. Just as you can do in the Island tab.
* If I want to travel from island A to island D with stops on island B and C for both buying and selling I would like a function to tell if I just want to travel in one direction. If I check the four islands as start and stop today, I have to sail back and forth. Maybe hard to implement but this is just a wishlist ;)

Thank you again and happy trading :D
Boddwan on Cobalt
[Sep 2, 2009 2:58:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

First, as others have said, THANK YOU for the work you've done on this. The Bleach thingy never worked for me, and thank google for docs, I've been keeping track manually tediously.

Anyway, today I've dl'd the new stable version, downloaded old JRE as per instructions, disabled big fonts and finally got it to work. Took an hour or so...

but, am I missing something? it appears, I have to be in the market proper, not in my stall or on my boat for it to work. And I have to physically hop to every island, because it reads from the actual displayed window?

That is the part that still gives me grief. I work with 2 monitors, which do not have the same configuration. On the laptop display, the Y!PP window is fairly tiny, about 2/3 of the total screen, where on the external monitor, it's about full screen. And PPTP doesn't like that part. Tells me the PP Window is obstructed. When I move both to the laptop screen, it seems to work, but then I still can't do anything else. It has conniptions when I move the mouse pointer away from YPP.

I'll probably edit this as I'm figuring out more.
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Sep 6, 2009 12:04:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

I haven't been on the forums in a while, so I've got a couple things to clarify and report here...

First, Boddwan, thanks for the detailed list of issues you've provided. In light of the misspelling of "Rambutan", I've provided a data patch on my web site that will correct the issue. It's an executable that you just need to download and run.

Now on to the other concerns, starting with RedSeaWitch.

-------------------------

The only time, I believe, you will need to be in the market proper is if the Y!PP window is set at 800x600 resolution. On the higher resolutions, you should be able to scan in the data from the ship. The reason for this is that my application doesn't try to "guess" the names of shoppes and stalls that are too small to display (end in ...).

And yes, you do need to hop to each island because it does read from the display. There are talks in "Pirate Commodity Trader with Bleach" thread about an alternate approach to reading in the commodity data, but it would still require you to go to each island. There isn't any way around this that is in accordance with the Y!PP terms.

With the full screen, I've tried to find ways to get this to work as well, but it's Y!PP that is making it practically impossible. I tend to run on multiple monitors as well, and it's been my observation that when you try to use something other than Y!PP when it's configured for full screen, it minimizes itself. I'll play around with it more, but I don't anticipate getting this to work at this time.

----------------------

Now on to Boddwan's statements.

Under your cons list, you provide a few things that do appear to be bugs. I will investigate those further and see what turns up. The performance issue with the market scanning sounds intriguing. If you can provide anything else on it, I'm all ears.

On your wishlist, adding an exclusion of commodities from there is possible, and likely woudn't be difficult to implement, but I'm currently opting against it because of the purpose of that tab.

The item about being able to see what'll fit in the ship has been requested and is under consideration. The other feature you've requested I believe has also been requested, as it sounds similar to what JimTheFly requested, about being able to go from A to B, B to C, C to D.

Thanks for the kind comments. Let me know if you run into any other problems, and I'll investigate the ones that have already been reported.

Fair winds.
[Sep 6, 2009 1:25:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates