• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 1054
Posts: 1054   Pages: 36   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 195473 times and has 1053 replies Next Thread
Demeter
OceanMaster

Trophy Speculation and Discussion: Part 4 Reply to this Post

Another chapter!

Threads One, Two and Three are here, and speculations that have been proved are on the YPPedia page.

To quote from the original threads, which are now locked:
Ahoy! To keep Tips & Tricks from being flooded, and to reduce accidental spoilers, all discussion and speculation regarding Trophies should be placed in this thread.
To clarify, in line with our forums spoiler policy only those trophies found in a player's trophy collection in-game should be discussed. Images or names of trophies not found in-game and in a player's trophy collection should not be posted in this thread or on the forums.
----------------------------------------
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Mar 30, 2011 7:23:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barney25

Re: Trophy Speculation and Discussion: Part 4 Reply to this Post

Methinks there should be a separate "Jinxed Idol Speculation and Discussion" thread just to keep all that consolidated in a single thread without being interlaced with all the other speculation.
Barney
SO of "Silver Dreams"
Hunter Ocean
<><
Cairna wrote: 
Barny alone is capable to sink us :(

[Mar 30, 2011 10:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Barney [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Methinks there should be a separate "Jinxed Idol Speculation and Discussion" thread just to keep all that consolidated in a single thread without being interlaced with all the other speculation.

Seconded.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Mar 30, 2011 3:08:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Thirded.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Mar 30, 2011 5:14:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Derko

erm, fourthed
[Mar 30, 2011 5:16:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    masterchief585@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Chaosrunner9

It's been 3 (?) years, and still nobody has a clue on its triggers?
[Mar 30, 2011 8:02:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

A - A certain number of disconnections?
B - Losing on the river with a 99% winning hand?
C - Awarded for never getting a decent prize after opening 1000 large chests?
D - Awarded randomly at logon to frustrate every player in the game?

There's so many possibilities, and it's not awarded when it's triggered, so I don't think it can ever be figured out. We're better off treating it as option D and moving on.

Oh, wait, we're not supposed to be discussing the idol here. :)

And while I'm here, I'm pretty sure that the triggers for Battered Hat and the Duty Navigation trophies are incorrect. The Hat seems to have been changed back to needing to be done in a single round, and both I and another regular dnavver both got our first trophy in about 15-20 boards, not 100.
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[Mar 30, 2011 11:02:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Chaosrunner9 wrote: 

Three years and... twenty days. And yeah, we're not even in the ballpark yet.
[Mar 30, 2011 11:50:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitchell_420

Chaosrunner9 wrote: 

Three years and... twenty days. And yeah, we're not even in the ballpark yet.

Consider log times.

Either the precise time you log on, the time you log off and/or the time elapsed between the two.

- Candlejack
[Mar 31, 2011 12:19:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clenito

I also agree for the Jinxed Idol's thread, even if I don't think there is a special trigger for it.

Regarding new pillaging trophies (bronze ships etc.), can anyone confirm that BKs don't count towards them ? I got my Bronze Sloop on 11th or 12th wins (yeah I can't count), but I'm sure I did at least one sloop BK.
Barbecul, on Emerald.

on Youtube

My trinkets
[Mar 31, 2011 1:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Clenito wrote: 
Regarding new pillaging trophies (bronze ships etc.), can anyone confirm that BKs don't count towards them ? I got my Bronze Sloop on 11th or 12th wins (yeah I can't count), but I'm sure I did at least one sloop BK.

I can't confirm, but I can lend supporting evidence. Did a sloop BK on Ice, which didn't appear to count towards the ten. Proof would probably require someone on a fresh alt to do ten BK battles... then I guess another ten normal battles.
[Mar 31, 2011 4:18:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

Several weeks ago I participated in a pillage contest, BK wins and losses did not count in my sea battle win/loss tally for the day so I would speculate they don't count towards the trophy.
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Mar 31, 2011 1:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

B and C are, iirc, false, as various people have won it without ever using the pirate to poker/smh. (Unless it's a multi-trigger thing.) I don't know if we've tested A, but I think it's likewise not there.

Soon we'll get another glimpse at the jinxed idol thread.
Hrengito on all oceans, primarily Sage. Memmed: Sage(356/356).Viridian sea(25/282).
Best solo recorded 2-stop 50L time: 60m. In opposition to aftcastles for sloops everywhere.
[Mar 31, 2011 6:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inframan8

Is it Shoppe/Labor related? I havent read to much into to see if they disproved it but it seems like mostly labor alts have won it.
Inframan
Super Retired.
Newest!
Loathe says, "Infra is carp god."
[Mar 31, 2011 8:12:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

B and C are, iirc, false, as various people have won it without ever using the pirate to poker/smh. (Unless it's a multi-trigger thing.) I don't know if we've tested A, but I think it's likewise not there.

I was really just listing 3 things at random to drive home the point that it's probably D, and even if it isn't we should just assume it is so that we can stop agonizing over it. ;)

Once again, wasn't this thread started off by saying 'make a separate thread for the idol, dammit'.
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[Mar 31, 2011 8:28:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Regarding the Jinxed Idol, it seems to me that you have a much greater chance to win it on oceans with a lower population. Almost every semi-active player on Crimson had it, as well as Ice. Maybe it's just the first person to log in after a certain amount of time or something? Whatever it is, it must be something that you are more likely to get if there are less people playing.
Sprngweather & Picory
[Mar 31, 2011 11:46:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Regarding the Jinxed Idol, it seems to me that you have a much greater chance to win it on oceans with a lower population. Almost every semi-active player on Crimson had it, as well as Ice. Maybe it's just the first person to log in after a certain amount of time or something? Whatever it is, it must be something that you are more likely to get if there are less people playing.

Me personally, I have it on an alt I use rarely on Coblat, but am yet to get it on my main I have been logging into almost daily for over 6 years - But with my sample size of 1, hardly a compelling stat.

I just went trawling through the Crimson stats though.... There does appear to be a disproportionate number of pirates there with it. Fits the picture if it is loaded to randomly award x number of idols per ocean per day. Of course, there is no bias in my scientific study :P

Common sense however, suggests that if the ringers wanted to put something in there to mess with everybody's heads - there is no reason for them to bother coding in anything more complicated than simply basing it on the number of log ins.

If there is a genuine, non random trigger (I suspect not - but never the less), there is also nothing stopping them putting code in delaying the awarding of the trophy by a set number of log ins.

However... disproving this theory is possible. If somebody can be bothered, nothing to stop somebody writing a script gathering the data of a large chunk of pirates in game and then having somebody with a decent handling of statistics to play with the numbers. I will leave it to somebody better qualified to wrok out what number of pirates you would need before you can start validly crunching numbers (I'm assuming that the exercise would not need the downloading of an entire oceans worth of pirates)

Then you just check the stats comparing each oceans percentage chance of having the idol. There should be a solid correlation between how busy each of the oceans are, and how experienced each pirate is and the number of idols floating around on the ocean. (also remembering that the doub oceans should also have labor alts floating in there to boost/lower their numbers) If it is x idols per ocean - the sub oceans should be showing more idols, based on the fact that the doub oceans will have labor alts that can not be captured in spidering the ocean. The unknown is if people "average life span" of living on an ocean is roughly the same across the board.

With a set of data gathered from such a spider, would also be a useful tool for testing a number of ideas... For example, if the idol was tied to coming into contact with another idol holder - we should see stats showing that which crew your in is a better indicator of idol likelihood than experience)

Nb: It would also generate some hard data to disprove that it is random, however if the stats showed that the best indicator of getting the trophy is something like experience, this does not disprove the trigger being a not so random event that the player has no control over... for example, a trigger tied to the next pirate login in after an OM logs in for example)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Apr 1, 2011 3:10:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyand

Gold Sloop
[Apr 1, 2011 3:19:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garfields

my sources tell me that the jinxed idol's trigger is changed every so often.

source may or may not be reliable
Garfields of Meridian
[Apr 1, 2011 3:29:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

And it had no new posts. Oh well.
Hrengito on all oceans, primarily Sage. Memmed: Sage(356/356).Viridian sea(25/282).
Best solo recorded 2-stop 50L time: 60m. In opposition to aftcastles for sloops everywhere.
[Apr 1, 2011 4:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

my sources tell me that the jinxed idol's trigger is changed every so often.

source may or may not be reliable

Because everything else in that forum is true, so this must be!
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Apr 1, 2011 4:12:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Granilithe

Spade Monkey Reply to this Post

Well I assume this makes me a buzzkill for april fools but on the trophy page there is listed a Spade Monkey but the pirate it says has it does not, which if it does actually exist would make it a spoiler.
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

[Apr 1, 2011 6:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dreampirate21.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

Re: Spade Monkey Reply to this Post

Well I assume this makes me a buzzkill for april fools but on the trophy page there is listed a Spade Monkey but the pirate it says has it does not, which if it does actually exist would make it a spoiler.

Look carefully at the rest of the information. Then come back tomorrow.
[Apr 1, 2011 6:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Granilithe

Look carefully at the rest of the information. Then come back tomorrow.

I'm aware but either way still against TOS and I have seen people attempting to scam over it. Not the best way to go about an April Fools Joke. If you wanted to do a joke like that how about one that wouldn't risk people getting scammed out of a mil poe?
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

[Apr 1, 2011 6:54:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dreampirate21.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I agree with you that it's not the appropriate place for an April Fools' joke, but then I went "hey, it's only a day. I'll let it stand and someone can tell him off afterwards." There's only three and a half hours left, in any case.

That said, April Fools has been over and done with for thirteen and a half hours here where I live. Some people are just behind the times. =P

As for spoiler policy violations, it's just a rather blurry recolour of the Jade Monkey trophy, not a real trophy in its own right. I don't think. Anyone being scammed out of a million poe while attempting to win the trophy probably deserves to lose it. Anyone taking the trophy seriously and using it to scam people out of poe should be laughed at for falling for the joke, and then /complained.

If it does violate any rules, I'd say... wiki vandalism?
[Apr 1, 2011 7:34:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rathmaz

Is there currently a trophy for multiple "nice set" bonuses in carpentry?
[Apr 1, 2011 8:14:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

Is there currently a trophy for multiple "nice set" bonuses in carpentry?

None we've heard of yet.
[Apr 1, 2011 8:23:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chaosrunner9

edit: Ignore this post.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chaosrunner9 at Apr 1, 2011 9:24:01 PM]
[Apr 1, 2011 9:23:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clenito

April Seal Reply to this Post

I just was awarded the April Seal, after a loss (during a pilly)

And apparently, frays from Atlantis counted, because I only did like 10 sea battles, and other people received it during Atlantis.
Barbecul, on Emerald.

on Youtube

My trinkets
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clenito at Apr 2, 2011 6:19:07 AM]
[Apr 2, 2011 6:17:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
auron71

I know I am not really a regular on this thread but as far as the jinxed idol goes has anyone tried logging in at or around the same time as someone with it already?

It could be one of those things that is passed on from pirate to pirate.

Possible triggers like that could be

Or be the first person to log in after someone with the idol logs in. (or out)

It could explain how an ocean with low population has a bunch of people that have it if it is the second trigger. Because the window of opportunity to log in could be quite long.
Seymour of viridian
[Apr 2, 2011 7:50:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 1054   Pages: 36   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates