• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 6784 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Luinwe

[Idea] Sink or Sail Challenge Reply to this Post

Here is the challenge. Small Sloops are fitted with crews of 6 pirates or less with one impartial judge. The vessels are sailed to a common waypoint and forced to enter into sea battles in which they will be run aground. Once all the vessels have reach full damage and full bilges, they will disengage. The judges synchronize their times and start the race. The first one to the finish port wins.

Grand Prize: 100% of the entry fees, which ever is highest.

- Entrants will need to B.Y.O.S. (Bring Your Own Sloop) preferably without items in the hold and put up the entry fee of "fill in the blank" POE.
- Any Brigands/Navy attack during the race are to be expected. All we can say is avoid them as best you can.
- Any PvP attacks during the race will disqualify any entrant under the same flag as the attackers. Again, all we can say is avoid them as best you can.
- Any shady dealings, those people will be appropriately sanctioned.
- The judges will be onboard to ensure the vessels are truly damaged and sunk.
- They will not be allowed to assist in any of the puzzles.
- They will provide maps to the start and end points of the race. (For obvious reasons that information regarding the start and end points will be withheld until just prior to the start of the race.)
----------------------------------------
Senior Officer of the Enders
[Oct 20, 2003 4:59:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
1ikate

sink or sail Reply to this Post

Sounds like fun to me! I think it's great people are thinking up new and exciting games that test other skills beyond sword fighting!

I'll be watching for it in the events listing!
Wildrose
The Cult of the Red Mantis
Looterati
Midnight Ocean
[Oct 20, 2003 6:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
squig

Re: [Idea] Sink or Sail Challenge Reply to this Post

An interesting idea, and I just had a sadistic thought to make it even more wonderfully challenging: prohibit the use of rum! A good crew can clear away a small sloops damage/bilge in no time, but without rum, even the saltiest crews will be straining to hit full speed. Just need to make sure all the crew's heads are good and aching before things get underway.

-Squig
[Oct 20, 2003 6:48:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luinwe

Ok that is just mean... I like it = )

If only we could find a Flag to sponsor such an event. Any takers?
[Oct 20, 2003 6:49:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptMorgan

nice
[Oct 22, 2003 4:53:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

I like it, except for this point:

Luinwe wrote: 
- They will provide maps to the start and end points of the race. (For obvious reasons that information regarding the start and end points will be withheld until just prior to the start of the race.)

If they have to be given time to get a ship to the undisclosed location, then there's time for...whatever it is you're trying to avoid with this rule.

Could just tell them to be at a certain leaguepoint (or outside an island) with full damage to enter, though. You can sit at the leaguepoint for a short time beforehand to let the ship fall apart on its own. Though of course a battle would do that quicker, obviously.

If you want to take the brigand element out, though, just make it an inter-arch trip. Good straight seven-league shot should fit the bill nicely.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Oct 22, 2003 5:07:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I think what he was trying to avoid with that rule is ships of one of the compteting crews laying in wait to attack the other ships on their way back to the finish line.
[Oct 22, 2003 5:26:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luinwe

Spoken like a true Logician. = )

Yes, I see Spinn's point. How about each Judge provides the small sloop? The crew wanting to enter into the race would need to hire the Judge as a Cabin Person so they would be able to click the "Set Sail" button on their own.
[Oct 22, 2003 2:29:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fireprymid

10 years ago..
Fireprymid on Sage Emerald ocean.
Avvie by Apolline http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190669

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028668668
[Jul 12, 2013 9:52:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

10 years ago..

Mind the bump?

Still sounds like a fantastic idea though, once the kinks are worked out
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[Jul 13, 2013 1:37:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I hope someone runs this... If I ever have more than my lunch break to play, I'd do it myself (well, after I run my mini-sinkfest idea)
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jul 25, 2013 11:34:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates