• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 378
Posts: 378   Pages: 13   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 71272 times and has 377 replies Next Thread
Pianoman1125

A Holy Crusade Against the "P" Word Reply to this Post

Ack, arrgh, and so many servings of ugh! I am filled with disgust, loathing, and downright primeval hatred for this word. I see it brandied about like so much common English where it's not even fit for life on the lowest levels of 1337 speak. My ears bleed with it's usage and my heart falls with it's proliferation.

Thy demons of hell, thou shalt return this word to the abyss from whence it came and leave us sea faring pirates in peace!

I spit at thee, I denounce thee, I question thee's manhood and then pull down thee's pants and laugh at thine inadequacy!

How dare you breech our fair shores with your audible tones let alone your very existence. We, the learned of the ocean shall stamp you out and all who follow you. Your bones will become rattles for our children and your brains...will probably just sit inside your heads cause touching those is kinda icky.

I hear this word and the sounds of gushing waterfalls of lava fill my brain; of waves and waves of vile liquid and bile. Spittle incarnate I claim thee and disgusting facet of dish water I pronounce.

Pirates of the ocean, unite in this crusade! This word must be stopped before it is too late. Before it has claimed our souls and the souls of generations to come and degraded them into levels of unspeakable horror that one darest not imagine.

From the depths of the ocean we will strike at thee and in numbers incomprehensible we will come and blot out the very soul of this word; this plague; this epidemic; this...this...

PILLY!

Gahh! It hurts to even type it. My eyes, my eyes! The saline flows freely!

Fight back and return to us the language we love so dearly. Where pillage is a event defined by greatness in navigation and sailing and pilly is what I did when I first woke up this morning in my pajamas. I see pilly across crew chat and I wish to guard the eyes of all children present for fear they go outside and evacuate themselves on the front lawn. This epidemic must be stopped and only you can keep the banner flying instead of dripping from the flag pole.

Up the pillage! The true test of greatness. Down the pilly! The true test of water retention. Only together can we retrieve order and stem this chaos from the ocean. You have the power, you have the right, you have the education and correct grammar and syntax to formulate socially acceptable sentences and not perpetuate inane references to the human excretory system!

So next time someone asks you: "Yo, wanna pilly?"

Simply reply, "No thanks, I just went!

~The Maestro
Coalition for the Cessation of the Usage of the Word that Reminds Muffynz of Urine (CCUWRMU)
----------------------------------------
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Feb 22, 2007 11:03:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Majortom

Re: A Holy Crusade Against the "P" Word Reply to this Post

Great post, and excellent use of satire. So much so, in fact, that I'll admit that I'm not quite sure how serious you are. While I don't share your erm....enthusiasm...as much, I do agree in principle. I've never understood why some mates insist on using the word "pilly" when "pillage" is only 2 letters more. Ahh, the laziness.

Majortom,
Supporter of the CCUWRMU
Senior Officer of All For Rum
Prince of Wicked Peace
-Hunter Ocean

[Feb 22, 2007 11:31:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorenith

Ok so chat speak used to irritate me a tad...but really I stopped careing at some point, it actualy does seem easier for the much slower bad typers to negate letters here and there, so I've decided to live with it.

Or maybe I just stopped careing when my mom (doctorate in psycology and running her own practice) started playing pp and even she uses chat speak....
Lorenith-Sage
[Feb 23, 2007 12:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://lorenith.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Hey Muffy, wanna get briggy wif it?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 23, 2007 1:04:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

Wanna sloopy it up wif me and me wenchies?
Chrisspy
[Feb 23, 2007 1:08:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

Hey Muffy, wanna get briggy wif it?

Horrible. I mean, I've never understood why some mates insist on using the word "Muffy" when "Muffynz" is only 2 letters more. Ahh, the laziness.

Where Muffynz is a forum-tart defined by duty navigation and Shanty Raidio jockeying, muffy is um... NSFW.

Oh, and purple is still the colour of sarcasm, yes?
/e goes off to briggy wif' Sweetie
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Feb 23, 2007 1:12:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

I hereby sign up for the holy crusade against the word "Pilly," provided Muffynz joins my crusade against the word "Lucker."

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Feb 23, 2007 4:57:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

I have to say, me and another SO in my crew have long been campaigning against this horrific butchering of the piratey/English language.

I heartily endorse this. I regularly have to correct my officers fowl use of the word, until now I felt that our efforts were futile, that me and the other SO were fighting a lost cause. You have given this pirate hope. I salute you!!!
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[Feb 23, 2007 5:03:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I'm all for being against it.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Feb 23, 2007 6:38:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinbad

I heartily endorse the crusade against the Non-Word "Pilly".

It has been a pet peeve of mine since I started playing Y!PP, and in the past have been quick to correct crew and even flag mates on the inappropriateness of its usage. A savage act of blasting holes in another ship, boarding it and gutting your foe to take their wordly possesions should not be cheapened with a big, brown, puppy-dog-eyes cute moniker such as ::winces:: "Pilly".

Muffynz, thank you for taking the awareness of this epidemic to a global scale. I salute you!
A Nefarious Miscreant
It's not an Avatar, it's an AvaTart
Truvie wrote: 
Just remember...Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid is forever!

[Feb 23, 2007 7:49:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

I think he's just trying to bait a certain sheepish monarch back to the game.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Feb 23, 2007 8:29:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
desko9

You Christians sure do a lot of fighting.
[Feb 23, 2007 9:01:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
djibouti

I'm looking at left field, and I'm still not sure where that came from.
Crispix
Pirates of the Damned
Yar, the laws of science be a harsh mistress.
[Feb 23, 2007 10:23:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I'm looking at left field, and I'm still not sure where that came from.

At a guess:
Thread Title wrote: 
A Holy Crusade

Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Feb 23, 2007 10:29:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mibshubby

Guilty as charged. I don't know how I started using the shortened version but I will from now on use the correct spelling - pillage.

Thank you;
Mibshubby on Hunter, Malachite, & Sage

I have been diagnosed with ADOS - Attention Deficit Oooo Shiney!
[Feb 23, 2007 11:15:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mibshubby [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

Are you down with "P"? Yeah you know me!
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Feb 23, 2007 11:17:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Pilly is for sweaters. Reply to this Post

I prefer the netespeak replacements I came up with for the crew news. >.>

P'lizzle, Pillz0r, Pill, and u giv poez.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 23, 2007 12:24:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Hohumdiddly

Re: Pilly is for sweaters. Reply to this Post

Why would I want to waste more energy than necessary to type out pillage?

1) With those two extra letters, you could have already written "NO"

2) The word pilly can be written with 1 hand while the word pillage requires 2 hands.

With a beer surgically implanted into my left hand, it's WAY too much effort to take the beer out, place it on the table, move my hand out of the circular position when i could just type the letter "Y" instead.

Hohum (Today's program is brought to you by the letter Y)
Mazi says, "and i have freckles"
Mazi says, "and i turn into a big freckle when exposed to rays of light"
Prosperity says, "I get cute little freckles on my nosey"
[Feb 23, 2007 4:41:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ottoia

The word pilly can be written with 1 hand while the word pillage requires 2 hands.

Really? I don't know about other people, but I'm able to move my right hand four inches to the left (or vice versa), thus making use of each part of the keyboard even when one hand is busy lifting a cup of tea. It doesn't even require any notable effort.
Ottoia (Midnight)
[Feb 23, 2007 5:26:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cinder.nu    21080049 [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Dear Darling Muffy,

Pilly. Pilly pilly pilly pilly. Pilly pill pill pilly pill. Pill. Pill. Pilly.

<3
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 23, 2007 6:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cairi

Pagan pirates pilly?
Eurydice wrote: 
it always scares the bejeebers out of me when I'm looking at petitions and all of a sudden WEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOO someone wardecs us.

and told Rummy:

Hades wants you. He's just too shy to say it.

[Feb 23, 2007 7:39:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

At least I'm not the only one cringing at the word "pilly." While we're at it, can we kill the word sloopy too? Every time I hear it, I get "Hang on Sloopy" playing in my head.

When I'm in a really good mood, (or a really snarky one), I'll poke fun over fo about "pilly"s being broadcast. It's like nails on a chalkboard.
Jolyma

[Feb 24, 2007 12:14:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LevelSlayer

At least I'm not the only one cringing at the word "pilly." While we're at it, can we kill the word sloopy too? Every time I hear it, I get "Hang on Sloopy" playing in my head.

Hahaha, Stalked! btw That song gets stuck in my head too when I hear Sloopy, although I think we went thru that b4, lol..

On a lighter note, "Pilly" dunno haven't really thought abt it, brings up something kinda interesting now, I think I'll have to side with ya, but I think I'll still stay in the habit of saying it for a while..:P
Slayergurl on Malachite
Slayergurl on Viridian

Apollo says, "I am very very scared of Slayergurl's stick, to the extent that I will invent task lists and log off to avoid a confrontation with it."

[Feb 24, 2007 4:36:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/tredinnick    slayer_gurl484 [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Always makes me want to say something like, "I'm going to grab suty and see if he'll pilly on my bote on middy".
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Feb 24, 2007 5:39:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
dolem

After this thread plays out, I'd careful if your pirate's name is Bigpilly.
[Feb 24, 2007 9:58:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ladykyriel

I, too, dispise the word "pilly" almost as much as I dispise the word "sloopy." While on the topic, I don't much care for the word "lucker" either even though I've not had any personal experience with it.

All three words sound like some inconvenient personal hygiene problem to me.

~takes herself off to Viridian Parley to put the term "Pilly" in the tart thread started there~

And many apologies for any misspellations used here-in.
Is no longer kidnapped and counting down the days when she can be kidnapped again!
[Feb 24, 2007 11:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Hahaha, Stalked! btw That song gets stuck in my head too when I hear Sloopy, although I think we went thru that b4, lol..

On a lighter note, "Pilly" dunno haven't really thought abt it, brings up something kinda interesting now, I think I'll have to side with ya, but I think I'll still stay in the habit of saying it for a while..:P

Ahh!!! You really DO follow me everywhere!

:p
Jolyma

[Feb 24, 2007 1:39:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Hee-hee. I'd rather say pillage than pilly. That sounds like a kid.

Reminds of when I occassionally play WoW and there's people talking about thier "pallies" and their "toons". If I see anyone referring to their character as 'toons', I'll immediately put them on my ignore list....gah.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Feb 24, 2007 2:06:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Certain terms remind me of senile ladies talking to their lapdogs.

"Does Snookum-wookums want to go on a willy pilly? Snookums wants a treatsie-wheatsie, yes he does! Yes he does!"
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 24, 2007 5:28:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
ladykyriel

I don't know if there's something in teh water but this is the second post that I've read in ten minutes that's made me almost fall off my chair from laughing so hard.

Tilinka, your post made me realize why I dislike the terms Pilly, Sloopy, Briggy, Crewbie and Flaggie. They all sound cutesy. Save me from the bane of cutesyness.

I must admit that I have been occasionally guilty of use of the word "Flaggie." I hence-forth strike it from my vocabulary. Anyone who catches me using it in any way other than sarcasm may call me on it in whatever manner they see fit.
Is no longer kidnapped and counting down the days when she can be kidnapped again!
[Feb 24, 2007 6:49:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 378   Pages: 13   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates