• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1118 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Hurrai

Best Ship Ratings. [Questions/Discussion] Reply to this Post

So I wanted to discuss this and see if we could help me (or you/others) establish what are the better ships to use, this is notably going to be a PvP geared discussion due to obsidian and the emphasis to PvP.

Before I start I want you to make this assumption. The crew and the captain (bnaver) on both sides are both equally competent, they will always make the best possible moves available to them.

So Questions!

Which ship is the most cost effective?
(Stocking costs, Vs stronger ships and impact puzzle ratings have on-board)

What ship performs the best with a minimal crew?
(Assuming there is very little multi tasking at hand, perhaps excluding gunning)

The effectiveness of movement? (3 moves Vs 4 moves)
Will a ship with an extra movement always have an advantage on the slower vessels?

The effectiveness of firepower?
Stronger shot comes at the expensive of movement on smaller manned vessels. There are times when you can force a trade in shots, assuming the shot is to be taken at all, how does this combine with movement and what is a good sacrifice?

What ship is the most versatile?
What ship presents the most targets by enlisting or removing pirates on-board?
Also with or without heavily sacrificing performance in the Bnav puzzle.

_____

So that is just some questions I had.

You may want to point out if your assuming the combat is sinking or grapple based.

One final query I guess, is there a type of rock, paper & scissors system when it comes to ship vs ship? Assuming of course there is a even playing field..

Just slapped this together and hoped that this could help somebody enlighten me. :P
----------------------------------------
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

~ Avatar made by Brittaney
[Oct 5, 2017 12:36:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Best Ship Ratings. [Questions/Discussion] Reply to this Post

I don't think there is a clear cut answer, it depends a lot on the situation and personal preference. One thing that might shed a lot of light is to read the yppedia article on ships. In particular, you seem interested in the ship handling and performance section.

I'm sure there will be others who chime in on their preferences and experiences.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Oct 5, 2017 12:58:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

Aye mate, I have been looking over the information on wiki quite a lot recently, it has some good information but lacks some fine detail which is understandable.

There isn't much in the way of 3 vs 4 move discussion to be found there for starters, I feel like having 4 moves could be quite powerful in the right situations.

Also minimum crews, wiki kindly states some information about this, how many per ship and such but I can't seem to find any information that would tell me how well say, 10 pirates on one type of ship would fair against 10 on another.

Still it does give me great information, so thank you! I did get there before but it's full of information, I looked over individual ships also already, if you happen to know of any pages that might slip a pirate by then please point me in that direction. :]
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Oct 5, 2017 1:18:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Odyn9

I love Fanchuans. Large CB's with 12 max crew. 3-5 shots and everything is maxed that you are able to fight.
Zaye - Emerald
Odyn - Obsidian

King of Right Meow

[Oct 5, 2017 6:19:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
estonianguy

problem with 4 moves is that even with max sails you don't get 4 tokens per turn
Xzomg
[Oct 9, 2017 5:03:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

Speaking as an experienced sailor, the physics and laws fluid dynamics are completely suspended in this game. A larger ship with a longer water line is faster in speed over ground than a smaller ship, but less manueverable.

If the game was closer to reality, the token generation would be disparate between the types of ships, it should take longer to generate port and starboard turn tokens on the bigger ships than it would to generate a forward, and vice versa, on a small ship it should take longer to generate forward moves than port/starboard turns. A warbrig could easily run down a sloop under normal conditions, a dhow or cutter vs. a sloop would be closely matched with a slight advantage to the larger vessel, etc.

If the system could be changed. All ships should be capable of 4 actions per turn, even if actions have to be forfeited due to lack of tokens, that way your big ships can take advantage of the extra forward moves generated.
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Oct 10, 2017 10:39:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

I love Fanchuans. Large CB's with 12 max crew. 3-5 shots and everything is maxed that you are able to fight.

Given the posts that follow this one, I am inclined to consider the Fanchuan as a serious option, it seems like it would outshine any lesser ship and has great potential in taking on ships slightly bigger or similarly manned.

Problem with 4 moves is that even with max sails you don't get 4 tokens per turn

This! Originally, at the time of making this thread I hadn't really thought on this but it's actually pretty huge and the user who posted after also does a good job on identifying some issues in sailing & movement. It's actually kind of a big deal I think. Not to compare a game to reality really but to point it out, smaller ships had some advantage in maneuvering which of course was offset by the bigger ships in other respects but it could potentially make for some interesting strategies?

Speaking as an experienced sailor, the physics and laws fluid dynamics are completely suspended in this game. A larger ship with a longer water line is faster in speed over ground than a smaller ship, but less manueverable.

If the game was closer to reality, the token generation would be disparate between the types of ships, it should take longer to generate port and starboard turn tokens on the bigger ships than it would to generate a forward, and vice versa, on a small ship it should take longer to generate forward moves than port/starboard turns. A warbrig could easily run down a sloop under normal conditions, a dhow or cutter vs. a sloop would be closely matched with a slight advantage to the larger vessel, etc.

If the system could be changed. All ships should be capable of 4 actions per turn, even if actions have to be forfeited due to lack of tokens, that way your big ships can take advantage of the extra forward moves generated.

Interesting stuff! I came to a similar line of thought when as you had mentioned big to small ships and the comparison between them. Bigger ships would be faster on the straight and I'd imagine that if combat was to ensue between say a WB and a Sloop then that ability to maneuver at a greater rate would quickly buckle if the larger vessel managed to tag the smaller one even slightly, crippling them or outright disabling the smaller ship. A big difference between the two ships is the crew, a sloop or smaller ship can function at maximum efficiency with far less crew.

I do actually feel that this could use some revitalization and this also has the potential to do so without being game breaking. Letting ships function more uniquely for what they are sounds great no? It has the potential to add another layer of strategy. Some ships have had small niches where they are preferential to others but I'd suggest this is more due to mechanics that punish larger ships and that they are harder to efficiently man(and woman!) due to the nature of the game and reality, it's not really realistic to have a large vessel perform optimally all the time.

I could keep going but I have to stop myself there, otherwise the brain will start to cook up a myriad of suggestions in the wrong forum and unfortunately it's unlikely to see much in the way of change on the system we have I feel. It's effectively provided me a solid answer on ship movement between vessels which is great! I see room for changes and I feel that would pave the way for even more changes.

Heh, I'd like to see that with Obsidian to be fair, we have a well preserved model of the game via the old client, hopefully Greyhaven's do challenge themselves and us, by adding more to the game.. The basis of ships is absolutely critical to the game. I don't see much depth to owning more than 2-3 variety of ship, there isn't really anything on offer and our current system doesn't lend to seeing bigger ships ever leaving port..

Ok now I'll stop myself lol, thanks for the stimulating thoughts.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Oct 11, 2017 11:54:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates