• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 58
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15842 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
HiimEric2001

Re: Cire's Super Bowl Pool 2009 [Win up to 500k]

Numbers will be drawn tonight at 8pm game time at the Midsummer inn! Please feel free to come witness it live. Send a /tell to Sprngweather for an invite. To have some extra fun in what might otherwise be a boring occurrence, there will be some local tournaments set up.

How the number "drawing" will work:

I will be there on Cire and my alt, Arodum. The horizontal numbers will be selected first, from left to right, then the vertical numbers will be selected from top to bottom. To specify which one is currently being drawn I will say something like Horizontal1 or H1.

I will then start up a Treasure Drop game vs myself. In this game I will take note of the positioning of the first 4 flippers, the entire top row. Flippers that are positioned LEFT will be 1s. Flippers positioned RIGHT will be 0s. This will give us a 4 digit binary number.

That number will then be converted into a decimal number. If it is 0-9 that will be the number assigned to that column. If it is higher than 9 there will be a redo. If it is a number that has been used already, there will be a redo.

Here is an example:

In the above image, the top flippers are Left-Right-Left-Right. The binary number we get from this is 1010. This equals 8+0+2+0. That equals 10. Ten is too high, so that would get a redo.

If there are any questions feel free to post them or poke me in game. Hope to see ye mates tonight! :D
----------------------------------------
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jan 28, 2009 10:02:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Okay! Here are the results of the drawing!

Horizontal numbers: 3, 7, 8, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6, 0, 9

Vertical numbers: 5, 6, 0, 1, 3, 2, 9, 4, 7, 8

Thanks to everyone who came out and had some fun with us! I'll get the numbers posted to the board soon, and hopefully get more printer friendly versions up later tonight.
Cire

[Jan 28, 2009 9:23:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

made this printer friendly. You should be able to save image and print any size you want.

If any corrections need to be made. Please let me know asap. I checked for accuracy but more eyes are better than just mine.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jan 29, 2009 10:10:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Thanks Flutie! That looks perfect ^_^
Cire

[Jan 29, 2009 10:19:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blacklab

Sweet, I got the prime spot for a defensive clash and total shutout.
That was clearly yours.

Labradonis, Lover of Lime, Rock Star of the Dallas Party
[Jan 30, 2009 1:10:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    blacklab1113 [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

I'm prayin for a nice 7-7 tie at the end of the first quarter.
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Jan 30, 2009 4:46:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Devil_Reno

I got plausible, though unlikely, numbers. We'll see!
Mudbeard on the Cerulean Ocean

Hephaestus says, "Bah, you lot are no fun. They're all frightened of me on Viridian."

Cynestria says, "I'm secretly a big black man"

[Jan 31, 2009 11:39:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

*anxiously watches, waiting for the review...*

*edit* woooo! knew that 7-7 would be a good one!
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
[Edit 1 times, last edit by frogkissed11 at Feb 1, 2009 4:58:09 PM]
[Feb 1, 2009 4:55:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

yay to my 3-0
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

[Feb 1, 2009 5:37:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

ooh did I get the 3rd quarter one?
Davsbrander
[Feb 1, 2009 6:16:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

looks like it
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

[Feb 1, 2009 6:25:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Man. I hope they both get another TD with extra point to make the score 27-21.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

[Feb 1, 2009 6:32:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Cire, dear, you aren't supposed to win your own event!

:-P
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Feb 1, 2009 7:05:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Noes. Bad Arizona. That 2 pointer is screwing my prediction.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

[Feb 1, 2009 7:06:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

Congrats Cire!
Davsbrander
[Feb 1, 2009 7:10:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devil_Reno

Ugh, I wanted the Cards to win =(

Congratz to all the winners!
Mudbeard on the Cerulean Ocean

Hephaestus says, "Bah, you lot are no fun. They're all frightened of me on Viridian."

Cynestria says, "I'm secretly a big black man"

[Feb 1, 2009 7:12:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

I dont know if i should be happy or sad. I won poes. yeay! but I wanted the cards to win :/
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
[Feb 1, 2009 7:12:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Wow! Not only was the an amazing Super Bowl but it was personally one of the most exciting for me. Yea, I do feel kinda bad for winning some of the prize in my own event, but one of the main reasons I wanted to do this was the excitement of participating! :D

Congratulations to the big winners tonight!

Flutie: 62.5k
Jainasolo: 125k
Davsbrander: 62.5k
Cire: 250k

I'm also very excited to say that I will be planning another pool (or 2) for next year! I'm really looking forward to using the prize money from tonight to contributing to extra prizes for next year's.

Please check back on this thread in the next couple days, as I will be posting some follow up questions on how everybody like the event, and ways they think it could be improved.

I'm very interested in doing a special pool that you can only get into by winning smaller events, which would have more than just poe as prizes. ;)

I'll be looking for the winners to give out prizes in the next week. Unfortunately I won't be on tonight, as I think my friend wants his computer back :P

Out of Philly tomorrow and back to home in NJ! Thanks again to everyone who participated! This is a very community intensive event and I hope everyone had fun looking over who won and who got very close!
Cire

[Feb 1, 2009 7:26:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

For those of us that didn't actually get to watch the game.. could the scores be posted?
Fizz -- RETIRED Senior Officer of Phoenix Warriors, Lady of Tyrs Own
[Feb 1, 2009 9:58:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

For those of us that didn't actually get to watch the game.. could the scores be posted?

1st Quarter (Flutie)
Arizona - 0
Pittsburg - 3

Halftime (Jainasolo)
Arizona - 7
Pittsburg - 17

3rd Quarter (Davsbrander)
Arizona - 7
Pittsburg - 20

Final (Cire)
Arizona - 23
Pittsburg - 27
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Feb 1, 2009 10:17:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Yarr! Congrats again to the winners, and I hope everyone had a really exciting time watching! That was a particularly good game for a pool. It seemed like anything could happen.

Okay, now some feedback questions for ye mates:

First off, for those who didn't win, were ye still able to get some extra excitement from watching the game? I actually had my friends comment to me that I should wager lots on every game because I was so pumped!

The boxes were 5k each this time, with 500k being paid out. Was that a good amount? Would any of ye be interested in doing 10k per box next year? That would make the total payouts 1 million poe. I was very excited that all the boxes sold with such short notice. At 5k each they sold in about a week and a half. Next year I will start taking money waaaay earlier so a higher stakes deal may be more feasible.

Next year I would like to add more prizes for sure. I'd like to add a reverse prize for each quarter, where if you have the winning score, but the teams are reversed you'd still get a little something. This will lead to more winners which is a desired goal. Any idea for additional ways to add more winners?

Next year I would like to add some non-poe prizes to the pool too (in addition to the poe). For example, the winner of the first quarter might get a sloop too.

I'm considering running 2 pools next year. One would be the traditional one, like we did this year, where people simply buy boxes to enter. Another would be where you win boxes in other smaller events throughout the year. No one would pay for boxes in this one, but I'd like the prizes to be very lucrative to get people excited about it. Would the existence of that pool discourage you from entering the pay-to-play pool?

This year I put a limit on 5 boxes per person. The goal of this was to get more people involved which, in my opinion at least, makes it much more fun. It wouldn't have been as fun for me if I had 5 boxes and one person had the other 95.

I realize that it is very easy to get around limits like this with the use of alts and what not. I am confident that didn't happen this year, since I knew almost everyone who entered, and was heartied with most. Should I scrap the limit on number of boxes, think of a better way to enforce it, or use the honor system again?

I may have missed some aspect of something. If there is anything you particularly liked, disliked, think could have been improved, or whatever, please leave feedback to help make it even more fun next year!

Also, are there other North American/World sports that people would be interested in doing something similar with? Keep in mind there needs to be a reasonable chance of getting the numbers from 0-9 in the score. Hockey for example is possible. In that case the numbers would correspond to the total number of goals a team scores in the entire Stanley Cup finals.

Your feedback is very much appreciated mates! :D
Cire

[Feb 2, 2009 11:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

I think sports like hockey and soccer are too low scoring during a single game and stretching it out over multiple games I think wouldn't be as much fun. Basketball is too high scoring and it wouldn't be exciting until the end of each quarter. Games that you get only 1 point / goal/run/etc. aren't as interesting as games where there are a variety of ways to score various amounts of points.
Sprngweather & Picory
[Feb 2, 2009 11:37:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

Yarr! Congrats again to the winners, and I hope everyone had a really exciting time watching! That was a particularly good game for a pool. It seemed like anything could happen.

Okay, now some feedback questions for ye mates:

First off, for those who didn't win, were ye still able to get some extra excitement from watching the game? I actually had my friends comment to me that I should wager lots on every game because I was so pumped!

Hey, I won and got extra excitement! I haven't got much of an idea how the heck American Football works but it was fun watching it, especially since I learned how touchdowns actually work right at the end!

The boxes were 5k each this time, with 500k being paid out. Was that a good amount? Would any of ye be interested in doing 10k per box next year? That would make the total payouts 1 million poe. I was very excited that all the boxes sold with such short notice. At 5k each they sold in about a week and a half. Next year I will start taking money waaaay earlier so a higher stakes deal may be more feasible.

Personally I thought 5k per box was a good price, decent payouts but it opens it to loads of people. If it had been 10k I'd have less inclined to buy so many. I'd think that maybe running two pools next time rather than upping price would be a better way, more people get to enjoy the fun then too.

Next year I would like to add more prizes for sure. I'd like to add a reverse prize for each quarter, where if you have the winning score, but the teams are reversed you'd still get a little something. This will lead to more winners which is a desired goal. Any idea for additional ways to add more winners?

Next year I would like to add some non-poe prizes to the pool too (in addition to the poe). For example, the winner of the first quarter might get a sloop too.

Sounds good to me, perhaps the reverse winners could win a trinket or something :)

I'm considering running 2 pools next year. One would be the traditional one, like we did this year, where people simply buy boxes to enter. Another would be where you win boxes in other smaller events throughout the year. No one would pay for boxes in this one, but I'd like the prizes to be very lucrative to get people excited about it. Would the existence of that pool discourage you from entering the pay-to-play pool?

Personally no, but would you be able to impose the same limits on the number of boxes per person? More events are always good :D

This year I put a limit on 5 boxes per person. The goal of this was to get more people involved which, in my opinion at least, makes it much more fun. It wouldn't have been as fun for me if I had 5 boxes and one person had the other 95.

I realize that it is very easy to get around limits like this with the use of alts and what not. I am confident that didn't happen this year, since I knew almost everyone who entered, and was heartied with most. Should I scrap the limit on number of boxes, think of a better way to enforce it, or use the honor system again?

I think the limit system worked well, as you said it stops people from buying 20 boxes and opens it to plenty of people. Your coverage was good I saw it posted on plenty of forums, I don't know if it got onto the notice board, never thought to check.

I may have missed some aspect of something. If there is anything you particularly liked, disliked, think could have been improved, or whatever, please leave feedback to help make it even more fun next year!

Apart from the slight confusion about how the boxes were numbered, I think you ran a great event. Thanks!

Also, are there other North American/World sports that people would be interested in doing something similar with? Keep in mind there needs to be a reasonable chance of getting the numbers from 0-9 in the score. Hockey for example is possible. In that case the numbers would correspond to the total number of goals a team scores in the entire Stanley Cup finals.

Your feedback is very much appreciated mates! :D

I'd be interested, but not sure the FA Cup final will get up to 9 goals ;) Perhaps come the summer it could be adjusted to cricket, the final (number on the) score at the end of the day for each day of a test. The other number could be the wickets, though that will limit it slightly so perhaps the last two numbers on score, such as 389 for 1, would mean the numbers 8 and 9 come up.
So, at the end of each day you could win, that current pool running till the end of the test. Problems could arise come a test ending early instead of all 5 days being played, rain, quick match etc.

Alternatively you could chose the final number on each teams innings, to make it involve both teams at once.
This would then eliminate the problems of tests ending early, and seems a much better idea on reflection.
Davsbrander
[Feb 2, 2009 11:45:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

I think sports like hockey and soccer are too low scoring during a single game and stretching it out over multiple games I think wouldn't be as much fun. Basketball is too high scoring and it wouldn't be exciting until the end of each quarter. Games that you get only 1 point / goal/run/etc. aren't as interesting as games where there are a variety of ways to score various amounts of points.

Oh I don't know, basketball has more of a chance for different ending numbers than most of the other major sporting events. (even more so than football) Baseball, hockey are definitely too-low-scoring for it to be fun. Even stretching it out among several games I dont think would add to the excitement of it. For example, the world series could be 4,5,6 or 7 games, so it would be difficult to bet there.

I enjoyed the way this was set up, and would have enjoyed it even if I hadn't won something. Half of the excitement for me was finding out if I got good boxes or not!

I think the price per box was perfect for the average person. At 5k per, I think the limit of 5 boxes each was also good. However, I think if you wanted to do more expensive boxes, it might be good to up the limit of boxes per person. My thinking in that is that fewer people would be able to afford the higher costing boxes (with the potential of not all selling), but they would also be more likely to purchase more of the boxes.
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
[Feb 2, 2009 11:47:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Parrrdner

Excellent work! I would definitely do both the buy-in to play and the event-ish one. I'm excited about the event-ish one. :)

Edit: Also, in my (some experience and some opinion), basketball isn't as good cause the scores change too often, and hockey/baseball/soccer isn't as good because the scores change too rarely.
Pardner; Riot Forever
[but not around :/ these days ]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Parrrdner at Feb 2, 2009 1:32:06 PM]
[Feb 2, 2009 1:30:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Using the (last digit of) minutes played before first score is a way to provide a tie-breaker in sports where goals are relatively rare.
[Feb 2, 2009 2:11:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bdmidnight

You could still do Soccer and hockey and ect. games, but it doesnt have to be based on the score. You could have it like who will score, or between X and Y time in the game, stuff like that.
Bloodydeath
Senior Officer of Rated Arr
Lord of the flag Booching Blaggards
Midnight/Cerulean
[Feb 2, 2009 6:22:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
matt121493

You could still do Soccer and hockey and ect. games, but it doesnt have to be based on the score. You could have it like who will score, or between X and Y time in the game, stuff like that.

Or with play-off games etc, score when the first _____ (Such as Coca Cola/Polar Bear commercial for the SuperBowl) commercial comes on.
~ Bubbaspike, SO and Damsel of Bu Shi Do, Midnight ~
~Prince of Death Before Dishonor~

Life is a Box of Chocolates! All Oceans! Win a pig!
[Feb 2, 2009 6:28:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates