• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 72
Posts: 72   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3790 times and has 71 replies Next Thread
Havana_Black

Re: Future of Oceans? Reply to this Post

There's no justification to have more than 3 oceans max, +Ice for testing.
I'm okay with an ocean reset and standings reset, but not with my stuff and my puzzle experience.
Look if I wanted to start over I could do that but at the end of the day I just don't have the time to invest in developing a new pirate from scratch, plus poker was a big draw for me among other things.
I have other games I play cyclically too like Mtg that require time and or money depending on which formats you like to play. Throw a job into the mix and dating and there's not much lure to jumping onto PP for some intense puzzling for several hours to make 100k maybe.
I already spent lots of $$$ and hours playing the game, grinding, and haggling so that with what little time I have now that I'm older I could come on and have fun and enjoy my hard work.
----------------------------------------
-Thespen-
~Rhadamanthus~
Havana
[Nov 9, 2017 3:19:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I really do agree that all the extra servers are hurting the game. I would like if we went down to ONE ocean of every type that we have right now; One PvP, one Doubloon, and one Subscription

Already at Expert experience and never been pvped. People keep calling Obsidian the PVP ocean I would wager that less the 5% of battles are actually pvp. I guess I I had the time I could go through every crew and math it out but I would be shocked it its more then 1-10 which would be 10% still very small amount of the battles.

The longer GH waits to make a decision the more players they?ll lose from old oceans, people want incentive to move over to Obsidian and I think the easiest way to incentivize is by letting people transfer items.

Like I said in an earlier post I would love them to flip the switch but its clear that would hurt feelings. If history repeats it self which we most all know its highly likely too, Emerald will go the way of Meridian on its own. The stuff will sit there and people can log in and look at it and smile then go play on Obsidian. If their is no real cost to maintaining the oceans who cares if they are there they make a few people happy, once they design new LE's for Obsidian I am sure they will sell them on the old oceans. If they try and save them and spend resources, they are only hurting their business as the product competes with the other product and isn't different enough to be worth it.
Filthyjake all oceans, Primarily Obsidian
Price Cap Doubloons for long term success of Puzzle Pirates Dub oceans!
Reciprocity:The practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit.
[Nov 9, 2017 3:33:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

There's no justification to have more than 3 oceans max, +Ice for testing.
I'm okay with an ocean reset and standings reset, but not with my stuff and my puzzle experience.
Look if I wanted to start over I could do that but at the end of the day I just don't have the time to invest in developing a new pirate from scratch, plus poker was a big draw for me among other things.
I have other games I play cyclically too like Mtg that require time and or money depending on which formats you like to play. Throw a job into the mix and dating and there's not much lure to jumping onto PP for some intense puzzling for several hours to make 100k maybe.
I already spent lots of $$$ and hours playing the game, grinding, and haggling so that with what little time I have now that I'm older I could come on and have fun and enjoy my hard work.

So, you would make us keep one ocean over the rest just because that's the one your stuff? It's as you are saying that just because other oceans are smaller, we should just purge them over the one you prefer. And, by that logic, we should just remove all but Obsidian, for isn't that the largest and most active ocean?

No, while I get that you want to hold to what you already own, saying you are more important than others won't solve any issues. It's either all the old oceans get replaced/pruned, or none. And you can't just move all the old gear up, as that would COMPLETELY negate the purpose of an ocean reset.

As for puzzle experience: Yeah, unless you suddenly start sucking at the game, it's not like your skill changes. And if you like the game so much, then the experience won't take all that long to re-obtain.

An ocean reset would provide a chance for everyone to start again, without the old gear haunting you every time you see what other players have. Everyone starts new again.

And I'm not saying this idea should happen right away. Right now, we are working on the new ocean, and until settlement starts peaking it's head in the form of full-on blockades and island colonization.

(Also, is it just me or are there a ton of MTG players here. At least 3, including myself.)
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Nov 9, 2017 3:40:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

(Also, is it just me or are there a ton of MTG players here. At least 3, including myself.)
I also own a card shop and am an L1 Judge.

I really do agree that all the extra servers are hurting the game. I would like if we went down to ONE ocean of every type that we have right now; One PvP, one Doubloon, and one Subscription

I think it's more important to have ONE ocean of every type that matters: Active

I mean, I beneift the most from them keeping, and pushing to keep active and growing, a non-pvp focused subscription server, and I explicitly do NOT want one at the expense of anything that detracts from having one maximally active server that might actually survive.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Devonin at Nov 9, 2017 5:02:30 PM]
[Nov 9, 2017 4:59:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

It'd be great to have swabbies that were more effective the deader your ocean is.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Nov 12, 2017 11:16:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

It'd be great to have swabbies that were more effective the deader your ocean is.

In general it would only benefit the game, so tired of not being able to run things because I can get a good gunner or sailor rarely both at the same time. I don't understand why this wouldn't be a priory if the population goes over 1k again maybe we can dial it back but if you don't have a click you may as well just poker.

Starting to think the new ocean may have just killed the game, not enough people on any of the oceans to make it as good as it was when the release came out. Some people left Emerald the last thing the game needed was to split the small player base.
Filthyjake all oceans, Primarily Obsidian
Price Cap Doubloons for long term success of Puzzle Pirates Dub oceans!
Reciprocity:The practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit.
[Nov 12, 2017 11:23:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

In general it would only benefit the game, so tired of not being able to run things because I can get a good gunner or sailor rarely both at the same time. I don't understand why this wouldn't be a priory

If bnavvers got ultimate swabbies, they would complain that they need super-ult.

The game has been designed so that all puzzle output is relative. Ultimate represent at most the top 1% of all pirates, Able represents the bottom 25%. That means that the able swabbies are still better than about 12.5% of all the pirates and the proficient/distinguished line is the half way point so there can never be more than 50% of the pirates that are better than that. Experienced/skilled players tend to have a very warped sense of what "average" is because skilled pirates tend to hang around other skilled pirates.

If you make swabbies perform better, then it will be better to have swabbies on your ship than to have most real pirates on your ship. That will freeze out new players.

Having swabbies that are better than they are now would be VERY VERY bad for the game. The game needs to be fun for the vast majority of players, not just the elite.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 12, 2017 11:56:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

But on a low population ocean, it's not fun for anybody because you literally can't load a sloop on Meri any more.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Nov 12, 2017 5:00:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

But on a low population ocean, it's not fun for anybody because you literally can't load a sloop on Meri any more.

You can solo a sloop, each additional player helps. I'm glad that OOO finally changed it so that swabbies wouldn't immediately leave when you jobbed someone. That was another case where OOO's original designed discouraged you from hiring players.

Edit:

Ok, while you can always load a sloop, lower population oceans do have different needs. I could see adding more skilled swabbies on low population oceans as long as you are greatly encouraged to hire real players if there are any. For example, you could have a skilled swabbie join if you had your voyage up for a certain amount of time, AND, hired every real player who applied, AND didn't plank anyone. Whether those requirements alone would be enough and how many players would count as "low population" isn't clear to me, but just giving everyone skilled swabbies whenever you want would be really bad.

Another thing that is related may well be the SMH map rotations. When you have, say, only 100 players online at a time, then having ships loading for atlantis, and HS, and several for ci/kraken, and flotilla attacks and pillaging, well, you can easily deadlock so that no ship can load because there is just too many different types of thins going on. By limiting the number of SMH map types, you make things better. But, map rotation doesn't help when there are 1000 players online at a time, nor when there are only 10. Even when you are at in the magic range where map rotation helps, there are probably other things that would be better such as changing the game to discourage bnavvers from loading large ships when they could load, and EFFECTIVELY USE, smaller ones. OOO/GH have made some changes here, but more would be better. I guess that map rotation is just a real easy fix for low, but not empty, oceans.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Nov 12, 2017 6:02:22 PM]
[Nov 12, 2017 5:10:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dantesk

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=207720&offset=0#2714861

I have an idea that could help the game we love grow without it hurting the devs revenue. We all know how dubs can ruin this game for some players, as a free market economy based game, one should be able to win enough money with the basic labor (land lubber's shoppe jobs and pillies) to buy basic stuff (weapons, ships, clothes).

With the current dub prices (over 10k in Meridian, near 4k on Emerald, other oceans absolutely dead), it is practically impossible for a greenie to be able to afford these basic commodities. They don't enjoy the game at first glance, think it's a pay-to-win game and quit to never come back.

What I propose to regulate these wild dubs without hurting the market, nor the devs, is to implement a way to create dubs without buying them (scarcity of players make the offer of dubs go down, remaining players still needing to buy these bring the price up). Not to mention the manipulation of the price by some big fishes...
If we enable a way to peg the price of dubs to a rare commodity like gold (which makes total sense) we would have stable dubs. This would be really easy by enabling players to create dubs with gold using labor on an Iron Monger.

This way dub prices are regulated without a direct intervention of devs on the market. When dubs go to ridiculous prices, players will buy gold, use some labor and produce doubloons to sell on the market, thus creating an offer to sell at a higher price than gold.

Considering gold is found foraging, the cost of paying foragers to find it (2k-3k) and the scarcity of this commodity, we can see how it's the ideal meter to value things.
The cost of owning a shoppe (taxes) and paying for labor adds to the final cost of producing dubs (that I estimate would end up being 4-5k per dub).

No sane player would never create dubs to sell at a loss, so this would be a last resource and not a way of making a living on these seas.
Gold would keep on being used to create clothes or other goods that make more profit, but with stable dubs, the market would flourish as shoppe owners can effectively calculate costs and buyers can afford prices.

Last but not least, Devs would benefit from this as a good market incentivates new players to stay, as well as old players, and we all know that the more players there are, the more will be buying dubs, specially if it is worth to use them instead of waiting for them to appreciate, as the price should remain around the same place.
Dantesk en Jade y por ahi
[Nov 22, 2017 4:26:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

"Free market economy game"
"Tie dubloons to the gold standard"

Um....nope.

You want to save the game you love, stop playing on the dying servers, and play on Obsidian. It's really that simple.

People clinging to Cerulean and Emerald and Meridian are doing themselves and everybody else a disservice. The population of this game can't support 4 servers full stop. It arguably isn't even supporting the one "big" one it has now.
[Nov 22, 2017 8:38:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
whatthejish

"Free market economy game"
"Tie dubloons to the gold standard"

Um....nope.

You want to save the game you love, stop playing on the dying servers, and play on Obsidian. It's really that simple.

People clinging to Cerulean and Emerald and Meridian are doing themselves and everybody else a disservice. The population of this game can't support 4 servers full stop. It arguably isn't even supporting the one "big" one it has now.

This. The truth hurts, but the logic is sound.
Dionysos, Cobalt and Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by whatthejish at Nov 29, 2017 5:23:44 PM]
[Nov 29, 2017 5:23:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 72   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates