• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6335 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
moonmaiden79

Re: Sailing Bake-Off - Sunday 4th January 2009, 8:30am

I honestly don't see how entering an alt is "wrong." I am not sure if the same principles apply for sailing, but whenever I do certain puzzles on my fresh alt, it is more difficult to pull incredibles because they are less stable, and when my shiny dies it drops way down.

Its not that its "wrong" per say. But knowing you've earned #1 carp on Cobalt I'm sure you would feel very differently if it were a carpentry bakeoff and a novice/able alt beat you out after 30 min. of puzzling your head off.

Sails is a tricky puzzle, it is actually more difficult in the beginning stages of a character to create an incredible. This is because there are not enough platforms to clear to build up to bingos and donkeys. You are penalized for dropping additional pieces if you don't clear the platform quickly enough.

However, in a 30 minute continuous puzzle setting a fresh alt would make it easier to maintain a high score compared to a sublime/legendary for example. The puzzles get much uglier at higher levels, and booching over tiny mistakes is much more likely.

This is why it is frustrating to know that someone who is probably ult on another ocean is winning on Cobalt. There would be similar upset if a known top 10 sailor from Cobalt came on the ship with an alt and won. It seems to give a slight advantage to the ease of scoring. If you're already ult a slight or even percieved advantage seems very unsportsmanlike.

This is why it leads to upset. It is much easier to be angry when a novice/able alt wins than when you get beat by a illustrious/ult.
----------------------------------------
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by moonmaiden79 at Jan 8, 2009 7:33:03 AM]
[Jan 8, 2009 6:49:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

Re: Sailing Bake-Off - Sunday 4th January 2009, 8:30am

Its not that its "wrong" per say. But knowing you've earned #1 carp on Cobalt I'm sure you would feel very differently if it were a carpentry bakeoff and a novice/able alt beat you out after 30 min. of puzzling your head off.

Actually, I would be pretty impressed if a fresh alt won a bakeoff. They would have a very rough start with the gimped boards that all new players for carpentry would get so it would be dificult to stabilize their shiny. The only "advantage" that a new player would get is that they would have is that they would smaller holes to deal with, and even that has its downfalls, too.
And, I am not really here for the familiar, it is just an added bonus and a motivation. I like to carp and I love getting to compete with other players that is fairly rare to do, even with puzzle competitions, since you only need 1 DR to win.
I could see why some people would be upset, but when you say that alts don't deserve the familiar, it goes a bit too far.
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Jan 8, 2009 11:23:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates