• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1858 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Frankiejoe

Looking to gain interest - High Stakes Poker

I am looking to see the level of interest from regular 200k poker players at the chance of setting up a 10k/20k blind game in the near future. I have played a lot of this version of the game on Hunter, and it appears to work.

Format:

In a local game at someone's house.

Normal 200k table with 1k/2k blinds. The 10k/20k blinds are done by people calling the minimum ante of 2k round to the blinds, where the SB raises it to 10k, and the LB raises it to 20k, at which point the rest of the table can call/raise or fold as they wish.

With the gameplay, unlimited rebuys are allowed, and expected.

There are obviously a few problems with this.

One is that players may not pay their blinds. For that reason, 200k will be taken as a deposit before they can sit down at the table, and will be returned on leaving. If any blinds are missed, the people that would be owed those blinds can be paid from the deposit. If no blinds are missed, the deposit will be returned in full.

Another problem would be from people that may want to watch. Watchers would be fine, but there is no way to stop them buying in for a small amount to annoy and confuse the play. Therefore any watchers would have to put a deposit down too, to prevent them from buying in, which would be returned on leaving.

The point of this post, is to see what interest there may be, and to work out any snags in the format. If there is enough interest, I would like to make a time and date for this to take place.

Feel free to comment away.
----------------------------------------
Frankiejoe
Midnight

[Dec 7, 2008 7:11:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Re: Looking to gain interest - High Stakes Poker

This is not an actual event, therefore this should be posted in the Events Workshop. You will get a better response there.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Dec 7, 2008 8:13:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frankiejoe

Well, as something to be organised for midnight, I would like to have it discussed in the midnight events section.
Frankiejoe
Midnight

[Dec 7, 2008 8:21:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Nevertheless, it isn't an event yet.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Dec 7, 2008 8:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
radders

Bah its close enough, just leave it here. I don't know about many others but I never check the Events workshop, I'm only likely to look in here since I just play Midnight.

Sounds like a good format although what will you do with people going away from the computer for a bit?
Radders

My Little Pony-tar by the amazing Shortyjack
[Dec 7, 2008 8:28:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

Meh again I agree with Radders. Leave it here. I'd be semi interested and seems a good format. The way to combat the watchers seems a good one, since if its in a local house you can use /plank to remove those that don't pay up.
Davsbrander
[Dec 7, 2008 8:32:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dan1701

Meh again I agree with Radders. Leave it here. I'd be semi interested and seems a good format. The way to combat the watchers seems a good one, since if its in a local house you can use /plank to remove those that don't pay up.

Plank won't remove them from the game though, so it would need to be pay before entry.
Next point is who do you think the those involved could/would trust to hold 200k?
The overall format seems like it could work.
Mrtickle/Mrtickles More commonly in plural form

Still Rioting if less than ever.
[Dec 8, 2008 2:01:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

Plank won't remove them from the game though, so it would need to be pay before entry.
Next point is who do you think the those involved could/would trust to hold 200k?
The overall format seems like it could work.

True, sometimes it's easy to forget little things like that.
As for who holds the poe... Maybe what would be best is to get 2/3 people that people trust to be made housemates and the poe is put into a chest in the house with a record of who has paid in the house news. That way the poe can be checked that it's been received etc.

Edit: YAY Christmas avatar!
Davsbrander
[Edit 1 times, last edit by davsbrander at Dec 8, 2008 3:18:12 AM]
[Dec 8, 2008 3:17:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jutecloth

If you're going to use deposits in a local game, you could make a 20-200 table and treat each PoE there as being worth 10K from the deposits. That way you wouldn't have to mess about with the blinds every hand.
Bakunin wrote: 
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called "the People's Stick".
Darksand wrote: 
[S]chadenfreude is a positive externality for some of us.

[Dec 8, 2008 3:45:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates