• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22672 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

LE Portrait Background Contest - Revamped Edition! [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

OMG, it's really here!

Winners!

Did you miss us!? We have missed you all! I'm certain that during this hiatus you have all sharpened your pens and honed your skills!

There will be several changes to the way we run this contest from this point on, including timing and prizes. It will also be subject to change from one contest to the next. The most important changes: we will now have fewer contest throughout the year and we will choose several winners for each contest. However, the winning backgrounds will not be enabled in game at the same time, but instead they will be spaced out for a period of a few months and significant dates will be saved for that particular period.

Without further ado, let's give this a go!

Our first contest will cover any holiday, activities or seasonal themes between mid-December to mid-March. Any theme goes!

Deadline: Tuesday, November 8th, 11:59pm game time

Submissions:
Create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

The usual pesky rules, you probably know them by heart now:
* Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
* References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed without notice.
* You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post.
* There is no need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
* Players may participate with as many backgrounds as they like and any player may have multiple backgrounds chosen as winners.
* Previous work (that belongs to you) can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the season. Avoid crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before. We are looking for new material!

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "oct16contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{oct16contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{oct16contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{oct16contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

To make sure your entry is uploaded correctly, check using a tag search.

Judging:
* The entries will be judged by the Grey Havens' arrrtists and the winners will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background.
* Winning portrait backgrounds may also be re-used for limited times later or could be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background.
* The same player may be chosen more than once for different entries.
* Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available.

In addition to that, each winning entry will receive in the ocean of their choice (same account as winning pirate):
* choice of clothing or furniture item*
* choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy if they don't already have one.
* A surprise prize for overall winner!

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons for the free copy and the trophy will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game.
* Clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. No limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.

Suggestions:
* Make it look like it came right out of the game.
* Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
* Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
* Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
* Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
* A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
* Avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
* The composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Suggestions and links:

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit: forums ate the apostrophes!

----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Dec 2, 2016 6:23:12 PM]
[Oct 10, 2016 9:01:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lossweforget

Re: LE Portrait Background Contest - Revamped Edition! Reply to this Post

*SCREECHES* ALL MY YESH!!! Have missed this SO much!
Vampii Raeshel on Meridian since '05

[Oct 10, 2016 9:34:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

YESSSS!!!! Thank you!
XD now to go sit under a rock and try to think of ideas again...

Still, yaaaaaaayyy!
Dragonjayne of Emerald
[Oct 11, 2016 5:18:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Yusssssssssssssssss! :)
Excitement overload!
Bisca - Obsidian Ocean - former Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Jumar
[Oct 11, 2016 10:51:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so I would love feedback on some of my prior entries that I'm hoping to rework for this contest!!! If any of you could offer your two cents, I'd be really grateful :)

These two are for late winter/early spring stuff

And this one is more Christmassy

Already on the last one I'm thinking of cleaning up the outlines to make it crisper & smoother, and adding more detail to the bird. But all sorts of feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Oct 11, 2016 11:54:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Wuppypuppy.

Hey darling!
Bisca's Back-up
1. It's actually really cute
2. I'd add a little more distels (flowers)
3. The white snow outlines are too thick, the other white on the ground just falls away and makes it look odd.
The ideas are amazing, keep on the good work.

[Oct 13, 2016 1:26:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomo10

NEED . EGG . MUST . COMMIT O.O
Acidd Emerald
[Oct 14, 2016 5:54:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
pixierain486

Glad to hear that this is back! :) Very excited to draw up some new backgrounds for the contest!

Here's some of the backgrounds I've done for it so far :P

*~* Scythera of Obsidian & Meridian & Emerald Ocean *~*

[Edit 1 times, last edit by pixierain486 at Oct 15, 2016 10:05:02 AM]
[Oct 14, 2016 9:52:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.cherrycake4.com [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Glad to hear that this is back! :) Very excited to draw up some new backgrounds for the Autumn season!

That's beautiful! A great background for the chilly October or November evenings.

But the time range they're looking for is between mid-December to mid-March. I suppose that could be Autumn in some parts of the world, but since it's not Autumn in YPP-time I don't think that's the best way to spend your effort. Definitely keep that one for next year though!

Okay so I would love feedback on some of my prior entries that I'm hoping to rework for this contest!!! If any of you could offer your two cents, I'd be really grateful :)

Could we see them with the cutouts on top?
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Oct 14, 2016 6:43:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomo10

HELP! i'm so bad at this, what some easy programs, been playing around in art rage but i can't figure out how to make the icing more 3D, i need to highlight parts with a lighter color but none of the tools work :( sos, what are some other good free programs

also any suggestions on how to make this look better?

Acidd Emerald
[Oct 15, 2016 3:20:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

Have you used GIMP before? It's completely free and should have everything you need. It can be a little tricky to figure out at first but if you need, there are plenty of tutorials out there. I tend to draw and ink my lines on paper, and then color the scanned (or photographed) version with GIMP.
The portrait backgrounds I have made before were done with a free drawing app on my kindle fire called Sketch n Draw Pad HD, but that one takes more work so I don't use it much anymore.
Dragonjayne of Emerald
[Oct 15, 2016 8:55:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pixierain486

@cattrin

Thank you! and you are right, I guess since I'm from Australia the autumn season is always in March but probably not for where Puzzle Pirates is :S I'll be doing more seasonal related backgrounds then! :P

[Edit 1 times, last edit by pixierain486 at Oct 15, 2016 10:07:19 AM]
[Oct 15, 2016 10:06:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.cherrycake4.com [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Have you used GIMP before?

Seconded, GIMP is nice. I wrote up a suuuuuper simple tutorial for it ages back, and if that may help you, please let me know!!

Lately, I've been drawing with a free program called Krita. Its selection of brushes is so great, and you can do everything you need to on it.
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Oct 15, 2016 2:22:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Had this idea about being hung in a stocking:

Would appreciate any critiques. :)
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Oct 15, 2016 7:56:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Scythera. I like the fireworks background you're working on. The water just still seems a bit... off for me. Can't say what it is tho.
@ Acidd. The idea is so fun! But I'd really need to see it with a pirate in it as well. The up and down edges might get cut off and that'd be a shame.
@ Cattrin. Love the idea, but an orange? xD Isn't that more of a summer fruit? Personally I'd think something else fits better there. Maybe a teddybear? Or the pocket rum trinket :P

[Oct 16, 2016 10:55:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

@ Cattrin. Love the idea, but an orange? xD Isn't that more of a summer fruit? Personally I'd think something else fits better there. Maybe a teddybear? Or the pocket rum trinket :P

I agree, oranges are a bit weird, but it's a traditional item to include in stockings. [It's a symbol of St. Nick.]

Plus, he's then wishing his pirate friend to keep the scurvy away.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 16, 2016 11:19:21 AM]
[Oct 16, 2016 11:17:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

I agree, oranges are a bit weird, but it's a traditional item to include in stockings. [It's a symbol of St. Nick.]

Plus, he's then wishing his pirate friend to keep the scurvy away.

Didn't they mainly use lemons for that? xD
Anyway, then my comment was invalid ^^

Ps. I still prefer rum...

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taskbeta at Oct 16, 2016 12:53:29 PM]
[Oct 16, 2016 12:51:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Taskbeta wrote: 
Ps. I still prefer rum...

+1
[Oct 17, 2016 5:39:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pixierain486

@Taskbeta

Thanks for the feedback! :) and yeah I agree with you that my water does look a little off; I think maybe the shadows are on the wrong end or somethin :S

[Oct 18, 2016 8:57:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.cherrycake4.com [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

@Taskbeta

Thanks for the feedback! :) and yeah I agree with you that my water does look a little off; I think maybe the shadows are on the wrong end or somethin :S

I think what might be missing is [the water leaving shadows where it dips down in places]. Yours currently looks more like a sprinkling of yellow and orange petals instead of a reflection on a wavy surface.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 19, 2016 8:38:24 PM]
[Oct 19, 2016 8:37:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Had this idea about being hung in a stocking:

Would appreciate any critiques. :)

As far as being "hung in a stocking"- I think the effect is a bit lost on as the rim swings beneath the pirates feet. I sort of see them standing on the rim.

Also- the upper left and right corners seem a bit empty- though I've no idea what would go there and make sense.

Also also- I'm not sure if you want to toss something behind the pirate (in case of ghostly pirates getting portraits) the present box would look like it's floating at an impossible position!

Also also also- ginger pirates!

(Yikes. Nov 7th? I'll try, but no promises)

~Muse
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Oct 21, 2016 3:51:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Sooo, oddly enough I just came up with the idea for something.
In The Netherlands we have this typical new years treat..
*Oliebollen*
Sooo, any thoughts?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taskbeta at Oct 29, 2016 5:00:41 AM]
[Oct 24, 2016 4:20:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Clotho, is there a reason the new entries are not displayed in the portrait backgrounds category on YPPedia?

[Nov 6, 2016 4:08:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Fixed!!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Nov 6, 2016 12:45:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Fixed!!

Thank you!
[Nov 7, 2016 4:15:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Only a few hours to go!
[Nov 8, 2016 8:01:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Is there any possibility of having an ongoing entry list?

I don't have much time to draw during the semester, but once I'm off for winter break, I can draw so many backgrounds.

With the time that this contest covers, I was hoping it'd have a longer due date than it does.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Nov 8, 2016 9:59:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Yay Cattrin! I saw your entry with the rum jug in it instead of the orange.
I LOVE it...

[Nov 9, 2016 5:17:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Is there any possibility of having an ongoing entry list?

I don't have much time to draw during the semester, but once I'm off for winter break, I can draw so many backgrounds.

With the time that this contest covers, I was hoping it'd have a longer due date than it does.

We do not have a specific schedule, it will depend on many factors, but we can expect a contest to happen every few months, depending on previous contest entries. At this point, I'd say work on things that inspire you, chances are you will be able to use them on any of the upcoming contests!
[Nov 10, 2016 4:53:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomo10

Re: LE Portrait Background Contest - Revamped Edition! [In Judging] Reply to this Post

Acidd Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Randomo10 at Nov 29, 2016 12:29:58 AM]
[Nov 29, 2016 12:26:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates