• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2916 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Filthyjake

Chat Overload and Brainstorming on how to fix it. Reply to this Post

OK I checked and didn't find a current chat game design issues if there is one I am sorry.

We now have Chat overload and some that could still be added. We need a way to better manage them, as its growing annoying you either miss out or are flooded there is little middle ground.

Global chat: We now have Chat overload and some that could still be added. We need a way to manage them better.
Fraction chat: We now have Chat overload and some that could still be added. We need a way to manage them better.
Trade chat: We now have Chat overload and some that could still be added. We need a way to manage them better.
Crew chat: nah they don't do that .

As you can see my small box got packed full with the same message.

My ideal would be to keep the same chat box we have as Chat box 1 adding a 2nd chat box off to the side or one we can toggle to from the main in same location. Maybe even split the boxes in two if we chose too.

With the two window system I would love to put what I want in each so that if my crew is talking about how great the game is or whatever I can shift it to window 2 rather than be stuck with it interrupting a /tell conversation I am having. Basically let me pick what’s important without ignoring the other completely.

An alert tone would also be great if we can turn it on for some chats, like royal, flag officer and or others. Even better if top or (certain) hearties could also have it so we don’t miss those who mean the most to us.

I am assuming we can mute or off most chats even crew (never tried) if not I would like that. It would be great to see if I am being chased, such as when moving stock, especially in a pvp ocean when they are going to take it all, and my box is hopping with clutter, it is easy to miss the message your being chased down by some bad guys who wish to do you harm. To make it even better a simple tone when being pursued that could be turned on and off would be great also for those of us go who puzzle blind. This could also alert those not on stations a battle is coming, again I want to be able to turn it off and on.

New Chats:

I would love to see a [SO] Senior Officer chat added as well as a [HC] Hearty Chat could also be great way to let your hearties or top hearties you going to do a run. or a Check box like MMA use to pull where you select the hearties you wish to invite rather telling each one individually. A [CM] Chat Me chat could also clear up some global chat as many can’t or don’t care who needs a charting.

Minor Annoyance: Can we make global/mute instead of on and off its different then the way the rest work.
----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[Sep 9, 2017 6:01:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

Re: Chat Overload and Brainstorming on how to fix it. Reply to this Post

Crew chat can not be muted. Can be a bit of a pain in the rear. Also, SO chat has been suggested before, and still not here after many years. However, considering that a global chat was just about anti-listed, who knows.
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Sep 9, 2017 6:12:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Filthyjake wrote: 
My ideal would be to keep the same chat box we have as Chat box 1 adding a 2nd chat box off to the side or one we can toggle to from the main in same location. Maybe even split the boxes in two if we chose too.

With the two window system I would love to put what I want in each so that if my crew is talking about how great the game is or whatever I can shift it to window 2 rather than be stuck with it interrupting a /tell conversation I am having. Basically let me pick what?s important without ignoring the other completely.

Separate tabs for chat channels

Filthyjake wrote: 
An alert tone would also be great if we can turn it on for some chats, like royal, flag officer and or others. Even better if top or (certain) hearties could also have it so we don?t miss those who mean the most to us.

Audible alerts for chat channels

Filthyjake wrote: 
I am assuming we can mute or off most chats even crew (never tried)

No it's not possible to mute most chat channels, only global and trade have these options at the moment. There have been proposals to mute building, crew, flag officer, /tell from any pirates and even all chat channels.

EDIT: On the Obsidian Ocean only there is a mutable faction channel in addition to the channels available on the other Oceans.

Filthyjake wrote: 
To make it even better a simple tone when being pursued that could be turned on and off would be great also for those of us go who puzzle blind. This could also alert those not on stations a battle is coming, again I want to be able to turn it off and on.

Audible alert upon one's ship being pursued

Filthyjake wrote: 
I would love to see a [SO] Senior Officer chat added

Senior officer chat channel.

Filthyjake wrote: 
as well as a [HC] Hearty Chat could also be great way to let your hearties or top hearties you going to do a run. or a Check box like MMA use to pull where you select the hearties you wish to invite rather telling each one individually.

Arbitrary chat groups, not just for hearties, has been put forward rather than a hearty broadcast. A hearty chat channel or broadcast wouldn't work practically because while pirate A has two hearties B and C, this doesn't automatically mean B and C are hearties. If B responds to a hearty chat or broadcast, the recipients could be different to whoever A contacted in the first place.

Filthyjake wrote: 
A [CM] Chat Me chat could also clear up some global chat as many can?t or don?t care who needs a charting.

This chart me channel would probably be implemented as another global chat channel with a separate mute command?

Filthyjake wrote: 
Minor Annoyance: Can we make global/mute instead of on and off its different then the way the rest work.

While /tmute exists to toggle muting of the trade chat channel, it's inconsistent to have two separate commands to enable (/global-on) and disable (/global-off) the global chat channel. Yes, the two commands could be collapsed to /gmute, as long as that doesn't induce players to believe it turns off all channels.

Scarpath wrote: 
However, considering that a global chat was just about anti-listed, who knows.

A global chat channel has never been anti-listed. It's true that hearty broadcast has been anti-listed for being too spammy, though as I pointed out above there's an issue with hearty broadcast going to different recipients depending upon the player using the command. That wouldn't help with spamminess and clarity on such a channel. With the global chat channel it is abundantly clear whom the recipients are going to be (aside from those pirates who have turned the channel off).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Sep 9, 2017 8:49:18 PM]
[Sep 9, 2017 7:08:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Wow Faulston you have achieved Ultimate in all the Forums.

So seems like the Multi tab existed in a 3rd party, but wonder if it would work now with the new chats. I would still rather see it in the game.

We need to be able to /mute All there is so much chatter now.

Theses Didn't seem to match what I am suggesting. Mostly positive post as long as it can be turned off. Like the Reboot Warning if a FB went off and I had that alert on the sound would come. Or if I had Crew Chat alert on because I knew we were trying to organize something I could get a ding or beep or seagull cry... I think that makes sense. Not sure its doable, When the captain orders guns i get a whistle why not when he says can you gun or my someone in my /FO asks for help if I have it on? Again it has to be selective and able to be turn off.

Audible alert upon one's ship being pursued

2004 was a good idea with lots and lots of 100% positive feed back people want it me too can we PLEASE have the jaws sound affect!

I want less chats or more control, as I have a hard enough time catching the messages. /tells especially could get a sound or larger font or come across the screen something to make them stand out Black background with white type maybe. Right now its just a jumble of words that I can read on the dock or ignore at sea. I think chat is going to be a important issue to address in the game as the social side is what many seem to like. I like the puzzles maybe that is why I came and stayed after the games prime day.
[Sep 9, 2017 8:11:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Filthyjake wrote: 
Faulkston wrote: 

Theses Didn't seem to match what I am suggesting. Mostly positive post as long as it can be turned off. Like the Reboot Warning if a FB went off and I had that alert on the sound would come. Or if I had Crew Chat alert on because I knew we were trying to organize something I could get a ding or beep or seagull cry... I think that makes sense. Not sure its doable, When the captain orders guns i get a whistle why not when he says can you gun or my someone in my /FO asks for help if I have it on? Again it has to be selective and able to be turn off.

Apologies, HTML anchors won't scroll to the exact place in a web page if the web page is too short to scroll.

I believe you're looking for a selective chat alert sound, rather than (as first suggested) any and all new chat messages coming up: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=18662
It was pointed out then that it would be very annoying to have the sound effect on every chat, so as you proposed just now, it should be able to be toggled on or off - per channel.
[Sep 9, 2017 8:47:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

TL;DR
Use the same cool-down timer for global and faction chat, not separate timers.

My suggestion: Create a whole new ocean where we have a new currency so that we can um...yeah

Now to a more realistic and simple solution that has probably been requested in the past:
For crew, Officer, FO, Royal, etc chats, they can easily be policed by those in charge of the crew/flag. if you don't like someone spamming their advertisements there, tell them to stop. Most crews and flags already have rules in place for this.
To combat the "double spamming" of Global and Faction chat, they can use the same cool down system for both chat.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but This is the current system
Player Global chats message
Player has to wait 90(?) seconds 2 minutes
Player Global Chats Message

Player Faction Chats Message
Player can now send another message on Faction chat.

My Suggestion:

Player Global or faction chats a message
Player can now use the Global AND Faction Chat again
Pros:
No more having to see the exact same message, 1 second apart, on both Global Chat and Faction Chat
Con:
Those that have legitimate things to say on both chats may have to wait for the cool-down timer to expire (which is actually not that long)

Most suggestions come across as ignored here because they are "elaborate, lets completely re-invent the game even though you only have limited developers, resources, and an already massive to-do list". Take it easy on the developer, and offer small realistic suggestions that won't take months to program, so we can see changes quicker.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stan5 at Sep 10, 2017 4:30:48 AM]
[Sep 10, 2017 4:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

The cooldown on global and faction is two minutes, not 90 seconds.

As for your actual idea: I agree. Most people running boats advertise in both at the same time, which can feel quite spammy, especially if several people end up doing it to try and fill their boats. It's a simple solution that would fix this.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Sep 10, 2017 4:28:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I actually feel like the 2 minute cool down is too long. It disrupts global conversations.

Create a "spam" channel where the NB announcements (including shoppe labor announcements) can be put. Then, those that don't want to bother with the NB can enable the spam channel and have fun.

Once the spam channel exists, all NB announcements made in /global or /trade should result in a 10 minute mute from both of those channels. I don't like it being done in /faction, but you may have a situation where a player needs assistance from those in the faction, so complete isolation from "larger than flag" chat isn't good.

Wow Faulston you have achieved Ultimate in all the Forums.

https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Forum_fads_and_in-jokes#Search-Fu
#TeamEvil
#TeamShadowFleet
[Sep 10, 2017 6:57:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Most suggestions come across as ignored

Perhaps because the developers don't comment on what they are actually working on or engage in the conversation. There is that one post and its great. This was just brainstorming, it is an issue that needs attention, if a developer hoped on and said anything it wouldn't come across as ignored. Perhaps we need a game Idea's post and only developers can create/start post in Game Design so they don't have to read all this gunk, and we can still share/discuss our ideas (free labor). I don't feel ignored here.

They could also create a policy page regarding continued topics sharing information, wouldn't take that long to make a ypedia page (I don't really know).

I saw countless conversations on dubs but boom that could have been ended by a link to the ypedia page stating a list of policies.

It is our policy that we cannot, and will not intervene in the player-operated doubloon exchange - whatever the price settles at, it settles at.

Conversation Over, abrupt yes drive people away maybe but they won't feel ignored. Way better then some of us my self included trying to fix a problem they don't want or care to fix.

because they are "elaborate, lets completely re-invent the game even though you only have limited developers, resources, and an already massive to-do list". Take it easy on the developer, and offer small realistic suggestions that won't take months to program, so we can see changes quicker.

I have a Bachelors degree in Business and Marketing not programming or what ever makes the game work, we come up with ideas we don't know how to implement but sell things or fix problems. One of the big issues in my opinion in this game growing is lack of marketing/communication. I also have no idea how many people are on staff. Apple started with 2 people in a garage...

Faulkstone's post has links in from 13 years ago with people asking for some of the same things. If they communicated that wasn't possible that post could be shared, if not and there is a long thread of people asking for it 13 years ago and the game is being reworked, ummm the ideas are being ignored.

As far as fixing the ignored feeling if a developer/game manager told us what they were working on like the one posts for idea's we can provide them. They could also stamp or comment on idea's, even pin the post at the top (I think they can not a computer person).
In progress....
Not possible...
High or low priory but not at the moment...
Come on guy's give us a break is this really an issue for game enjoyment

My original post was to point out a problem that developed with the addition of global and fraction chat, Again if they said hey were working on adding these what do you think? We could have given input in the during process rather then after.

/e feels like ye attacked his idea/solutions.
I guess I will just go back to not reading the chat box at all and playing a anti-social game in a game that is social.

I like your solution, for now I guess I will mute most chats.
[Sep 10, 2017 7:09:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Or just have better enforcement* of the rules.

TL:DR
  • Introduce Global/Trade mutes for repeat offenders
  • Change colour of OM message, probably to red.
  • Make clear policy regarding using alts to avoid chat cooldown.
  • I think 5 minutes is better for /trade spam. 2 minutes is fine for global.

Currently they just send the following;

OM MESSAGE: Please be aware that the Trade channel is for buying/selling/trade/shoppe business only.

For a start the message appears with a yellow background, it should be red to make it stand out.

There's also seemingly no penalty regarding repeat offenders, the same people will spam Emerald's trade channel with AOF/PF messages every 2 minutes for days if not weeks. I've suggested it before, but I'll say it again, the OM's need the ability to mute pirates from using certain channels for a time period. Since a ban is obviously too strict a punishment.

There's also no policy regarding using alternate accounts to evade chat cooldowns, this should come under alt abuse, else whats the point of a cooldown. The following player routinely does this.

[14:49:09] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [14:50:18] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [14:54:27] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [14:55:54] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [14:57:07] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [14:58:27] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:00:04] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:01:04] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:02:20] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:05:10] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:05:52] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:08:33] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:09:37] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:12:34] Alt global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"
    [15:13:46] Main global chats, "Hosting 200k AoF, send /tell for an invite! ?"

Considering /trade messages are rarely unique, I'd suggest making the cool-down period longer. Since you want to be able to hold something resembling a discussion/conversation in global, 2 minutes is fine there.

* Understandably, it's probably a policy problem, I'm not knocking the OMs.

Now I'll knock the OMs...

[15:59:22] ____ trade chats, "buying plum Chromas 1,000,000 , my soul and a coupon for chick fill-a"
    [16:01:25] OM MESSAGE: Buy offers are a legitimate use of trade chat even if they include some humor.

Although, to give them credit, this is the only memorable time I've had complaint across probably 4 digits of reports.
    Jjc on Emerald
    Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
    My Kraken bombing guide
    CI booty division stats
  • [Sep 10, 2017 7:28:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    joshuawhelan

Something definitely needs to be done about people who, for example, post an advertisement for their SMH or pillage in faction, trade & global chat all at once. Or people who use trade chat to continue whatever conversation they're having in global.

Perhaps a blackspot resulting in trade/faction/global being disabled for that player would help the community police the channels properly when such abuse happens. There are already adequate measures in place to discourage the abuse of blackspotting.
    [Sep 10, 2017 7:43:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Filthyjake

JC said

There's also seemingly no penalty regarding repeat offenders, the same people will spam Emerald's trade channel with AOF/PF messages every 2 minutes for days if not weeks. I've suggested it before, but I'll say it again, the OM's need the ability to mute pirates from using certain channels for a time period. Since a ban is obviously too strict a punishment.

This! It should be easy to do as greeter chat was able to be suspend/blocked.

Replacing global with greeter rewarding those who abused it is different issue. Now we are going to have an influx of hopefully new pirates as well as returning players. Simple questions often answered in global are, often answered, Funny, False, Rude.... How do I level carp up? legit question for new player. What is patching how come i cant get above fine. legit question for returning player. Both would get answers like do better ect. Not to create more work but are we going to have a greeter system again to help Norman the new guy?
    [Sep 10, 2017 8:59:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Filthyjake

After watching a 20 min back and forth over global chat, not only do I think a longer cool down would be great, but a limit to 3-5 post in global/faction. Better yet lets make it a Poe Sink after 2 in one hour each message cost 500 poe.

Better yet take your petty bickering to tells no one cares. And if your advertising for a run and no one has come after the first 5 time maybe there is a reason.

/global-off oh ya i could do that
    [Sep 11, 2017 5:04:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Scarpath

Something definitely needs to be done about people who, for example, post an advertisement for their SMH or pillage in faction, trade & global chat all at once. Or people who use trade chat to continue whatever conversation they're having in global.

Perhaps a blackspot resulting in trade/faction/global being disabled for that player would help the community police the channels properly when such abuse happens. There are already adequate measures in place to discourage the abuse of blackspotting.

Okay, yeah, let a blackspot incur a short global/trade/faction chat mute please. I really don't like watching those people out there just to get a reaction and throwing up a fuss while everyone else can't do a thing about it but /complain and hope that the OMs will act on it.
    Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
    [Sep 11, 2017 5:25:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Filthyjake

Please make a delay, I want to see global and trade chat but these spams need to stop.

Anoyingyou trade chats, "Want to practice and get better at foraging or simply just relax and puzzle? Feel free to send me a tell or job via NB!"
    Anoyingyou global chats, "Want to practice and get better at foraging or simply just relax and puzzle? Feel free to send me a tell or job via NB!"
    Annoyingyou faction chats, "Want to practice and get better at foraging or simply just relax and puzzle? Feel free to send me a tell or job via NB!"

The name was changed to protect the gulity.
    [Nov 4, 2017 7:28:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

I actually feel like the 2 minute cool down is too long. It disrupts global conversations.

Create a "spam" channel where the NB announcements (including shoppe labor announcements) can be put. Then, those that don't want to bother with the NB can enable the spam channel and have fun.

Once the spam channel exists, all NB announcements made in /global or /trade should result in a 10 minute mute from both of those channels. I don't like it being done in /faction, but you may have a situation where a player needs assistance from those in the faction, so complete isolation from "larger than flag" chat isn't good.

*bump*

Global, faction, and trade chats have now been around long enough for the newness to have worn off. Can we please give consideration to a "jobber spam" chat channel (and include wagering/requests to join carousing tables) and then reduce the cooling off of global and faction chats? Or maybe change the trade channel to a "player announcement" channel (it could still be toggled on/off), even if by rule only and not by channel name/command.

I ask this because when there's a blockade, or when I'm on a voyage, I typically mute both global and faction (trade is always muted, spamspamspam, ick) just because of all the jobbing/carousing requests that get flooded on them. Which means that they have largely become pointless channels (to me; and I imagine to others as well). Then, when I do want to partake in ocean-wide conversations, there's a hinderance to conversation called a "cool down" (which seems to be in-place to prevent people from abusing the channel with their spam?).
    #TeamEvil
    #TeamShadowFleet
    [Apr 23, 2018 2:10:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    randompanzy

Truthfully is there even a need for faction chat? I've only seen it used as a second global. And truthfully look at YPP as a whole I don't see a situation where you would use faction chat over global anyways. Except to talk to people who have global muted. That in itself could solve part of the problem tho
    Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
    SO of Lion's Roar
    Titled Member of Placeholder
    The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Edit 1 times, last edit by randompanzy at Apr 24, 2018 10:46:40 PM]
    [Apr 24, 2018 10:45:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
    Prammy16

Truthfully is there even a need for faction chat? I've only seen it used as a second global. And truthfully look at YPP as a whole I don't see a situation where you would use faction chat over global anyways. Except to talk to people who have global muted. That in itself could solve part of the problem tho

I've seen it rarely used appropriately, but it's been helpful for PVPs (the real ones, not the trinket generators).
    -Porglit on Emerald
    -Shadetemplar on Obsidian
    [Apr 25, 2018 2:02:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    LJAmethyst

Who wants to listen to a discussion/conversation in /global?

If you are engrossing yourself in a topic with other pirates, to the point where the cooldown timer is an obstacle for you, then it's time to go to /tell or /jcrew or... get a room.

Keep in mind that for every pirate who responds to you, there are a couple dozen who are quietly puzzling away and wishing you would be quiet. It is most charitable to assume that the majority of listeners are absolutely not interested in your chatter and so your contribution to /global will be most effective when it is most minimal.

I remember when a single line sent on /greeter would light up the channel for several minutes as everyone felt compelled to reply in kind. No, you send a /tell or you arrange a gathering for an extended conversation, you just don't trample on everyone else's bandwidth.

Unfortunately the etiquette is rarely observed, and it simply alienates people from participation. If I had a doubloon for every Greeter who simply went off /duty because they couldn't bear the chat channel.
    Retired as of August 2015.
    2 Timothy 4:7
    [May 4, 2018 2:20:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

Who wants to listen to a discussion/conversation in /global?

If you are engrossing yourself in a topic with other pirates, to the point where the cooldown timer is an obstacle for you, then it's time to go to /tell or /jcrew or... get a room.

Keep in mind that for every pirate who responds to you, there are a couple dozen who are quietly puzzling away and wishing you would be quiet. It is most charitable to assume that the majority of listeners are absolutely not interested in your chatter and so your contribution to /global will be most effective when it is most minimal.

I remember when a single line sent on /greeter would light up the channel for several minutes as everyone felt compelled to reply in kind. No, you send a /tell or you arrange a gathering for an extended conversation, you just don't trample on everyone else's bandwidth.

Unfortunately the etiquette is rarely observed, and it simply alienates people from participation. If I had a doubloon for every Greeter who simply went off /duty because they couldn't bear the chat channel.

Right now "global chat" isn't global chat, it's "global announcement", as is trade chat. If people aren't interested in an actual global chat channel, the option of /global-off is still there. Just as I do when I get tired of seeing the same announcements every 2 minutes across global and faction chats.

/tell doesn't work when you have more than 2 people participating in a conversation and /jcrew doesn't work if people are already jobbed in other crews.

If someone has such limited bandwidth that they can't handle /global, then they should probably have it muted now, because it can get spammy at times with /job announcements.

If people aren't participating on /global now, then they're already alienated.

And if you want to talk about etiquette, then let's just turn the whole thing off, because I find it rude to send the same message every 2 minutes on 2 chat channels. If everyone else can have hurt feelings that the world needs to bend to, then so can I.
    #TeamEvil
    #TeamShadowFleet
    [May 5, 2018 4:37:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    wrs1864b

I'm still in favor of changing the cool-down periods from one message every X minutes to N messages every Y minutes. So, right now, you can send one message to /global every 2 minutes, or 30 messages per hour. Instead, I think it would be better to limit /global to, say, 3 messages every 15 minutes. That way you could actually carry on a very short conversation, but the overall volume of chat would be reduced.

You could have conversations like "pirate1: What is the best place for X?", "pirate2: do you mean best as in A or as in B?" , "pirate1: oh! yeah, B", "pirate2: the look at foo". That is a useful conversation. Right now, /global and /trade is only really good for announcements.
    Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
    [May 5, 2018 6:34:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates