• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 814 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
HiimEric2001

[Obsidian] When are crews going to be able to switch factions? Reply to this Post

Forculus wrote: 
Each crew must choose a faction at the time it is created. Crews can not currently switch factions, but pirates are free to change crews at any time. 

The ability for crews to switch factions is an obviously needed feature. Now that blockades are announced and politics are going to matter much more, it's aggravating as hell to be limited politically by the choices people made in June about what faction to create their crew in. At the time the only difference was aesthetics. A different choice in aesthetics half a year ago it's a bad reason for not being able to play with the people we want to now.

If I want to ally with a flag or invite a crew to my flag I first need to check which choice they made in June. If their Captain happened to choose differently than me, tough luck. That is terrible.

Creating a new crew or disbanding and remaking is an obviously terrible "solution." With players having different play times and going inactive from time to time it's unreasonable to expect that to work for any crew of more than a handful of people. I assume GH knows it would be a nightmare, which is why we can rename crews, rename flags, even rename pirates now.

Doesn't matter what the cost is. Whether you want to charge the cost of a new crew in doubs, or rogue marks, or whatever you want. We just need to be able to do. Even if there's no time to code it in, at least make it a service OMs can do manually. I don't know if it's as simple as changing a value in a database, but I hope it is. Giving crews some ability to do this needs to be a priority before blockades are opened. The sooner the better.
----------------------------------------
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Nov 3, 2017 9:31:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Re: [Obsidian] When are crews going to be able to switch factions? Reply to this Post

Creating a new crew or disbanding and remaking is an obviously terrible "solution." With players having different play times and going inactive from time to time it's unreasonable to expect that to work for any crew of more than a handful of people.

I haven't tried myself, but couldn't you use the 'merge crew' to temporarily get around this issue? I doubt the developers had the foresight to hinder merging of opposite faction crews, but I might be wrong.

Edit: Attempting gives you the message "Proposal to merge 'Defiant Armada Crew' with 'Shadow Fleet Crew' failed: Ye have chosen different factions!".
Jcmorgan on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at Nov 3, 2017 10:56:16 AM]
[Nov 3, 2017 10:30:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Re: [Obsidian] When are crews going to be able to switch factions? Reply to this Post

I feel like if this feature were suddenly turned on, you might just see an even wider swing in favour of Shadow Fleet as the outnumbered crews want to not be super outnumbered.
[Nov 3, 2017 11:36:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

I feel like if this feature were suddenly turned on, you might just see an even wider swing in favour of Shadow Fleet as the outnumbered crews want to not be super outnumbered.

So, we also probably need those bonuses that the underdog gets for BEING underdog before the cades. It's too large a risk to just assume that the problem will resolve itself before crews can even change sides, and with islands opening up for cades... If one side gets too many more than the other it will be hard to reconcile.
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Nov 3, 2017 1:55:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

If this does become a thing, it needs to be heavily limited. Crews swapping back and forth would devalue factions even further.

The most severe cost would be a fame reset and the doubloon cost of crew creation, essentially meaning you're only keeping the name and creation date. If factions stay unbalanced perhaps this cost could be reduced if you were swapping to the losing side and increased to go the other way.

At the very least there should be a record visible to the public that a crew has changed sides. Perhaps a note on the War tab stating who has changed, but definitely on the crew page.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Nov 3, 2017 3:28:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Mixed as when people join and make a crew they may not even know what the difference in the factions are. To be honest I would guess 80% of the players don't really know what their faction is about and with the amount of flags not sure it will really ever be easy to figure out.

That said, once you join your side its your side and it should be hard to switch even requiring the crew to shut down and make a new one, if they want to keep the name they have to wait what ever time it is, but still have dibs on the name for X amount of time just like we did with our pirate names on the new ocean.

Tough issue not sure what the right answer is but factions are mostly meaningless and doing anything to make them less meaning full won't help.
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[Nov 3, 2017 3:41:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

That said, once you join your side its your side and it should be hard to switch even requiring the crew to shut down and make a new one

Having to find and recrew people who play at all different times and may have gone dormant and may not be on your hearty list adds nothing good to the game. It sucks. There's no compelling reason to force such a garbage experience on a crew.

There are plenty of ways to make it costly and discourage people from doing it willy nilly. Having to start from scratch with a whole new crew is an unacceptable solution.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Nov 3, 2017 9:45:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

That said, once you join your side its your side and it should be hard to switch even requiring the crew to shut down and make a new one

Having to find and recrew people who play at all different times and may have gone dormant and may not be on your hearty list adds nothing good to the game. It sucks. There's no compelling reason to force such a garbage experience on a crew.

There are plenty of ways to make it costly and discourage people from doing it willy nilly. Having to start from scratch with a whole new crew is an unacceptable solution.

One could plan and actually think out the decision and discuss it with the crew also most have discord. As far as unacceptable they don't have to allow it at all, it could stay the way it is. I see both sides but the whole faction thing is a joke and if you can go from light to dark to light to dark its even a bigger joke. It should be hard, crews can not leave a flag when its at war on the classic oceans and its a good mechanic.

Possible solution after 6 months you can move factions, with what ever terms their are. Or dump the factions after all they are basically meaningless unless involved in pvp's in sinking waters.

Post all leaving crews in the war tab for a week or month so their faction can thank them for leaving by reducing their fleet size. Under the heading These crews have abandoned their Faction. This would also allow the abandoned faction to recruit the membership of the abandoning crew. xD

It would be nice if their was a neutral option so one could be recruited to a faction once they got their crew going and their captains feet wet. Edit: That said both light and dark could engage in sinking of the neutral faction so its not used as a way to move stock or avoiding the pvp mechanics.
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Filthyjake at Nov 4, 2017 4:54:51 AM]
[Nov 4, 2017 4:23:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates