• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 283
Posts: 283   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 65684 times and has 282 replies Next Thread
Erfan

Sega shuts down OOO/YPP? Reply to this Post

Is anyone talking about this somewhere? May we have an update from OOO please?

Sega announces they're shutting down OOO?
----------------------------------------

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Erfan at Mar 7, 2016 11:19:44 PM]
[Mar 7, 2016 6:09:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Sega shuts down OOO/YPP? Reply to this Post

[In the initial article] is just mentions "saying goodbye" to the members as part of Sega.

So maybe OOO can continue running YPP as it's own company, since there's no mention of "shutting down". That seems like a phrase used by the spinoff article to pull attention.

Or, I hope.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Mar 7, 2016 6:20:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

I sent in a petition cause I'm super good at utilizing things and got the following response, so maybe I'm participating in good old fashioned HWFO:
It's true that we did have some layoffs. However, the game is still up and running, as is Spiral Knights. I don't have much more to share at the moment, and we'll update players as soon as we're able. In the meantime, thanks for your understanding during this sad and difficult time.

I suspect since all the apostrophes were question marks this was a cut and paste PR response, so I dunno what that means.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
[Mar 7, 2016 6:21:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hmm, so Sega then still owns rights to YPP, but OOO is gone from the equation? I'm wondering who "we" is in that answer, OOO or Sega?

"Sad and difficult time" truly.

[I was all geared up with some hot tea and some rare free time to do some portrait background brainstorming, but I noticed the tea was in a YPP mug and my mouse on a YPP pad so I drew this instead because sad a good portrait background does not make. I guess I'll just sit here for a bit and wait for the, hopefully good, word.]

Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 5 times, last edit by cattrin at Mar 9, 2016 7:45:34 PM]
[Mar 7, 2016 6:24:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

:(

The real treasure has been the friends I've made along the way

Before I start crying on the outside, I think I'll wait for an official response about this. Maybe it's just an opportunity to take the game in a new direction?
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 7, 2016 7:27:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Before I start crying on the outside, I think I'll wait for an official response about this. Maybe it's just an opportunity to take the game in a new direction?

That's my stance too! Needs more information before the HWFO.

My heart says optimism but my brain says go stare at a wall for a couple hours and contemplate the last twelve years of your life just in case.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Mar 7, 2016 7:30:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

WILD SPECULATION GO:

On Ice they did this so maaaaybe Sega is giving OOO back to OOO so they can go back to actually promoting YPP and get us some new players so we can all feed our addictions for the next decade?

Linky idea and wild speculation brought to you by my personal private investigator, who is an expert because she played every one of the Nancy Drew games growing up.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Erfan at Mar 7, 2016 8:14:45 PM]
[Mar 7, 2016 8:09:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

http://www.develop-online.net/news/job-losses-strike-three-rings-design-as-part-of-sega-mobile-layoffs/0217523
- from http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=204536
[Mar 7, 2016 10:42:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

What the hell, Faulky, can't you just plug into the mainframe and tell us what's going on in the emails? I am very disappointed in your cyborg booty, right now.

[Mar 7, 2016 10:46:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
Lofwyr

Just to quote the original source:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/04/sega-confirms-layoffs-in-western-mobile-division-to-focus-on-it-famous-characters/
Lofwyr on Emerald (not active on any other)

SO of Privateers
Prince of Black Flag
[Mar 7, 2016 10:49:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Purpure

I'm dumbfounded. Gobsmacked. Flabbergasted. The works.

I hope this doesn't mean the game is sentenced to abandonware.
The Bastard of Colors.
Purpure on Emerald, also on Meridian.
Cendree on Cerulean.
[Mar 7, 2016 11:11:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://theoriginalfive.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

http://www.develop-online.net/news/job-losses-strike-three-rings-design-as-part-of-sega-mobile-layoffs/0217523
- from http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=204536
Figures Faulkston would be the one to deliver this news.

Ah well. Surprised it lasted this long.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 8, 2016 12:07:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

It will be down to what did SEGA actually own, was it just the rights to the games, or the bulk shares in the company also.

All players can do is wait until they make an announcement going forward, but it would also be good of us to keep in mind that the people at OOO have basically just been told they're being made redundant and we're talking about peoples livelihoods here.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Mar 8, 2016 12:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

This is a very sad announcement indeed.
For the players but mainly for the employees.
I wish them all strength and for now.. fingers crossed!
Wouldn't want to miss this one of a kind game.
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Cattrin
[Mar 8, 2016 3:35:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

So maybe OOO can continue running YPP as it's own company, since there's no mention of "shutting down". That seems like a phrase used by the spinoff article to pull attention.

Or, I hope.

Indeed, it is possible that there will be very few changes to YPP, with the major impact coming on all the other games that OOO has (or is) developing. Bang Howdy, for example, may well be toast now.

It could also mean that major new changes to YPP may be cut off, for example,three years ago, OOO put a huge amount of effort into supporting tablets. Sadly, that tablet support did not turn out well. I suspect that Sega won't allow such a massive project for YPP again. :-<

However, YPP by itself probably still turns a profit so shutting it down would be foolish.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Mar 8, 2016 4:51:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

appearance bang howdy is dead enough that OOO open sourced it

https://github.com/greyhavens/bang-game
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
Developer for Nautical Spy Agency
[Mar 8, 2016 4:54:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I'd just like to stress that this article- and the one Erfan posted, are spinoffs of the original I linked to in my post. There's no new information than what's in the original article, which mentions no "closing" of anything, just "goodbye" from the Sega family.

So any phrasing used in those articles might just be sensationalist appeal until we actually hear from OOO.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Mar 8, 2016 6:34:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Fire sale, white familiars for everyone!
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Mar 8, 2016 9:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Eurydice
Community Manager

Ahoy, mates! We don't currently have news to share other than what you've already seen in this thread. When there's more, we'll absolutely let you know. In the meantime, as you can see, Puzzle Pirates is running as usual.

Sorry I can't be more informative right away. I know waiting is rough, and I really appreciate the lack of HWFO and wild speculation you've shown here. Rum for everyone. <3
Sigismundo tells you, "Ask not for whom the tiny violin shrills. It shrills for thee."
[Mar 8, 2016 9:54:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.guildcafe.com/member/Eurydice [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Ahoy, mates! We don't currently have news to share other than what you've already seen in this thread. When there's more, we'll absolutely let you know. In the meantime, as you can see, Puzzle Pirates is running as usual.
Thanks for at least letting us know you've heard.

I assume that OOO will post an official announcement later regarding Sega's post, and OOO's future plans. Is this correct?
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Mar 8, 2016 10:22:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Eurydice wrote: 
Sorry I can't be more informative right away. I know waiting is rough, and I really appreciate the lack of HWFO and wild speculation you've shown here. RumWhite monkeys for everyone. <3

FTFY
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Mar 8, 2016 10:36:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

I'll try not to freak out yet, but this game means a lot to me. Please don't go.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Mar 8, 2016 11:28:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Sorry I can't be more informative right away. I know waiting is rough, and I really appreciate the lack of HWFO and wild speculation you've shown here. Rum for everyone. <3

We appreciate the response. Hopefully, Sega is merely selling off the company to someone who might take better care of it.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Mar 8, 2016 1:05:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MsXtreme

SAVE PUZZLE PIRATES! GoFundMe...

https://www.gofundme.com/Puzzle-Pirates
[Mar 8, 2016 1:33:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I think that's a little premature before we actually know what's going on.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Mar 8, 2016 1:36:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Besides, if anyone's gonna save OOO let's get Lizthegrey on the phone.

[Mar 8, 2016 1:43:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
Monliz

Lizthegrey would get it fixed and Castor would have calmed the masses in the ensuing panic the oceans are experiencing now.
Monlizzy
Captain and Counselor of Midnight Aurora
Queen of Imperial Coalition on the Meridian Ocean
Queen of Lion's Bane on the Obsidian Ocean
Shawe tells ye, "would not be surprised if you were a man the way you act half the time lol"
[Mar 8, 2016 1:50:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

shared and tweeted :^)
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
Developer for Nautical Spy Agency
[Mar 8, 2016 1:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Lizthegrey would get it fixed and Castor would have calmed the masses in the ensuing panic the oceans are experiencing now.

And get rid of the botters. This plan is looking better and better.

[Mar 8, 2016 1:56:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
kschmauch

Something will more likely be announced sooner rather then later so it doesn't effect dub and subscription purchases to much.
Keverrs on the Viridian Ocean
[Mar 8, 2016 2:18:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 283   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates